Chapter 01 - The Company of the New Dawn and the Tomb of Akhentepi

Started by pringerbeam, May 14, 2018, 08:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pringerbeam

The priest at the next table is shuffling through a sheaf of papers when you arrive and pulls out a piece of paper.  "The tomb of Akhentepi is a mausoleum located on the northeast end of the necropolis.  located... here."  The priest points down onto a detailed map of the necropolis laid out on the table.  "Here are some direction to find the tomb."  He hands you the paper he was searching for previously.  On it you see a rough sketch of the main avenues of the necropolis and a circle where the tomb supposedly is located as well as some ancient osirian heiroglyphs.  "The heiroglyphs there with allow you to identify the tomb if you do not know how to read them.  Further I will remind you of the rules of the expedition: there will be no sacrilege conducted within the necropolis, all sites are to be treated with equal respect, and the peaceful dead are to be left to rest undisturbed.  Failure to follow these rules will result in ejection from the lottery and forfeiture of any valuables you've taken from the necropolis followed by arrest and prosecution.  We will be performing spot inspections to ensure compliance.  Now, do you have any questions?  If not please move along, others are waiting."

[info]Knowledge: Local
If you have heard of the tomb you don't remember anything about it.[/info]

jammermoore

Noland nods yes quietly while looking at the paper wondering what the glyphs say exactly. Once the priest is done talking Noland heads back to group to share to infromation about the tomb to them. Once Noland gets back to the group"hey guys the crypt we got is The Tomb of Akhentepi and here is the paper with the name and location on it."

Oath

Lydia looks over the paper after Noland returns. She was unsure if she would call any of the buildings in this area a crypt but she got the point.

We should make sure that we have everything we need before we go. When do we want to start our adventure?"

It was short. and to the point but the map gave them all of the information they needed to know. Lydia wondered what Akhentepi had in store for them.

jammermoore

As Lydia speaks Noland also wonders what is in the tomb, but the excitement of possible wealth is to much for him to stay quite,  "I got all the supplies I need in my pack, I'm ready when you guys are!" As he blurts that out in the back of his mind he then wonders if they are the only group going to this tomb or is this a race.

SleepingSkeleton

"I'm pretty sure the priestess said tomorrow at dawn was when they would be opening the gates.  There are several  types of undead that fear the light, so it would be best to have the most of it.  Though I do wish it was sooner as well.  Sitting by and waiting while knowing there is a menace to be fought is not my favorite."  Alaya looks over at the walls surrounding the necropolis again.  "Perhaps we could find where the closest entrance to our tomb is, at least that would give us something to do.  Or we could see how our new friends fare with their drawing, though I couldn't tell you anything about either our spot or theirs I'm sure," Alaya gestures to the Bronze Eagles.

pringerbeam

Rogan waves off the offer of company.  "Oh, no need to wait I'm sure we will have a chance to catch up.  I've heard that a few of the adventuring parties are looking to gather tomorrow night at the Tooth and Hookah to share experiences from the first day of exploration.  If we don't see you later today, I'm sure we will see you there or at the opening of the gates tomorrow."

[info]While there are two gates of entry into the necropolis, an East and West gate, only the west gate will be opened for the expeditions in order to allow the Pharasmans to control access to the necropolis.[/info]

KAKnyght

"There are other supplies we could use in this venture, but barring a stipend from home office (OOC: Note 1) or from the city itself, (OOC: Note 2) I can not imagine we can afford further supplies." I wonder to myself about rumors I heard growing of "sponsorships" that the local nobility would offer (Skill Check: Knowledge Nobility), I would consider asking for a loan for the group from the tribe, but according to my friend Izci they have already left the area and Izci came on her own to see me.(OOC: Note 3)

[info]Note 1: referring to the Iron Tempest, something I am completely unaware of being a possibility[/info]
[info]Note 2: I don't personally don't know if Wati has any sort of bank, or if either the Wati City Council or the Pharasman church would offer loans in such a risky situation. And I don't know what skill would neccessarily give a player indication on the local trade customs, other than Appraise, but that isn't a knowledge skill. Just seems like an idea to bring forth to the group.[/info]
[info]Note 3: the person Sehra was speaking with before rejoining the group; done narratively so I can't just depend on my tribe just because they are normally local to area. Which I assume is unnecessary to suggest because I'm not the DM lol[/info]
[info]Knowledge Nobility check This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 1d20+8 : 11 + 8, total 19[/info]

pringerbeam

[info]The city does contain a rather sizeable temple of Abadar (god of cities, merchants, and wealth) that conducts banking services as most large temples to Abadar do.  However, they have made it publicly known that they are not interested in financing any of the expeditions into the necropolis though they are happy to offer their banking services to those looking to store their riches after a successful exploration.

