Book 1 Chapter 3.1 - The Eastern Gate Scandal

Started by Asta, September 12, 2020, 07:05:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asta

The easily navigable streets of the capital eventually see you to the eastern gate. Largely indistinguishable from the one you entered the city through, a towering arch of corbeled field-stone with raised portcullis and thick oak doors on either side. A line much like the one you spent some time in extends outwards into the outer city along the road, and the travelers coming through mutter loudly about the absurd fee to enter.

The guard presence here isn't any different from the western gate, two at the actual entrance, one at a small table stamping papers for entry, and a fourth standing near the windowless gatehouse a few yards to the left of the opening in the wall.

"Thoughts?" Scathach asks.

pringerbeam

"I say we confront the one in charge, apprehend him, and take them to lord Bhenneit."  Said Thedrin as he looked at the guards, trying to figure out which one was in command.

Asta

"Didn't yer man ask us ter be discreet?" Scathach replied, watching the guards.

pringerbeam

"Well how else will we get a confession of the extortion?" Asked Thedrin.

Asta

"Oi don't tink Bhenneit asked for a confession. Didn't he jist want a list av conspirators an' proof? If we go in makin' threats won't that tip aff the others? They canny be that smart, maybe they keep records av what they collect somewhere." Scathach answered with a shrug.

pringerbeam

"Records? Where would we find something like that? I doubt they have a duke of ledgers here at the gate. Or even an earl of accounts for that matter."  Replied Thedrin.

Asta

"Do...? Do yer think we canny read or do math? Tiamat's grace man, we ain't the damn savages yer seem ter think we are! If they were runnin' a racket, wouldn't they keep track av the bit they skim aff the top so it can be passed oyt among de crooks?" Scathach hissed, the color beginning to rise in her cheeks.

pringerbeam

"Well..." Thedrin paused for a moment before continuing.  "Why would they keep records? They're petty criminals not a trade guild. I'm sure they have some kind of crude loot dividing system like some pirate clan or raiding tribe. Something where the biggest and most brutish of them clubs the smaller ones until the coins fall out of them like sweets from a pinata."

Asta

"Oi canny deny that's possible. Oi don't think marchin' up ter the guy in charge an' demandin' answers is best way ter solve this though. At most we git outed as agents av Bhenneit, at worse they try an' kill us." Scathach replied. "Bhenneit did say it may go further up the chain than the guards though."

pringerbeam

"Ugh, fine..." Conceded Thedrin. "Uh you there, other poacher. Your sort can sneak up on a stag I assume. Maybe you would be the best suited for finding the evidence." He asked with a look to Rhenri.

Throndir

"It's Rhenri," the archer corrected. "I can go a larkin' around, perhaps I'll find somethin' or perhaps not. Hopefully it iden a piddlin' waste of time."

"It ain't a particular good use of time without knowin' what to look fowah. Let little ole' Ri here watch a few merchants and travelers, pay a close attention to any exchange of coin, and see where they keep records over yonder."

[info]Rhenri discusses her plan:

1) Wait for merchants/travelers to pass through that end up paying the gate guards.
2) Identify where a guard might be writing down for records, and where they store it.
3) Talk to the merchants'travelers with how much they've spent to get through, and what the guards asked them for their own records (their name or anything to identify them)
4) Steal the records when an opportunity presents itself.[/info]

"That about sums it up. What do y'all think? Otherwise I'm not opposed to gettin' one of the guards alone for a private questionin'."

pringerbeam

Thedrin's brain swam in the details of Rhenri's plan as she explained it out to him. She was smarter than he had given her credit for and the plan was not to his forte but it certainly seemed solid enough to him. "Ah... uh yes... I understand completely! A good plan."

Asta

"Ok, let's do this then." Scathach nodded.

You didn't have to wait long before you got the opportunity to watch the operation at the gate unfold. A merchant with a large covered wagon was next in line, and though you couldn't hear the exchange it was plain he was dissatisfied with what the gate guard was telling him. After a few minutes of heated back and forth the merchant appeared to acquiesce and plopped down grumpily at a table placed near the gate where another guard took his money wrote down something on a sheet of paper and handed the merchant his entry pass. The money, you notice, was then placed in a small box along with the scrap of paper.

Be it coincidence or luck, from the nearby gatehouse another guard emerged and walked the few yards to the table. From there he exchanged a few words with the processing guard, collected the box which was presumably full and left a new one in its place before returning to the gatehouse.

Meanwhile, the merchant was finally moving his cart through the gate.

Throndir

"I figure you're better at words than I am Thedrin, there's your cue." Rhenri suggested flashing a grin as she eyed the passing merchant.

"I'm fixin' to sneak up closer; see where they're puttin' that box. It's better if we can git in there and take it without searchin' around the place."

[info]Stealth up closer to the gatehouse without drawing attention. Perhaps blending in with other travelers, or lounging nearer the gatehouse. Goal is to be able to see through the door/window and find out where exactly the box is being placed in.

[blockquote]Stealth 1d20+8 : 3 + 8, total 11[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Perception 1d20+7 : 7 + 7, total 14[/blockquote][/info]

pringerbeam

"My cue?  I mean...  Yes, my cue!"  Stammered Thedrin as Rhenri made for the gatehouse.  "Uh... Damnit..."  He stuttered as he strode straight for the guards.  "Hail! Uh... Guards!"  He shouted a bit too loudly.  "Yes guards!  I uh...  Have something I need to talk to you about!"  He yelled as he waved his arms over his head.  "I uh have urgent need of your attention!  My uh... coinpurse... it's been stolen!"

[info]Assuming Bluff check[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+4 : 19 + 4, total 23[/blockquote][/info]