[Vanguard] Book 1 - Chapter 4.2: Tiring Horses

Started by Throndir, November 15, 2019, 05:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

24 miles from Spirnocum intersection
Day 3 - Late Afternoon

[info]2.5 hours travel per hex roughly. 3 hexes per 8 hours of travel.

If your character is not driving, but in the wagon, you could state if you are taking your full-rest during the 8 hours of travel.[/info]

Throughout the journey, Jars would be forcefully applying vials to both of the Dian Cecht familia horses continually at a rate of about once or twice per hour. As for the Thalia familia horses, they have been travelling for 8 hours now. It was around this time that the group would usually prepare camp, to give time for the horses to rest, and also stretch one's legs.

However, when the horses began to slow Jars had his own horse run in parallel with the Thalia wagon.

"Taiga, right? Keep pushing the horses to their limit." The rotund man said simply.

Rota, the elf who was with Dian Cecht familia, didn't seem to sleep very well, but she had eventually fallen asleep, though a bit troubled.

[info]Ciara
At around 4 PM, you begin to get tired, you've been up for the past 16 hours.[/info]
"Ciara, you can get some rest, Rota probably needs a few more hours. With the Thalia familia here, we can afford to take it a bit easier."

Schnizzer

Ciara tries to play off the weariness but she is exhausted. It'll be worth it in the end. That's what she keeps telling herself. She seems to snap back to attention when Jars mentions her. She looks down at Rota and shakes her head. "I told her she needed to get some sleep." She lets out a soft sigh then looks back up to Jars. "Don't give her too much longer. But you're right. Wake me if there's any trouble." She then folds her arms and tilts her head down and tries to fall asleep.

Mysticsage

"I'll push them for now, but your cargo cannot afford them collapsing mid sprint," he said matter-o-factly.

"If you want to keep pushing them I suggest we rotate them at the very least before they break. You guys are maintaining an easier load so they will last longer," The added benefit for taiga's plan was if jars really wanted to keep pace while using their horses he would naturally have to use some of those potions on them.

Throndir

Day 3 - Early Evening

Jars pulled out what looked to be a vial, then tossed it towards Taiga.

"We have a couple hundred of these, alongside the goods we're delivering to Tyresia." Jars said. "It ensures the horses won't collapse. They may become fatigued and exhausted, such as the Dian Cecht familia horses, but as long as you continue to push them, they can make it. About 1 or 2 per hour is enough to keep them going."

"Once we stop applying the vials however, there is a chance of death. But even if your two horses die, the Dian Cecht famila will compensate for the loss of your horses above what we'll be paying. Don't forget that we're losing 10% for every day. If we are going to postpone, I will have to attempt to buy your wagon, or reduce your commission."

Mysticsage

"People need your goods, I'm pragmatic enough to understand certain risks need to be taken," he said waving off his concern as he caught the vail.

"If you are willing to share what is keeping your horses going I'll do my best to make sure they get there on time,"
he already started the process of applying the vial as he was told in a hope of keeping the horses moving and not slowing down.

Throndir

Day 3 - Late Afternoon

"It's a special concoction of our familia." Jars explained. "It's similar to a healing potion, it heals them, though it also lets the horses ignore the wounds they've been suffering by inhibiting their pain responses. I can't tell you more than that though, it's what had given our familia an edge against our competitors. We've already been travelling for 5 days. Since then, these horses have been marching constantly. Though the use of it is not one without risk. Likely the two horses we've been using since out of Orario will need to be replaced once we reach our destination... But the replacement of said horses is all part of the expenses for the deal."

Mysticsage

"If you could negotiate the replacement of any horses we need as well, it would be much appreciated," driving animals this hard, put a bad taste in his mouth. But if the town was willing to pay as over one million vals for the medicine they must be in dire need for it. The idea of little kids bedridden and in pain was enough to push him forward.

If the village had been in trouble he would want to move heaven and earth to help them if he could. Thalia, alone, would have done everything in her power to keep them alive. So for the sake of good karma, he would go beyond his own comfort level to make sure this medicine got to its destination on time.

Throndir

[spoiler=Roleplay excelia]1 step, Taiga, concern

1/2

CR 1/2 split between 6 (Taiga, Mimsy, Yuki, Sotu, Eydis, Ciara)[/spoiler]

Throndir