[Amelia] Chapter 15: An Audience with the Duke

Started by Throndir, July 24, 2019, 03:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

Fulbert began to explain that the hero was indeed not in a good condition at all. Ever since she had come into the world at a near-death state, she had been kept a close eye on for the past two weeks. If not for the hero's blessing, it would have been difficult to even start communication. After that, Fulbert began to explain the purpose of the meeting. Simply put, it was for the peace of the country, both the Felencorp and Bürsteig. Postponing the meeting again would not only bring more tension between the two nation states, but also slow down the efforts with the war against the demons. All in all, Fulbert's initial lies and request for partnership was absolutely believable to your ears.

The duke frowned, but eventually nodded, though, you could tell he was not happy about the situation at all.

There was a moment that it seemed like the duke could explode at any time, but he eventually took a deep breathe.

"Very well. This meeting can continue without the presence of the hero. Though, I will make sure to report this next slight to the rest of the council. Now... Your own questions can wait. But the first subject at hand, and arguably the most important... When is the hero of Mendernich going to be transferred into the care of the Felencorp? We have the best doctors, surgeons, with gathered knowledge from hundreds of other settlements, villages, and cities that have made it's way through the Shifting. Not only that, given our military strength, we are the best to know where to deploy specific heroes with the war against the demons. I have received news that the Valkyrie of Hierdsvain have since fallen perhaps a tenday ago. Whilst the neighboring Lausettaure kingdom of the elves are soon to collapse from the demon pressure of the west. Not to mention our own southern borders which are already being stretched thin. I've received orders that the Felencorp will begin conscription again, for both adventurers and citizens of Bürsteig. Need I remind you about the sum of reparations that you owe the Felencorp?"

Mysticsage

Amelia gives Fulbert a moment to begin taking notes of the meeting before responding. This was the begging of a real battle like one of the judo tournaments that she used to participate in. Matches like this could be won or lost before the game even began. All she had to do was focus on her verbal footwork. Make sure that her first grab had a strong base one bad word and the world would be turning upside down."This topic actually goes hand in hand with a number of my lady's questions. To be honest with you, my lady does not wish to leave for your country, as she was not asked to be summoned and does not value being treated as a debt to be traded around, in her words, like a beast to be carved up for pieces of meat. The meeting of the churches only cemented these views. That being said, she understands her current position and the position of the world at the moment makes certain demands that she must compromise for.

To that end, she is more than willing to work with your nation as a partner versus a slave. She believes that she could provide remaining a part of Bursteg a means to create a neutral ground where all the nations may meet and organize a collective resistance against the real threat the demons pose. Because the meeting of the churches showed that even more than our own current tensions nations like Baolong have to much pride to come to the table with felencorp in a position of power.

That being said Bursteg holds now such national threat, they may belittle us, but they came to the table and were willing to bend as long as their ego was flattered. Given your nation's current standing, you cannot afford to lose face and show weakness to those other nations who might see such an act as an invitation for invasion. Bursteg, with it's current standing backed by a hero has protection from those kinds of fears. They can threaten us while also making sure actual work gets done. 

One hero is good in the war but will not turn the tide. With her helping organize behind the scenes and providing other kinds of assistance things may actually change. There is a saying she used, that sometimes you must divide to conquer, if I am saying that right,"
Amelia paused for a moment to catch her breath, and so that Fulbert could catch up with his notes. She could feel the sweat at the back of her neck, her heart was beating in her throat as she talked as heard the beat in her ears. She needed to have a strong grip here. One good hit and the momentum could maybe work in her favor. If she didin't vomet from the stress before this meeting was over.

"So in direct response to your question, for the sake of the record being clear. The Hero of Bursteg would like to have a permanent residence in Mendernich for the foreseeable future.

In return, she will act as a proxy to help organize the rest of the world who would otherwise be suspicious of felencorp for the sake of stopping the war. This includes all results of research for solutions and defenses against the demons. Research, which the hero has already begun and wishes to have your personal input in considering you have been more to her liking compared to the others. This research if accomplished should at a minimum allow for the contacting of the peoples and city you have lost in the Shifting,"
she paused letting that sink in.

