[Vanguard] Book 1 - Chapter 1: Departure

Started by Throndir, September 08, 2019, 01:38:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

Thalia Village
Day 2 - Early Morning

It was early. It wasn't even dawn yet, but already, a few villagers of Thalia village were busy preparing for the group heading forth to Orario, which they had dubbed as the 'vanguard'. Either the night before, or early that morning, you decided that you would be a good fit for venturing out to Orario first.

The mayor of the village, Jadran Wagner, looked over the wagon that was prepared that morning as you and the rest of your group waited for the rest of the villagers to finish loading it up with a variety of supplies. Food, clothing, spare weapons, blankets, spare clothing, various tools like fishing rods and nets, along with other items someone figured the vanguard group would need.

The entire process didn't take too long. Many of the villagers were already pretty gung-ho with getting everything prepared, and they all knew that setting up a base site in Orario was perhaps one of the most important jobs to take, even if it means missing out the festival that was being planned for the departure date of Thalia's group.

Jadran motioned for the rest of you to gather just when the wagon was finally prepped and ready. In his hands looked to be a chest.

"I want you all to keep this safe... It's not quite all the savings of the village, but it's perhaps around half of it. I'm not entirely sure myself on how pricey it is to setup over there in Orario... But hopefully we can use this to get something setup for the rest of us. It's probably the most valuable thing here." He explained as he placed the chest neatly in the wagon, nestled away between some other crates, and left in a spot where the driver could easily pick it up if they needed to. Next, Jadran pulled out what looked to be a scroll case, then handed it to one of you. Inside the scroll case was a map.

"This is the route to get there... One of the merchants who saw the play last night decided to sell this to us for cheap. According to him, it's up to date. Now... any other questions before you guys head out?"

[spoiler=OODM]Cropped map here.[/spoiler]

pringerbeam

[spoiler]     Yuki jumped into the wagon with the establishing funds in it and knocked on the side of the chest to hear the satisfying thunk of a chest filled with vals.  She grinned at the idea of having so much cash just a quick reach away, easily enough she guessed to buy the biggest house in the village.  She looked around to see if she could reach into the chest amongst the hustle and bustle of the preparations and the map was being examined.  A perfect opportunity except for her grandmother's most severe gaze piercing through the crowd as she walked unimpeded straight up to the wagon.

"I expect that when the other clan members get to the city with the goddess and the rest of the familia that there will be a grand hall awaiting them."  Said the old amazoness  as she slapped Yuki's hands from their place hovering over the latch of the chest.  "Of course they will but what about a proper mansion like we have here?  Won't that need just a little bit of money that no one would miss?"  She asked as he hands drifted up to the latch only to be slapped away again.  "Familia first Yuki."  Replied her grandmother.  "The mansion can wait.  Now, go look at the map like everyone else.  I'll be thrice damned if a Kanade gets lost trying to get to the city.  And don't ruin the familia's reputation on your way through.  A successful reconnaissance goes unnoticed."  With that the old kunoichi vanished like a wisp of smoke on the wind and Yuki, giving up on the temptation of the treasure, made her way to the other vanguard members gathered around the map. [/spoiler]

"Long walk...  At least it doesn't look like we have to brave any mountains.  Seems the route is mostly plains and grasslands."  Said Yuki as she squeezed into the gathered vanguard party.   "Too bad.  We could have all cuddled together for warmth on those long frigid nights. "  She smiled slyly as she examined the map.  "Does anyone know anything about the villages we'll be passing through?"

Mysticsage

Taiga shakes his head, "I don't, but we're bringing along a bunch of people, so I'm sure we can figure things out as we go." Tai looked around for Sieg, to see that he had managed to get away from his father all right to see him off. Taiga was not sold on him entirely coming along but knew what it felt like to need to try and spread his wings. For now, however, the kid would need to stay behind to help with the village.

That being said the younger man would be staying always within the weretiger's eyesight if he had something to say about the matter once he made it to the city. He didn't need anyone's blood on his hands from the family. At least he knew once they got to Orario things could hopefully calm down a bit. Taiga was almost vibrating as he was able to carry most of his worldly belongings on his back with ease. Finally, he could experience the city life that Rayza had always talked about. He made sure to double-check that he had all his notes safely tucked away so that he could find her real shop in the city once they made it.

Throndir

Thalia Village
Day 2 - Earlier

Mimsy breathed in a long and deeply. She had nothing to worry about, but she had a mix of emotions as she stared towards the wagon that was being prepared. She had her parents blessing, even Sotu, one of her younger siblings was with her. Just up ahead was the gathering group of people that would make their way to Orario with funds from the familia to setup a home base of some sort. Other people had already started putting things into the wagon. She was absolutely nervous, but with her sister right behind her, she had to make sure not to show any of that anxiety.

