[Fred] Chapter 7: Underground Caverns and Tunnels

Started by Throndir, July 10, 2019, 04:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

《Chapter 7: Underground Caverns and Tunnels》
"Hero..." Filiane perked up, standing up, and ensuring her clothing were tidy and in order. You see her considering the question for a moment, but she eventually nodded slowly. "Now...?" She asked.

Linwelin

Fred gave a reassuring smile, "Yes, if you're willing and able." He motioned to the rest of the group continuing the gear up.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Throndir

She glanced downwards first, taking a deep breathe, but eventually she nodded again. "Alright... Give me a few minutes to prepare?" Filiane asked. "I'll meet with everyone." She noticed Lai Fen being part of the group, then looking back towards you she managed a smile and held out two fingers. "Two minutes".

QuoteThe sisters and Filiane will bring some things they think might be useful, but feel free to state specific things you will be taking with you, we'll be putting those in your Items sheet and locking that down.

Linwelin

"Two minutes? That means I need to hurry! We'll meet up by the big tree, and head out from there." Fred grinned and ran off to find any gear he might need.

I said that, but...what even do I need to bring? After a moment of thinking, he had a flash of insight, running over to a supply tent and grabbing a spare sheet. With how my power now activates, you never know who else will need cover...

Other than the sheet, Fred couldn't think of anything else he'd bring. A scavenger by nature, he was used to traveling to obtain things, not the other way around. All he could do was think back to his memories for what he saw from humans in his past life.

"Ah!" He quietly exclaimed to himself. That's right! They always seem to have food on them when they travel far. I suppose I would, too, if I had the ability to do so uninhibited. So convenient.

With that realization, Fred scrounged around for a meager amount of rations, and a pack to carry them in.

[info]
Fred gets a couple days of rations, and a sheet.

I WISH I could go around grabbing rope and other survival gear, but Fred wouldn't realize that that was important. Since he's mentally used to flight still, he wouldn't think of getting through obstacles he'd normally fly over until he experiences it.

...Bird brain... XD[/info]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Throndir

"You got ready quick Fred. Didn't expect that from you." Lai Fen commented when you hurried back with your own pack and supplies.

"That was my doing, usually you push us to get ready within a minute." Filiane glanced towards you. "I gave him two."

QuoteNeed a couple of things. The further you travel in, the encounter table changes. Expect the deeper you travel the riskier things will be, but the more interesting things will be as well.

• State marching order, or formation
  • State who is leading (they will be rolling Survival per hour to determine path, and avoiding getting lost, previously explored areas have hidden bonuses to the roll)
  • Who is scouting ahead, how they communicate back, and etc. Light sources. Distance from scout, etc.
  • You can leave any of these details up to the NPCs (Probably Lai Fen) as well.

Linwelin

"Well, I didn't really need them since there wasn't much to take! We're just going into some caves a little ways. All we need is weapons and food, right?" Fred said with a small amount of confidence, shifting his ranseur and patting his supplies.

"So? How are we doing this?"

QuoteHonestly, Fred doesn't have a clue about formations, nor the team's specialties for exploration. Pretty much every detail is left to the vice-leaders. All he knew was that having someone that can actually see would be beneficial.

I imagine Filiane can scout, Eris will take point (as a super-buff hero herself) on the main group, and the Lai Sisters and Fred will be grouped with her in some manner.

As for the scouting, I feel like Elven style is to run ahead and camp out observing until the group catches up, then rinse and repeat. I don't know what kind of abilities Filiane has, so signaling style is up to her to establish.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Throndir

"Well, Fred, we'll show you how it's done. Filiane is primarily a mage, she's been learning how to use Ki, but it's no where near Eris, mine, or my sister's level. Eris will be scouting up front. Her abilities lets her escape easily to come back to us, and being a darkness mage, she is able to see in the dark. Ju typically takes rear guard, and either Jed or myself take the front. Since these will be unknown areas, we'll be taking it slow, rather than the hustle we were doing earlier getting here. Filiane or you will be attempting to keep track of where we've been and making note of any landmarks. Chaoxiang and his men usually are the ones that map layouts for us, but we'll give him these notes later on. If these caverns are relatively safe, we may let Chaoxiang start mapping it out too... Who knows how long we'll be down here anyways."

QuoteHere's how this will work. There's sections of the tunnels ahead. The deeper you go, the likelier you'll run into monsters, but the more interesting things there will be. Some things can only be found in specific areas.

So here's the checklist per hour.

1) State if you are going Deeper into tunnels, Exploring current area, or Retreating back home.
2) The guide of the group rolls Survival or Knowledge (dungeoneering) to determine success. If failed 5 or less of the DC, they make no progress and stay in current area. If failed 6 or more, they make no progress, and the next check takes a -2 circumstance penalty. The penalties are cumulative, and reset once a success is made. Failures have a chance of randomly going a different direction.
3) The cartographer of the group rolls Knowledge (geography) or Profession (cartographer) or Craft (cartography). A success allows a +1 circumstance bonus to the guide's Survival or Knowledge (dungeoneering) check for that specific section. A well-crafted masterwork map will allow a +2 circumstance bonus.
4) Roll a Stealth and Perception check each hour.

