[Amelia] Chapter 17: Stake-Out

Started by Throndir, February 26, 2020, 04:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

As you viewed the area, there were a lot of people with all sorts of different-colored hairs. Blue, green, purple, pink. You've come to know that these hair colors were actually fairly common in this new world, however, you didn't really run into anyone who fit the description you were given. When you focused on spirit, you did notice something new. Akari, who had since went back into the market square to sell her crepes, glowed with a slight amount of spirit within her. It wasn't as much as Nyx, nor Thyra, but you did manage to catch sight of a bit of it.

[info]Let me know how many hours you plan to do this. Roll a Perception too.[/info]

Mysticsage

[info]amelia will spend about 3 hours since it's so early trying to canvas for who she needs. Also she will update Akari so that she can also keep an eye out.[/info]

[info]perception
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+10 : 8 + 10, total 18[/blockquote][/info]

Mysticsage

Once she was done with Alberich and was overlooking the crowd she sighed, she would need some help if she wanted to find these two ghosts. She opened up her friend's list and hoped that the others were just about awake.

Speaking Ebner's name she said, "Good morning Ebner, I hope I didn't wake you, but I have a description of the two chocolate salesmen that I need help finding. If need be I would be willing to make a guild request for chocolate if you think it may draw them out."

[info]Amelia gives Ebner the girl's physical description and authorizes a 100 gold payment if he thinks those two girls would notice a guild request.[/info]

Once done with that, she then contacts Nyx, "Hey Big Guy, you awake yet? I need your help hunting for some figrative ghosts down here in the main market square. I need your help now that you are in town to see if you can sniff them out. They should be the only ones who smell strongly of chocolate in the area."

Throndir

Market Square
Day 17 - Early Morning

[info]Calendar updated with new quest.[/info]

Good morning, Your Majesty. Yes... I can put in a request to the guild in a bit. Ebner replied, a bit formally if not rushed. You caught me at just the right time, it looks like Adhelm von Schröder has come by with... clothes. I assume ones of- There was a pause.

He wants to speak with you.

One moment... Nyx replied. At that moment a list of notifications appeared.

[okay]You leveled up.
You have gained a new title 『Beast Master』
You have gained +8 WIS
You are now level 25. Spend your unallocated points.[/okay]

Need me back already?  Nyx teased. I'll let the rest of the Umbral Hunters know then. I can probably be back at the city by noon.

Mysticsage

"I'll be there as soon as I can," she said curiously.

"Is everything alright? He should have my measurements already."

"And if I did miss you that much? Would you leave a girl who loves you so much to be lonely?" She asked with an audible chuckle.

"Noon should work just fine. I need you to try and sniff out these chocolate merchants. I only managed to get a shaky physical description at best. They seem almost like ghosts appearing and disappearing without leaving a means to trace them. However, anyone who deals in that much chocolate and applies it to make things will have the smell linger in their skin. Any clues you could find about their whereabouts."

"Of course from this notification you just got if you are too busy I could always try to find some reliable dog and work with them instead,"
She teased. While she went through the details about the chocolate sellers she had found with Nyx she began to move back down the road towards the castle section.

While moving back she opened her status screen with a word to focus on these new updates and what if any changes had occurred due to Nyx's hard work.

Throndir

Market Square
Day 17 - Early Morning

Strangely, Nyx didn't respond immediately. But you focused on the new changes anyways.

[info]Focus on 『Beast King Master』
You own the king of beasts.[/info]
It would be a long moment of silence until Nyx finally replied back.

"Amelia?" The cat said. "Something changed."

Mysticsage

Market Square
Day 17 Early Morning

"Changed, what's the matter, Nyx? Has something happened?" she said concerned about the long pause before he responded. Something about this message put her on edge.

Throndir

Market Square
Day 17 - Early Morning

You felt mischievous mirth through the link as Nyx responded.

"Yes... The rest of the Umbral Hunters are looking at me strangely too." He paused for a brief moment before finally stating what he meant.

"I'm... big."

Mysticsage

Menderitch Streets
Day 17 - Early Morning

Amelia stops in her tracks as she can see the palace in the distance now not realizing that the anticipation of his response had caused her to break into a nervous jog.  She squints suspiciously as she stares off into the middle distance as if her glare could somehow also travel across the link, not realizing or caring how strange she may look to anyone going about their morning routines.