Knowledge: Nobility
Most of the nobles of the city have chosen to avoid getting into the expedition business not out of financial concern but because they are looking to avoid the local contest between the Mahfres and Okhenti, the two most influential noble estates in Wati.  Word has it that they have hired adventuring parties of their own to explore the ruins for profit and historical research that they might use against their rival.
[/info]

KAKnyght

"Well, if no one has any other ideas, I suggest we get convene for the night. If anyone needs to take care of any personal business, now is the time."

jammermoore

"Sounds good guys I'll meet up with you in the morning at The Tooth and Hookah. Have a good night." Noland starts to get ready to head back to the The Tall Mast to sleep and get ready for the expedition.

pringerbeam

Rogan and the Bronze Eagles see you off with a farewell as they continue to wait for their turn at the lottery.  Those of you that return to the Tooth and Hookah return to a busy evening of customers buzzing with talk of the day's main event.  The Bronze Eagles don't seem to arrive before you retire for the evening.

Nolan
     You return to Bargetown as the sun begins to set.  There, among the creaking of wood and the gurgling of the Sphinx, you find your way blocked by a hulking garundi man with two even more hulking goons.  You know the man as Utep, a local thug that works for one of the local crime syndicates known as the Fading.  "Hey there Nolan.  Word  has it you're moving up in the world.  Mot here says he saw you at the lottery earlier."  He says nodding his head to the twins behind him who you know as Mot and Tesh.  They are leaning against some of the mooring posts flicking dates at eachother's mouths.   "And he says you were up on stage, getting into the lottery.  I'm surprised none of the Pharasmans remembered you from your grave robbing.  Sure would have been awkward for them to peg you for a thief up in front of the whole town."

jammermoore

Noland looks around to see who else was watching
[info]perception check[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+5 : 5 + 5, total 10[/blockquote][/info]
"Hey Utep"Noland takes a breath "Yeah after the last time being caught I was given a choice ether join a group and be a guide or go to jail for the rest of my life. It was an easy choice to stay out of jail. Enough about me want to do want? Noland is trying to figure out what Utep would want from him.

pringerbeam

Nolan
     "Right to business eh?  Well that makes things easy.  You know what the Fading is all about: making mumia.  Well see the problem is with the lottery going on the necropolis is crawling with pharasman warrior priests and that makes our job getting mummies out of there a lot harder.  Can't get in without a permit and even if you do, its hard to keep out of sight with all the surveying that the church is up to.  And that's where you come in.  You've got a permit, you can walk around like you own the place.  We at the Fading like a guy with that kinda access.  Everyone knows you're sweet on that girl at the Tall Mast.  You need some extra scratch to show her a good time?  We have an offer: five hundred gold pieces for every mummy you can get to us.  What do ya say?"  Utep finishes his proposition by pulling his coin purse out from his belt and giving it a jingle.  The sound of the coins rings out among the quiet groaning of the floating district.

[info]Perception
The coast appears all clear.  The city guard that is a rare enough site in Bargetown doesn't appear to be around.[/info]

jammermoore

"You keep Liss out of this." Noland looks at the bag of coin "five hundred per, that interesting. I'll see what I can do if it that heavily guarded I might not get a chance." Noland looks around "For now I'll act like this conversation never happened and i'll find you after the first expedition to go over the details." Noland waves at Utep and starts walking away.

pringerbeam

Nolan
     "The offer stands."  Says Utep as you walk away.  "If you want to make some money just find me at the Hippo's Tusk"  He calls out as you turn the corner, referring to one of the taverns of Bargetown.

[info]End game day[/info]