Chapter 03 - The Vaults of Altaerein

Started by pringerbeam, July 07, 2021, 09:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asta

"Seems we have little choice, given the alternative is going back the way we came."

pringerbeam

Alak nodded and pushed open the trap door. a dim light sneaks through the crack and Alak ascends the ladder. Following him up the ladder, you all find yourselves in what looks like a well stocked larder of some kind. Barrels of vegetables, sacks of flower and grains, and kegs of beer are neatly organized around you lit by a dim oil lamp hanging in the middle of the ceiling. The faint smell of vinegar and brine suffuses the air and before you get a chance to take a better look around you hear a door open up a the top of stairs at the other end of the room and the heavy footfalls of someone descending. A half-orc walks down the stairs and heads for one of the barrels before noticing you all. "Hey, what are you doing here? No customers allowed down here."

Throndir

"Customers?" Melody had to ask. It's true that they traveled for what felt like was a mile, but the young priestess wasn't quite sure what to make of the half-orc. "Oh no, no, no, we're not customers... We're more like explorers. We're actually searching for evil to redeem." She wanted to say 'cultists', but Melody wasn't quite sure whether or not the person she was talking to was one of the cultists they were investigating. Besides, searching for evil to redeem wasn't really lying, Melody was looking to redeem any such evil.

"But if I may ask, what kind of... place is this? What are we potential customers of?"

pringerbeam

"Don't remember where you're at eh? Barely past noon and you're already blotted. Bit early for that don't you think? C'mon, out you go." Says the half-orc as she picks up a broom and begins to use it to expertly herd you you of the basement as if she has done something similar a thousand times before. Next thing you know you've all ascended the stairs out of the basement and through the door to find yourselves in the main room of what looks to be a tavern. The various patrons eating lunch look back at you for a moment before returning back to their meals. "Alright, I catch you down there again and it's out the door on your arse." Says the half-orc as she turns to head back down the stairs.

The barkeep, an older human woman with a permanently stern expression, looks up from their work to see your party with the half-orc heading back downstairs. "How..." Her expression changes to one of recognition as she gets a better look at you. "Hey, you're the heroes! What... How did you sneak past me into the basement? Aren't you supposed to be out at the old castle?" Getting a better look at your surroundings, you catch a glimpse of the tavern sign out the front windows and recognize it as one that you passed on your way out of Breachill, the Pickled Ear if you recall correctly. It would appear the tunnel has circled around and returned you back to town.

Asta

"Yes. Well, we were. Say, has anyone else come through here recently? By which I mean, mysteriously arriving in your basement?"

pringerbeam

"Hmmm..." The barkeep puts a thumb to her chin and here eyes narrow as she looks to be thinking. "Maaaybeee... What's in it for ol' Roxy?"

Asta

"What uhh... do you want to be in it for ol' Roxy...?" Spira asked, out of her depth and quickly growing annoyed with having to carry on conversation.

pringerbeam

Roxy looks around the room at the small number of regulars having lunch. "What I need around here are some new customers. All the travelers that pass through town head straight for Cayden's Keg or Wizard's Grace. I bet the town heroes endorsement would do wonders for business. How's about you figure out some kinda way to draw in a good crowd?"

Throndir

"If it's endorsements, we can do that." Melody offered, confident in her ability to try getting people into the tavern. "But once you draw attention, you need something to keep drawing attention for even after we leave. Like a special something unique to the Pickled Ear. For us in our small temple of Sarenrae, the people who keep visiting are those who come to worship Sarenrae, so that's our special thing. " Melody looked towards her other companions.

"Anyone have any ideas on how to help this place?" She asked. "All I know are medicines and what we were taught in the church... I'm pretty confident in gathering people if it comes to it though. Oh! Also, also, also, I'm good at jewelry making and other artsy things, maybe I can make miss Roxy's tavern sign look prettier?"