[Open] The Assaulted Caravan

Started by Linwelin, December 11, 2013, 08:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linwelin

It was a drab, overcast day in Ternadan, but the warmth and general mirth within the halls of the Guild of Galas'nor kept the depressing weather at bay. Whether it was drink, food, banter, or friendly competition, everyone was enjoying their day as they saw fit. The feast a few days past had set the entire town into a peaceful mood, accompanied with amazement; it was a once in a lifetime experience to see a turkey that large cooked in the town square.

Yes, everyone was in good spirits despite the weather, until unsettling news reached the hall's doorstep.

The call from the guard echoed from the doorway, ?Hey, Galas'nor! We need some help out here. Got ya a roughed-up merchant with a story to tell!?

From the sound of it, the guard didn't believe the story, and was trying to get a freelancer to look into it. Then again, that was common enough. It's not like the town guard could leave the city without some sort of proof.

They stumbled in the guild hall, and it was obvious that at least SOMETHING happened, whether the tale was true or not. The merchant looked utterly exhausted, there was blood all over his clothes, some of it his, some not, and there was a nice cut along the side of his head, going right above his ear; it wasn't life-threatening, but remained noticeable. His garb, otherwise, was certainly that of a traveling merchant, a standard, middle-class, brown belted tunic, with fine leggings and a red cape. If it weren't for the blood, you would say he was doing well for himself.

After sitting down, and taking a swig of a good, warm drink, the merchant began to explain himself. ?I'm Bran, a member of the Winding Roads Traders that just started up in Taelthan to the East, only a few months ago. We deal in leather goods mostly, but we had just gotten license for trading spices, and even reagents for magical and alchemical practices. Due to Ternadan's reputation, my partners and I decided it'd be best to try our luck supplying the shops here in town, so we headed on our way. This was our first shipment, and honestly we had a good amount of our success riding on it.

The merchant paused a moment, composing himself. ?We had hired mercenaries to guard us, but everyone knew the route between our towns was nothing to be feared. Your very guild took care of that bandit problem a while back. The most we feared were maybe some goblins or small dire creatures, it's the low riverlands after all, in the opposite direction of the swamps. Nothing that couldn't be handled, nor anything that organized themselves exceptionally well. That's why we were surprised.? He stated, suppressing panic, obviously still traumatized from the events. ?Why hobgoblins, let alone a warband of them, would ever be here, I don't know. But they were, and they were waiting.?

The guard broke in, ?Ya got to have that wrong, they'd never come this far north, too wet. They'd rather stay by the desert borders, in the hills, everyone knows that!? The guard exhales, calming himself. ?Even if he was seeing things, something got to 'im. So would you guys mind rounding up a band of your own to check out what happened over there? It's not safe for travelers with things like this.?

?It was hobgoblins! I know what I saw, I'm not daft!? Bran yelled, ?They were the raiding type, too, efficiently trapped us, killed everyone, and ransacked our caravan...only reason I got away is because I can run decently. Anyways, there were so many spice and reagent crates, though some of them were probably destroyed. But I beg of you, recover any that you can! I'll pay well for each crate, a good margin of whatever it's worth. Here's the sigil that'll be on the boxes. If we don't get our stock back, we're ruined...? At that, he proceeds to slump and go silent, devastated by the weight of his own words.

The trade sigil

QuoteThe Assaulted Caravan
DM: Linwelin
Suggested players: 4-6
Suggested Level: 4-5
Max players: 6
Length: Short
Summary: Skirmishes, Boss fight
Goal: Rout the hobgoblin warband
         Recover any found merchant supplies
Rewards:
1000 coins (split between the party)
500 coins/crate (split between the party)
1500 exp (split between the party)
100 exp/crate (split between the party
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Wolfrin Fenris

I would like to join this with my character Kynnstitia. Although she wont be available until the rest of the party begins.
BEEP

akicheeto

Ardeth set down her empty pint and looked over at the merchant. The sole survivor of a caravan ransacked by hobgoblins of all things apparently. It sounded far-fetched but regardless, something attacked him and killed many others. That was enough reason for her to set down a few silver coins by her empty cup and made her way towards the poor man.

