[Jean] Chapter 16: The Ramparts

Started by Throndir, June 23, 2019, 03:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pringerbeam

"Metallum...  How fortuitous!  I happen to have a bone to pick with them and what better than the bane of their existence to be at my disposal."  Said Jean as he looked at the console.  "The Thamylon Legend, it's a ship?  What kind of ship?  And why is it broken up into different parts?"  He focused on the console where it showed the power reserve status.  He turned his head back and forth, looking at the girl on either arm.  "A hard choice...  But Ren gets seniority.  I'm sure you understand Telamon.  Though do continue.  You said you're a gynoid?  Could you explain?"  He asked as he took his arm from around Telamon to tap the console on the indicator for the low energy warning.

Throndir

Once you tapped on the console, a couple of bars appeared, each one labeled as a power cell. There was also a numerical value assigned to the total amount of energy left.

ENERGY LEVEL: 3.2%
320/10,000

"A ship would be an apt way to describe it as such. Though, one that flew in the skies, rather than the sea. The war with the Metallum was at it's peak. When the Fletheno empire commissioned my first master, Doctor Alcina, it was decided that the construction of the Thamylon Legend would be created in different cities. This was done in such the case if an Upper Class Metallum destroyed one of the cities. Each piece of the Thamylon Legend is fully usable as is, though, more functions are unlocked when they are joined together."

"I am a gynoid, yes. Doctor Alcina preferred the female form." Telamon had actually lowered her hand and grabbed one of your butt cheeks. "I don't have any preference, as long as you're my owner." She smiled slyly.

pringerbeam

"Very feisty, it seems your creator had good taste.  Varied too based on the wide selection of acts that you said you know.  Maybe you can show us later.  Anything that can make use of a third participant?  For that matter what about tentacles?"  Responded Jean as he returned the squeeze with one of his own to her own rear end.  "Speaking of taste, I noticed you can change your clothes.  What are those floating things that helped you do that?"  He asked as he looked at the screen's new report.  "Floating...  Flying ship...  Wait...  Were there other flying ships or were the Thamylon Legend components unique in that respect?  Do you know about the Wind Temples?"  He tried tapping on the readouts for the other systems such as weapons, engines, and defenses.  "It seems we're low on energy.  What powers the Ramparts and what can we do to replenish our reserves?  For that matter it might be easier if you could give me an orientation.  Rather than me bumbling through the...  computer?  Actually..."  he looked around to see if there was anything resembling a clock.  He turned back to Lili.  "What time is it?  I don't want my other companion to remain in the cold at all if possible.  While Ren and I have plenty of stamina, she is a normal human and susceptible to the elements above."

Throndir

Telamon smiled. "You won't believe how many things deal with tentacles." Talamon flashed a grin.

"These two are my satellite drones. They are like extensions of my own body, and though I don't need them to use the Actualization module, they do help speed up the materialization process." On command, both the drones around her circled around the three of you quickly once, then began to float again back in their original position.

When you mentioned the wind temples, Telamon quickly responded. "Wind temples are not familiar, that could mean anything. However, I do know of the Heaven Temples, though, I am unsure if we are specifying the same thing. They were where fanatics of the Goddess of Air worshipped. They refused acknowledgement of the other goddesses, and if not for their intrepid leader of their time, were primarily backwards in their views." She then pointed towards the console you had been looking at, and the view on it changed. It seemed to display some sort of news article, complete with an animation on loop. It was a picture of green-haired men in robes who seemed to be showcasing what looked to be an android in similar attire. The headlines on it said "Heavens Extremists Founder Creates Cybers". "They dyed their hair green, though, a couple of them had eventually managed gene editing to make it permanent to their offspring as a dominant trait. The leader himself wasn't as ingenious as Doctor Alcina, though he managed to create an off-shoot of the DC-series androids some call us, as their most prominent contribution to the scientific community. They were droids who had limited spatial manipulation abilities. What typically required an astronomical amount of energy or mana had been reduced to a smaller amount. Other than that, there were no other flying ships before the phasing plunged this city into the depths."

"An engine core that makes use of charged ether crystals, refined into ether liquid is what powers the engine. The final design would have had the Tower of Thamylon Legend provide all the energy. Given the current amount of energy reserves left, even in low-power, it would have lasted for another 302 years before completely running out. To power the engine, we need refined ether liquid. However... there are other ways to charge it as well. That is through the use of mana. However, for an average living being, fully charging the capacity for just the Ramparts would have taken at least 5 years, with draining their mana reserves on a daily basis. The Tower itself would have taken at least a century."

"Doctor Alcina had written up instructions for this generation's hero. There is a user's manual for the Ramparts. However, I can guide you through the systems as well if you would like. Just say the word."

QuoteWe'll treat the user manual as a kind of Training. Unlocking it will allow you to use Knowledge checks related with the Ramparts, without a horrible circumstantial modifier. DC 17, RS: 6.

