[Zurlane] Chapter 2: Kingdom of Hierdsvain

Started by Throndir, August 01, 2018, 11:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Licel

Upon hearing Alvilda's question I feel a mixture of pain, gratitude, and sorrow retch up and punch me inside.

"Alvilda?..." My voice quivers. "I... must ask you to understand something." I knee right in front of her. "Though I have only just met you I care about you quite a bit and your open heart and open arms shine so brightly." I say as my eyes well up again with tears. "I am about to embark on one of the most difficult challenges of my life, it is a quest I have asked myself to trudge through and there will be much pain along the way. There will be pain for those who would come with me and there will be pain that I may have to swallow myself, pain so bitter it may destroy me." I say as the tears stream down my face.

I move my face up to Alvilda's ear and begin to whisper. "My star is out there and I intend to set her free. I will give her, her own body, mind, and free will. After that I will set her free. If she chooses she may come be with me and we may have a family, grow old and pass together. This what I wish deep inside, in my heart of hearts..." I begin to sob. "However I am afraid sometimes Alvilda. What if... what if she wishes for something or someone else? What if she does not feel the same way I do? What if she curses what I have done to her, to make her mortal, to leave her in a body that is capable of suffering? Do the stars suffer Alvilda? Do they ever wish to be among us on the ground looking up at them? I do not know what will become of me Alvilda or if I am even strong enough to embark on the path my heart pains me to walk, but this I feel to be a universal truth..." I take a deep breath again trying to calm myself. "... if you truly love someone, you must also love them enough to set them free... you must leave yourself open to be hurt and like the ocean and a wave, if they come back then they must truly love you too."

I pull my face back so that I look into Alvilda's eyes "If I survive and my star decides that I am not the one she chooses to shine for... I will return here to this place and if you still feel the same way for me, you may be my second star."
Thank you for letting me fight in the war.

Throndir

Avilda listened carefully to your words. But as you continued her demeanor started to become more and more somber. She had just finished tying the last strap, and situating it properly to your body, but her shoulders soon slumped, and the fires in her eyes just moments ago had vanished. It was instead replaced with two red orbs filled with sadness.

"Thine words trouble my heart so." She shook her head then, trying to push away the troubling thoughts.

"Mayhaps it shalt be one day." She continued as she herself checked one last time over her own armor. "But a battle to be fought awaits us, mine hero." She made her way towards the exit of the building - where the sounds of fighting continued to echo from.

"Praytell hero, before we engage our foes, wilst thou tell me thy name?"  She requested sincerely, drawing a sword out in the process and preparing herself to jump into the fray.

QuoteOnce you are prepped, roll initiative, just a simply DEX check.

Licel

"Avilda..." I reach my hand out in her direction "... I want you to know that... everything I told you. I took no pleasure in saying. I just want to be honest with you. I want you to know that I have nothing to hide and it pains me that I have pierced your heart so... I told you those things because I respect you and I do not want to lead you on..." I retract my hand as though a great heat is between us. "... I just wish to ask for your forgiveness and... I wanted to say... I was hoping that... will you still... be my friend?"

I move to a bench and I sit down. "My name is Zurlane by the way."

I take a deep breath. "If you don't mind Avilda, I'll join you in just a moment. I need to gather my thoughts and then I will rush out to the battle behind you."

Once she walks away I take a moment to breath in and out very deeply. "Aurora... all of those things that I've said... the story about the star... my wishes for us... I... how did I make you feel? I just... I wanted to say I'm sorry... I meant to tell you those things differently, at a different time when it was just the two of us."

I take a deep breath again as I prepare myself for Aurora's answer and find my center. I stand up and grab my rapier and crossbow. I slowly slide my rapier into my sheathe and load my crossbow with a bolt. I turn my body in the direction that Avilda ran and I begin to walk, my mind on the task at hand. I take no pleasure in what I am about to do.

