[Diane] Chapter 3: The Road to New Binmoor

Started by Throndir, July 05, 2019, 06:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anima mea

Taking Kenver's hand in her own for a moment or two, she squeezes it and the releases it.  Skilimg at them, "It was come here or stay in the afterlife and just watch my memories go by
  I have never been one to be content with peace and quiet eternal.  I need to have problems and work.  It's my curse."
  Turning to Hunt she shrugs, "Women go through it once a month in my world.  It gets rid of stuff in our bodies and prepares it for the next month's potential chance to have children.   We just happen to be in pain and get very moody during it, very irrational sweet boy.  I will try to go easy on you." 

Turning to Kenver again, Diane smiles, I suppose it will have to do
  I will go check with Kayden and if not I will drop by the Baker and see if he had some work I can trade for some cookies or small sweets.  I really need to take stock of my possession before I make promises. I apologize again.  However, I won't make progress if I don't get started."[/b]  Walking over to Maban she kisses his left cheek, "Thank you for breakfast, both of you.   And Hunt please help our hosts with packing up anything they might need those strong muscles of your's for.  I know it isn't a big responsibility, but in my family we earn our responsibilities and privileges with hard work and a good work ethic.  That's what I expect out of you.   It is what is expected out of me in my family.  Snd as I am your big sister that means what's expected of family applies to you."

She misses his hair and heads off for the stables he body language confident and very much business-like. Squaring her shoulders off and tilting her chin up slightly she mimics what she saw her mother do when approaching new suppliers for her Grampy's garage.

As she approaches Kayden she nods to the woman, Kayden, I hope you slept well.  I have a minor bit of business to attend to before we head out and that means I need to try to find clotted cream in our supplies, if we have any, to keep a promise
  If you would be so kind as to point me in the direction I need to go, I will sign it out and handle things, while doing my best to stay out of your way.  Please and thank you. "

Without missing beat she grins, " I have been giving it some thought as to a weapon to train with and armor if you gave a moment.  If not we can discuss it at your leisure."

Throndir

"Well, I'm glad..." Kenver said. "Eternal peace with just your memories doesn't sound too nice. Perhaps to some it might... But I don't think that's for me."

As for Hunt, when you explained what a cycle was, he listened carefully. "Oh... it's like when you're in a bad mood then!" Hunt said in his usual cheery voice. Maban and Kenver frowned though. Maban kneeled down slightly to be eye-level with the boy and patted him on his head.

"'Kay-Kay' never taught you this then, did she?" Maban said laughing. "I understand that you are aristocracy in your homeland, Hunt, taken in as a squire at an early age with your teaching and learning handled by Kayden. I suppose you wouldn't know of such things, and to someone like Kayden, trying to be a knight in a field that's generally run by men, it's probably not something she had taught you either. Well, maybe some other time I can teach you all those other matters.... Those of the opposite sex." Maban said.

Hunt looked awkwardly at Maban for a second. "Umm... okay Mr. Angwin..." The squire managed to finally say.

Maban blushed slightly when you kissed him on the cheek. As for Hunt, the boy saluted towards you. "Yes big sis!" He said as he relaxed his salute a moment later and instead smiled brightly at you. "I will have both Mr. Angwins give me something to do!"

Location: New World - Chynance Village - Hero's Home - Stable
Date: Day 1 - 5:45 AM

The stables themselves weren't part of the main building of the hero's home. Getting instructions from the Angwin brothers, they told you it was a simple building nearer the entrance to the estate. As you recall, there had been such a building before on your way in the first time, so it was there that you made your way towards to. Once you were there, you noticed a gathering of armored men with horses, along with a couple of wagons that were already prepped and ready. Most of the men there must have recognized you, as each of them saluted in your direction. Altogether, there were 20 knights, including Kayden, who you saw tending to one of the horses.

When you approached, she too saluted. She seemed to tense up slightly at first, but relaxed a bit when you grinned.

"The food supplies from the mayors... Yes, I can show you that." Kayden said as she started to move forward to one of the wagons, beckoning you forward. Eventually, she made it to one of the crates on the wagon, and opened it up. Inside were various food stuffs, most of it was kept in jars, but some were in small boxes. Each of them were labeled. Kayden started to pull the small boxes out one by one, reading the labels, but eventually came to one that she opened. "The written language of the Chynance people is actually similar to Felothian." Kayden said. "Some of it is strange though... like this 'clotted cream'. Typically there are connotations related with blood to the word they use, but yet to them, it's more used to describe this sweet cream native to their home world." She eventually pulled it out, and inside looked to be a variety of small jars surrounded by ice. You can clearly see the labeling on each of them as 'Sweet clotted cream'.

