[Diane] Chapter 2: The Hero's Home

Started by Throndir, June 02, 2019, 12:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anima mea

Reaching over she pats him on the shoulder gently, "I'm not sure I count as cute, but I am a girl.  Although, I'm fairly certain that I would be a poor fit for most anyone.  I'm not very socially mature." She shrugs and looks at the steam engine and begins to debating what to attach it to to produce actual work from it.  He looks at Kenver and smiles, "I think I'll set up this steam engine to power a fan, allowing us to cool the house, or at least one room of it.  Although, it will take some experimentation to get it working properly." Going silent, she looks around, "I could even set it up to mildly automate pumping water from a well, if you have a smaller one for the house."

Throndir

Kenver smiled gently. "Well, believe me, you're definitely cute." He soon finished packing up his basket, and he had even brought along a second one containing more cooking materials. "There's a well near our chapel that might be able to play around with if you'd like. Though, both my brother and I rarely use it as we tend to summon our own water whenever we need it." Kenver said as he began to head out the door. With one more long glance towards you, he then turned towards the door, waving his hand.

Anima mea

"I do believe you are trying to flatter me now Kenver.  A girl might get the wrong idea," the statement is made plainly and without an invitation for more to continue.  When he states that the church has a well that isn't being used often she smiles.  When Kenver heads out the door, she looks at steam engine and sighs softly.  "I smell and I need a bath." Standing up and stretching, she heads out of the kitchen and starts to listen and look for where she might find a hot bath and Maban, he was the other half of her priestly duo and well, it might be time to feel him out.

Throndir

You quickly heard some running water, it was located outside however, and when you approached the area, it was then that you realized Maban was setting up the bath. A large section of the backyard of the hero's home consisted a large outdoor bath, with high wooden walls that surrounded it. The bath itself looked well-decorated with large stones with indents in them, with light coming out of it. The light seemed to come sort crystal found in each of the alcoves. The sun had started its descent into evening, and already it was starting to get darker, so that each of the light coming from the crystals were more noticable.

Maban was making his rounds between the pools, and you heard him chanting softly. Unlike his brother, Maban had a softer and seemingly gentle voice, though, both brothers both looked similar, along with sounded the same, if they chose to. Maban was saying words, almost like some sort of lame incantation.

"O Water. Blessed be those who drink from the source. Cooling Spring." The moment he finished, from his hands came forth a gush of water, flowing down into the pools. He already had filled up a couple of the areas, and when this one done, he would have finished filling all the water. Maban noticed you as water poured forth from his hands. "Hero Diane!" Maban said as he bowed towards you awkwardly, as one of his hands was still pointed towards the pool he was filling up. "There's a couple more preparations I need to do... Perhaps if you give me another minute? I'll almost done."

Anima mea

Diane shakes her head with a smile, "I'm not in a huge hurry, so I can wait until you get done."  She looks around the area and inspects the stones and their inset crystals.  Inspecting every feature she can to try to give her ideas about anything she can to magic things easier.  She then turns and looks at Maban, her eyes taking him in in detail.  As she studies the young man, there is something about him that strikes her fancy, but not enough to urge her to make any drastic moves.  Instead she walks over to him and watches him use the spell to finish filling the pools.

Throndir

QuoteRoll Perception if you want anything more than a cursory glance.

The crystals were glowing and inserted into each of the alcoves. There wasn't any evident wires or anything else that connected the stones to any source of power, though, it was always possible that something ran through them underground, or internally. The stones themselves were neatly organized. Some were stacked upon each other, while others were strategically placed around the large open-air bath area. It reminded you of an open-air hot springs onsen from Japan or at times features in anime.

QuoteRoll Sense Motive if you want to get more information about Maban as he works more than a cursory glance.

Maban had nodded, then finished filling up the last of the pools he was working on. Next he began to say a series of words again. "O Fire. Heat from the origins, may it heat, boil, and burn all. Heat." With that, from his hands came forth a wave of heat, he then submerged his hands under the water, and you watched as the water around that area started to boil almost immediately. He moved then as well as he kept his hands in the water, spreading the heat through more of the pool.

Anima mea

This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 1d20+3 : 17 + 3, total 20 perception

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+2 : 3 + 2, total 5[/blockquote] sense Motive

Throndir

[info]Perception (glowing crystals): 20
Inspecting one of the rocks, you realized that each of the crystals wasn't really attached to any of the alcoves. With some effort they could be removed. The crystals had a base that made them easily fit and slip into each of their stone alcoves. Taking one of them out, it still continued to glow. There were no wires or anything from this as well. And due to its almost translucent nature, you could see through most of it, and realized there were no filaments inside either. There were some questions that came out, whether or not the crystal was actually a crystal, or simply had the casing of one, with perhaps some sort of luminous gas inside. However, with what you had seen so far, the next answer was possibly more accurate; it was some sort of magic. Or... at least a phenomenon of magic.

