[Vanguard] Book 1 - Chapter 4.5: Beaks

Started by Throndir, January 02, 2020, 06:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

48 miles from Pyletus Village
Day 4 - Early Morning

The group continued on with their journey, pushing through the night out of insistence from those in Dian Cecht familia. The horses were continually fed the mystery potion from one of the Dian Cecht familia members, and even though the horses kept on going, the two large combat-ready from Dian Cecht familia looked pretty haggard. The two horses from Thalia familia weren't as disciplined, but with constant pushing, they continued onwards.

It was during the morning, right after sleeping shifts were changed, that up ahead, two strange-looking birds stared at the group from the tall grasses. They stood up on two taloned legs, almost 9 ft. tall. Sporting a long neck, it was their beak, shaped like an axe, that looked the most dangerous. They kept their heads up without moving away or nearer towards the wagon.

[info]Sleeping Schedule
10 PM -> 6 AM (Early Night, Middle Night, Late Night): Jars, Eydis, Mimsy
6 AM -> 2 PM (Early Morning, Late Morning, Early Afternoon): Rota
2 PM -> 10 PM (Late Afternoon, Early Evening, Late Evening): Ciara
Unknown: Taiga, Sotu, Yuki[/info]
[info]Need people to specify if they'll be awake or asleep during "Early Morning" (see above). Those who stay up too long will get the Fatigued condition (after 24 hours of last waking up).

Perception to determine distances seen.
Knowledge (nature) to identify birds.
[/info]
[info]Sleep Rules Reference
Forgoing sleep will incur the Fatigued condition and 1d6 nonlethal damage after 24 hours of staying up. After 48 hours of no sleep, they will incur the Exhausted condition and 2d6 nonlethal damage. Every day after will incur a stacking extra 1d6 nonlethal damage on top of the previous day's damage per day without sleep. For example, this would be 3d6 on the 3rd day. 4d6 on the 4th day, and so on.[/info]
[spoiler=Travel Log]Travel Log
Day 3 Early Night +1 Hex, encountered lions
Day 3 Middle Night +1 Hex, encountered nothing
Day 3 Late Night +1 Hex, encountered nothing
Day 4 Early Morning +1 Hex, sleeping schedule shift, encountered birds?[/spoiler]

Mysticsage

[info]because of my dark vision, senses and night powers I would take the late night shift so  I'm asleep[/info]

pringerbeam

[info]     Yuki would go back to sleep after the combat encounter and be awake for the daytime shifts.

Perception[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+3 : 3 + 3, total 6[/blockquote][/info]

Asta

[info]Sotu will sleep from 6am to 2pm, and be awake for the evening and night shifts.

Perception:
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+6 : 3 + 6, total 9[/blockquote][/info]

Schnizzer

[info] Ciara will stay up until her shift to sleep.

Throndir

[info]Sotu is asleep during Early Morning, so I'll work off of Yuki's Perception. If we're still before actual combat, I'll still allow people to put in their Perceptions to affect the distance for those who are awake during Early Morning.

Yuki's Perception: 6
At around 60 ft. away, you manage to see the large creatures further into the fields their eyes staring towards you. They weren't moving forward, or retreating, but seemed to be wary.[/info]

Throndir

Day 3 - Early Morning

[info][blockquote]Perception 1d20-1 : 10 - 1, total 9[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Knowledge (nature) 1d20+7 : 20 + 7, total 27[/blockquote][/info]

Throndir

Day 4 - Early Morning

"My dudes. Those are them Axe Beaks." Rota explained, pointing towards the large creatures. "Where I'm from, they're domesticated, kind of like horses or what-not. Sometimes, wild ones are caught, but it still takes time for them to be tamed a-properly. Their eggs sell for a crap ton they do. It's a predator... so they're probably sizing us up. It's weird they haven't attacked yet, they're usually territorial, bold, and kinda mean."

With that, she began to shake those sleeping awake. She hesitated slightly when it came to the dark elf, Eydis, but eventually shrugged and shook her, too.

Throndir

48miles from Pyletus Village
Day 4 - Early Morning

[info][blockquote]Perception 1d20+2 : 9 + 2, total 11[/blockquote][/info]

pringerbeam

"Well I hope they don't attack.  There's only so many wild animal attacks a girl can take in just one day."  Said Yuki as she shaded her brow with a hand, watching the birds from her perch.  "Think we could scare them off with something?  Like fireworks or something else really loud."

Mysticsage

Taiga groggily woke up from the shove as he listened to the others and did his best to follow along, "Do you think that this has to do with the eggs we took?"

He pushed the rest of his hair out of his face as he looked over the scene, "If their size is anything to go by the probably can outrun the wagon, but if we want I could try to keep them at a distance if we want to take potshots. I could even ram them if need be. This also may be a good moment to use that knife that Thalia gave us while they are hesitating and grouped together. If we can stun one we may be able to sell it alive at the village."

Mysticsage

[info]Taiga perception to check for a reason why they are hesitating

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+8 : 10 + 8, total 18[/blockquote][/info]

Schnizzer

Ciara looked over from atop the horse towards Taiga and the others, "Don't forget you're already getting a 'crap ton of money.' Do you really want to stop to try and catch a bird? We are in a bit of a hurry. We should keep moving and try to keep them away." She then glanced to the eggs after hearing Taiga's question. "If the eggs are the problem we should get rid of them. The horses can't take being in another fight and we can't let the shipment be damaged."

Mysticsage

"Your thought process assumes we can outrun them and they don't keep chasing us. We have a magic item that should at least be able to scare them and give us enough space to keep moving. Since we don't know if the eggs are the problem or if showing them won't make things worse. I say let's see if we cannot get them to leave us alone at least long enough to get the horses to book it."

Looking at his Eydris he smiled, "If you need to you can use my shoulder to aim your shot Sis."

pringerbeam

"Funny, I noticed you still took one of those eggs.  Clearly you seemed to think they were worth it back then."  Said Yuki without taking her eyes off the birds.  "Real funny, you sure you are in the right familia?  Maybe you should consider joining up.  Such a sense if humor would be much appreciated by our goddess I'm sure."