Lili had been in awe of the surroundings, so when you finally called out to her, it drew her out of her own thoughts. "Oh. Right. Yer companion back at th' top whin th' moon is at th' highest... Ah will have to apologize for ah don't actually know th' exact time... Ah figured it'd be sometime aroond midnight. I might 'ave if we managed te talk wh' some astronomers..." Lili looked at you sheepishly and apologetically. "We hae a watchman that goes up to th' outpost though. Ah wis planning tae message him tae keep a look out fur yer companion."

Lili turned towards Telamon. "I'm curious... Ye seem tae be a golem or machine o' some sort, wi' this blether o' programming... Whit time is th' moon th' hi'est tonight?"

"Let me calculate that for you. Today it'll be at 1:34 AM."

"Ah, that's amazing." Lili said her eyes in wonder. She shook herself out of it a moment later and looked back towards you. "Looks like we have aroond 70 minutes. It'll tak' that amount o' time tae git back thare."

pringerbeam

"Then it's time to go I guess."  Said Jean as he took the manual.  "Come on Telamon, we will need to keep the orientation going as we walk.  We have another companion we need to meet, a descendant of those priests you mentioned.  I assume that we can seal the door behind us and that as the master of the Rampart I can open, close, lock, and unlock the doors.  How do I lock it behind us?"  Asked Jean as he started to make his way for the exit.  "The fuel we need, the charged ether crystals, how is it produced?  Do you know anything about those Lili?"

Throndir

"I've already imprinted you to the Rampart. Any of the doors here will open for you, unless a door is locked, but even then you can override the lock, just say it out loud, or use one of the consoles. I have a short-range communication link active with the Ramparts, so I can manage any of the systems even if we are away, however, because we're underground, there's a limit to that as well, especially the farther we go. If need be, I can use my drones as transmitters however."

"As for the ether crystals, they are naturally occurring, though, rare at times... Dwarves should know about it. However, refining them into ether liquid requires an alchemy lab. There used to be one other in this city, however, it's been eroded overtime. The only functioning one I am aware of will be at the Alchemy Lab of the Thamylon Legend."

"Ye' say th' ether crystals are natural? Ah've ne'er 'eard o' 'em..." Lili said. "Kin ye' explain their properties?"

"They are a crystal, can range in colors.  They ranged from varying levels of quality. They usually can store any kind of mana, though, at times they are more compatible with specific types of attributed mana."

Lili nodded as her eyes brightened. "Ye' mean mana crystals then. Aye, we've bin 'oarding them."

pringerbeam

"Good, seal access to the Ramparts to you, me, and Ren for now Telamon."  Commanded Jean as they exited the door.  "Not that I don't trust you your highness, but for now I'll need to barter access to the ship as the only currency I currently have.  I still need to get your priests to call off the dryads and negotiate for a portion of your mana crystal stores so until we reach some sort of agreement on those I'm keeping access limited.  I'm the captain now so I need to look out for my ship."  He explained as they made their way back to the exterior of the building.  "So, if the wind temples were created in your time.  What can you tell me about the dungeon cores?  I have met one but know little about her.  Are they another kind of gynoid like yourself?  For that matter, do you know where the other component ships of the Thamylon Legend are located and are each of them stewarded by a gynoid as well?"  He looked up to the vast ceiling of the cavern complex as they exited the building.  "How exactly did you get stuck down here anyways?  Do you have a way of getting the Ramparts out of here?"

Throndir

"Done!" Telamon said as you left the Ramparts. The door behind you started to close and eventually it was yet again sealed tight. Your group started to make your way back up to the top.

Lili had nodded. "At th' very least we finally git tha door open efter almost a hundred years... Hero Jean, ah have a request to mak' though. A'm waantin' ye to huv a go at convincing mah fowk, specifically th' priests 'n' mah faither to mak' our way to th' surface. Or at least to tell th' surface-dwellers that we're doon 'ere, 'n' that we're willing to help. Ah know plenty o' mah fowk want to be up thare too, we can't hole ourselves up in 'ere forever..."

"Dungeon Cores? If you're talking about gynoids... There are other types too. The TLE series created by Doctor Alcina. The DC series more commonly used by the populace. The DF-series used by the empire. So too were other more rudimentary models. Many of the advances in that field were thanks to Doctor Alcina as well. However, none as advanced as my sisters and I." Again there was a hint of pride in her voice.

"As for the other components of the Thamylon Legend... Not precisely. At least, it's not likely they would be in the same place as my records indicate. It was due to the phasing that changed all of that, and sent part of the city where the Ramparts was being built down here. It's a phenomenon where reality is torn asunder, and entire zones are teleported through. Doctor Alcina suspected that the leader of the Heavens extremist group had studied the phenomenon to have been able to develop their androids with the limited spatial control. However, not much is known about their origin. It started happening after the first incursion of the Metallum, but it had ruined much of our cities. It was what cut off many of our underground lines towards other cities as well. And in the case of the Ramparts, it and this section of the city had been sent down here. If by chance one of the components of the Thamylon Legend are still functional, we might be able to contact them. However... Apart from the Tower, the Ramparts had the second most amount of energy reserves. There is a high statistical chance that the other components might not have lasted. Each of the components have a gynoid to take care of them too."