Current roles:
Scout: Eris (primarily Perception and Stealth for reporting encounters ahead, in case she fails, the rest of the party rolls Perception and Stealth)
Guide: Fred or Filiane (described above)
Cartographer: Fred or Filiane (described above)
Lai Ju: Rear Guard (circumstance bonus on Perception behind)
Lai Fen: Front Guard (circumstance bonus on Perception in front)

Linwelin

Mapping...I think that had something to do with recording locations, right? I think I've seen a few on some tables.

"Oh? Chaoxiang is good at mapping? Interesting. And yes, slow is exactly the pace I wanted." He turned to Eris after giving Fen an agreeable smile, "Lead on, Miss Scout!"

[info]Will be Exploring the current area just inside the tunnels. (Or does entering count as going deeper?)

[blockquote]Survival:  1d20+7 : 18 + 7, total 25[/blockquote][/info]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Throndir

QuoteIt's exploring current area! Base camp is in the first area.

Current Area: Spirit Tree, Section 1
Current Time: 3 PM
Roles & Formation
[spoiler]Scout: Eris, 120 ft. in front of Point Guard
Point Guard: Lai Fen, 10 ft. in front of Guide and Cartographer.
Guide: ?
Cartographer: ?, has Torch, 20 ft. bright light, 40 ft. dim light.
Rear Guard: Lai Ju, 15 ft. behind of Guide and Cartographer.[/spoiler]

Exploration Log
[spoiler]Exploring Spirit Tree, Section 1[/spoiler]

Exploring the area, you didn't run into anything. As you moved around though, you realized that these caverns stretched on in many directions, with tunnels connecting them all. There were plenty of glowing roots that you had seen as well, but no more of the glowing trees. There were a lot of crystalline structures as well. For the most part, these caverns were very open-spaced, with large rooms connected to one another.

QuoteState whether to go Deeper, or Explore, or Retreat (back to camp)
State specifically what roles you are doing if being a Guide or a Cartographer
-If Guide, Roll Survival or Knowledge (dungeoneering)
-If Cartographer, Roll Knowledge (geography) or Profession (cartographer) or Craft (cartography) or INT
Also roll Perception and Stealth incase Eris, the Scout, or the Lai Fen, the Point Guard, and Lai Ju, Read Guard, fails theirs.
Unless otherwise stated, the Cartographer will be holding a torch for light.

Linwelin

QuoteSorry, I meant to declare that Fred is Guide and Filiane is Cartographer.

"Hmm, nothing too new. Though I do like how everything is glowy!" Fred exclaims as the group looks around. "Is it normal for caves to have such large rooms like this? Anyways, let's keep going."

[info][blockquote]Survival:  1d20+7 : 19 + 7, total 26[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Stealth:  1d20+16 : 9 + 16, total 25[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Perception:  1d20+14 : 3 + 14, total 17[/blockquote][/info]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Throndir

Quote3 PM - 4 PM
Link: Chapter 7.1: Mana Flower

QuoteExploration Log
[spoiler]Go Exploring Spirit Tree, Section 1
Filiane fails to create map of Spirit Tree, Section 1.
Go Deeper, success. Now in Spirit Tree, Section 2.
Filiane fails to create map of Spirit Tree, Section 2.
[/spoiler]

Current Area: Spirit Tree, Section 2
Current Time: 4 PM
Roles & Formation
Guide: Fred
Cartographer: Filiane, has Torch, 20 ft. bright light, 40 ft. dim light.

Areas
Area: Spirit Tree, Section 1, Not mapped
Area: Spirit Tree, Section 2, Not mapped

QuoteState if going Deeper, Exploring, or Retreating. Then roll Survival for next Guide attempt.

Linwelin

QuoteDeeper we go!

[info][blockquote]Survival:  1d20+7 : 5 + 7, total 12[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Stealth:  1d20+16 : 16 + 16, total 32[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Perception:  1d20+14 : 1 + 14, total 15[/blockquote][/info]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Throndir

The further you travel, you notice the ground start to change. Rather than the soft ground that it was before, the ground here started to become a lot firmer. In some sections it was hard rock as well. There were still glowing roots, and you began to wonder if these roots were really from the same tree or not, but there was much much more crystals. You had started to see more mushroom patches here, ones that were growing without the aid of the mana-increase liquid from earlier.

It was during traversing through this area that you started to near a set of crystalline formations...

QuotePhys Resist save requested, and doing this in Initiative order, so roll initiative as well.

Linwelin

[info][blockquote]Phys Resist:  1d20+5 : 4 + 5, total 9[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Initiative:  1d20+9 : 5 + 9, total 14[/blockquote][/info]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Throndir

[info]Phys Resist: 9
You felt yourself suddenly freeze up, as something in the air or perhaps the ground seemed to mess with your senses.[/info]
QuoteYou are now Stunned. Reference below.

