[Carrie] Chapter 8: Requests

Started by Throndir, December 31, 2020, 06:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erynn

Carrie nods as Aliana mentions an artifact capable of detecting lies.

"I figured there might be need for a lie detector once the situation was stabilized.", Carrie informs the group, "I programmed my dog-tags for just such a purpose shortly after I came to. That should help us figure out who's on the level and who might be an issue."

Carrie pauses before changing to a different, yet loosely related topic, addressing both Kisisha and Synithise.

"Speaking of blessings that can turn the tide of a war,....", Carrie begins, acknowledging Kisisha's statement by way of demonstration as she looks to Synithise, "It turns out your idea concerning magic items and my blessing was correct. Not long after I woke, I used said blessing to transfer the enchantment from one of the caravan leader's daggers to my own knife. If taken to the next logical step, I can see a way to potentially duplicate enchantments. I'll be wanting an opportunity to experiment with the idea a bit later on, among others. I'd appreciate it if a few materials could be gathered to facilitate the process, specifically a few short, stout sticks or dowels, and a few sheets of easily rolled fabric of varying sizes."

Carrie then directs her attention toward Jasna and Eveleen to inquire about the primary subject of the meeting in question.

"Those two points aside, I hear we have new intel out of the city and several requests from our new friends.", Carrie prompts, "For starters, are events in the city good news or bad news for us?"
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Throndir

"Pro-gram..." Aliana repeated the foreign word. "I've seen you do this before with the wagon, but I feel as if just that alone would be enough for this war."

"I agree!" Synithise butted in. "Sticks and fabrics... Of course, we can do that. If it will help you with your ability, Carrie."

"Good news or bad news... It may perhaps be more of what we do with the news." Eveleen said cryptically. "Matriarch Jasna?" Eveleen turned towards the batfolk.

"It's one of the neighboring kingdoms." Jasna said, picking up the cue. "The kingdom of Bursteig specifically. They've been making discrete contact with various tribal heads. Their kingdom has told us they're willing to take on our kingdom's debt, and unite our kingdom's fragmented tribes. It's heavily implied that they'll seat their own ruler for that 'unification'."

"As you can imagine, this did not sit well with the various other chieftains. Many of them don't want to simply exchange human masters. But there are others who are intrigued by the offer, stating that anything would be better than the Felencorp."

"I admit, I do not have many scouts in other kingdoms. Most are stationed through what's left out of our kingdom. But with your approval, I would like to send some of my most skilled individuals to try to figure out the kingdom of Bursteig's intention."

Erynn

"I have to admit, this blessing does seem to be overwhelmingly powerful.", Carrie agrees with Aliana, her expression draining slightly of color as she is reminded of the implications, "But Felencorp has multiple heroes whose abilities are completely unknown to us right now. The last thing we want to do is count our chickens before they hatch."

Carrie then listens intently as Jasna relays what her scouts have learned, thinking carefully about the implications. When her gaze focuses in the present once more, her tone has changed to a somewhat mischievous one.

"I figured they were our best bet for an ally shortly after I arrived.", Carrie recounts for the benefit of the two who hadn't been present, "To think they'd reach out to us with an offer of aid before we could even act.... Well, that tells us a few things. First and foremost, it tells us that something within their country has changed for them to reach out now. It also tells us they have a specific reason for it. Their stated goal is obviously something Felencorp won't like. They can only run roughshod over us while we're not united."

Carrie pauses as she further considers the data she had taken in before continuing.

"They're seeking to discreetly make a move that they have to know Felencorp would oppose if they made it openly. They also have to know that Felencorp is unlikely to sit idly by when it comes to light. Is their stated goal really the truth? Could their leadership really be that naive to think Felencorp won't figure this ploy out?"

Carrie's line of thought stops cold as a sudden realization dawns on her.

"They just might if they're new to the political situation in this world. That would explain their piss-poor tact where the implications of a human annexation of Darmona are concerned. If I'm right, then it's likely there's a hero at the helm of Bursteig. A hero at the helm is a game-changer."

Carrie meets the gaze of each of those present in turn before she continues, "Diplomatic relations with Bursteig would be an ideal outcome, though perhaps not as they've offered. If they do have a hero of their own, working with them could be a real path forward. On the other hand, we've got no information on that point, though to be fair, they don't even know I exist. We still have the advantage of surprise on that front at least should things go south."