She understands you had to also put capital into the nation and the summoning ritual and is willing to talk additional economic reimbursement as is agreed upon here or at a later date. Please understand, my lady is making a personal request with this, but she wishes for you to understand her position as a person first rather than just a hero. She would not be willing to drag Bursteg into a war or split your forces when you have better things to focus on. Is there any way that her request can be considered?"[/color] She said finally holding her breath. Sharp bile hiding at the back of her throat which she quickly forced down as she waited for the inevitable drop curious as to who would be hitting the mat first.  Her mind flashed back to the moment that she could have been named queen. Then she quickly shaked it off, no this was the correct answer. Even if this resulted in war at least peace had been attempted versus the alternative while safer would have without a doubt eventually started a war. The only people who would have benefited were the real threats in the world and they could not afford to waste a single man.

While she waited for him to speak Amelia silently prayed to the goddess of light that they might find the path to cooperation and see the light of reason. "Please, don't make more people shed blood because I am weak These people all of them have suffered so greatly we cannot afford to throw it all away now."

[info]I imagine this agreement would take the form of a diplomatic edict most likely an addendum to the existing treaty assuming one exists.

Let me know if I need to roll something for the proposal or prayer. [/info]

Throndir

QuoteRoll Diplomacy for Make Request. I'll let only one of the two NPCs with you do an Aid Another, as the other would be stating similar things (the king). So only Fulbert will be giving you a +2 for this next attempt.

Mysticsage

[info]Diplomacy Make Request
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+10 : 4 + 10, total 14[/blockquote][/info]

Throndir

"Absolutely not. The deal the Felencorp had with the country of Bürsteig was that we, the Felencorp, were to provide protection, in exchange for reparations, manpower, and the hero summoned from the Mendernich ritual! The resources of Bürsteig can hardly equate to the combined wealth and resources the Felencorp has, and if this country truly did care about the war, then this country will hand the hero to us. Not to mention the Mendernich hero's research of the demons is something our own scholars have already been pouring through for the last century!"

The duke announced.

"When word came out that this country had announced the eventual succession of the throne to their summoned hero, was that not a simple ploy to hold on to their hero, their final 'bargaining chip' in this war?" At this accusation the king frowned. Some of the royal guards were tense as well. You noticed Nyx's eyes glaring towards the duke, as he continued to hide away from sight. "No! You tarnish the honor of your own country by going against the original treaty between our two countries! This is a farce! This kingdom knows it."

"Duke Hallam! That is enough!" King Richmond bellowed. "Your own accusations of this country is a slight to the royal family itself. You are a guest in our castle." The king glared at the duke, with the duke facing off. Neither side seemed to be giving way until Fulbert spoke.

"Now now... How about a compromise?"

"Grand Diplomat, tell me, what kind of compromise would work for this situation? The hero is an important asset to this war, one that the Felencorp would not so easily give away."

"It remains that the hero of Mendernich will become our country's new queen. And it will not be acceptable for the country of Bürsteig to have our queen simply be an 'asset' to your own country. No, she is our ruler, a divine right given to her by the goddesses themselves. Surely, you know the importance of such. However, it remains as well that we have... agreed... in the past to summon the hero for the sake of the war, and for the Felencorp's demands..."

"I propose as such... To honor both sides, our country, along with yours. Is first a report shall be given to the king and of course our hero on what the Felencorp plans to do with the hero. If that is deemed acceptable, we'll send our summoned hero, not as Felencorp's subjects, but as a queen and delegate of our kingdom of Bürsteig."

Mysticsage

Amelia sighed, "This idea of a report she finds acceptable at least as a start." Fully understanding her request had fallen on death ears. She had a feeling that it would never go as easily as she had hoped. She had hoped there could be some kind of back and forth some compromise on both sides that would mean everyone could focus on the real threats. But now the bile in the back of her throat had turned into fire. She wanted to punch the duke in his stupid face in that moment, but doing that would ruin everything she had worked on. But as she stood hands shaking fire in her eye she knew she had to stand up so the people in the room didn't go overboard.