Sense Motive (Maban): 5
You couldn't get a real good feel about Maban. At the very least he took his role seemingly seriously, as setting up a bathhouse this big seemed almost frivolous.[/info]

Anima mea

Diane watches Maban and inspects him casting magic as closely as she can. [blockquote]'d20+3' is not a valid dice string![/blockquote] perception "Magic always seemed to me to be something mystical and in my world, blasphemous.  Although, the glowing Crystal's and the water and heat magic make me curious about whether or not I could combine magic and technology into a single thing.  No doubt it would be hard for a time.  What do you think Maban?" [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+2 : 8 + 2, total 10[/blockquote] sense motive

Anima mea

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+3 : 15 + 3, total 18[/blockquote] perception

Throndir

[info]Perception (Maban's casting of magic): 18
Watching Maban cast his magic. You noticed some sort of glow coming from within his body, around his chest area, move its way to his hands. From there, there were red-glowing orbs that appeared moments before the actual heat wave started to appear. It was also at that moment that those red orbs disappeared the moment the spell was cast.[/info]
QuoteCan you clarify what the Sense Motive attempt was for? If Maban is lying?

"Technology... Back in my own world, we never really needed technology. But... I heard in this one... like what Kayden mentioned earlier. There was once a magic kingdom that made heavy use of magic. The Idorian Magic Kingdom they were called. And they created things they called 'magitools'. Though, I've never seen one personally myself yet. But supposedly the nobles of the Felencorp have the ones that made it out of that country before it was overrun."

"I can't really think of magic as something blasphemous though... For us, the magic we use is granted to us by the goddesses. The goddess of light, air, water, earth, fire, and darkness. Each match with a corresponding element. Light, air, water, earth, fire, and finally darkness. When we cast magic... We make use of something called 'mana' that resides within us, we then form an idea of how we want the spell to be... And words suddenly come to mind. This sort of miracle isn't just limited to the people of my world, the people of this world too experience the same thing. Words appear in your head... and when you recite them, what we call as 'magic' happens. But what the priests of my world call as miracles of the divine goddesses, granted to us mortals by their grace."

"With you being the hero... You should be able to make use of it too." Maban explained as he continued heating up the pools. "We were supposed to save it for tomorrow, but what do you think? Care for a simple lesson?"

Anima mea

Anima mea

Listening intently to the basically theory lesson on magic, she reconciles her mind to the fact that there are two more elements than she recently knew about. As she lets that sink in the offer is made to give her a simple lesson on magic and she shakes her head with a smile, "No, thank you.  I've had to wrap my mind around quite a bit already today and I think at best I'll manage to bathe, eat and perhaps get fitted for armor or be shown a weapon or two before I finally need a significant amount of sleep.  My small nap when I spoked to Gaia isn't going to hold me for much longer than that I fear."

Throndir

QuoteYou can feel free to keep rolling Sense Motives if you like, I'll be assuming they're for lie-detection attempts per post of his dialogue.
[info]Sense Motive (Maban on being deceptive on technology and magic): 10
You could not tell whether or not Maban was being deceptive.[/info]
"That's understandable." Maban said as he continued his work. "Though, if you'd be wanting to rest, it might be best to avoid Kayden after supper as well." The priest smiled wryly to himself. "That knight is fairly driven... That they always clash with Kenver due to it. I don't agree with everything Kayden says too. But it is what it is... You see... The Felencorp, they want you in the capital, where they can keep an eye on you, and restrict what you can do. You're a 'precious resource' to them. They probably wouldn't say it in front of you of course, but that's how all those in the Felencorp are like. It's why they make such shrewd merchants. We knew that if they had us summon you, they'll do everything they can to figure out how to make use of you... Probably for combat and war, which is why Kayden is so driven in having you learn how to fight." Maban explained as he moved on to the next pool.

"For my brother and I though. It's different... Their war isn't our war, even though we are part of this world now. I'm still hoping that one day this village can find itself back in our own world. And you... You're the hero that for generations upon generations the Angwin family have prepared for. You're more than just a resource to us. You see Diane... You're the culmination of hundreds of years of preparation. Our village doesn't have much compared to the resources of the alliance, but... well, if you can excuse me for saying it, you're Chynance village's hero. Not the Felencorp's."

Anima mea

Listening intently to Maban she nods along, her eyes seemingly getting heavier and heavier.  She smiles thirdly and looks Maban in the eyes, "Do you know what I want most?" She doesn't even wait for him to ask she just rambles on, "I want to know what I have to do to go end this war.  I want to go head to head with the demon general or lord.  Let me develop some kind of weapon to just..destroy them. She yawns out the word [reshape] and imagines the word reshape becoming a knife that can cut something physical.