"How big are we talking-" she asked chewing on each word as she spoke them. She could only assume that this world's magic was involved based off of the notification, and she was still not sure what her stance was on the whole thing. "Are you- Did it Hurt? Was is a gradual thing or are you now the size of a house?" She asked trying to wrap her mind around what Nyx had just drooped on her lap like some kind of dead mouse.

"You know what? Just come home for now," She said literally waving her hands through the air to disperse the fog of her own thoughts.

"I need you here anyway to hunt for the people, I got a new notification which probably linked to this somehow. Who knows what kind of strange thing is happening to us now, we can figure out the logistics once your here. Just- just look in some water or something, and tell me what you currently look like so I can notify the gate so they don't think you are some kind of monster and try and shoot at your or something.
" she finished with a sigh as she redoubled her pace back to the palace.

Economics office
Day 17 - Early Morning

On her way returning from the Market, Amelia made sure to flag down a messenger to update the guards at the gate about this new development with the Umbral Hunters. Once she was certain the messenger grasped enough of the situation to make a proper report so that Nyx would not get shot upon arrival she headed off at full steam towards the economic office.

Still in her guard's man attire she knocks on the door and takes a solidifying deep breath before walking in, "Liudger, Adelhelm, its early and today already has been both strange," she exhaled heavily, "and mystifying, in that weird I don't remember if i put underwear on this morning kind of way. As a result, I don't think anything you could say or show me would faze me at the moment. So, do your worst and let me have it."

"What can I help you with today? And don't feel like you have to hold back." she said looking around the room for whatever seemed so urgent as she looked over both men hands on her hips ready to get a handle on aything she could actually understand or make progress on.

Throndir

Mendernich Streets
Day 17 - Early Morning

There was still some mirth when Nyx responded. It was sudden, right after I killed the monster we were fighting. I suppose I look like a bigger version of myself? As large as a human, I'm maybe 5 or 6 ft in length total. And... There was a pause. I'm rather ripped.

Anwyays, I'll see you in a bit then.

Guard house
Day 17 - Morning

"The Umbral Hunters? They're th' ones with that weird black creature they have tagging along them right? Adventurers these days take home strange things... We'll keep an eye out." One of the guards at the gate responded.

Economics office
Day 17 - Morning

Displayed on three clothing forms were three dresses. Not just any dress, they were definitely the avant-garde type of dresses. It was completely out of place from any of the other outfits and dresses you've seen in Mendernich. It reminded you of a dress from fashion shows in your world. Dresses that people didn't actually wear, but were used as more of a fashion statement.

"Your Majesty, Adhelm von Schröder to present rather interesting dresses..."

"Yes! Ohhh yes!" Adhelm said aloud, his face plastereed in a grin. "I took inspiration from your many many memories, and this specific one. This style. This granduer! Marvelous!"

"They're fit to form on madam Sinya, and I have more marvelous ideas already cooking in my head!"

[info]The dresses:

[/info]

Mysticsage

Economics office
Day 17 - Morning

Amelia paused as she took in the atmosphere in the room and studied the workmanship of the dresses. She had to say that even though they were not particularly her style she was really impressed that he managed to put these together in only a few weeks with only blurry memories to work off of. She made an additional circle around the dresses to check how Adhelm had managed with the demihuman requirements doing her best to avoid stepping or touching anything that might get her in trouble.

"Adelhelm, I must say, you have gone above and beyond what I imagined you could accomplish using my hazy memories and half baked descriptions. These are on par with the pieces produced by the large fashion houses back home when they want to show off their creativity and talent to the world. Not only have you produced work on that level, but you have done so with none of the resources they have or any of the skilled help."

Turning to face both men as she spoke, "Thank you from the bottom of my heart, both of you, for working above and beyond to turn my dreams into reality. This kind of thing would never be possible with anyone one else but you two."

Before either man had a chance to react she hugged them both and give each a kiss on the cheek not realizing that light tears of joy had begun streaming lightly down her face. Wiping a tear from her face she couldn't help but let out a soft  chuckle.

"Look at me crying over clothes like this, we have so much more work to do I cannot be falling apart like this."

Taking a moment to collect herself for the second time this morning already she turned to face the dresses again to get back to business.

