[Jean] Chapter 17: Back to Mt. Velothia

Started by pringerbeam, August 09, 2019, 02:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pringerbeam

Jean shielded his face from the biting wind making its way into the outpost and hefted the backpack of equipment that Lili had gathered for him.  Turning back he stood in front of Ren and Telamon.  "Take care and behave yourself."  He said to Ren with a hug and a kiss of her neck.  He slid his head up to nip at her ear and whispered softly.  "I'll miss you too."  Withdrawing he sidestepped to Telamon.  "And you too.  Keep an eye out."  He said with a hug and a deep kiss.  "Especially on the priests."  He said as he pulled away from her.

Turning back to the windy doorway he nodded to Dalina and Lili and shepherded them out into the storm.  He looked to Viridio on their perch on his shoulder.  "I guess you're up Viridio."  After Viridio transformed Jean watched and spoke to Dalina, his voice raised to overcome the sound of the wind.  "You mind driving?  I'm not really sure how to ride Viridio.  I've never really rode...  Well anything but a bicycle."

[info]Equipment
-Parka (assuming that one that fits can be acquired in time, if not Jean will just rely on his enchanted robe)
-Backpack
-2 days of Trail Rations for 3 people
-1 Medium Tent
-12 hours of Firewood/Subterranean equivalent (in inventory if it will fit)
-2 Bedrolls
-2 Blankets
-2 Winter Blankets
-200 ft of silk rope
-The heating stones that Lili mentioned earlier.[/info]

Throndir

[info]A parka was provided, though, it was dwarven sized rather than for a human. It would still work, if a bit short and too wide on the chest.[/info]Both Telamon and Renenutet said their goodbyes. If not for the kiss, Ren would have probably made a bigger scene, but as Viridio transformed, with Dalina hopping on top of the pheonix-like mount, Ren only looked at you sadly.

"Come hop up... You too Lili. It might be best to have Lili in the middle, right behind me." Dalina said as Lili began to awkwardly and hesitantly climb up.

pringerbeam

Jean pulled the master room orb out of his pocket and willed some mana into it.  "Hold on just a second.  31, let Marina know that we're coming back.  If possible, we'll want to meet with the leaders of the dragon knights to let them know about their neighbors."  He then put the orb into his inventory for safety and looked to Lili.  "Up we go?"  He said, lifting Lili up and setting her down behind Dalina.  He then took his place behind her and grabbed onto Dalina's hips, enclosing Lili in his embrace and scooting up as much ad possible to make sure she was secure. "Ready?"  He asked Lili once he felt settled.

Throndir

"R-ready..." Lili said nervously. "Ah'm not sure if this is really that safe?"

"Don't worry, if you fall, Viridio will catch you." Dalina said mirthfully, and with that Viridio launched herself into the cold air as the neverending storm continued to brew. Viridio didn't seem to be affected much by the cold air at all, even though she looked like she was made out of fire, there was only the normal amount of warmth one would expect from a living creature.

Viridio ascended way up into the skies and clouds, and you began to visibly notice the weather started to warm, and the storm reduce. Passing through some clouds, and finally reaching above it, the skies itself were completely clear.

Eastwards Viridio flew. Soon enough you caught sight of the mountain. The original journey to the west had taken a few hours. Couple with the distance to traverse back, and then also make the way to Velothia, you estimated that Viridio traveled around twice as fast.

Date: Day 9 (Jean), Day 11 (Rosalie) - Time: 4:30 PM

As you neared, a group of dragonknights and other wind priests neared. You recognized Vitaliya.

"Dalina! Jean! Vere have you two been?"

pringerbeam

In response to Lili's nerves Jean pulled one of his arms from Dalina to wrap it more securely around Lili's waist.  "Don't worry, I managed not to fall when I rode Gust through the storms.  It's not too bad of a ride."  He said as they ascended through the buffeting winds.

"Hey Vitaliya!"  He shouted back as they came up to the greeting party.  "Had to make a short detour to the west.  You know, fleeing for my life, getting engaged, delving through ruins...  Hero stuff.  Can we take this conversation to the ground?  We have a new companion that's not used to flying.  Dalina, if we could head to your house first?  I want to pick up Anja, let her know that we're okay, and check on Gust."

Throndir

Date: Day 9 (Jean), Day 11 (Rosalie) - Time: 4:30 PM

"Sure! Oh and a... 'Karn' has been looking for you. Ze Velothian hero and him came back last night... we vere getting a bit vorried. But Karn vas more interested in getting his materials back."

The journey back to the Wind Temple, which was still 'docked' at the very top of Mt. Velothia was just as you expected. Dalina's house too was in sight.

