[Diane] Chapter 3: The Road to New Binmoor

Started by Throndir, July 05, 2019, 06:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

《Chapter 3: The Road to New Binmoor》

Date: Day 2

It was early in the morning when you heard the sounds of chickens greeting the morning sun. Shortly after that, there was a knock at your door. It was Maban's voice. "Good morning Diane. Kenver's quickly preparing some food to eat for all of us. But we've prepped everything last night and are ready to go."

Anima mea

Sitting up in bed, her clothing rumpled and hair is disarray, Diane looks around sleepily reaching up to wipe the sleep away from her eyes.  She throws back the blankets on the bed and gets out of bed.  She begins to look for her boots and for something resembling a bathroom or even a bucket of water.   Deciding to skip washing her face at this point, she smiles sleepily, "Come in Maban, you sweet talker, you.  She heads for the door to let him in before she stops, remembering she didn't lock it.  Then she stops walking and looks around for another moment before he comes in, "You wouldn't happen to know if my work boots are back from the laundry do you?  And the rest of my clothes for that matter?  Or do I need to wash them before we leave?"

Throndir

"Everything is cleaned and ready Diane." Maban replied. "The supplies for the road are set, and I believe the knights have finished their preparation last night as well. There is one more thing, Kenver and I prepared a gift for you. It was something passed down from our ancestors. We were planning to give it to you when you go out on your journey, but since we moved it up to today... well, then this is the best time for it. Kenver had gone to fetch it from our temple this morning, but he should be back when you're done."

With that you heard Maban begin to step away.

Anima mea

"Excellent!  I am missing my boots.  She looks around to see if she could find her clothing.  Upon finding it she changes into the clothes from her world and breathes a sigh of relief, glad to be back in her work clothes. 

This done she decides that it is time to exit the room.  Opening the door and turning back towards the dining room. Stepping as lightly as she can, Diane creeps down the hall and tries to spot Maban or at least some of him.

Throndir

Maban was down on the first floor, he was at the make-shift campfire that Kenver had created the night before as the stove was unusable. He was tending to the simply breakfast that Kenver had started, and had already begun putting some on plates. Hunt was with him as well, eagerly awaiting his own food.

"Hero Diane, you're already dressed and ready then? I'm glad you dress quickly..." Maban said. "Kenver is on his way back. As for Kayden, she's at the stables with our horses and theirs, doing the last minute preparations on the wagon. We have everything we need, but I believe she wanted to take a look at everything before we head out."

"Good morning big sister Diane!" Hunt said as he began to eat happily into the food he was provided.

Anima mea

DIane grins, "I am not a girly girl, I prefer practical clothing, pants, boots, a properly fitting shirt and so on.  So, yes, I dress quickly.  If we can along the way get some clothing and get some properly fitted to my form, that will do wonders for my ability to continue dressing quickly.  That and a bra, I have one from my world and well, I need another.  I may have to design one and use my ability to make another." 

Smiling at Hunt she walks over and kisses him on the forehead, "Good morning Hunt, you look like you slept well.  And you have the appetite of a growing boy.  That's good, I like it when a boy or even a girl eats what is good for them.  Means that will grow up strong.  Just don't eat too much hmm?"  She grins as she musses his hair and looks around the area, "Do you want me to revert the stove back to normal or leave it as a steam engine?  I think I can figure out how to make just about any pile of scrap into one, not that I could do it all at once, but I can probably do a good job overall."

Looking about the area in the day light, her smile diminishes some as she remembers home.  A wistful look crosses her face for a moment or two, turning to hide this from Hunt and Maban, she just let's herself have a moment to miss home and the people she left behind.  Shaking her head, she turns back to the pair of young men and grins, "Ok what do you have for us this morning Maban?  It certainly smells good."

Throndir

Hunt blushed as you kissed him on the forehead. "You should try some too!" He said cheerily.