Carrie then turns to Jasna, though addressing everyone in the room, "By all means, send your people in to get us some intel. But bear in mind that you don't need my approval to do what you think is best. I've been here less than a week. This is your country. I'm not going to be that person who just shows up and tells you how to run the place. I only have that authority which is granted to me. If I were to behave otherwise, I'd be no different from Felencorp."

Carrie takes a few moments to allow the meaning of what she had said to sink in before she continues.

"That said, we should bear in mind that we have a means of paying Bursteig's leadership a surprise visit now, not to mention a great way to rapidly deploy a team of scouts or other assets."
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Throndir

Thura Forest - Lamia Priestess Tunnels - Meeting Room
Morning

"It's more than that too, there are some chieftains who ask how Bursteig could even take on our debt. Their country had more recently appeared in this world, but from what everyone can assume, the Felencorp have already stuck their grubby hands into that nation. But if you believe a hero is the cause... That very well might be. With a powerful hero, the country might have the power to do all they claim to, and would embolden them to make their claims. However, we've been given no evidence of such..."

Quote"By all means, send your people in to get us some intel. But bear in mind that you don't need my approval to do what you think is best. I've been here less than a week. This is your country. I'm not going to be that person who just shows up and tells you how to run the place. I only have that authority which is granted to me. If I were to behave otherwise, I'd be no different from Felencorp."

Eveleen smiled gently towards you, Synithises' eyes filled with admiration, while both Jasna and Aliana nodded approvingly. At that same moment, a notification appeared in your view before disappearing a few seconds later.

[okay]You have gained a new title『Loved』[/okay]
Jasna, who seemed to be the one who had most of the intel between the matriarches, then continued.

"Then... matriarch Eveleen, and matriarch Synithise. I'll be sending my most elite and trusted scouts to our neighboring Bursteig. I'll request from matriarch Synithise to use the Lamia priestess seal with a letter of peace and perhaps further clarifications."

"And Carrie... Rapidly deploying teams or assets?" Jasna asked curiously. Synithise looked confused, but Aliana nodded knowingly. "Do tell. We've been using our people as night-time scouts, though the journey is taxing and we can't carry a lot with us."

Erynn

"Given how Felencorp is fond of taking other countries' heroes for their own, it's not surprising we haven't seen much. Bursteig would have serious issues if Felencorp found out they had a hero they didn't know about. They'd have to work behind the scenes in order to remain undetected.", Carrie posits for the matriarchs, "Whether or not they do indeed have a hero and what sort of actions they're taking if so are part of what we'll be looking to figure out. There.....may also be an opportunity to try to alleviate some of the pressure on the nightwalker tribes as well if Bursteig is looking for a peaceful relationship. Synithise told me shortly after I was summoned that the adventuring guilds in the surrounding nations issue quests for the extermination of nightwalkers. This presents an opportunity to raise that issue for consideration if they truly want to forge diplomatic bonds. We really ought to think on exactly what we hope to get out of a diplomatic relationship with Bursteig and list those goals in organized fashion. Such a document could form the basis for our negotiating strategy."

While Carrie wasn't terribly well versed in negotiations, she did know how to organize her thoughts and come up with a set of objectives. She figured the same could apply to a diplomatic meeting. Carrie then turns her attention to the more operational level consideration Jasna had raised, amused that Synithise hadn't quite realized the implications yet.

"The wagon we suddenly appeared here in can teleport its passengers, cargo, and draft animals.", Carrie states plainly, watching the expressions of those present with mild amusement, "I used my blessing to turn it into a means of rapidly returning to the tunnels, but now that we're back here we could use its ability to teleport to achieve very rapid and unexpected deployment of people and assets where they best benefit our interests. We could use it to reduce the length of time to deploy scouts dramatically, as an escape route, or to deploy a team of highly skilled combatants to a target location they would otherwise be unable to access. I'm sure you can see how the ability to suddenly appear or disappear people or assets from an area of operations would be useful, not to mention a wagon doesn't exactly stand out as unusual traffic to those who see it."

Carrie takes a moment to face Jasna, pointedly agreeing with her decision to request further clarification. "Good idea, that. If there's anything we could use right now it's information. Even if they're not keen on saying much without a face to face meeting, what they are and aren't willing to tell us can reveal a great deal."

Finally, Carrie addresses the one topic that had yet to be discussed.

"With the diplomatic situation addressed as best we can for now, I think the next item on the agenda is the request or requests our new friends have for us, isn't it?", Carrie asks rhetorically, turning to 'Aliana' to give her the spotlight, prompting with a smile, "Care to fill us in on the details?"