Up ahead you see some of the dwarves from before. They all wore robes, and a couple of them were openly wielding axes as well. They were at the top of the stairs, nearer the entrance to the building that lead to the Rampart's gate.

pringerbeam

"I think I'm familiar with the phasing.  I was actually hoping you knew more than that but it sounds like that's another thing to add on to our list of things to do on our journey.  We're going on a journey by the way but for now we have a bit of a problem...  Speaking of which..."  He said as they came to the robed dwarves.  "Hello there, you seem to be blocking the exit.  I don't suppose you could get out of the way?  We have an appointment to keep."

Throndir

Telamon shook her head. "Sadly, that is the case. One of our cannons might be strong enough to reach the surface, but I do not have telemetry on how deep we are, nor do I think we have enough power to do so." When the dwarves blocking the exit appeared, you felt Telamon sneak her hand on your behind. "Maybe we can get telemetry on how deep you can do though." She said quietly, her voice teasing.

The dwarves up ahead responded to you call. The dwarf who was the most at front spoke. His accent was a lot less thick than the rest. But accent or not, you were still able to clearly understand each of the dwarves through your blessings.

"So! Ye're the human's everyone's talking about? Ye're even at the gates that could only be opened by a hero, accompanied by Princess Lili Seadhg, who had always wanted to get our people to the surface, find heroes, and fight yer battles... Hah. Ye're that hero then. The one the dryads are wary of." He said, he didn't seem to state it as a question. The dwarf in front was flanked by two dwarves wearing heavy armor underneath their robes. Princess, yer grandfather's angry at ye'. Ye' shudda seen 'him."

pringerbeam

"Yup, that's me.  Jean: Hero of the Wind Temples, Master of the Ramparts, Ringleader of the Cooky Carnival, blah, blah, blah.  These are my consorts."  He said, sweeping Ren and Telamon up next to him and giving their rears a good squeeze.  "Now if you could introduce yourself and get this along quickly?  You highness, I don't suppose you can order them to lay out their grievances as we walk?  If there even is one.  I notice they didn't lead with any charges or orders to detain us."  He noted with a raised eyebrow at the lead dwarf.

Throndir

"Cuz he can't. Thare isn't any laws wi' takin any outsiders 'ere.; 'twas juist discouraged to do so. Father wouldn't ever let that happen, even if grandfather keeps pressuring him. If anythin', all they follow is th' will of th' dryads, 'n' thair own divine readings." Lili began to move forward, brandishing her own axe as well.

"We haven't done anything wrong. Yer tae step aside. By order o' th' First Princess o' our kingdom."

The dwarf frowned, but he didn't move.

"Don't ye forget, I'm the High Priest o' this 'ere nation too. And in this case, ah wuld say yer grandfather sides with me, and yer father had always been the most neutral... No. Your grandfather had given us permission to take ye in to see him. As for that cursed hero...." He looked towards you. "Ye are to leave. Leave behind anything ye've found 'ere, for its the property of th' dwarves."

One of the priests beside the High Priest whispered something in his ear. However, your senses were sharp, and you quickly managed to pick it up.

Quote"That ither human wi' thaim didnae come in tae th' ruins wi' thaim."

The High Priest narrowed his eyes, and stared at Telamon specifically. Telamon, in response, simply shrugged and smiled, her eyes twinkling in the low light, but choosing not to say anything.

pringerbeam

"Now see, that's a problem.  You see, this lovely consort."  At this Jean kissed Telamon and turned back the the dwarf.  "Came from down that hallway and has declared me Master of the Ramparts: the ship that lies buried beneath us and as Master of the Ramparts, everything down that hallway belongs to me and your princess has requested that we negotiate conditional access.  Now, I am fully open to negotiations as long as they are civil but that would entail some simple conditions to start."  He said, walking closer to the lead dwarf to tower over him.  "First, that my companions and I are entitled to free movement to and from your kingdom.  Second, that I get a chance to hold an audience with the princess and the king.  Surely a cultured and civil nation like yours can abide by these terms?"  He said drawing to his full height to widen the difference in height.  "I'd like to also add that you will not be able to access the Ramparts without my permission and I also know you can't access the ship on your own otherwise you would have done so long before a hero showed up at your door."

[info]Diplomacy, assuming it's needed[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+12 : 19 + 12, total 31[/blockquote][/info]

Throndir

"Princess! I cannae believe ye' let him in 'ere." The High Priest glared at Lili, though the princess wasn't backing down either. The dwarven High Priest locked eyes with you as you neared. The armored dwarves next to him stepped forward too, their giant axes in plain view, and ensuring they were in between you and their leader. "First... How long have ye' been a hero?" The dwarf cleric asked carefully.

pringerbeam

"I have been heroically conducting myself for about one week total.  That is not accounting for otherwise lost time.  Why do you ask...  You know you never introduced yourself?  Hardly following decorum here now are we?  Here I was assuming that you princess's standard of civility and hospitality was a credit to your race and yet maybe I was mistaken."  Replied Jean with a roll of his eyes.  "Are all your common folk this uncivil your highness?"  He asked, turning his back to the dwarf to look at Lili.