[Amelia] Chapter 18: The Beast King

Started by Throndir, July 19, 2020, 11:50:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

Mendernich - Cathedral
Day 17 - Early Evening

Together with father Barnabas, all three of you began to chant the words that was agreed on.

"Oh Dionysus, companion of the goddess: Fortify soul, strengthen body, 《Good Drink》!"

Even though you chanted along with the other two, you yourself haven't learned how to make use of the mana in you, but you did your best from your brief training with Conrad.

"Hmm... It's glowing with mana... But faint." Nyx stated as he looked at the drink. There was an unspoken truth to those words. After all, it was common knowledge that something devoid of mana, only to be full of it again, apart from Nyx's own 《Energy Transfer》, occurred primarily through magic and spells in this world.

"The mana looks more complex than simply using my 《Energy Transfer》 to fill it with mana."

There was an audible silence.

"So, it worked?" Ragnar finally asked.

Mysticsage

Mendernich - Cathedral
Day 17 - Early Evening

"From my experience, channeling mana is annoyingly difficult,"
Amelia said grossly as she thought back to her training with Conrad, "Working with a new relationship of your deity system just makes that even more difficult."

Amelia took an empty cup from the side of the research table as she spoke, " However, Nyx said there is magic in there so it's magic now. As to if it worked as we wanted it to-

We only have one choice."

With one swift motion, she dipped the cup into the liquid and held it up to the two boys in a cheers motion before taking a sip.

Throndir

The drink tasted strong, as what would be expected with the kind of alcohol father Ragnar Barnabas kept with him. Though you yourself weren't a heavy drinker, it was palatable and went down smoothly. You thought you tasted a hint of ginger ale, but all of a sudden that flavor reverted back to the strong alcoholic taste.

Seeing your actions, Ragnar himself took another cup and poured a small bit into it, and sipped it as well.

"It tastes pretty darn good- Wait... Hmm well it does defintely taste a bit better... But I honestly can't tell if actually is better, or simply due to expectation of it being better. You catch my drift, yeah?"

"Interesting... the weave of mana continually reverted from complex to simple... Now, however, it looks completely devoid of any mana or of magic."

Mysticsage

Mendernich - Cathedral
Day 17 - Early Evening

"The magic didn't stick - at least not fully," Amelia said with a heavy sigh.  She placed down the cup down on the work table hard as she ran her free hand through her hair in frustration. They had learned a fair amount tonight, but whenever they tried to do anything they just continued to hit failure after failure. To call it disheartening was an understatement. Her own frustrations left an even more bitter after-taste in her mouth than the drink did.

"We got close though, even if it is like a broken sauce maybe we just need to change the way we mix it. After all, it is pretty late and we're trying something new. I was really hoping we could make something that we could use to help people and something you would like Barnabas. If only I could actually learn to manipulate my own mana maybe I could have helped. Do you think this is something you could keep working on in your free time? If we can get this to work I really think it could be a huge boon both in the product and academically speaking,"
She leaned over the work table jotting down the last of her notes and thoughts before the strain from working in this dim light made itself known.

"That being said, I can't do much more if I let myself get exhausted we should go back to the castle before someone gets worried."

Taking this last failure as a sign that she should pack up and leave she took a folded note from her notebook and slid it under the cup she had used where she thought the priest would find it before packing up and getting ready to leave.

Mendernich - Amelia's Chamber
Day 17 - Evening

Getting back to her room in the castle from the church at that hour always seemed to take longer than it did during the day. By the time she turned on the small oil lamp on her side table for a little light the exhaustion from the day had truly begun to settle into her bones. Taking the time to change into her pajamas with the help of the folding screen that Mati had provided for her she wrapped herself in the feeling of home.

It would have been even better if she could have somehow maintained the familiar smell that her parents often used. They had happened to find the same brand during their trip to Germany and having that comforting sent seemed to have brightened everyone's experience. However, between the amount of time spent in this other world and the amount of her own blood that had been forcibly scrubbed out from her arrival any hope of that sent surviving with her was long gone.

She heard Nyx jump up on the bed with a louder thump then usual and as she came out from finishing changing she saw that he had grown back to his new size. Taking the opportunity to join him, she literally threw herself on the bed and wrapped around her new companion.

"You are teddy bear sized this way." Amelia said with a smile as she could feel her eye lids already start to droop.

"I know you are gonna go out hunting later do you mind staying with me a bit first. I just don't want to be alone right now. There just never feels like enough time in the day," She said already half asleep.

"If only I could keep doing work in my dreams then I could see home again while I was at it."
She said opening friend's list half hoping to see one of her family or friends names before drifting off.

[info]As a result of Amelia's desires to have more time and be able to sleep Amelia will unconsciously activate Friend's list using SP to enter and share Nyx's dream dimension similar to the the Dream Travel spell.

I will be setting the time scale of the dream to give me as much time in the dream per minute in the real world as you will allow due to Amelia's failures and both desires to grow but feeling like they need more time.[/info]

Mysticsage

[info]Requested d100

[blockquote]Rolled 1d100 : 59, total 59[/blockquote]
[/info]

Throndir

Mendernich - Amelia's Chamber
Day 17 - Evening

You began to drift asleep, with Nyx nuzzled against you. You were thinking of Nyx, and of your friends you've met since. You vaguely recall seeing the friend's list in your mind's eye. You wished for more time, you thought about all the events that had transpired that day. Though soon enough, eventually the unconsciousness of sleep overtook you.

[info]Continue to Chapter 19: Dreams of the Past[/info]