Initiative
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+5 : 20 + 5, total 25[/blockquote]

Throndir

"Friends?" She said. "If I mayst not be thy... star..." You noticed her voice quiver. Her back was faced towards you; you couldn't see her face.

"Then mayhaps I can indeed be thy friend and companion as thou says."

"Thy tower that crashed down? Mayhaps too shalt I help thee build thy tower. Piece by piece ever shalt I, thy companion and friend, be by thy side." She paused for a long moment.

"Mayhaps too, then shalt you finally reach thy star that thou longs for. Mayhaps all thou hath ever needed twas a friend to passeth thee the bricks to build the foundations, as thou builds ever skywards."

[spoiler][/spoiler]

You see her wipe something off her face from behind, but she said no more.

"The allegory of the star... I..." Aurora paused as if she didn't know what to say. "I understand what you really meant Zurlane. Right now I am half of your soul. You want me to become whole, to have my own body, to be able to see the world through your eyes. But... right now we are one? It is all I've ever known. I hear your thoughts, your words spoken from your heart. Your dreams, your desires. I've seen you grow since you were a baby."

"There are many thoughts that come to my mind, thoughts that I've never had before. I believe these are emotions. But I do not understand them Zurlane. They make me insufficient, and inadequate. They cause me to hesitate, even now when I am speaking to you like this."

"I do not know how I... feel. "

"Zurlane! Incoming at 3 o' clock." Aurora interrupted.

At that particular moment, part of the walls of the building you were in exploded.

QuoteAgility checked requested. You gain a bonus from Aurora's senses, I'll add in that modifier myself though.

When the dust settled a large creature appeared from the settling dust and debris. The creature stood at least 12 ft. tall. It was squat, had a large and round belly, and thick, rounded legs. It had massive arms that were thick with muscle, while its head was shaped like an elephants. Though without a trunk or tusk. Instead it had four horns that sprouted from the back of its head.

Licel

As the creature bursts into the room I attempt to dive and roll out of the way of the debris and the creature itself barreling into the room putting myself between the beast and Alvilda.

Agility
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+5 : 1 + 5, total 6[/blockquote]

I bring my crossbow up instinctively as it were a rifle and naturally sight on the beast in the room. All I can see is rage. For an instant I see Avilda's face covered with tears and Aurora's smiling face turning somber flashing in my mind, and like a flash the beast again is in my sights. I yell as I pull the trigger, the only thing I know to be true now is that this beast must die.

Crossbow attack (Dexterity)
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+5 : 3 + 5, total 8[/blockquote]

Throndir

[info]Agility: 6
You attempted to get out of the way, but you weren't quick enough some of the sharper pieces of the wall managed to pierce hit you.

Crossbow Attack
You attempted to attack, but your positioning was off, and you bolt missed.[/info]Alvilda started saying some words then.

"Vindr! Gather the storm, wrap thee in torrential winds. Air Shield!" As she chanted you saw what looked like white colored motes of light appear around her, finally when she announced 'Air Shield', the motes of light sped towards you and cycled around you.

Just a moment later, the large demon lumbered over to you, with a giant fist leading the way. You attempted to get out of the way, and you noticed that the air shield slowed the incoming fist, but it wasn't enough. The fist came crashing straight into your chest, blowing the air our.

[info]Rough Status
Zurlane: Badly Wounded (debris, hit from demon), affected by Wind Shield[/info]

[include u=2]
Zurlane: -16
[/include]

Licel

I stumble from the impact and gathering my balance toss aside my crossbow and draw my rapier.

I stab right into the creature in front of me.

Sword attack (Strength)
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+4 : 15 + 4, total 19[/blockquote]

Throndir

QuoteRapier Damage Dice is 1d6, feel free to roll that for next time.

Stepping forward, you attempt to pierce your rapier through the creature, and you managed to hit it, however, your attack didn't have enough power behind it, and the weapon's blade glanced off.

"Steinn! Gather and harden, be the protective armor! Hardened Carapace!"