Stunned: A stunned creature drops everything held, can't take actions, takes a –2 penalty to AC, and loses its Dexterity bonus to AC (if any). Attackers receive a +4 bonus on attack rolls to perform combat maneuvers against a stunned opponent.

Beside you, you heard and saw Filiane drop the map she was making along with the torch. Thankfully they landed far enough from each other that the map didn't burn. You dropped your own weapon, and as it clanged on the ground, Lai Fen glanced back to verify what had happened, and readied her own weapons, looking into the dark.

Immediately, the same dark purple and red aura surrounded her.

Lai Ju did the same, though, her's wasn't the same color at all as Lai Fen's. Her's was a light yellow.

You and Filiane weren't able to take any actions due to whatever it was that affected you.

At that moment, a crystalline blob started to make its way closer to the group. The formation of crystals shifted as it made its way towards you. But then as it moved, it split off into 4 separate blobs.

When the crystalline creatures neared, Lai Ju behind you froze up as well, and she too dropped her own weapons, which was a bow, to the ground.

QuoteRoll Knowledge (dungeoneering) if you have it to identify it.

"Eris!" Lai Fen called out in alarm, not seeing their scout.

From the darkness up ahead, you heard Eris' chanting. "Oh fire. Incinerating flames. 《Explosion》!" With that, you felt an intense heat from up ahead where the crystalline creature were at. It was absolutely bright, and from your vantage point just 15 ft. away from the creatures, you felt the wave of heat. It didn't hurt you, but for the crystal creatures who were in the center of it, you could tell they took the damage fully. The rocks and stone around the area was completely melted as well, with many parts of it glowing red. The crystalline creatures themselves, though still moving, had many parts of them completely melted.

Lai Fen then moved up and struck out twice to the closest creature. After the two quick strikes the crystal creature was dead.

As for Lai Ju, she continued being stunned.

QuoteFred's turn. Phys. Resist save requested. If you meet DC 22, take your action.

QuoteGrid Map: https://app.roll20.net/join/3988538/rxP3dQ
Initiative order: Eris Alaster: 28, Lai Fen: 21, Lai Ju: 17, Fred: 14, Filiane: 7, Crystal creature: 4
Combat Log
[spoiler]Surprise Round
Lai Fen succeeds Phys Resist.
Fred fails Phys Resist. and is stunned.
Filiane fails Phys Resist. and is stunned.
Round 1 starts
Lai Fen swift action to enable Focused Breathing. Standard action to Ki Release, costing 5 KP, triggering: Body Strengthening III, Body Armoring II, Hardened Body I. Move action to get closer to you and Filiane.
Lai Ju swift action to enable Focused Breathing, standard action to Ki Release, costing 5 KP, triggering: Body Strengthening II, Body Armoring I, Hardened Body I
Fred is stunned and can take no actions.
Filiane is stunned and can take no actions.
Crystal creature moves 40 ft. closer, splits up into 4. Lai Ju fails Phys Resist. and is stunned.
Round 2 starts
Eris casts Explosion, hits Crystal Creature 1, 2, 3, 4
Lai Fen succeeds Phys Resist. Regenerates 7 KP. Maintains Body Strengthening III, Body Armoring II, and Hardened Body I, costing 3 KP. Swift action Ki Strike, costing 2 KP.  Free action: 5 ft. step. Fullround attack on Crystal Creature 2. Crystal Creature 2 dies.
Lai Ju fails Phys Resist.
[/spoiler]

Status
Lai Fen: [include u=2]KP: 28/33, Current KP Regen: 7[/include] Uninjured, Refreshed, affected by Body Strengthening III, Body Armoring II, and Hardened Body I
Lai Ju: Uninjured, Refreshed, affected by Body Strengthening II, Body Armoring I, and Hardened Body I
Fred: Uninjured, Refreshed, Stunned
Filiane: Uninjured, Refreshed, Stunned
Eris: Uninjured, Tired
Crystal Creature 1: Badly Wounded
Crystal Creature 2: Dead
Crystal Creature 3: Badly Wounded
Crystal Creature 4: Badly Wounded

QuoteExploration Log
[spoiler]Go Exploring Spirit Tree, Section 1
Filiane fails to create map of Spirit Tree, Section 1.
Go Deeper, success. Now in Spirit Tree, Section 2.
Filiane fails to create map of Spirit Tree, Section 2.
Go Deeper, success. Now in Spirit Tree Outskirts, Section 1.
Filiane fails to create map of Spirit Tree Outskirts, Section 1.
[/spoiler]

Current Area: Spirit Tree, Section 3
Current Time: 5 PM
Roles & Formation
Guide: Fred
Cartographer: Filiane, has Torch, 20 ft. bright light, 40 ft. dim light.

Areas
Area: Spirit Tree, Section 1, Not mapped
Area: Spirit Tree, Section 2, Not mapped, contains Glowing Blue Flower point of interest
Area: Spirit Tree Outskirts, Section 1, Not mapped