"Well Sotu, there they are. We have a promise to keep to the rest of the family... And it starts right here." Taking one more long breath in, she sauntered straight into the group.

Thalia Village
Day 2 - Present

Mimsy was positively beaming with energy, now that she was starting to realize completely that her dream of heading to Orario would become a reality. When the map was pulled out this increased that particular intensity even more. Mimsy had been one of the ones glancing eagerly towards the map, right behind the mayor, as her eyes sparkled with glee, and she herself made some cooing sounds when the map was opened.

"W-well... It looks like most of it is in Rakia."

[spoiler=Intelligence check on Rakia][blockquote]Rolled 1d20+0 : 11, total 11[/blockquote][/spoiler]

Asta

Sotu, being so short, couldn't see the map. This didn't matter however, because she wasn't the least bit interested. Instead she slowly shifted her gaze across the collection of people that had arrived so far. An Amazon being scolded by her granny and very tall Weretiger who looked beyond thrilled to be a part of what was going on.

"Mmm." she vocalized quietly, and then yawned. She hoped there would be room in the cart to take a nap.

Linwelin

Thalia Village
Day 2 - Earlier

"Huuuuu!" Eydis exhaled as she set down a pack of tools on the back of the carriage, quickly wiping sweat from her brow. She then whipped around, spotting a certain, flat, blackened, metal lump at the side of the road. The last of her supplies. The worst of her supplies. It was at this very moment she had begun to regret her intent to move with the group so early. Were it at a later time she could simply procure a new workshop. But as the vanguard, all they had was an empty, or at least unknown, plot of land at the end of their journey. For all she knew, the smelting would have to be done with her rune magic instead of a furnace."The old coot would be going on a tirade if he saw the kind of situation I'll be working in." Eydis almost felt a headache remembering one of her father's rants, her ears feeling a traumatic strain just from the memory.

"Oi! Taiga!" The dark elf called out into the distance at a familiar, towering figure. Once she'd gotten his attention, she pointed toward her anvil, her intentions obvious, and her actions a fairly normal occurrence for her target. "You're not going to let this sister of yours break her back, are you!?"

I could just enhance my strength a bit, but why put in that kind of effort with that energetic kid around? Eydis thought, smirking for but a moment before assuming her normal, stern expression.

Thalia Village
Day 2 - Present

Eydis raised her hand to face level, "I have one. Well, more of a clarification. What kind of land or establishment are we hoping to obtain in Orario?" She then pointed down toward the map with that same hand, tracing her finger along the proposed route. "And the opposite of Yuki. Do any of you know what kinds of dangers dwell in these areas? If not, I'll go ask around so we can prepare properly. Best to not be so excited that we get careless, yes?"
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Mysticsage

Thalia Village
Day 2 - Earlier

Taiga grimaced as he looked at the anvil, but only warmed up his body. "You are lucky I love you Eydis, and that I consider this kind of thing training!" Grunted Taiga as he made sure to lift with his knees, and with more ease, than even he imagined, the solid block of metal was off the ground as he had to take a step back to compensate the amount of power he put behind the lift. 

The anvil was far from light, and he doubted he would be able to stay on his feet for long, but that said he could probably try to balance this thing on his shoulder if he wanted. "This thing must be lighter than I expected," Taiga covered a bit of red at the checks as he quickly moved to place the thing in the cart a fair distance away. He did his best to keep in steady with both hands as he laid it in the cart.

"Have anything else you need to bring along, sis? Aside from the entire building. I've got you covered."

Thalia Village
Day 2 - Present

"I know about some of the dangers of the road but nothing specific. The adventurers that pass through never give clear specifics."
Taiga said walking up to look at the map.

"As for where we want to make a base with a large portion of the town following we'll want something sizeable. Even if we need to get a smaller place in the interim it will still need a good portion of space. That is unless you are willing to rent out workshop space with one of the locals and share your profits." Taiga said giving a toothy grin.

pringerbeam

"Well I was thinking we could go and just murder some small time familia and live in their house."  Interjected Yuki with a malicious smile before heading off any response.  "Kidding!  Kidding.  You are too serious.  What was it our goddess says?  Life's a comedy?  Or was it that the best punchlines are unexpected?  Either way we just go to the city, having a grand and spontaneous adventure on the way, and get the biggest plot of land we can.  We can build our own mansion on top of it.  Much cheaper than trying to buy one to start I would think."