With that, pieces of the rubble strewn about you suddenly picked themselves up and created a thick layer of stone around you. Augmenting your current armor. Surprisingly, you found that you could still move freely, as the rocks themselves seemed to move out of the way from your movements.

The demon then lunged towards you, following a series of attacks. Two punches, and an attempt to bite. Thankfully, as you moved out of the way of its attacks, though its large fists and bite managed to hit you, due to both the deflecting winds and hardened stone that covered you, you were able to come out unscathed.

[info]Rough Status
Zurlane: Badly Wounded (debris, hit from demon), affected by Wind Shield, affected by Hardened Carapace.
Demon: Uninjured
Alvilda: Uninjured[/info]

[include u=2]
Zurlane: -16, +5 AC Deflection, +5 AC Natural

MP Alvilda: -10
[/include]

Licel

Rapier damage

[blockquote]Rolled 1d6 : 5, total 5[/blockquote]

Upon hitting the creature and drawing some blood a small amount of confidence returns. "Aurora, can you give me a weak spot on this creature, I don't have a lot of ideas right now." I say moving in for another strike.

Rapier Strike

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+8 : 10 + 8, total 18[/blockquote]

Rapier damage

[blockquote]Rolled 1d6 : 5, total 5[/blockquote]

Throndir

As you stepped forward to attack it again, your attack missed. The large barrel-armed demon continued its relentless assault. It swung its left hand but missed, it followed it up with trying to snap you in its large jaws, but that too, missed.

As you dodged the bite, it left you vulnerable. The demon's other fist was headed straight towards you.

"Zurlane!" Alvilda yelled out in alarm. The girl came from behind and pushed you out of the way, knocking you down as Alvilda took the full brunt of the demon's attack.

[error]Alvilda takes a critical hit for you. You are also now Prone (move action to get up, triggers AoO)[/error]The fist slammed into her body, the impact causing her to cough up some blood. The valkyrie was then sent flying into one of the building's walls. That impact too, caused her to bleed even further. To your surprise, she managed to stay standing.

[info]Rough Status
Zurlane: Badly Wounded (debris, hit from demon), affected by Wind Shield, affected by Hardened Carapace, Prone.
Alvilda: Badly Wounded (critical hit from demon)[/info]

[include u=2]
Alvilda: -32

MP Alvilda: -10[/include]

Licel

OOC: I am spending two heroic point for DM help.

I get up from prone, ensure my crossbow and rapier are still with me and run to run where Alvilda slammed into the wall,

"Alvilda! We have to get out of here this demon is too strong!"

My eyes dart to all available exits.

"Aurora scan for all possible exits to safety and any possible locations with concentrations of Valkyre."

"Take my hand, we can outrun this thing, don't give up on me now! We can fight another day."

Throndir

As you attempt to get up, the large beastly demon found an opportunity to attack, however, combined with all the enchantments on your armor, you managed to avoid the hit. Suddenly in your head words appeared.

[okay]Your wish is granted.[/okay]Then further words appeared in your head.

[okay]Earned New Title: The Chosen of a God[/okay]
"Z-Zurlane..." Avilda coughed up blood, as she held her chest with one arm, the other still gripping her sword. "A-allow thy companion to... distract it whilst thou... escapes."

She forced herself to say, her eyes lit with fire.

"I thought that I hath used up all of mine spirit and soul to summon thee to mine world... But... I feel it." When she said this, the colors of her eyes suddenly flashed an even brighter red as if they were glowing.

"Spirit." With that, a red wispy glow seemed to start covering her hands and arms.

"System Mana Railgun unlocked." Aurora said suddenly. "I-it worked!" Aurora hurriedly explained.

"I had been attempting to reroute my own system to interface with one of the locked modules. It kept denying me, but suddenly one of the systems unlocked... I'm... I'm actually unsure why."

"Aurora scan for all possible exits to safety and any possible locations with concentrations of Valkyrie."