Hopefully this doesn't end up being bigger than she's anticipating. She didn't want to get the higher ups in the Silver Arms involved if they didn't need to be.

Katrias Lyseer

"So you're that new group of traders bringing over the latest reagents. And you've lost it." A familiar voice piped up - gloomy as always. "Somehow that doesn't really surprise me." It came from a girl, perhaps around 16 of age, sitting on a lone chair and table in the corner of the hall. She held what looked to be some sort of book in her hands that she promptly placed down.

"I can't keep running my shop without those reagents, and though I absolutely love spending time with my fellow guild mates, my shop really needs some attention." The sarcasm in her voice was heavy.

"But I'm part of this guild now, aren't I?" She closes her book, and tucks it under her arm as she makes her way forward.

"What do we get if we help you?"
Idiots. A whole bunch of idiots.

Linwelin

"O-oh! Miss Lyseer! Bran stammered out his surprise, suddenly extremely nervous at facing one of his customers. "I apologize profusely for the delay, this was an unforeseen circumstance! I-" He noticing her unflinching gaze at the beginning of his excuses. "I...I..." His shoulders slump, then he promptly bows. "Please excuse our negligence...I'll gladly give you a deserved discount percentage for whatever is to be delivered. And of course, this is on top of the reward for settling the problem." He looked back up, addressing the group, "Please, help me recover from my already horrid losses. Good people died during this venture..."

QuoteThe mission is now open! Head to the link below to get the show on the road. But feel free to keep up this RP if you wish.

It's go time!
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Katrias Lyseer

"A discount?" Katrias asked, eyeing the merchant carefully. "We're risking our lives, not that that matters. If some already lost theirs in this venture, whatever that killed them, you need more than some guards to handle."

"How about this? A lifetime discount for your reagent supply, for as long as you deal trade in the city. You're new to the market aren't you? Just a couple months? A lifetime buyer will perhaps give you the edge you need to take on a stronger foothold here. You'll be helping the guild indirectly, and probably will save future lives."

"What do you say?"

Linwelin

Bran almost seemed to whimper under the girl's gaze. I'd heard she was a ruthless customer, but this is too much...!...Such losses...but can I even say no? The inner turmoil was apparent on his face. It was obvious that the stress of the situation had suppressed his skill as a merchant. His desperation was obvious, and as a merchant yourself, you knew to take advantage of it. Simply business, after all.

Finally, the man sighed, "I can't exactly say no...I accept on the condition that you not slander my name for this blunder. It was not something that could be avoided, nor prepared for. Such creatures weren't supposed to be anywhere near here..." He grumbled to himself in despair. "If you agree to that, you've got a deal. So please, save my, no, save OUR supplies!" He pleaded once more.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Katrias Lyseer

"Far from it. The more successful you are here, the more you'll bring in the supplies. We both benefit. I'll come back with the official contract." Katrias said seriously.

She noticed another guild member come up to the group. Katrias had seen her a couple times before, though had never really talked. The woman had long dark hair tied up in a pony-tail with bangs that slightly covered her eyes. She looked friendly enough, but Katrias was never really one to judge a person by their looks alone. What caught her attention the most was the belt-bag she wore, as well as the emblem of the Silver Arms etched into her scabbard. Coupled with the brace that contained the guild's emblem, Katrias realized that this particular guild member was a member of both.

"Coming along too? I don't suppose you've fought against hobgoblins before?"

akicheeto

"I've run into a couple hobgoblins on a few Silver Arms missions, actually." Ardeth replied with a friendly smile. She knew Katrias from around the guild and also visited her shop a couple times for supplies. She was a no-nonsense shopkeeper and Ardeth respected her for that. Most people felt offended by her tone but she didn't mind at the least. If Katrias was there to do business then there was no reason for small chit chat.

"So when do we head out?"