"As for the weapon and armor... We brought a couple last night, but due to the... circumstances... we moved them back to one of the wagons. Either way, if we're going out on the road, I'd like to fit you with some basic armor at least. There are various slaver groups going around that we knights simply don't have the manpower to quell due to the war, and the Shifting brings as many new types of monsters and threats as it does with new villages and people like Chynance. What weapon would you like to learn? As for armor, starting you off with something light is probably best until you get used to it."

Anima mea

Seeing the knights salute Diane gives them the best salute from her home world's military.  Saluting Kayden in turn leaves her a little weary of it, but her mind analyzed it and told her to get used to it.  When they went through food stuffs she watches and tries to read some of the labels, but doesn't expect much in the way of progress dor now.  When the syntax issue between cultures comes up about the cream she smiles, "There are always expected differences in language syntax when two cultures meets.  For instance English the language I speak is set up very linearly l, whereas, Spanish another language from my world is not, in fact a few are not.  So even if you know both languages there may be syntax issues.  The same can be said with Spanish's conjugations of words to signify different things, although English can have one word with two different meanings and pronunciations.  So we have a very difficult language to learn."

She closes her mouth and shakes her head, "I am sorry, I prattled on about something you no doubt were not interested in in the first place.  As for a weapon I would like to learn the rapier and dagger ad a pairing, as well as learning a shortsword to replace the rapier when needed.  Eventually I would like to learn as many weapons as possible, as well as, how to utilize as many types of armor as I can learn.  If I am going to be on the battlefield I will need all of us to work together to learn how each of us operates and our weaknesses.  I am having the brothers Angwin teaching me the magical side of being a battlemage and I would like you to teach me the martial side.  And once I am good enough to not lop my limbs off and practice with real soldiers and knights, I would like ipoh to help me turn the Angwin twins into battlemages as well.  I don't know if Hunt will choose to follow suit, but I want him to get as much of the same training I am so I can make sure he gets back home."

Shaking her head, "I want all of us to get home, even your brave knights.   Especially them. So please help me achieve my goals and maybe we can send the world back home to peace time.  Also, I will have the talk with him if you don't, but Hunt needs to know about women and men and their differences."

Throndir

Location: New World - Chynance Village - Hero's Home - Stable
Date: Day 1 - 5:45 AM

"Have the Angwin brothers worked with you for your blessings? I am tasked to teach you the basics of martial combat, however, what differentiates you the most are your blessings from the goddess." Kayden explained as she began to rummage around another pile of equipment in the wagon. Eventually she managed to bring out what looked to be a set of leather armor. It had the same insignia that the rest of the knights had on them. "Whenever we have time letting our horses rest, we can go over training with weaponry. But your first training is learning how to move around in this without it affecting your day-to-day activities. For those not used to it, it can be cumbersome." With that, she handed you the leather armor. "If you stay here for a minute, I can measure what I need, and be able to start fitting the other armors to around that size. Though, for the heavier armors, if you plan to use them, we'll need to have a dedicated smith to tweak those."

"As for teaching Hunt the differences between men and women..." She paused, she looked uncomfortable with the subject. "You may do as you will, the young man still needs to learn many things, but he is making good progress."

Anima mea

Taking the leather armor and trying her absolute best to get into it without mucking it up was a catastrophe at best.  Although, Diane does her best to take it off and try again, her concentration fully on how best to learn to put it on.  Once she thinks she has it on correctly, this was sadly wrong in thought process, she looks to Kayden, "I think I have it right."  As for my blessings I actually know more about my blessings from experimenting with them than anything.  Not that I have given the Angwin twins time to work with me.  I have reshape things as you saw last night with my dagger.  And I can upgrade things into better versions of things or different things entirely.  The kitchen stove being changed into a steam engine for instance.  I have tried a few things with magic the failed aura, the flame aura, the ability to douse that aura, the flame sword weapon aura and well the ice claws earlier.  I am not sure what direction to tell them to work with me because if I spent time and resources on just upgrade and reshape I could improve life for this village first and then the Felencorp Alliance thereafter.  I could make motorized transportation for men and materials easier.  I could give you electricity from the waters of rivers."[/b]

Throndir

"I see..." Kayden said thoughtfully as she examined your handiwork with the leather armor. She went around tightening a few places with the straps that were provided for it, making it a snug fit. You realize it was a bit too large for you, seemingly designed for bigger and taller men, but it fit well enough. Kayden began to go through the wagon again, pulling out what looked to be a string, and began to use it as a makeshift measuring tool as she went about taking your measurements. Finally she spoke.

