[Vanguard] Book 1 - Chapter 5.1: The Dead of Night

Started by Throndir, April 16, 2020, 02:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

Tyresia
Day 4 - Middle Night

No town bells rung signaling the end of the day, and even as time went further still, all that could be heard were the occasional stampedes of the creatures outside, chasing something, or someone, or perhaps nothing at all. Surprisingly, the mayor was able to fall asleep, perhaps having had practice. Each of the members of the group had either stayed up or slept too, but either way, there were no more encounters with the creatures that night.

No one decided to explore the rest of the town hall building either, and kept mostly to the room in the cellar. Soon enough however, the mayor woke. He whispered quietly as he turned on the lamp in the room.

"They should be dispersed... enough." The mayor stated.

pringerbeam

Yuki, who had simply wiled away the hours lightly resting in the corner, looked up from cleaning her nails with one of her daggers. "About time. Let's go." She stood up, patting the dust from her kimono."After you, of course. Can't let us get mauled so you can be rid of us that way." She said to the mayor as she unsheathed her katana.

Throndir

Tyresia
Day 4 - Middle Night

"You were just paid to do this work for me! No way am I going out there. And if you're refusing, then I expect the money back. Now." The mayor said glaring even as he eyed the katana.

pringerbeam

"You misunderstand my friend. Just giving you a head start on fleeing this town. And, of course, if it's really safe to go out now surely you would have no problem running away now that you have the chance... Right?"

Mysticsage

"We need to get the map from his house first, Yuki or else we are going to struggle knowing where to go before we can leave," Taiga said off-hand largely ignoring the protests of the mayor.

"There should be stairs or access to the house somewhere down here,"
he said looking around.

Throndir

Tyresia
Day 4 - Middle Night

You noticed the mayor briefly glance at the chest full of coins, but he kept his eyes towards the group.

"I-I see..." He stammered. "No, I'm staying here. It's still suicide out there. Some people tried to run through the town before. I still have a fdew days left of food anyways."

"The map is up in my meeting room, first floor, it's the room immediately to the left of the waiting hall."

The cellar themselves covered most the space of the building, and true enough, there was a set of stairs that lead up to the first floor of the town hall building.

Mysticsage

Taiga moved slowly to the stairs and then looked at the others, "I'm gonna get that map, everyone get ready and start planning our first move. If I see anything else that we made need while I'm up there."

With that, he will take a moment to slip off his shoes and focused on walking on the balls of his feet using his tail to help him balance like when he snuck around the tavern early in the morning. He will slowly make his way to the first-floor keeping his eyes out for trouble glad that his genetics allowed him to see in the dark for once.

Throndir

[info]If anyone helps him, post up your actions before I resolve.

For now Taiga to roll Stealth and Perception[/info]

Mysticsage

[info]Stealth
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+8 : 4 + 8, total 12[/blockquote]
Perception
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+9 : 19 + 9, total 28[/blockquote][/info]

Throndir

Tyresia
Day 4 - Middle Night

[info]Stealth: 12
You make your way up towards the first floor of the building. You weren't as quiet as you thought you were, but given the fact that the stairs were creaking, you did rather well. Nothing seemed to be alerted at least.

Perception: 28
It was in the middle of the night, but there was some low-light from outside, coming from the moon and stars, that said being in-doors it was still rather dark with the windows being boarded up. It was hard to see what was in front of you, though at least you could feel your way around through your senses of touch. The dim-light that was coming from the windows was just enough for a brief outline of the building.

The stairs you took had a second floor to it, though you only went up a single floor towards the meeting room that was mentioned. The second floor probably contained the mayor's living quarters.[/info]

You made your way to the meeting room that the mayor described. As you expected, there was a desk for the mayor and a place for guests to sit at. There were a couple of things that popped up. One, a map of Rakia displayed on one of the walls: a bookshelf full of scrolls and books, a locked chest in the corner, Inks, quill pens, and other such writing materials, a cabinet against the wall, lastly the desk itself with a variety of shelves attached to it as well.

[info]Any other player can be up here as well, just roll Stealth and Perception. Other characters can choose to explore the second floor too if you wanted.[/info]

Mysticsage

Taiga entering the room flicks his tail excitedly as he sees the things on the various shelves. Knowing a man like that he had no clue what kind of treasure he might have hidden away here. Taiga takes a moment to look over everything. The inks alone would be worth a months labor back home and due to the size, he would not have to worry about carrying them. He just wished he had someone who had a better understanding of the books that may be here.

Silently moving around the room he did his best to search for anything valuable along with the map of the town. He even took a moment to scan the titles of the books for anything of interest on the shelves to see if perhaps there was something really special. He also did a quick search of the desk for locked drawers or any kind of secret compartments. A man this slimy was bound to have something secreted away. Since they wanted to give the ill enough time to move he figured it was smart to work thoroughly on this.

[info]
Taiga takes his time to silently search the room for anything of value keeping careful eye out for anything of interest or hidden away while he looks for the map of the town.

(he does have his backpack with him so he can store most of this away without issue.

Things taken:
The map
All Ink

Things searched for goods and secrets in order
the bookshelves
the cabinet
the desk
the chest
Floorboards (hidden spaces for keys and the like)
[/info]

Throndir

Tyresia
Day 4 - Middle Night

[info]Update your inventory with the following:
Map of Rakia
Ink Bottles (10)

Locked:
Chest
Drawer in desk

Other items found: (Update inventory if you're taking them, leafing through everything will take some time.)
Wax
Seal of the town/mayor
Visitor Logs
Various Paperwork and accounting records including (some in folders, some in books, some in stacks of papers):
-Tax forms for various businesses and individuals
-Building acquisition forms
-Land acquisition forms
-Dispute resolution forms
-Money payment forms
-Work order forms
-Business ledgers
-Bills, invoices, and receipts
-Various deeds
Blueprints of various town projects and buildings
Map of the town
Map of the surrounding lands
Holy Book of Ares
Dagger hidden under the desk

Taiga to roll another Stealth check
[/info]

Mysticsage

[info]Items taken
Seal of the town/mayor
Visitor Logs
Business ledgers
-Various deeds
Blueprints of various town projects and buildings
Map of the town
Map of the surrounding lands
Holy Book of Ares
Dagger hidden under the desk

other actions
Taiga will also try to force the drawer in the desk (if he thinks he can do it quietly) and will simply carry the chest to the basement if he thinks he can carry it.[/info]

[info]stealth
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+8 : 20 + 8, total 28[/blockquote][/info]

Mysticsage

Taiga kept his breathing light as the behemoth were-tiger moved barefooted through the office with surprising grace. Despite his weight, he almost danced through the space as he collected the various things that caught his eye. When he was alone like this he felt somehow more like himself, like he was more in touch with his own body and comfortable in his own skin. Sticking to the shadows and out of sight of lurking danger. He sometimes wondered just how bestial his ancestry was. The tiger inside him had a way of waring with the man and it was only moments like these when he could feel adrenline in his blood and the slightist shift of the air that he felt both halves working in harmony.

Throndir

[info]Taiga to roll Strength check to break Desk Drawer. If you fail, we'll assume you take 20, and spend time doing it instead.

Update your inventory with the items you picked up if you haven't done so already.[/info]

Tyresia
Day 4 - Middle Night

Taiga had eventually come back, carrying with him a chest in his arms.