Chapter 01 - The Company of the New Dawn and the Tomb of Akhentepi

Started by pringerbeam, May 14, 2018, 08:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SleepingSkeleton

"They may not be of my church, but I can read a prayer inscription.  I've seen crypts before, and that city is not a safe place to go into for anyone living.  Be careful in there.  I'd hate to see anyone added to the number who we need to slay in there."  Alaya casts an eye to the walls of the necropolis. "That said, I'm quite ready to get over to them and help cull the undead from this city.  Standing around and waiting in hot armor is worse than at leas having a plan of action and something evil to smite.  Perhaps we can share stories of what we find in there tonight back at the inn."

Oath

Lydia hovered near the conversation, standing relaxed against a nearby wall. She listened to her companions speak intently. Her foot tapping the ground impatiently, anticipation for the lottery building. Her ears perked up as Alaya mentioned the undead. It clicked with her for the first time.

"Wait... there will be undead here?" It made so much sense. For some reason she had been anticipating creatures like spiders and other common adventuring fare. She could feel her heart racing, the excitement climbing into her throat.

"When do we start?!" a sly smile crept onto her face. It was hard for Lydia to hide her excitement. She left home for new experiences and now there was one waiting right in front of her.

She turned away from the party and stared towards the location that the announcement would be taking place, barely able to contain herself.

pringerbeam

As if to punctuate that last sentence, the peal of a gong rings out across the marketplace.  "Apparently now.  Thank you for all your advice.  I guess it's up to the draw now.  Hopefully we will all benefit from good fortune."  The gong rings out again from the platform at the end of the marketplace where now a number of priests of Pharasma stand.  The Bronze Eagles all turn to watch the platform along with just about every other head in the market.  The sounds of the market die down to a dull whisper and then near silence as a third ring of the gong sounds.
One of the priests steps forward from among those gathered on the stage.  "I am Sebti, High Priestess of Pharasma of our fair city of Wati.  I know many of you come from miles abroad and are seeking to enter the necropolis and it is for you whom I would like to speak."  The High Priestess's voice carries throughout the market despite her slim appearance.  "It was more than two thousand years ago that the city of Wati, founded upon the sacred joining of the Crook and the Asp which gives birth to the river Sphinx, was beset by a horrible plague.  The city was devastated as its people died in the streets.  Those who did not flee the plague were left to die and rot.  Their horrific deaths left this place a haunted city of the dead and it would be almost five hundred years before the devout priest of Pharasma Nefru Shepses would come to the cursed ruins and consecrate the city.  Through their great work and dedication, the city was made a holy place and the great walls of the necropolis were erected along with the Grand Mausoleum."  At this she sweeps her hand out to gesture towards the massive temple behind her.  "With the completion of their work, a shooting star fell into the Sphinx as a sign from Pharasma and was used to construct the great monolith just within the gates known as Pharasma's Needle: the capstone of the monolith forged from her auspicious gift."
     "Now it is by royal decree that the ancient places of our land be opened up for those of you to explore.  But I must remind you that this is a holy city and that beyond those walls is a sacred place.  This is why we have decided to hold this ceremony.  We will not have the necropolis overrun by grave robbers.  There will be order and the Lady of Graves shall grace you all with which sites you shall be fated to explore.  You will each be assigned three sites to explore.  You must complete each site before you are given the location of the next.  While you are allowed to take whatever artifacts or wealth you might find in your investigations we ask that you pay your respects to the honored dead of this place and let the mortal remains you find remain at rest.  We will not tolerate the desecration of these sites and willful vandalism of the dead will involve summary ejection from the exploration of the necropolis.  While encountering the undead will likely necessitate this, this is the only exception.  Even a pauper's grave is a holy place, every slave's hut a memorial.  Respect must be paid in this holy place.  And finally, while it should not need saying, there is not to be any fighting among groups.  We will have our own temple members patrolling the ruins in order to make sure you are all compliant."
     "Now, with these rules in mind the lottery will begin.  Those of you who have registered with the temple will nominate a member of your party to come forth when you are called to receive your first site and its location.  The necropolis gates shall be opened tomorrow at dawn where you will present your token for admission.  Now, may Pahrasma's grace grant you all good fortune."  With this final announcement, Sebti turns to the priests behind her who bring out two urns.  One of the priests sticks their hand into the urn before them and pulls out a wooden token before handing it to Sebti.  The baited breath of the entire market is held before she calls out.  "The Cryptfinders.  Please send your representative to the stage."  The market seems to relax as the first party's representative approaches the stage.  Conversations start back up, albeit at a lower tone, as the selection process gets underway.  Rogan and Suffrei turn back towards your group while Sharasha keeps her eyes and ears on the stage.  "Well that sure was something eh?"  Says Rogan.

Oath

With the clamor of the gong, the excitement dropped right back into the pit of Lydia's stomach. She listened to the speech, eyes wide. She nodded along solemnly, thinking of the respect that the dead are due.

"Who should we send? Who would be lucky enough to get us a good spot?" Lydia didn't feel particularly lucky, Alaya seemed like the most natural choice, but it was not for her to decide herself.