"Now then, clothes like this will certainly be popular in the noble circles for parties and special occasions but they do lack a certain practicality. We have no dry cleaners to help get dust and dirt out of these feathers for instance. Every fashion house needs to have a grasp on both sides of the market. And now that I've seen what you can accomplish with these my expectations for more everyday fashion Is even higher than it was before."

"I look forward to the day that I have an outfit for every occasion, and the day that everyone can wear your clothes for their daily needs."

She bowed her head deeply as she turned to face both men again, "I will do everything I can to support the both of you in the future and I hope you would do the same for me. I consider you both friends as well as co-works and I need all the friends I can get right now."

"Now, we just have to figure out a strategy to figure out how to get your designs out in front of the nobles and how to get them to buy it. The fashion show during the festival will help, but we need to figure out a campaign that will really get the coin out of their pockets and wanting to spend so that we have a reason to make capital as a country,  and some foreign investment. Though with the war that becomes even more difficult,"
she said also remembering the promise Adhelm made with her when they first met, but choosing to not bring it up in that moment.

Throndir

Mendernich - Economics office
Day 17 - Morning

Both men smiled warmly. Adhelm himself was just as close to tears as you were on your compliments.

"Magnificent!" Adhelm said, tears beginning to flow from his eyes as well. "To have such a queen as yourself, I, Adhelm von Schröder is truly blessed."

"Perhaps then I would recommend a public appearance of the hero herself, dressed in something such as this... Even having the prince and princess wear similar clothes would lead the other nobility to covet it for themselves. Adhelm von Schröder it is to my knowledge that you deal with clothes primarily for the nobility. Add an extra zero to the cost of what you were planning to sell these for, and market it as 'Clothing from Another World'. State the hero's involvement with the design, and I'll spread word that those who purchase such clothing would only garner favor with our hero... Iris."

Liudger looked towards you.

"Just say the word, and we can begin that process."

"Alas... I must ask as well, I was told these were gifts for the lady Sinya, before she departs for her homeland. I was planning to make just a single one, but ended up with three! If money is a concern, I can charge her for the other two, but can let her pick one of the three free of charge as a gift from Your Majesty." Adhelm asked as well.

Mysticsage

Day 17 - Morning

"No, no don't charge Sinya, she can have any or all of the three she likes,"
she said shaking her head, "That just sounds like I wanted to give this gift to make money. I don't want to sour the present."

"As for the public appearance, I was already hoping to wear the dress design that I gave you the other day, at the coronation ball. I figure that is the best place for a dress like that,"
she said blushing slightly at the idea.

"I would be happy to see some of the men in proper suits though. I imagine Kurt, Conrad, Ragnar, the King, Fulbert and you Liudger would look very dashing in a proper suit,"
She said not realizing that she had listed everyone in the council. "As for Mati, I think she would like something very girly but not too big and heavy she needs to be able to move."

"Going back to the money, the castle is helping with these designs, but I cannot ask you to give up money from your business. Not when I already asked for payment through other means. Adhelm, you said that you would help me deal with the nobles who I might otherwise not be able to manage. So make as much money as you want, I'll make my fair share in taxes and labor on your part," she chuckled.

"To that end, however, Adhelm, you can market the clothes as you like. Clothes from another world sounds fantastic, but I will not let people think they can buy clothes to win my favor. I don't want people thinking that they can make shallow choices to flatter some sense of vanity to get favor from me. If they want something from me or want to get in my good graces I want reasons and evidence above all else. Besides, I doubt the nobles have that much money to spare beyond maintaining their status. Our taxes are proof of that fact, the only people with fluid incomes are adventurers, and those who deal with dungeons. Everything else is going to the war."

"Adhelm, I need you to talk to the nobles about me, sell them your clothes and prove to them that I have value both to them personally and to the nation as a whole. Have parties where you can discuss my values and my quirks make them understand that I have my own views and that if they want to profit from sitting at my table they better be willing to come and play my games with my rules."

"If I'm to be ruler,"
she was still shakey with that statement, " I want to do what is best for as many people as I can. I'm willing to make smart compromises and listen to all sides, but I will not abide by hubris or ignorance and I will not dance to anyone's song but my own. I'm putting a lot of faith and expectations in you Adhelm, so far you've managed to surpass my dreams so get ready for a high bar when it comes to everything else. We are all in this together now, and I will help you where I can I hope for the same in return."

