Chapter 01 - The Call for Heroes

Started by pringerbeam, April 15, 2020, 08:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asta

"Oh I couldn't less care if you wanted to keep talking until the heat death of the universe, I just need some shade" Spira replied, waving her hand dismissively before clasping Riven's meaty hand with her own much less meaty one. "Spira Tellus, alchemist, seeker of truth... so on and so forth..."

Mysticsage

"I'm sorry what's an al-chem-cist?" Riven asked slightly confused. "Are you some kind of scholar or something? I haven't had much interaction with those types unless they are trying to feel me up for some reason or another," he said with a grin.

"Though you must be at least a little different then those types since I don't see a body guard anywhere trying to put a knife to my throat," Riven confidently looks around just to check that there was no proud looking guard with a puffed out chest like a bird ready to coming to this lady's defense. Finding none readily offering the sharp tip of a blade he tunred back to the woman.

"This truth seeking it make you a lot of money?" he asked looking the lady up and down appraising what she was wearing.

Asta

"Al-chem-ist. A scholar of sorts, yes, I guess you could say that. Though my field of study is far more practical I should think. I research the natural world and find... useful applications for the knowledge." Spira, still squatting, tinkered with a small flask hanging at her waist then held it up so Riven and the halflings could see. "Mostly explosives."

She stowed the container away again. "Thus, I do not need to employ guards. Though I must admit I lack the coin to pay for one anyway, which brings us to your final question." Spira propped her head up on her palm, elbow resting on her knee. "No, as of late it does not. I am currently persona non grata at my former guild. The guild-master and I had a falling out over an academic difference... So to speak." Spira sighed, "Hence the need for adventuring."

Mysticsage

"Well then miss Spira, either you were such a pain and the ass that your boss doesn't think your work is worth anything even if you sold it to a competitor, or you are so valuable that he hopes you getting a breath of the real world that will make you worth your weight in gold. Because the world I come from if someone you invested money into isn't performing beyond expectations they recoup their costs in other ways. Often selling your organs off to mages or the like for kicks. Either way, I do have to say I'm impressed that your so relaxed," Riven said with a big tusky grin.

"I came to this town looking for work too, of we end up working together I look forward to seing myself just how useful you are!" He laughed.

"What about you two?" he continued as he look down at the priestess and her companion. "Is there a lot of money in being a companion of a priest, or do converts not pay tithe?"
He asked completely misconstruing about the fact that Melody told him that they were not together, and assuming that her protests were a matter of public face. Back home having a number of such companions were not uncommon for those of higher class like a priest. Though she must have more private tastes if she wanted him to wear so many clothes.

"Or are you two out here in a town like this for some added excitement? Because I doubt the people in a town like this will put much stock in new religions. They are two busy looking down at the ground to care about what is happening above them in the sky."

Asta

"Yes well 'Master' Gilfoyle wouldn't know an alembic from his asshole, so take that for what it's worth." Spira replied, eyes still closed. "What else is there to be but relaxed? Getting worked up over something you can't change seems a waste of energy otherwise invested somewhere productive..."

After saying her piece, she opened a lazy eye toward the halflings. If she was going to have to wait, she might as well see what these people were about. Who knows, maybe she would have to work with them...

Throndir

"I'm not looking for work! Nope, nope. nope. As I said, I'm looking for a worthwhile story to write." Melody replied chirpily. "This Call for Heroes the town is planning to set up is just perfect though. I can tell that Miss Dawnflower guided me just for this. I know it!"

"Not a lot of people follow Sarenrae." The priestess admitted. "So...! We don't actually get donations either. My church in the city is small, but we get by! And I'm sure if I work really, really, really hard, more people will understand just how amazing Sarenrae is."

It was then that Melody noticed the alchemist, Spira, open a lazy eye towards her and Belsarus. At this, Melody smiled wide.

"Miss Spira?" Melody asked, remembering and overhearing her conversation with Riven just earlier. She saw an opportunity there, part of the attention was on her after all. She didn't realize it was naive or perhaps rude to ask, but she never did really learn all the social niceties in her sheltered upbringing.

"Miss Spira, would you like to have redemption?"

Asta

"I'll pass." Spira replied, without a moment of hesitation. "A kind offer, I'm sure, but I for one have had little need for religion. I've always found the mysticism of faith tends to slow the search for truths."

Both Spira's eyes were open now, and fixed on the little energetic little priest. "The gods are real, this I know, it's as much a fact as the sky above us is blue or that grass is green. However... There is more to this creation than what can be seen with the eye alone. Sure, you could explain why a rock is hard by simply saying 'the gods made it that way' but by what method did they make the rock hard? What divine order solidified the stone? This is the essence of alchemy and my pursuit! When I combine the correct materials in proper ratios and use just the right amount of heat, I can make a liquid fire that burns hotter than anything you've seen but there is a reason why."

She ran a hand through the loose hair that had escaped her bun and blew out a frustrated sigh. "I just haven't figured it out yet."

Throndir

Melody visibly deflated at the rejection, but she didn't seem to mope for very long though. Instead her eyes burned with a fiercer glow of determination. It lasted only briefly, however, as she shook her head and focused on the alchemist.

