[Jean] Chapter 16: The Ramparts

Started by Throndir, June 23, 2019, 03:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

"Aye... Twas a different time in me granfaither's time. None of me folk wanted tae do anythin' wi' th' surface dwellers and the rest of th' humans and elves, or the war wi' th' demons especially since most of our kingdom had vanished. We could try reopening th' tunnels again... That'd take us some time though..."

It was then that there was a knock at the door, and a male dwarf's voice spoke out.

"Tis not tae early is it? Me name's Dorgan, th' king assigned me ta talk to ye'."

The door was still closed, Telamon stood up then looked towards you if she should open it.

pringerbeam

"Well then it sounds like we will need to just brave the storms then.  We should get some of those warming crystals and prepare in case we wind up unable to return for a night or two in case the storms are too strong."  Said Jean as he ventured a drink of cold water to settle his stomach.

Jean nodded for Telamon to open the door.  "Come in!  Come in!"  He beckoned, wincing slightly at the loudness of his own voice bouncing around his skull.  "Just having some breakfast.  What did you need to talk to me about?"

Throndir

The door soon opened, revealing an older dwarf.

"Ah'm th' prime minister for th' kingdom. Served Lili's grandfaither, the current king, Lili's faither,, and Lili too once she's o' age."

The dwarf explained as he bowed low. "Ah'm primarily in charge o' keeping the records straight aboot business and th' populace, while th' king handles affairs more o' scale. Ye' can think of me as th' one who handles all th' paperwork and book-keeping. Th' king's mentioned tae me aboot th' plans o' the hero of the surface-dwellers, and now oor princess' future mate. At least wi' th' dwarven folk in mind, ah'd like to offer me services for that sort o' work."

pringerbeam

Jean leaned back in his chair and brought his fingers together in a point in front of his chin.  "I won't turn down any capable person willing to help my cause, but are you sure you understand what kind of responsibility you are taking on?  As a hero, my designs lie far beyond this city.  Entering into my service will probably require you to leave this kingdom and may result in you dying far from the home you knew.  It will require you making decisions for all the people of this world, not just the dwarves of Drugan, and it will require you to trust me when I order you to execute an action that you might find unsavory."  Jean stared hard into the dwarf's eyes.  "My other companions are bound to me by ritual, tradition, servitude, or in the case of Lili: marriage.  I trust them.  Can I trust you?"

[info]Sense Motive on their reply[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+6 : 13 + 6, total 19[/blockquote][/info]

Throndir

The dwarf held up his hands as he shrugged. "Weel, Ah'm not really th' adventurin' type." The dwarf said uncomfortably. "Unlike th' king n' th' princess who head down tae th' tunnels wi' th' rest of th' kin tae fight th' underground monsters, ah'd much prefer more sensible duties, like keepin' track o' records fer example. As much as yer offer is flatterin'... I juist wanted ta offer ye' the same as I do with me king, and princess Lili whenever she ascends to th' throne. Ye'd be a lord, and forgive me for sayin' sae, but a hero ta' boot. And wi' th' princess wantin' ta open up to th' rest o' th' world up there, I want tae be doon 'ere helpin' ease the transition, along wi' helpin lead Lili's and yer efforts for the dwarven people."

"Sae, n' ither werds, ah'd be the dwarven arm ye' can rely on to get business done for th' dwarves. Managin' th' workforce, allocatin' resources to mining efforts, smithery, or helpin' drive recruitment for the princess' cause. That sort o' thing. Ah'm sure Lili 'ere 'as already decided ta come up with ye' to th' surface." The dwarf said glancing at Lili. Lili herself nodded, but looked away. "Ye' see, if yer ta take Lili away from us, there'd be nothin' stoppin' the previous king, Lili's grandfaither from pushin' his agenda. Fer me personally, ah'd ever be the forward thinker, but ever I am loyal tae th' crown, right now it's th' king, but it'll be princess Lili at some point."

[info]Sense Motive: 19
You weren't able to get any hunches whether or not the dwarf was being sincere. But at the very least, you weren't able to detect any reason for deceit.[/info]

pringerbeam

"I think you misunderstood me.  I did not plan on taking you with me on my travels.  No offense, but you are too old and grey for that kind of role but I am going to need skilled administrators in the future and it is because I will often be away from them that I need to be assured of their motives and loyalty.  I may not send you to the front lines of combat, but the skills of an experienced prime minister may be needed in the lands beyond the mountains...  It seems this is beyond what you were expecting...  This is unfortunate."  Replied Jean as he picked up a glass of water and took a sip.  "For now, it sounds like you are loyal to Lili or at least to the throne and it's future occupants.  I will accept your aid in stewarding the city, and in running it the stead of Lili and I when we are on our travels.  Unless you have any objections?" He aked, looking to Lili.

Throndir

"If ye' caught me a hunnerd years younger I woulda took ye' up at that chance!" The dwarf said jovially. "Ah'm loyal to th' crown, but this is my home, family, grandchildren are all 'ere."