"Also before I forget, while you are here take the measurements of the economics minister here while he cannot run away,"

Once the business with Adhelm was concluded and they were alone in the office Amelia sat in her usual chair. Things were really starting to move now and she had to kick her plans to the next stage if she was ready for it or not.

Looking to Liudger, "Everything we've done so far will help with stability or productivity. Games, clothes, food all have uses above and beyond their expenses. The games provide an outlet for the people's frustration, a distraction from the communal pain everyone suffers from being stolen from their homes. New clothes construction means new fashion, but it also means new protective gear for workers and adventurers. The food I want to grow with Goddard is a good deal heartier and has more flavor than most of the fruits or vegetables I've had here. That will both provide a new stronger variety of food and it will give more value to the country as a whole in the eyes of the war effort. Sinya told me just how difficult it was to be forced to be the single breadbasket for this campaign of the conflict."

Amelia paused to look at the Liudger's desk, "However, none of that actually helps with the fact that there is no real flow of commerce right now. The war is causing nations to literally fall as the enemy forces sweep through the land. That means that most of the hard currency, not to mention lives, gets erased in the process. To make matters worse to maintain a viable economy we have to stay in line with the remaining nations and continue to value coin above all else. However, there is one system in this world that literally produces money, the dungeon cores. The dungeons and the guild adventurers who explore them are the only people who are both free agents in terms of the war and have spending money burning in there pockets."

"If we as a country want to work our way out of debt and get a stable footing in this world we need to win over the guild, and I think I have an idea for that. Liudger, is there a royal physician, or does their office have records we could raid? I know you had the high priest helping look after me when first arrived, and no one with that title has been at any of the meetings."

Amelia at this point was rolling at full steam, seeing what Adhelm was able to accomplish had lit a fire behind Amelia's eyes and she didn't feel like slacking off. She hoped that while the medicine of this nation did not match anything from home let alone Nyx's power, that any record the castle had would still be enough for a classic teaching tool. She made a mental note the next time she had a lesson with Conrad to ask if he had any experience brewing things.

Throndir

Day 17 - Morning

"Always I am prepared!" Adhelm announced as he pulled out a measuring tape. Liudger sighed, but he eventually lifted his arms to allow the slightly eccentric noble to measure him.

"Then Lord Schröder, perhaps we can discuss some business propositions later, now that our Majesty have approved these new clothes. We do have connections to the royal courts of neighboring nations that we could perhaps sell these too as well."

"But first to our country's nobles!" Adhelm replied. He gave you a quick nod, before continuing back on his work on measuring Liudger. "The Schröder family name is known! I'll be able to have meetings with the rest of the nobles. Those in Schleitz, and those in Gladenstadt. Many of them are in the villas, you know."

Day 17 - Morning - After Adhelm leaves

"That would be our royal physician. He was the one who had set your bones in place once you were summoned, and also looked you over the morning after. He's under the purview of Father Barnabas, and generally stays at the cathedral. It's where the other priests and priestesses learn their medical skills."

Mysticsage

Day 17 - Morning

"I know most of them are here waiting on the coronation and the reveal of the hero, but if they were to hear my plans from my own mouth right now," she hesitated "they would just think I was some kind of kid with their head in the clouds."

"That's why I need your support to build some groundwork for me to stand on, Adhelm. I'm putting my faith in you that you can at least add some level of validity to my words."

Day 17 - After Adhelm leaves

"They work under Ragnar, that's perfect! He already helped me drill the fundamentals of the goddesses in no time. Despite the way he acts the Father is surprisingly dependable. I only hope that that man got out of bed for morning prayer on time today" she said with a smirk.

Not wanting to waste any additional time, she opened her friend's list and focused on the red head's name, "Good Morning Father Ragnar, this is your morning wake up call from your heroine who is on a roll today!" She said not knowing or caring if he understood the idiom.

"I apologize for jumping into your head like this, but I could use your help when you have the time today. I want to learn how to make medicine and brew drinks. I've been told that all the medical staff and books are under your jurisdiction. Also, I'm happy to make you your very own personal label of your favorite type of liquor when I've practiced. Do you think you could teach me or at least organize the people under you to teach me what I need?"