"How about for war? The blessings you described are... well... they're not the kinds that seem to have any use in the battlefield. You're sure your blessings are as such? If that is the case, I'm not sure if the kingdom would approve you being sent to the front lines so soon."

Anima mea

Diane looks at Kayden and shakes her head, "I thin it will make us a tighter group.  Honestly,  I would rather have time to work on infrastructure, however, I think combat would solidify us into a tight knit group." 

Placing her hand on the leather armor she pictures it fitting properly, snug enough to fit properly, but loose enough to allow proper movement.   "Reshape."  Once it finishes reshaping, she smiles, "I don't know if that helped or hurt, but at least it likely fits better."  Taking up the clotted cream she looks at Kayden, "I know you don't want to hear this, but I am not a Felencorp hero, I am a Chynancian hero.  More importantly, I am a person and at this point that puts my agenda of ending this war and making sure we survive at the top of my list, regardless of anyone else's wishes.  Also, I am debating on whether or not Hunt might be safer if he stuck with you.   However, he has taken a liking to me and as such I can't imagine he will want to stay somewhere safe. "

Throndir

Kayden watched in silence as you used your reshaping ability to have your armor form cozily around you. The entire process would have taken a minute, but that didn't stop Kayden from staring.

"It is commendable that value making this group tighter." Kayden began, you can see from her face that she was thinking about what to say. "However, what is best for the people of this world takes paramount. Whether you are the Chynancian hero or the Felencorp one, you are part of this world. The village of Chynance too, though the mayors resist, are part of the Felencorp alliance. To help the people of this world; this is why I chose to became a knight. I don't know where you would be most useful in terms of the war against the demons, but that is part of what the Chynance mayors should be doing. To help figure out your blessings, and from there it is up to this alliance to figure out where you are best suited. That said, any individual who can learn quick, and have show magical aptitude as you have done, would be beneficial to the war, but the question one must always ask is if it's the most beneficial."

"As for Hunt, he's the squire assigned to you, to help you with any of your needs. You may relinquish him if you so choose, but in that case, my commanders would probably ask me to find another squire for you. For the time being, I am assigned to you as well, and so is the rest of these knights with me. Though if battle calls us, and if the need arises, this group can be sent elsewhere... But not so for Hunt, as he himself is still in training and not yet fit for war."

Anima mea

Diane listens thoughtfully, weighing the words that were being spoken to her.  Shaking her head, "I would rather you not threaten the young life of a squire with having them assigned to me, however, if I must, then it will be Hunt."  Moving around and twisting in the armor to make sure she didn't need to reshape it again, she nods, finding it to her satisfaction.  Turning again to Kayden, "I want these demons stopped much as anyone in this world.  As for where I fit, we can figure that out as the twins research and I use my abilities more.  At this point, I've decided that the front is where we should be to get the battle experience that I need to round out my abilities to defend myself and others."

Shaking her head, she looks Kayden directly in the eyes, "Why are you so uncomfortable with explaining the difference about men and women to Hunt?  I mean, it is not the easiest subject overall, but as the commander of the unit he's attached to and honestly, as the only female I've seen other than myself and the villagers.  I will do it, no issue there, just wondering why you wouldn't."

Throndir

QuoteYou can attempt to roll a Diplomacy to get more forthcoming information form her. Otherwise I usually have NPCs react by their Relationship score with the player.

Kayden shook her head. "In this time of war, only Hunt's abilities as a soldier and knight who can follow orders takes paramount over other more mundane matters such as those you speak of. Any knowledge that won't let him be re ready for war, isn't knowledge that I see as my duty to teach him." Kayden responded evenly, glancing at you as you looked at her directly in the eyes, but quickly breaking it off to keep searching in the wagon. Eventually she pulled out a long and slender weapon, which you recognized as a rapier. Hilt up, she handed it over to you.