Standing and walking to the side of the table to block Nyx and the guards as she held out a hand to calm them.

"That being said, I have been told to inform you, for the sake of the record, that The Hero values personhood. She has no ties to this nation besides those she makes of her own free will. She is not Mendritch's hero or even a 'hero' at all. She wishes to inform you that she is simply flesh and blood prone to anger and insult as much as anyone. Duke Hallam, during our entire two days of meeting you have refused to call her anything other than 'The Hero' your refusal to recognize a living person by even using the proper pronouns has not gone unnoticed."

"Any treaty made without her understanding or her consent as far as her own actions could be considered by the courts of the world as kidnapping and forced labor if not prostitution. Regardless of the circumstances, "SHE" will do what she feels is right and refuses to be treated as one would treat a second-hand sword. My lady was dragged her by forces unknown and instead of finding a way to run when she is able she is willing to take up the mantles thrust upon her for the sake of the innocence who did not have a say in the matter of who was summoned."

"As a result, she will do things in her own way and no one will be able to make her heel," Amelia said. "And because of that belief, she will read any report you deliver and judge it fairly without her own bias for the sake of keeping what relations we have. She also refuses to be insulted and respond without course. So she says, "call me a whore or whatever name you like I refuse to rise to anger more than I already have. If such names or titles like the hero give you comfort you can use it as you please. I promise you it will not stop or affect me from coming to the table,"
Amelia used what little control she had to not question why if they've had so long to fight the demons they've made almost no progress. She didn't scream or glare at the duke. She had stood firm like a moving wall for the sake of the others so that they could all calm down.

She stood looking down on him like a teacher would a willful student and when she was done she purposefully showed the duke her back as she gave the others a warm smile that said everything was alright before taking her seat again calmly. " She wishes to know how long would it take for you to produce this report? Assuming such a report is allowed to be made on your end. Even if that is unacceptable she is willing to talk for as long as it takes until this room reaches an understanding. Hurt feelings will heal it is important that we do not lose sight of the bigger picture."

she paused, "that last part was from me."

[info] I want to make a roll that is showing amelia has a backbone and will not be used as a door mat. I would like it to be an attitude to adjust diplomacy both for the duke and to calm the king and nyx

This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 1d20+10 : 9 + 10, total 19

[/info]

Throndir

"Do not deign to lecture me on the proper way to address the hero! In all my dealings thus far, I have not even been told of the hero's name! How dare you accuse me of protocol, when the same isn't even done on the side of this country. Then perhaps now all this mystery with the hero shall be resolved? Tell me! Where is she? What's her name? How much training has she done? And is she even prepared for war?"

"Still, I find it still absolutely preposterous that the hero of Mendernich is unwilling to even show her face. The report will be given to you in a week's time. After that, the hero will accompany us back to the Felencorp. If you are demanding the hero to remain here in this country, then by right, the Felencorp will demand half of the remaining territory of your country to be solely governed and annexed as part of the Felencorp. This audience is done."

With that, the duke stood up abruptly, and began to head straight out of the room.

QuoteIf you plan to say anything or stop him, state so, otherwise I'll continue the scene right after.

Mysticsage

Before he gets a chance to fully leave the table Amelia looks down all things considered they had given her some breathing room and a scope of the price that the hero was worth to them in some roundabout way. While not exactly what she wanted she understood the cost of giving as much as he had.

"Duke Hallam, we cannot discuss the hero's specific location for reasons we have all agreed on before. However, for allowing what compromises you have today I can answer most of your other questions.

the hero is a woman no older than myself. She asked for an attendant specifically of her own age for the sake of modesty."

"She has some physical training from what she has told me from her old world, but that was more of a sport for self-defense rather than actual combat.

Nothing like demons seem to exist in her homeland, or at least so she claims.

Given her current situation, she is preparing to defend herself through none physical means, which includes the studying of magics. Otherwise, she is doing a great deal of religious research in order to find a means of slowing the encroachment of the demon threat if not stop it entirely."

"As for a name, it seems name in her homeworld have, a rumored, unique power over the people and she does not wish for a demonic power or otherwise be able to use it against her in this world.