"Sis! Jean!" She said, tears forming into her eyes when the group came in.

pringerbeam

"Yes, I know I'll see him as soon as I can." Said Jean as he dismounted Viridio and entered Dalina's family home.  He found Anja sitting up in one of the main room's chairs.  "Anja, I'm sorry I worried you."  He sad as he picked her up in a hug.  "I know I said I wasn't going to separate you and Dalina but it was just too dangerous.  Summon Tentacle."  He said as he set Anja down, summoning four tentacles and instructing them to pick up Anja and form a chair for her in the same way Ren had done before.  "It should be safe now though so I came to pick you up and look..."  He said as he willed the tentacles to move about the room.  "I learned a new trick.  Ren won't need to carry you now while we find a way to heal you.  How's Gust?"

Jean, now with Anja in tow, made his way down to the stairs to descend down to the Dragon's encampment.  There, he asked the first knight he saw where he could find Karn and the other's from Amie's village.  Once he got directions, he set off, looking for the alchemist.  "So..."  He said to Lili as they walked through the camp.  "What do you think of the surface world so far?"

Throndir

Anja blinked her eyes as she was scooped up by the tentacles. "T-thank you." Anja said when you gently placed her on the tentacle-chair. When you willed it to move around, Anja's eyes grew wide first in shock, and then in glee as she started to giggle and laugh.

"Can I control it in any way?" Anja asked.

Date: Day 9 (Jean), Day 11 (Rosalie) - Time: 5:00 PM

You had gotten directions from one of the dragonknights, and they had pointed you towards a set of camps and tents a short distance away from the knight's training camp. Once there, there were the villagers who recognized you. There were a lot of praises and thanks to you, but soon enough you found yourself towards what looked to be an actual house, surrounded by a sea of tents.

Once you neared the house, the door opened by itself. Inside, you see Karn on a desk in the room, facing towards the door that had just opened, with a set of vials in front of him, along with beakers, and unidentified liquids. You noticed you didn't see his daughter, nor the other hero.

"Hero of the Wind Priests. I was wondering where you had gone." Karn said, not looking up from his work.

pringerbeam

"Uh...  Good question!  Give it a try.  Try to think about them moving somewhere.  If that doesn't work, try saying it  out loud."  Said Jean as he tried willing the tentacles to obey Anja's commands.

"Karn, keeping busy I see."  He said with a wave to the house's walls as he took a seat in one of the chairs in front of the desk.  "Unfortunately, things have been a bit rough getting back here.  But don't worry, your materials are all safe.  Do you have someplace you want me to put them?  Oh, and I think I should introduce you to Lili, my fiance, and princess of the kingdom of Drugan.  Lili, Karn: an alchemist of apparent great renown back in his old world.  I think I've found something you would appreciate Karn.  Lili's people have an apparently high level of technological and alchemical advancement."  He said with a wave to Lili. 

"In fact, I have also come into possession of an ancient and powerful flying ship, built with magic and technology far beyond what it sounds like any of us have ever encountered.  I'm talking technological advancements that could destroy entire armies in a single push of a button."  He crossed his fingers in front of him and looked at Karn.  "Not to mention alchemical technology that seems to be able to create life forms that are an amalgamation of science and magic on a level my world only dreamed of..."  He continued to stare at Karn, pausing for a second to gauge his response.  "I want your help.  I know you are a man of science, a leader, someone that knows the importance of preserving knowledge and, I hope, the wherewithal to stand firm when faced with pressure.  I want to recruit you to help with my plan to save this world.  I will need an alchemist of great skill to help the dwarves produce the fuel for my ship, to help them integrate the technologies of the ship into their own, and to help steward to power of the Ramparts.  Would you be willing to accept my offer?"

Throndir

Anja was silent at first, but the tentacles didn't move. She frowned. "Umm... go forward?" The tentacles paused for a bit, but didn't seem to want to move. "Please?" With that the tentacles moved forward. "I can move around now..." Anja said a hint of awe in her voice. "Okay tentacles, move me up to Jean. Please."

The tentacle chair glided over to you. "Now... Raise me up too please." Slowly, Anja was lifted up higher. Once her head was right below yours, Anja reached over to hug you a second time. "Thank you... Jean."

After that, Anja started to give commands to the tentacles, zooming around the area.

"Thank you for that Jean." Dalina said watching her sister. She glanced at you appreciatively. "I'm going to go check up on Gust. You can go on ahead though. Show Lili how it's like up here." She grinned.

Quote"So..."  He said to Lili as they walked through the camp.  "What do you think of the surface world so far?"

Through the journey, Lili was quiet. Her eyes were wide taking in the sights of everything. The first time Viridio had climbed above the unnatural storm clouds, Lili was taking in all the breathtaking sights in simple silent awe. She would dart her eyes every which way when you neared the mountain, and especially at the Wind Temple too. Once you had landed, Lili had briefly crouched down to pull some random grasses that grew and looked at them in an almost awe-filled way.

