[All] Book 1 - A Drink Amongst Friends

Started by Mysticsage, November 03, 2019, 04:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mysticsage

Location -Troupe's Choice
Day 1- After the Show

The Troupe's Choice was alive with the complex discordant music that was a mixture of conversation and laughter of so many people that it was impossible to pick out any one voice. The main bar room was packed tighter than it had been for months after Thalia's announcement simply hours earlier. Everyone was too excited to sleep, the townsfolk were simply trying to grasp what this kind of earth-shattering change would mean for their daily lives. At the same time those outsiders who had been present for the performance, traveling adventurers, merchants and the like, were trying their best to sell anything and everything they had on hand to the townsfolk that might be even remotely tied to the life in the big city. They saw the townsfolk of this small country town as easy marks for a life they were unprepared for.

For Taiga, the local muscle for the tavern outside the occasional drunk shouting match all he could do was wait and watch for one of these idiots to slip up. The town needed the favor of the merchants after all, and while the actual specifics were not his forte he understood that if he tried to stop every bad deal that happened then they would just end up souring the pot. Now if one of them got pushy then that would be a different matter, but for now, all he could do was watch the room from his usual spot at the end of the bar and stew in his own thoughts as he maintained vigilance. His own excitement aside could everyone handle the sudden shift? A majority of the village had joined the famila and only a handful of hose were actual fighters or were used to dealing with a variety of new people on a regular basis. To call almost everyone here except a select few country bumpkins would not be a stretch.

He was going to have a lot more responsibility for people once they got to the city, adding that to his list of goals his own mental accounting was getting rather complex. But the knot in the pit in his stomach refused to let him back down. So he watched with furrowed brows as the townsfolk tried and failed to handle the advances of the power-hungry merchant. He was glad at that moment that his size and delinquent appearance allowed him to brush away any merchants that tried to approach him leaving the sets of either side of him empty.

Kerrick

Kerrick pushed his way through the crowd and up behind tiaga, placing one hand on his should he says "you can't possibly be this grumpy looking at such an event you must learn to loosen up even if just a little bit"

Mysticsage

"I'm literally getting paid to be serious and look scary you know," Taiga said with a smirk. "If I look relaxed who knows what kind of trouble might show up."

Kerrick had to reach slightly even while Taiga was seated to reach his shoulder due to his size but the weretiger let the younger man take the seat next to him. Kerrick was a few years older than Taiga and had been at the orphanage for a while before he was brought there by Thalia. He always had a smile on his face and never a care in the world. From Taiga's point of view, he could never quite tell if Kerrick was just unshakable or if he was just had his own view of the world. Regardless, he was always surrounded by the other children, something that Taiga could never really achieve himself.

However, because of that happy-go-lucky demeanor it meant that he was one of the few people outside his sister who approached the intimidating brawler. No matter what the other kids claimed or how he acted the werewolf would always appear at his side.

As the two boys grew up Kerrick stayed the same as Taiga did his best to find his own ground. This caused a kind of reversal of positions at least physically if not mentally. Where when they were children and Kerrick was very much the cool older boy, who Taiga both idolized and was in awe of, as they grew older Taiga began to take the lead acting like the older sibling versus the other way around.

"Are you having a good time tonight Kerrick? I know you love when Thalia's shows bring in a big crowd of new people."

Kerrick

Kerrick smiles widely "I am assuredly having a great time I know your getting paid just goofing you, don't know if you met this little guy yet" kerrick holds out his lizard "he's my little buddy when you aren't around he's a good little lizard bonded with me almost immediately kerrick plays with the lizards tail what do you say I'll drink you watch the bar and we can talk about whatever comes up if anything goes down in here I'll help uh well I'll watch at least kerrick laughs a bit and orders an ale

Mysticsage

Taiga smiles a kind of rueful, "Sure take a seat, and I'm glad you've been keeping yourself occupied and not lonely out in the wilderness."

Taiga half hardheartedly scooches over to give the smaller man more room to sit as he watches the lizard's head flit about trying to take in it's foreign surrounds. Kerrick always had a way with animals often trying to sneak in and hide all manner of creatures into the orphanage. Because Taiga slept slightly separated from the other kid he had often woken up in the middle of the night while Kerrick tried to smuggle food to whatever companion that had followed him home. It seemed that the habit had followed him into adulthood, and without an authority figure to say no he could do as he pleased. At least this pet was the right size for a pet at least for the time being. Knowing his luck it would probably turn into some rare magical beast when it got older.