Anima mea

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20-1 : 15 - 1, total 14[/blockquote] diplomacy check

Anima mea

Diane looks at Kayden as she takes the rapier and steps back, taking care to turn and lifts it in her right hand,  the blade facing out.  Doing a few thrusts she rapier forward a time or two.  Returning the rapier to the scabbard, she looks.for a way to attach the rapier to her waist or at least her armor.  "I think perhaps you are holding a bit back from me.  Will you please level with me?  I know so little of this world and I want to trust the people around me, but if you are holding back on me, that will certainly make my decisions harder.  However, I won't press you, but when it comes down to it, I will need to feel like you aren't holding back on me.  And I will need you to trust me."

Throndir

Kayden looked uncomfortable at first when you asked, but rather than responding immediately she seemed to think about the question as she reached out for what looked to be two more weapons in the wagon; a dagger and a shortsword. She also pulled out what looked to be a couple of belts, which you quickly recognized as scabbards. The scabbard she gave you had three slots, one for each weapon.

Handing it to you, and looking straight back at you, she let out a small sigh then answered. "In my country, the Felencorp United Alliance, which had been called Felothia many decades ago, women are generally treated... more as trophies. I mentioned to you before that my grandparents had come from a different world, and apparently ever since the Shifting had brought more and more people to this world, and the fact that the Felencorp needed all the help they could get, it's given some opportunities for women to fill these rolls... as knights, and not just a wife expected to bring forth the next generation of soldiers. When I first joined the militia, and had been drafted as a soldier, not even my commander then knew that I was a woman. With how the war was faring, they simply needed as much help as they could get. I proved my worth back then, saving the commander's life, and after I had been found out to be a woman, instead of being sent back home, I had been knighted. I was as surprised as I was elated of course. Though, I was later told that my knighting had more to do with politics of bringing in other small countries, or lone villages like Chynance into the fold. At the same time, I haven't been given many postings at the front anymore either. Instead, me and these men under my command tend to matters that are here in the homeland, with my last posting being assigned to you as a representative of the alliance."

Anima mea

Listening carefully as she buckles the belt on.  She then slides each weapon into their respective scabbards, taking great care to look Kayden's face over as she finishes.  Shaking her head, "I think I get it, after a fashion, the women in my world got that fight done with decades ago."

Sighing softly she places her right hand on Kayden's left shoulder and then pats it gently.  Looking at the container of clotted cream she shakes her head, "I honestly think you and the Angwin twins will be able to do much good together if given the right support to hold you together. "

Throndir

Kayden nodded, and you noticed a smile, albeit briefly. "The Angwin twins are resistant. Most of them are. They've only been here for a few months at most. Everyone who wasn't in their village when the Shifting took them here, are lost to them... likely forever, as thus far, we've found no way back to our original worlds and home. They unfortunately have come into a world where we are pressed on all sides by demons from the north, the east, the south, and west. Resources have dwindled greatly, and as unfortunate as it is for me to say, our only source of new soldiers, new heroes, and new magic and skills to fight against the demons have been from the people being shifted into this world. True, it is not their battle. But the moment they came into this world, and if they choose the side of humanity, then it becomes their battle. However, on their side, likely they do not see it as this, or even if they do, they only begrudgingly agree. There is the fact too that the hero rituals of any one country are usually kept under a tight leash, with only a privileged few, primarily court mages, or priests have the knowledge of those rites."

"Hero Diane... The reason why I will not falter in the face of two brothers is that I've seen the horrors of the front lines. I've seen newly shifted villages appearing at the edges of the human territories. It's as much a battle to bring the humans to flee, or even take up arms, as it is to fight the demons. Make no mistake... We are losing this war. A decade ago was the Idorian Magic Kingdom who failed to take up the correct measures or even abandon their cities in their hubris of magical might. Then it was the Merdeese Republic that fell 5 years ago. After that the Refedorian Kingdom to our far west, who put up a brave fight with the fact they were separated from the rest of the human nations. Most recently the Hierdsvain Valkyrie are down to their last bastion, where once they were a civilization that counted in the millions of individuals."

"Your desire to be on the front lines to help in the war is encouraging... However, you would need a lot more training and levels to be able to... survive safely there, where you can have a large enough of an impact to sway the battles. I have yet to report your decision to move out to the frontlines to my superiors in the capital, however, an alternate course I would suggest is perhaps going through the dungeons that adventurers of the guild prize so highly. Dungeons tend to be predictable, at least, more so than the front lines. They too can spawn monsters inside of them at predictable intervals, and indeed make a good place for one to train."