"Tis amazing up 'ere, Jean. Thir's a lot o' green... Loads o' plants. 'n' th' world feels so much bigger. Ah didnae know th' sky cuid be sae... big. Tis pure different from home, a'm feelin' lik' ah hae a lot more freedom up 'ere."

"Dwarves? The more I learn about this world... The more it seems like it's from a story book." At this, Karn actually raised his eye briefly to stare at Lili, perhaps curious to see what a dwarf actually looked. "Not quite what I had imagined... But... if what you say is true, then consider my interest piqued." Karn said, actually putting down his various vials to give you and Lili more attention.

He focused on a spot in front of the desk, and from the ground, it looked as if the marble floor itself transformed into two chairs. "Come sit." He said. You couldn't help that it sounded more like a command than a request.

"More than the materials you have stored away, what you're offering is much more interesting. Amie may be interested as well, though, she is busy galavanting with the dragonknight hero. Before I accept... I would like to know more about the dwarves of this world... Their advancements... perhaps your fiance can enlighten me on. Lastly, what do you know of these... Ramparts?"

QuoteWe don't have to RP the entire thing. Just give me a list of things you might specifically tell him, along with how open you were to the information you're giving him.

pringerbeam

Jean hugged Anja back.  "Anything for my apprentice.  Oh, Anja, I almost forgot.  This is my fiance Lili.  She's a dwarf and a princess!  Lili, this is Dalina's sister Anja."

"It is, isn't it?  As big as your city is, it's just a single city in a land that stretches for hundreds of miles and full of tens of thousands of people.  All this..."  He waved his hands at the encampment as they passed by.  "Is just a single small fragment of it as well.  When I said your people would benefit from the world above, this is the stuff I meant.  Not only would you benefit from the bounty of the surface's resources but you have the freedom of an endless sky, rolling hills, deep forests.  I kinda wish your grandfather was here so I could convince him to see something beyond the walls of the caverns.  I think he has forgotten what it was like to be able to walk the surface since your people were shifted to this land."  His nose perked up at the smell of roasting meat and his stomach grumbled.  The frigid winds of the ride back to the mountain had helped sober him and his stomach was demanding something more substantial than the bread and water he had consumed for breakfast.  "Hey let's get something to eat.  You can sample some of the surface's fine cuisine."

[info]Jean will explain what the Ramparts and the Thamylon Legend are as well as the fuel requirements of the ship.  He will also make sure to note that he is the owner of the ship.  He will leave out any information on the exact nature of the weapons unless directly questioned by Karn, then he will try to explain as best as he can.  He will also try to explain Telamon's nature to Karn.

Jean will leave explaining the dwarves' technology to Lili but will prompt her with some of the technologies he has seen.[/info]
     "So what do you think?  As I think you might be able to tell, I'm going to need an army of personnel to make uniting and operating the Thamylon Legend a reality.  Your skills would be invaluable in this venture and while I honestly don't trust you, I do trust your natural curiosity."

Throndir

Anja began to awkwardly bow towards Lili. "Pleased to meet you princess Lili." Anja said trying to sound as formal as possible. At this Lili just giggled. Being a dwarf, Anja at 4' 10" was a little less than a foot taller than Lili, but she was still short enough that Lili was able to put a gentle hand on Anja's shoulder.

"No need fer that. Ye'll learn that me 'n' my faither don't care much fer formality." Lili said smiling.

At this Anja straightened her back again, blushed, and nodded.

"Sae... yer Jean's apprentice then? Ye' know Jean, thir's bin werk from my people wi' creatin' mechanical prosthetics. Tis a derivative o' th' werk wi' examinin' this gauntlet ah wear."

Lili grinned at that. "Ah heard o' stories. It'd be th' furst time someone from my city would be tryin' food up here... Well. let me at it!"

Getting directions, you were quickly showed the way to one of the cabins that was considered to be their kitchen. The door was already wide open, with a chef inside going back and forth taking care of cooking and baking. You heard her grumbling to herself.

"Ooooohh! That Valeriya, she eats too much. Tooooooo much! I swear! Half the food I make ends up in her stomach. And now all the other knights want to show off that they can eat more, gosh!" She sighed audibly, then noticing you and Lili she froze. "Oh... Hello... I don't recognize you. Are you umm... a wind priest?" The chef said noticing your garb. "And... is that cute little girl behind you a priest too?"

"Fasincating." Karn said simply, then he stood up. "Very well. I accept your offer. I assume some sort of office or place to do my work will be provided, yes? Then simply keep the materials with you for now and drop it off there. Presumably you have matters to take care of here? I'll send word for Amie, but I expect to be ready to head out within an hour." Already the man started to begin packing away his laboratory equipment. You couldn't help but notice there were crystals on his desk as well that glowed with mana.

pringerbeam

"A Prostheses...  I hadn't thought of that.  It wouldn't be permanent would it?  I do plan on eventually finding a magical way of healing Anja so I wouldn't want something that might prevent her from eventually using her original legs."