Lili shook her head. "Dorgan's been part o' th' family ever since ah wuz a wee lil child. Ah always thought he'd be helpin' me run the small things when I become queen." Lili said. "He is skilled at what he does..."

Dorgan shrugged. "Maybe in later on, hero o' the surface-dwellers. But right now, me place is here in the city o' dwarves."

pringerbeam

"I guess that will have to do.  Actually, I needed someone to keep an eye on the Ramparts while I make a trip back to the surface.  Or well, Telamon will probably be able to keep an eye on the ramparts.  I guess what I should say is I need someone to keep an eye on the research team.  In the event the team is ready to begin their investigations today or before we make it back from our trip I need someone with local authority to convince them to leave should they be found  to be up to no good.  Ren and Telamon should have no problem defending the Ramparts on their own, but it would probably be easier if we just avoid bloodshed altogether.  Can do that for me?"  Asked Jean before looking to Telamon and Ren.  "Oh right, since there is only limited space on Viridio, Ren and Telamon are going to need to stay behind.  I'll ask that you two go down to the Ramparts and stay there until we get back to keep an eye on things.  I'm sure you girls can have some fun getting to know each other a it better while we are gone."

Throndir

"Aye, ah've already got th' request from research team, but ah'll be going through the members afore it's official. There were afew choices that ah know aren't favorable with ye', th' hero of th' humans. Ah'd be meeting with the team later and interviewin' them. Ah'd like to talk with yer Telamon as weel, aboot the changes we might've need tae do on our refineries. A few of the clan heads from last night 'ave already pledged their support after yer defeated 'em in th' drinking bout, sae they'll help with the entire refinery werk."

"If you're leaving without me, master, take one of the drones with you." Telamon said calmly with a smile on her face.

Ren on the other hand started to frown and pout. "But master...!" She started, but then continued in a quieter almost mumbling voice. "When will you be back?"

pringerbeam

"Good, and thank you for this.  I'm sure Telamon can keep you well informed."  Said Jean as he looked at Telamon's drones, getting up to stand close enough to poke one of them with his finger.  "Sure I can bring one with us, they seem like they don't take up much room and Ren don't worry.  We hopefully will be back later tonight.  Though we might not make it back until tomorrow or the day after if the weather turns for the worse while we are gone.  I need you to behave while I'm gone.  Do not harm any of the dwarves unless they endanger the Ramparts, you, or Telamon."  He sat down next to Ren and put a hand on her cheek.  "I know we haven't been apart since we met but you will need to be strong and to be good.  I know you can do this for me..."  He said as he looked deeply into her eyes before pulling in and kissing her on the lips.  "Can't you?"

Throndir

"Bind them down if you're going through rough weather. They have stabilizers, but it's not enough against gale force winds... Or a storm. But if you manage to lose one, it'll send out a beacon so I can track it down eventually again."

When you kissed Ren, she wrapped her tentacles around you, and by the end of it, she back to smiling. "Yes... master... I can." She finally said.

"After breakfast, Ah'd finally be able to go and see surface-dwellers? Apart from ye' Jean and yer companions Jean, this'll be the first time. It's unfortunate ah cannae send a proper delegate to represent the dwarves..."

"Yer the princess!" Dorgan said ."Ye'll be fine my princess. Anyways... Telamon? Ah'll be swinging by again and perhaps taking ye' to the refinery later today... Hero... Princess... May the goddess be with ye' in yer journey." With that Dorgan started to close the door and leave.

pringerbeam

"Oh, I think it will be fine.  I assume that it's able to communiate back with you in some way?"  Said Jean as he took the white drone in hand and willed it into his inventory.  "And I think you will be fine too!  You are after all bride-to-be of a great and mighty hero.  And I've somehow managed to get along with the people we are going to meet."  He said to Lili.  "Though we really should get going if we want to make it back later tonight.  Think we can get our provisions rounded up?  Just some emergency food and those warming crystals I think.  Oh and you might want to put on something warm.  Just in case."  He said as he stood up, taking a bite of some dense bread-like food and fighting his stomach to get at least some nutrition in.

[info]Small edit to ask about drone[/info]

Throndir

Telamon nods. "Perhaps not this deep underground. But I'll have the drone collect full logs on its journey with you, then I'll check once every hour with the updates."

"Aye, that ah kin do." Lili responded with a bright and eager smile on her face.

Date: Day 9 (Jean), Day 11 (Rosalie) - Time: 12:30

The sound of the clocktower of the dwarven city rung out through the enormous cavern complex, and it was then too that the preparations were complete. After that, the group made their way through the city, through the train line heading eastwards, and finally up the elevator shaft that would take you to the cold peaks of the Antwarch mountains.

QuoteFeel free to state any other items you may have brought with you. Anything mundane is totally fine, along with the previously mentioned items. Feel free to throw anything in your Items sheet for it.

Lili pressed on a button, and like the first time, the door to the lone outpost at the peaks of the mountain opened up as fresh cold air blew in. The rest of your companions were still with you, even though only Lili, Dalina, and Viridio were to come along.