[info] Changed color for readability[/info]

Throndir

[info]Mimsy's Intelligence on Rakia
You know just the same amount of common knowledge as there is to Rakia. Rakia is a nation run by one of the gods, Ares. People there are relatively unfriendly. Though the country sits just across the Altora river, most merchants and travelers going through it always say how the people are 'stiff'.[/info]
With the loading of the wagon completed, there was just enough space for everyone to cram on board. Thankfully Sotu's small size offset Taiga's large frame, otherwise it would have meant people sitting on top of each other. Two people would be able to squeeze up front, taking care of the two horses that were ready to start heading off. While the other three could fit between the various crates and boxes in the back.

The wagon itself was nothing too amazing, made from local wood, without any special furnishings, it was made more for usability than looking pretty. It had a leather canopy, being able to protect its contents from the weather. There wasn't too much room otherwise, though there was space for just a single person to lie down if they needed.

The various crates contained supplies that the rest of the villagers had brought in for the group, or that the vanguard group themselves had brought.

Throndir

Thalia Village
Day 2 - Present

"Waaaaaait!" A voice called out. It was the goddess. She waved cheerily as she proceeded to continue jogging towards the group. In her hands looked to be a large bag. The wind blew through her hair, while her clothes, ponytails, and assets bobbed up and down as she closed the distance.

When she finally arrived, she paused for a moment to consider each of the people in the group, her eyes soft as she smiled.

"Hehehe! I'm glad you guys didn't go out yet. It's super early and I just kinda woke up! Anyways, I was planning to get everyone some stuff that's just been gathering dust. I don't have enough for everyone, so you have to share! Got that Yuki?" She said giggling as she glanced at the ninja.

With that she turned her head to look at the largest man in the group. Without another word, tossed the bag towards Taiga.

"C'mon, open it!"

Mysticsage

"Thalia-sama you didn't have to do this," Taiga smiled as caught the bag and opened it to see what was inside.

Throndir

Thalia Village
Day 2 - Present

Inside were a couple of items. Some flasks with various-colored liquids, along with what looked like a pink-bladed dagger.

"I won't be able to update your falna when you're out there... So it'll at least be two weeks until I'm able to. This is kind of a way to make it even! Anyways, those flasks are a couple decades old... But they should still be good, I think. The dagger is a magic weapon one of the first members of our familia gave me some hundred years ago."

[spoiler=Items]Decide amongst yourself who gets the items and in what quantities. Update your own inventory sheets into where you're putting them (Eg, if placing in your belt pouch, update the belt pouch sheet).

• Healing Potion Rank D (heals hp 1d10+5)
  • Healing Potion Rank G (heals hp 1d4+2)
  • Healing Potion Rank G (heals hp 1d4+2)
  • Magic Potion Rank G (restores mp 1d4+2)
  • Magic Potion Rank G (restores mp 1d4+2)
  • Potion of Bull's Strength
  • Potion of Cat's Grace (Utility)
  • Thalia Dagger, rank I, item level 3, spell: ranged touch attack on 1 creature within 25 ft., 6d6 fire damage.
Quote from: Offensive Magic Weapon rulesOffensive magical weapons that deal damage akin to a wand or staff in Pathfinder, are powerful but can break down randomly. Whenever a magical weapon's offensive abilities are used, the weapon could break depending on a d20 roll, on a natural roll between 1 to 4, the weapon turns to ash. Even if the weapon breaks, the stored spell is still triggered. A successful Use Magic Device check, with a DC equal to 15 + Item Level will prevent the magical weapon from being destroyed, however, will increase the chance of failure to 1-5. This goes up again for each attempted save. A roll of 1 will always be destroyed with no chance of saving it.

The offensive spell of the magical weapon need not be used, and can be swung as a normal weapon without risk of breaking it.

Unlike regular magical weapons in Pathfinder, magical weapons with an offensive spell property need not require a minimum +1 enhancement bonus.

Item Rank| Pathfinder Item Level| Max MP Cost of 'Spell'
H
1-2
I
3-4
F
5-6
G
7-8
D
9-10
E
1-12
B
13-14
C
15-16
S
17-18
A
19-20
[/spoiler]

pringerbeam

"Ooooooh..."  Murmured Yuki as she took one of the vials, uncorking it to take a whiff of the liquid.  "Doesn't smell off."  She remarked as she replaced the cork and pocketing the vial away.  "Who wants the dagger?"  She asked, looking at the other members of the party with an arched eyebrow.

Mysticsage

"If it's okay, I'll take one of the smaller vials and let the rest of you fight over the knife. I don't have much talent for magic items, and would rather not break it," Taiga smiled as he removed one of the smaller vials and then handed the bag to the others.

[info]asking for one of the healing potion Gs[/info]

Throndir

[info]Continue to Chapter 2: Rakian Borders[/info]

[spoiler=OODM]Continue RPing this thread for deciding the items though, and/or any other actions. I'll wrap it up with a post from Thalia at the end.[/spoiler]