KAKnyght

I think for a moment and say "While the Pharasmans' might be more amiable to a local that has served in the cities defense before, I may not otherwise be the best choice as I am not a devout of their calling", stops for a moment and ponders "A trait we all share, I believe? Pharasma is one of many my people find of importance, but what we collectively lack in devotion could be recouped in another way." I look over to Alaya "Due to what we face ahead of us, you are likely the best to represent us here, as, I feel they will appreciate your glamour, like I believe we all do. But I imagine they will appreciate your zeal more" I conclude with a warm smile.

jammermoore

[info]rolling sense motive them perception on Sebti
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+5 : 2 + 5, total 7[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+5 : 11 + 5, total 16[/blockquote]
[/info]

As Sebti giving her explanation, Noland is pondering what could be within the necropolis, and how much riches could he carry out to start a new life outside of Bargetown. Noland wonders about speaking up about being the one we send up but double guesses himself as Sehra suggests Alaya would be a better choice. For a minute Noland works up the courage to say. "Wait guys I feel I could good scout for our team. If Alaya wouldn't mind, send me!" Noland gets himself worked up. "Lets go guys."

pringerbeam

[info]Sense motive
You're not sure if its just a well rehearsed speech or maybe it is that as a local you have heard of the high priestess' reputation as a champion of the common people but you feel as if Sebti is a sincere individual.

Perception
You see Sebti is wearing simple priest garments with her facial features easily distinguished even at this distance thanks to the highlighting effects of her cosmetics.  Her eyes highlighted by black kohl and her lips shaded with a vibrant color, she makes a striking appearance.[/info]

SleepingSkeleton

Alaya looks over her companions, looking first to Sehra.  "The church of Pharasma and Sarenrae are on generally good terms, so I wouldn't think it would cause too much of a problem to them.  We certainly share a distaste for the undead.  For all but a very few types there is no hope of redemption.  Most are mindless scourges on the land that should be slain.  Our dislike of the undead pales in comparison the the fervor with which the Church of Pharasma feels towards them however."
On hearing Noland speak, Alaya turns to face the dwarf.  "I certainly don't deny you would be a better scout than I would be.  But as we don't sound to be allowed into the necropolis yet, I'm unsure how that would be of aid. You are a native of the area, is there something to be worried about with the church?"

jammermoore

Noland thinks of Alaya question of the church for a second, "I personal don't follow the church but I've heard Sebti is good to the common people so there is nothing to worry about at this time.

pringerbeam

Different adventuring parties names are called in the background of your conversation until a recognizable name is called out from the increasingly busy stage where the priests and acolytes are tending to the assorted adventurers that have made their way up to the stage after being called.  "The Company of the New Dawn, please send your representative to the stage."  Sharasha turns from her vigil to look at the party.  "Guess you're up."  She says, sticking a thumb over her shoulder.

jammermoore

As Sharasha does the thumb over the shoulder, Noland looks at the rest of the group, and starts towards the stage.  Noland prepares himself as he walk to stage, he has never liked being in front of a lot of people but believes this is the best way for himself. When Noland gets to the stage he waits quietly till its his turn trying not to draw attention to himself.
[info]He is also trying to listen into any conversation that sounds overly important (perception roll)
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+5 : 3 + 5, total 8[/blockquote][/info] 

pringerbeam

Nolan
     You make your way to the platform through the crowd eventually coming to find a short queue at the stairs on the end of the platform.  You hear the raised voice of a rather one-sided argument happening up on the stage but are unable to make out the contents of the the woman's voice.  Your view happens to get obscured by the rather sweaty and corpulent shirtless half-orc that is in line before you.  An irritated looking woman, a taldan judging by her dress, storms past you down the stairs off the stage.  The line of adventurers all turn their heads and watch as she stomps down the stairs.  The half-orc whistles under his breath and mutters: "Fiery bit of tail she must be.  Eh? Ehhhhh?"  He says moving to elbow you and the elf standing in front of him who shares a pained moment with you as the two of you get a very sweaty greasing from the half-orc.  The elf cringes and quickly turns to avoid eye contact and goes up to the priests for their turn at the lottery.  You see the elf speak a few quick words with the priest then stick his hand into a bowel and take out a small roll of papyrus sealed with wax.  He opens it, shows it to the priest before him and then walks on to another table further down the platform.  The half-orc follows suit and before you know it you are at the front of the line.

jammermoore

[info]first perception then sense motive on the taldan woman
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+5 : 5 + 5, total 10[/blockquote][blockquote]Rolled 1d20+5 : 15 + 5, total 20[/blockquote]
then Sense Motive on the half-orc then the elf
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+5 : 11 + 5, total 16[/blockquote][blockquote]Rolled 1d20+5 : 15 + 5, total 20[/blockquote][/info]
Noland follows suit and does the same as the half-orc and elf.

pringerbeam

Nolan
     You draw one of the small rolled papyrus from the bowel.  Opening the wax seal you see The Tomb of Akhentepi written.  The priest looks at the scroll and says to one of the other priests behind him at another table.  "This one is from the Company of the New Dawn."  Turning back you you he points to the priest he was talking to.  "Please proceed to receive the location of your first expedition site.  NEXT!"  He says immediately ceasing to pay any attention to you as he calls forth the next person in line.

[info]Sense Motive: Taldan
She appears to be angry.

Sense Motive: Elf
He appears to want to avoid further contact with the half-orc[/info]

jammermoore

Noland heads to the next priest to get the location. While waiting he thinks The Tomb of Akhentepi has heard that name before during to "work"
[info]Knowledge local check
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+8 : 4 + 8, total 12[/blockquote][/info]