"You sound awfully smart miss." The halfling finally commented keeping her eyes on Spira especially when the alchemist began to talk about alchemy. "You get as excited talking about your work as I do talking about Miss Dawnflower."

"But I'm sure if you keep trying hard at it, you'll figure it out!" Melody bobbed her head in agreement at her own words. "Every morning the sun rises up; it's a gift that is continually given each and every day. And each day the sun shines upon the farmland crops, little by little they're given growth. Many, many, many more days after that, with love, care, and tending hands, you then will have the crops of your labor."

"It's just like with your work!" The priestess explained. "If you keep trying, I'm sure you'll eventually figure it out, even if it takes many, many, many days! Give it your attention, and soon enough you'll pull in your harvest, too!"

Melody smiled brightly. She didn't quite want to bring up Sarenrae again after being rejected, which was why she focused on telling one of the many teachings she was taught. Instead, however, she let a thought ran through her head.

"And if I keep trying, even you will understand beloved Sarenrae's compassion!" Melody chirped happily (her inner voice always sounded happy). She had thought she spoke the words in her mind alone, but didn't really realize she said her thoughts out loud for all to hear.

Asta

Spira raised an eyebrow, "Well, nobody can fault you for your determination."

Oath

Belsarus looked up at the large orc. "Riven was it? I believe ya have the wrong idea. I just met this Priestess myself, i'm a free man who goes where the wind takes me. The wind just so happened to bring me here for this event. I can understand your confusion, but I can assure ya we have no affiliation or relation."

pringerbeam

Your conversation finds itself interrupted by one of the doors to the town hall opening and a town guard stepping out onto the steps. "Alright everyone, doors're open! C'mon in 'fer the monthly call." Announced the guard as he pushed open the other door. The gathered townsfolk shuffled along in a murmuring crowd and began filing into the hall. One inside they all started to find a place to sit, filing maybe a third of the benches that were lined up.

Before the crowd was a raised platform, lined up upon which were five hardwood desks with high backed chairs to match. Seated at each of these desks was one of the five members of the town council: three humans, a dwarf, and a gnome.

[info] If you wish, you can attempt a Society skill check to see what you might know about the town council.[/info]

Asta

Spira shuffled in with the rest of the people gathered, she hadn't been in town long and was trying to remember if she had heard anything interesting about the council.

[info]Society:
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+7 : 13 + 7, total 20[/blockquote][/info]

Mysticsage

Riven goes to answer Bel and then the town guard's cry made him shift his attention. "It seems like I've finally gotten the call to make my appearance," he says with a smirk. He let the misunderstanding continue in the air as he changed the subject.

"I'm happy to be a bulwark if you would like friends, might as well take advantage to not get swept up in the crowd," as he walked towards the town hall he did his best to keep an eye on the two halflings and the alchemist to make sure that they did not struggle in the crowd. If the shorter halflings appear to be struggling he will offer them a shoulder to sit on once they get into the town hall.

As he saw the town council he went through his memory to think about what if anything he had gathered in terms of rumors about this job and the ones who were offering work. He knew if he wanted good word of mouth he would need to make a good showing. Though not many people talked to the massive half-orc.

[info]Society
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+1 : 19 + 1, total 20[/blockquote][/info]

Throndir

With the offer provided, Melody stuck close behind the large half-orc. The priestess couldn't help but smile to herself. She hadn't met a lot of orcs or half-orcs in her sheltered life in the church, but she knew orcs were generally frowned upon. If indeed Mister Riven was a half-orc, perhaps his human side would be what helps redeem him. The halfling made a mental note to herself about that fact as she moved in with the crowd. Sarenrae was one of the best gods to follow, and Melody didn't quite understand the fact that not more followed the deity in her region.

She waited patiently for the proceedings to start, throwing a glance both at Mister Fleetfoot and Miss Tellus occasionally being the only two others she was at least vaguely familiar with in the entire crowd.

pringerbeam

[info]Society 20: The town of Breachill is governed by a council of 5 elected officials chosen by having the top five vote counts in a town wide election every two years. The council member with the largest vote tally heads the council and this position is currently held by Greta Gardania. The town council handles all municipal decision making and takes community advice through regular open council meetings. They are also responsible for overseeing and directing the town guard though this is often left to the guard captain. The current council members, seated from left to right on the stage,  are as follows:

Jorsk Hinterclaw (dwarf male): a dwarf ex-adventurer that eventually retired from the life to settle in Breachill and take up civics.

Melma An Sendari (human female): scion of a Chelish family that had to flee Cheliax with the rise of the house of Thrune. Well versed in diplomacy, she is often the most heard voice in matters that reach beyond the town's walls.

Greta Gardania (human female): descended from one of Breachill's founding families and the current head of the council, Greta has been working in town's governing since a young age and is well liked by most everyone in town.

Trini Sprizzlegig (gnome female) : flighty as with many gnomes and descend from parents that immigrated from Cheliax. Known for being exceptionally welcoming of the more peculiar adventurers that make their way into town.

Quentino Posandi (human male): head of the Posandi family, one of the largest and most influential clans in the town of Breachill and premier masons for the town. Known for being the most pragmatic voice of the council.

[/info]