"I'll begin scanning." From her previous attempts, you knew that scanning the area will take a few seconds. Already the large demon was preparing for another set of strikes.

QuoteYou can't take any actions, but you can quickly call out what you plan to do given the revelations above.

Turn order:  Zurlane, Aurora, Alvilda, Demon

Aurora is currently attempting to scan, you can still cancel that and ask her to do something else.

[info]Rough Status
Zurlane: Badly Wounded (debris, hit from demon), affected by Wind Shield, affected by Hardened Carapace, Prone.

[include u=2]

Licel

"I'm not leaving without you. We have to go now!" I say as I reach out my hand. "You sent me to this world to be a hero and I'm going to save you. I need you to trust me!"

"Aurora cancel scan, target the creature's legs or eyes with railgun, give it all you've got! We probably only have one shot at this!" I yell as I raise my other hand towards the demon.

Throndir

"N-not yet!" Alvilda said resolutely, her eyes shining with intensity. The red glow you had seen earlier had now completely covered her blade, it had spread across her whole entire body as she was bathed in its warm red light.

"Thy companion hath enough for one last shot." The valkyrie raised her sword.

"Affirmative. Cancelling scan. Initiating Mana Railgun protocol. Systems nominal. Energy requirements sufficient. Flow systems operational. Locking on target." Suddenly a blue circle appeared in front of you, aimed at the demon, as electricity gathered at the center.

"What is that Zurlane?" Alvilda asked, a hint of awe in her voice. "Tis not magic? Tis a hero's power?" She steeled herself however, as she realized the phenomenon was gathering energy at an alarming rate, with the circle itself pointed towards at the demon. She understood then, and her own blade started to glow red more fiercely.

"Spirits of mine ancestors, and souls of mine forebears be with me." Alvilda said quietly to your side, the sword she held continued to glow even more brightly and fierce.

"Peak capacity reached." Aurora announced, the electricity and blue fire coalesced into a small point at the middle of the circle.

"Mana Railgun!"

"Spirit Rend!"

Both the red slash and the mana-charged railgun fired off. Both managed to hit their target. For just a brief second, everything was silent, as everyone held their breath. There was a loud explosion. The smell of charred flesh assaulted your senses, as smoke and steam completely covered the demon where it was once standing.

Soon enough the smoke dissipated.

[info]111 damage dealt.[/info]But the demon was still there.

"It can't be." Alvilda said in shock, as she held herself up against the nearby wall.

"That was everything I had." Aurora said after.

But the demon didn't move. And a second later it crumpled into the ground.

Words flashed in your mind.

[okay]You have gained a new title『Demon Slayer』
You have gained +1 MAG
You leveled up.
You leveled up.
You leveled up.
You leveled up.
You leveled up.
You have gained a new title『Fleeting Tinkerer』
You have gained +2 INT
You leveled up.
You are now level 21. Spend your unallocated points.[/okay][info]Note, I usually keep damage numbers hidden, but there was a crit involved for an epic moment.

Rough Status
Demon: Dead

[include u=2]
Demon: -111

Licel

I lean back against the wall looking at the steaming corpse of the demon. I feel winded and ache all over. "Amazing job Aurora... Are you alright? That was probably the most incredible thing you've ever done! To think you were capable of such awesome feats! I can't wait to see what you'll be able to do when you unlock all of your other abilities. Are you still able to scan and do other things or do you need to take a break for a bit?"

I look over at Alvilda and reach my hand over to wipe away a little bit of the blood that was on her face from when she coughed it up earlier and  put my hand on her shoulder. "You saved my life back there, I wanted to thank you for that." I lean in and give her a kiss on the cheek. "You're my hero now." I give her a wink and a smile. "I have to say you're a remarkable fighter, I'm glad you're on my side."

I remember the situation we've found ourselves in and check to make sure nothing was knocked off of my person in the fight with the demon."It's probably not safe to be here any longer. Which way should we go?"

[info]Head to Chapter 3: Ride of the Valkyries[/info]