"Oh, right...  I never really got to meet anyone here.  I'm Jean, hero of the wind temple and this is Lili, princess to the dwarves of Drugan."  Jean, following his nose, drifted his way over to what looked like a giant boar roasting on a huge spit over a bed of coals.  "But enough about us...  I can't help but notice that you have a giant boar cooking here."  He said as the saliva began to well in his cheeks.

"Unfortunately, passage to the dwarven kingdom is a bit hazardous at the moment and there are only so many that can travel to the peak safely at a given time.  We will be opening a less hazardous route as fast as we can, but that might take a few weeks.  For now, I just needed to make sure I could count on you when we were able to get the kingdom opened up to the rest of the world.  I can still drop your materials off back in the capital, but you might want them for what you're doing in the meantime.  Speaking of..."  He said as he looked at the crystals sitting on the the desk.  "Are those mana crystals?"

Throndir

Date: Day 9 (Jean), Day 11 (Rosalie) - Time: 4:45 PM

"It wouldn't be permanent, na. Much lik' mah big gluv, it kin be fitted ower whatever's missing or broken. We'd likelie hae tae hae it custom-made though."

Date: Day 9 (Jean), Day 11 (Rosalie) - Time: 5:00 PM

The boar that was roasting was absolutely large. perhaps 8-9 ft. in length, and weight at least 1500 lbs. It was already cleaned, shaved, and spitted. The meat itself looked absolutely soft and tender.

"I knooooow! They caught the first one a few days ago... That one took me forever, and no one bothered to help too! I'm just glad the dragons who decided to eat turned into their human forms!" She sighed audibly. "They caught this one last night and it's been cooking slowly since too."

She paused as if a realization hit her.

"Oh you're the wind priest hero! Everyone was talking about you, since you didn't appear at all yesterday... Oh well, it doesn't really concern me anyways. But help yourself!" With that, the chef handed both of you a knife and fork. And a moment after that, she got back to the rest of the cooking. There was already plenty of other dishes made

Lili's eyes were wide looking at the boar, and you couldn't help but notice that she too was drooling.

Date: Day 9 (Jean), Day 11 (Rosalie) - Time: 6:00 PM

"Still a few weeks?" The alchemist visibly deflated as he stopped his packing. Sighing he sat back down again. "Then yes, drop the materials right outside, I'll create a temporary vault here to store them. As for this 'mana crystal', yes. I saw some at the dragonknight camp when we landed here. They used them for simple light fixtures. I was curious to see how it worked... and I admit, this is a new type of elemental composition I haven't run into before. It's intriguing... and apart from orichalcum, this would be the second type of material that can so easily absorb mana."

QuoteSince it seems you were already pretty open with the tech you found, presumably you mentioned the fuel problem and how these crystals can help.

"I'll need to understand what exactly this caretaker of the Ramparts does to turn this into a liquid... The composition, the atomic structure, along with how mana and magic works with it. The component of magic can potentially be hard to figure out all the intricacies, but I am one of the most skilled alchemists in my world, I'm certain, given time I might be able to reproduce this ether liquid myself, or perhaps, if science willing, recompose the liquid from scratch."

pringerbeam

"Hmm...  Well what do you think Anja?  When we get to Drugan do you want to see about getting something to help you walk?"  Asked Jean as he looked to Anja.

"Oh, thank you so much.  I didn't get much of a chance to eat this morning."  Jean sliced into the boar's belly and took a bite of the fat dripping morsel.  The meat practically melted in his mouth and he swooned.  "Oh, you have to try this."  He said as he sliced off another bite and offered it to Lili. 

"Yes, unfortunately the safer routes to and from the kingdom were abandoned shortly after they were shifted here.  Unless you have a safe way to make it to the mountain peak, I wouldn't recommend trying to brave the storms."  Said Jean as he picked up one of the crystals.  "Hmmm..."  He pondered as Karn discussed what he knew of the crystals.  "Well the ship is capable of drawing energy directly from our own energy reserves as well as the liquid ether fuel...  Perhaps there is some way to produce the fuel directly from our own mana."  He said as he rotated the crystal in his hand.  "It would certainly help prevent a sudden shortfall whenever a vein has been mined dry...  Anyways, I'm glad you're willing to help me.  I'll leave your materials outside."  He said as he took his leave, taking Karn's materials out of his inventory and leaving them outside as instructed.

Finished with that task, Jean began to head out of the villager's portion of the camp and looked around.  "Hmmm...  One more thing I need to take care of before we try and get the knight's leaders together."  He said, spotting a dragon knight and, presumably, their dragon passing by.  "I don't suppose you know where the dragon Alyona is?"