"Gerens expressed interest in it last night, he had even went around poking at it and trying to make it work." Maban said looking towards the kitchen building about 50 ft. towards the south. "He wasn't too successful, and frankly I don't understand how it works either... As for Kenver, I'm sure he would love to get it fixed, but I suspect he would have tried getting the village blacksmith to forge a new stove for him. Gerens does plan to get some of the villagers to take a look at it later in the day I heard. On that note, I've given him and the neighbors access to the home and our chapel next door. At the very least, if we come back here again, it'll be in a good state."

Maban then began to point at the dishes. "Nothing too big. Kenver begun preparations for this earlier, I simply finished it up. These are our pastries from our world before this one." Maban said as he took one on a plate, and sliced it in half. The pastry was uniquely shaped, and inside of it was filled with a mixture that you assumed to be some sort of meat and other vegetables.

"Beef, rutabagas, onions, and potatoes, wrapped in a crust of flour." Maban explained as the aroma of the broken pastry wafted in the air.

Anima mea

"That sounds like a good way to start the day." She grins and picks up the dumpling looking item and bites into it, chewing as quietly as she can, taking great care to be as lady like as she can.  Swallowing what she's chewed, she grins and looks at Hunt and then Maban, "Maban can you teach me and potentially Hunt how to be a battlemage? A mage who fights with both magic and weapons.  I have a plan going forward, but I will need training and so will Hunt and well, you two as well.  And I will need Kayden to help me refine and advance my knowledge of tactics and help me.to become a battlefield tactician as well.  I also, have decided that if I am going to do what I have in mind I will need to reshape my gear to reflect my intentions to unite the world and end these attacks.  Something angelic maybe."

Throndir

"I'm still kinda training myself..." Hunt said sheepishly, slowing down his eating, and looking towards you timidly. "But I will do my best! I can use a sword...! And Kay-Kay had been teaching me how to fight with armor and a shield on, but that's a bit tough... Kay-Kay's the one who knows most things..."

As for Maban he nodded and bowed his head. "Of course hero Diane! My brother and I were already planning on teaching you magic, along with a few techniques with it. The mages of this world are varied in their knowledge, especially with the fact many of them have come from different worlds themselves... And even if most of our magic comes from the goddess... That is a shared thing that I've heard of, there are still some things that my brother and I can teach you that is unique to us from Chynance."

It was at that moment that Kenver came back. He was carrying what looked to be a small wooden box. When Kenver noticed you with them, he began to grin as he quickened his pace.

"Sorry to butt in at the tail-end of the conversation..." Kenver said still grinning as he closed the distance then opened the box. "I heard something about being angelic?"

Inside the box looked to be two armlets, cushioned with some fabric, and presented neatly.

"This is the treasure of our village." Kenver said proudly. "It's something generations of our family have taken cared of... It has the ability to store mana, and discharge it with the power of the goddess herself." He said handing you the box.

QuoteOODM: Once you actually use it and get an explanation from any of the NPCs, I'll give you the stat block for it (which will summarize what they describe and what you experience using it).

Anima mea

Diane looks down at Hunt again, "You are further along than I am in training, I mean, I've literally just started and the only things I can do are make things change, make things grow, and play with elemental auras and attempt to weaponize sound."

She smirks as an idea pops into her head, she extends her hands out in front of her curling them like claws.  She them speaks a spell she hasn't heard before, "Oh water, that which cools the body and slakes the thirst.  Freeze and become as hard as ice!  Ice Claws!" She visualizes ice forming around her hands like a pair of clawed, gauntlets with sharp edges around the fingertips. 

She finishes this right before Kenver shows back up.  When he speaks up, she turns to him and smiles, the results of her spell apparent one way or another.  "Ooh!  Those look delicate.  I'm a little concerned that they might before on the battlefield.  Also, how much mana can they hold.  A day's worth?  Two? "

Throndir

QuoteAdded Ice Claws to your list of spells It'll be using a Tier 2 spell tier slot (Ice is an elemental fusion of Ice and Air, with a requirement of Tier 2). Note you only will have 5 'free' spell slots available after this, once you fill those up, you'll need to start learning spells the normal way.