"So what did you want to talk about?" he asked settling in.

Kerrick

"well just the other night I was outside it was just before dark the smell of the houses and just the overall obiamce was just the best and I'm only thinking of this now knowing we are to leave our humble town and follow our lady Thalia it's uh all alot for some simple orphans and such" kerrick stares with a smile

Mysticsage

"You know, that thought never crossed my mind." Taiga smirked.

"Not only is there very little nature to speak of in the city. But there are more people there then either of us have seen in our lifetime. All of us are probably going to be real country bumpkins for a while, and you are going to get used to being surrounded by people and sleeping where you can't hear animals."

"I imagine there is going to be a big culture shock for a lot of people. We will all have to adapt to the new lifestyle. It will be like the orphanage again only even more complicated!"
Taiga chuckled.

Kerrick

I am not looking forward to the lack of nature and the crowded town but on the bright side I'll have my lizard and perhaps I can make some city animal friend even though I doubt rats are very fun kerrick laughs a bit now on the other hand it will be so much fun there's so much to do and they are bound to have a garden or two I could help with, and with your talent I can't see you not fitting right in after all your a people person kerrick throws a very large smirk then laughs at his own joke while taking a sip of his ale

Mysticsage

Taiga laughed, "Me fit in? People tend to see me and assume I want to fight right off the bat rather than make friends. Not everyone is as clueless of what I look like as you are. What about you? All we have to do is buy you a new set of clothes and before long you'll have adapted so much that you'll get a city accent before long.Before long I imagine you'll be more used to city streets than the wilds."

Imagining Kerrick in the latest city fashion both brought an absurd smile to his face and yet somehow worked as they would all need to shed their personas as country bumpkins sooner rather than later.

"As for animals, I'm sure you'll have a whole pack of stray dogs and cats as friends in no time. At least with the concentration I imagine they won't be had to find."

Kerrick

Kerrick laughs at the very thought of all of this but soon realizes its all going to come true not like some sad dream hmmm yeah its gonna be weird, so what are your plans tiaga i'm going to travel directly with Thalia make sure she stays safe and of course have fun other wise its gonna seem like alot of work kerrick wipes his brow pets his lizard and starts singing a song from the orphanage (insert song here)

Mysticsage

Taiga smiled, "I'm planning on joining the Vanguard team in hopes of getting everyone a home by the time you get there. So do your best in protecting Thalia and I promise I'll get you the coolest place I can for you to relax when you get there."

"Your right though, this trip is a step into a larger world in the first place. Try to take as much as you can to experience different places and have as much fun as you can. Like Thalia says the whole world is just one big stage where we are all the main character. Take your time to meet people try new things and have as many adventures as you can. I know that is my plan and  you don't want to be falling behind right?" Taiga chuckled knowing a little bit of friendly competition would light a fire under his friend.

Kerrick

I would never fall behind kerrick sits straight up of course if i did fall behind it would give me an advantage with my bow kerrick smiles and drinks some more wonder what the rest of the familia is up to tonight. kerrick scans the bar quickly looking for familiar faces hmm dont see anyone but thats alright your really my only friend tiaga havent really bonded with the others.

Mysticsage

"You don't need to worry," Taiga said with a warm smile, "Everyone here is family after all. Sure you may need to work to get to know people more, but there are plenty of people who rely on you and what you hunt for the village. Even if they don't know you by name, they know and appreciate your work."

"And if you really want to make new friends and connections why don't you pick up a side job or a hobby? Take a place like this,"
he said looking around the tavern.

"It takes a lot of people to keep up a tavern probably even more for a place in the city. You could work for a tavern getting good ingredients and behind the bar to talk to people. Make connections with the regulars who make a habit of stopping by. You could also ask Thalia for rolls in her performances that would give you a whole new group you don't normally interact with." Taiga laughed.

"Feel free to think outside your comfort zone if you want to meet new people, after all, even if things go sideways I'll always have your back and try to help you the best I can."

Kerrick

you are a good friend to have tiaga I will try all of these things u suggest