Book 1 Chapter 3.2 - Beneath the Barrow

Started by Asta, November 09, 2020, 05:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

"Cain't hurt to try." Rhenri said as she pulled out her thieves' tools.

[info]Unlock the lock.
[blockquote]Disable Device 1d20+8 : 3 + 8, total 11[/blockquote]

If fail and no repercussions on failing, taking 20 to spend the next few minutes attempting to open it.[/info]

Asta

After a few attempts the lock finally pops open allowing the chest to open. Within you find a bag full of coinage and gems, and several sheets of paper that look like they probably came from the same journal as the others you found.

Quote"... Tonight I followed Ahmra out into the steppe. It seems that he has constructed himself a sanctum of some kind beneath a great mound of earth. The entrance is warded with some kind of sigil..."

"... A NECROMANCER! The man profanes the dead by raising them with magic! I followed him a second time tonight to his lair and saw him reanimating corpses in the moonlight. I must warn the headman of who this monster really is! I only hope he did not see me follow, I am sure I was as quiet as I could be, still I thought I saw him look toward the grasses I was hiding in..."

"Poor man, oi guess he ended up getting caught..." Scathach said, after reading the pages. "Should we check that out?" She points to the sarcophagus.

[info]The party acquires 200 gold in coins and mixed gemstones.[/info]

pringerbeam

"While I think the necromancer's corpse deserves no respect. Perhaps we should check it for sorcery? Who knows what they might have done to protect their body."

Oath

"Let me take a look. Never know what we could find and this is the reason that we are here, is it not?" Cecilia approaches the sarcophagus, scanning it for any traces of magic.

[info] Detect magic stuff again.[/info]

Asta

After considerable concentration Cecilia finds no enchantments or traces of magic on the sarcophagus, or in its immediate area.

Oath

"Looks to be clear of any magics at least. Let's see what's inside. Someone want to help me with the lid?" Cecilia positioned herself to start moving the lid of the sarcophagus

pringerbeam

"Yes, let us see what this necromancer actually looks like after all these years." Says Thedrin, adjusting his gloves and moving to push the lid off the sarcophagus.

Asta

With some effort, the heavy stone lid slides free from the stone charnel with a laborious grinding sound. Once open the contents of the tomb are laid bare...

A single, deteriorating grimoire.

"Am oi mistaken, or shouldn't there be a body in there?" Scathach says with confusion, and a bit of concern.

pringerbeam

"All this just to guard a book..."  Said Thedrin as he took up the book. "Apparently not even magical..." He said as he flipped through the pages.

Asta

The book in question, as Thedrin flipped through it, was mostly ruined. The pages eaten by time, ink faded to illegibility, the cover was mostly unadorned aside from a small marking on the bottom corner that looked like a name.

As the pages tumbled over though, one or two were still in good condition and readable. The markings looked like spellwork, or at least something to that effect.

Oath

"Let me take a look at that, could be the old wizard's spellbook." Cecilia reached out and took the book from Thedrin to leaf through it for herself.

Asta

From what you can gather, the grimoire is indeed a spellbook. Though most of the pages are impossible to decipher due to degradation, you are able to find two spells that are intact enough to be studied.

[info]From this book you can learn:

Stricken Heart, 2nd level, Necromancy

One 1st level spell of your choice from your school[/info]

Oath

"Ah it's a shame that I couldn't have seen this book in its complete form but I should be able to learn a couple of tricks from this. Shall we return to the surface?"

[info]School spell will be summon monster I

Asta

"Not much left down here, s'pose we might as well." Scathach replied. "Though I can't help but feel uneasy about the missing corpse of a necromancer. S'pecially one that was supposed to be so strong."

[info]This is essentially the end of the dungeon. Resuming the main thread, feel free to continue any RP if desired.

The party gains 277 exp for exploring the barrow.[/info]

pringerbeam

"Perhaps their lord caught onto their secret and had the sense to burn them at the stake before they had the chance to even be laid to rest in this tomb." Guessed Thedrin with a little sigh as he poured his share of the gold coin and gems into his coin purse. It was a relief to once again feel a weight to it that he was a little more accustomed to but it was still a paltry sum to what he had hoped for. "If there's nothing left, let us make for the surface. I think that this has been enough scrounging around in the gloom for one day."