She is comfortable with you calling her Iris. She wishes to say thank you for willing to come this far despite your station. "

"She offers the cities resources as additional thanks for yourself or any of your injured men,"
Amelia said finally. "She wishes to say on a personal note she is truely glad you were not injured and that hopefully in the future there will be a time when you both may be open and friendly with one another."

"I hope for that as well sir," she said putting on the face of a servant again.

[info]let me know if i need to roll something for this.[/info]

Throndir

Before leaving, Duke Hallam paused at the door.

"We will not tarry. while the hero Iris is wasting her talents and gifts from the goddesses here, a war is being fought. My men and I are to make a tour to the southwest, nearer the borders of the Bashkassia Federation. In two weeks time I will be back, and by then, I expect the hero Iris to come with me to the Felencorp to receive proper training and triage of her abilities. You'll get your report in a week." With that the duke left the room with his knights.

Mysticsage

Amelia waited a few moments before breathing a sigh of relief, "Well all things considered that could have gone much worse."

"Fulbert, can you do me a favor and set up a time for the Bashkassia religious representative to come to the castle at the earliest convenience, before they leave, for tea. The Hero wishes to say her goodbyes properly."
Amelia said with a smile touching her ear to continue to play along in case of those who are listening were not friendly.

"I have several errands to run for the rest of the day, thank you on behalf of the good lady for your work."

Once amelia was done with anything that needed finishing tending for the record Amelia will leave and look to meet up with Nyx.

Once she finds him she ducks into a shadowed corner and opens up the mental link, "Are you feeling better Nyx? I'm gonna need you to train hard the next few weeks and get as strong as possible to make sure these guys don't get handsy. That means training with Kurt and the others as well as me when you have the time to get us more in sync. I don't want you to lose to them.

"Would you rather explore the sewers or go out with the guild"

Throndir

Fulbert nodded. "Of course... I believe this is her last day here as well. They planned to leave in the morning... I'll send a courier to let her know to come to the castle by... noon?"

"Yes... I've healed myself since this morning. And I agree... I've been going into the sewers nightly, though, there is nothing but large rats. I was considering hunting out in the forests, or trying out the Cave of Goblins again. As for training with Kurt, he's been showing me how to flash-step since we first discussed it." Nyx responded.

Mysticsage

"I have to meet with the Isikawan Delegate later in the afternoon so that should work fine." Amelia smiled

Amelia nodded, "Feel free to go hanging the guildhall too, to find good places to train, but at least talk to someone before you leave the city and if you go to someplace really dangerous I would prefer you went with a group at least until I can get you some additional equipment. Feel free to take anyone in the castle now with you. I trust your judgment, and if you find anything cool brings it back for me to study."

"I'm also going to see if I can get you some weapons to augment your natural weapons. And always be prepared to run if things look dicey. Stick to the shadows where you have the advantage."

Throndir

And how do you feel about me talking? I've been quiet for the most part... But if I were to find a group of other adventurers to venture around the area, then more rumors would spread... Unless that is your goal. I'm already a familiar sight and an oddity to a lot of the people here... Especially after the meeting with the churches when it became known I was a familiar of the hero.

Mysticsage

"Also before I forget Fulbert get in contact with the elves and the remaining valkyrie and talk about the need help with refugees. I noticed the elves did not send a delegate and I know the hero would like to get to know them better."

"I think it would be fine for you to talk as long as you stay vigilant for any cat burglers and avoid using my name as the hero. Honestly, you should maybe get your own guild card but ask for Ilyaveere specifically. I trust her,"

Throndir

"Do you mean the Lassetaure elves? Much like the Valkyrie... The elves have no High Priest to speak of... They chose not to participate in the meeting due to having enough problems of their own. We can request them to send a delegate over, though it may take time for one to arrive, if they even accept. The Antwarch Dragonknight kingdom are doing their best to aid the elves, but it may not be long until they fall as well."

I'll check with Ilyaveere. As far as I know, I'm not yet linked with 'Suzaku', but didn't you go to the guild a few days ago to try to get me registered? How did that go?