Without overcharging the spell, the stats of the Ice Claws are as follows:

Slot: Hand
MP Cost: 6
Base Damage: 1d4 slashing
Crit: x2
Enhancement Bonus: +1
Extra Damage: 1d8 cold

Since it is level 2, you can overcharge this to include up to 6 spell effects, eg the following:

Ice Claws +5, +1d8 cold damage, 10 MP
Ice Claws +1, +5d8 cold damage, 10 MP

Kenver frowned. "Oh no... These are made from orichalcum, though it is thin, this is perhaps the hardest metal in our world. As for how much mana it can hold... according to our records, it can fire off up to 40 low-powered shots. Recharging it... would take about two days worth of mana for an average person."

Anima mea

Looking at the armlets she smiles, "What kind of mana output do you think I have? I mean, could I store mana for a day or two while say in a safe place an then have it hold the mana until needed days or weeks later?  Also the small blasts or one thing, could I use all of the mana in a single blast or a pair of blasts?  Could I draw the mana back out and say use it in that moment?  Lots of questions and answers to find out.  Testing them, would that be sacrilege?"

Throndir

"Maban told me you learned how to bring up your status yesterday... If you bring up that menu, it should give you an idea of how much mana you have. For a hero... You generally have much more mana than the regular person. You could use up as little or as much mana from the armlets as you want. If you want to use more of it, you simply will have to move the mana from it to the front metal band. As for using the mana stored in it for later... Hmm... I've never heard of anyone doing that, but it may be possible." He shook his head once you asked if testing it was sacrilege.

"Of course not, it would be better if you know the capabilities of this yourself." Kenver said grinning. "We can teach you how to transfer mana into it as well. The armlet is already charged, courtesy of my dear brother and I."

QuoteYou'll need the following technique learned in order to charge it. Though, you can always let any other NPC with that technique charge it for you.

Transfer Mana I
Prerequisites: Use Mana
Description: Transfer mana from one thing that can hold mana to another as a fullround action. 1 Point at a time.
Learn DC: 25
Required Successes:14

Anima mea

Smiling she reaches out and touches the left armlet lightly,  her fingertips reaching over and caressing them, almost as if afraid to break them.  She then rolls up her sleeves, taking great care with the hoodie to make sure she cover them fully to hide them from thieves.  Taking up the left armlet she gently, carefully, slides it on.  Ahe then takes up the right one and slides it on.  She then rolls the sleeves of her hoodie down over the armlets and grins at Kenver then Maban, "Thank you for charging them, I appreciate being able to put them to use for testing on day one.  You two are so much better than I deserve in teachers and companions" 

She then looks at Hunt, "Then I have Hunt, sweet boy that he is.  Although I do not think he knows what he has in store once my cycle comes around."  She looks at her arms and then back at Hunt, "Let's keep the knowledge of these from everyone else Hunt.  I have found surprises are most useful when the fewest amount of people know about them."  Turning to Maban again she takes up one of the dumplings she bites into it, chewing thoughtfully.  When she swallows she licks her lips, "Do we have two small sweets that we aren't going to eat? I told two of the children in the village that I would give them sweets when I saw the next if they behaved.  I have no doubt they have behaved and I want to keep my word as the hero. Honestly I wouldn't have promised them the sweets except I hadn't checked to make sure two sweets I had back in my world were still in my pocket. I just wanted to give them something sweet from another world."

Throndir

Kenver began to reach out for your hand, to hold it.

QuoteAny sign of resistance and he'll draw back.

"Hero Diane, it is you who we don't deserve. To be willingly helping us when we pulled you from whatever world and life you knew. You left ie behind for us." Kenver replied back staring into your eyes. Maban too beside him nodded in agreement.

As for Hunt, he blushed at your compliment of being called a sweet boy. But he smiled brightly. "What's a cycle? And yes I promise to keep your new arm thing a secret!"

Kenver, the one who seemed to like food the most as he was the one who prepared it both times, responded to your requests for sweets. "We have something called clotted cream. Ever since we were brought here to this world, we can't get a ready supply of it anymore, so I doubt that the children have had any for awhile. I've packed what food we have left, it'd be with the wagons and horses with Kayden and the rest of her knights."

After Kenver was done speaking, you notice Hunt's eyes go wide, and he seemed to shift his gaze between you and Kenver over and over again, while biting his lips.