[Jean] Chapter 15: Capital of Drugan, Kherngolarr, Last City of Dwarves

Started by Throndir, June 08, 2019, 12:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

"Weel, faither has bin encouraging me tae fin' a mate, as a'm getting near that age... Bit ye don't juist rush these hings, if thay happen, thay happen."

Date: Day 7 (Jean), Day 9 (Rosalie) - Time: 10:50 PM

"Aye, tis th' only one worth seeing at least. This here be the city of Kherngolarr. We hae a tae o' ither outposts, bit 'ere is whaur we've settled fur th' most hundred years. Th' ruins are at th' bottom... Thir's a place thare that a'm waantin' tae shaw ye specifically, ye bein' a hero 'n' all. A place... that our scholars think that only heroes kin get pass thro'. We don't have a hero summoning circle ye see? Ours wis back in our original kingdom to th' east. Sae, ye'r our best bet."

With the Lili began to lead the way out the platform, and after a set of stairs you found yourselves on another platform. It reminded you off the train stations back on earth, this seemed to be a much busier hub. There were other dwarves there this times around as well. Each of them short and stocky. They all recognized the princess, but many of them stared at you and Ren cautiously. Their accents seemed to be even thicker than Lili's. You were still able to follow along thanks to your translation ability however.

"Princess, wha ur they twa? Outsiders?"

QuotePrincess, who are those two? Outsiders?

"They're mah guests. So if they're mah guests, they'd be royal guests." Lili said.

pringerbeam

"I'm sure you'll find someone.  Beautiful princesses rarely find themselves single forever I would think."  Replied Jean, sitting back to enjoy the rest of the ride.

Jean mostly ignored the other dwarves as he watched the various vehicles zipping along rails throughout the city.  "We're merely some travelers looking to get out of the deathly cold.  Your princess was kind enough to grant us a stay in your city.  How far down does this go?"  He asked as he tried to see how far down the cavern he could see from their current vantage point.  "I guess the tour is up to you your highness.  What are we going to see first?"  He asked, turning back and walking back to rejoin the princess.

Throndir

[info]Perception: 28
There were many lit buildings and homes on the bottom floor. There were buildings and lights from the bottom floor that made up the cavern, all the way to the sides. You could barely see them, but you noticed moving forms at the bottom as well, telling you that it was indeed populated. However, for only 15,000 dwarves, the amount of potential living space here was vast.[/info]"Ye'r a human, aren't ye? Th' foremaist human 'ere." The dwarf shook his head, but chose not to say anything more knowing his place. The rest of the dwarves looked uncertain, though, they all kept quiet, if not a bit uncomfortable as well. Now that you managed to get a good luck at them, many of them wore various accessories. Goggles that seemed to include telescopes on them, or magnifying glasses. Some with gauntlets similar to Lili's, though, a lot more rough and angular. A couple of them had weapon strapped to their back as well.

It was Lili who responded to your question. "Aroond 3,000 ft from th' bottom to th' top." She said pointing towards the lower end of the city-tower, to high above the ceiling.

When the train rolled in, there was one of the cars which contained two dwarves in an armored and mechanized suit. When the rest of the dwarves started filing into the train, these two dwarves started to load one of the cars with a variety of crates and boxes on the car.

QuoteIf you have Knowledge (engineering) or Knowledge (Physical Sciences) you can roll it for more information on either or both about the city and the mech. A roll for each.

"Th' ruins ah wanted to tak' ye. Thir's a section that supposedly says only heroes kin pass thro'. They're at th' the bottom o' th' tower. " She said as she boarded the next train. This would be the 3rd mode of transportation you've taken since coming here. And judging from what she just said, it seemed there was at least one more.

The train wasn't very full of dwarves. There was plenty of space to either sit or stand, however, most of the dwarves looked upon you warily, and there were even a couple of whispers that you managed to overhear. "That them's a human. Na idea whit th' princess is thinking. Th' priests wid be fuming takin wae me an outsider tae kherngolarr..."

pringerbeam

[info]Knowledge: Engineering (Mechs)[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+13 : 16 + 13, total 29[/blockquote]
Knowledge: Engineering (City Construction)[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+13 : 18 + 13, total 31[/blockquote][/info]

"Foremost human, I like that title.  Thanks buddy."  He replied to the dwarf, adding a double finger gun and click of the tongue.  His gaze lingered on the mechanical suits as he followed Lili.  "Now that's is some impressive engineering.  How common are those?" He asked as he boarded the train with her.  "Have you tried expanding into other settlements?  I guess you probably don't need to with how expansive your city is for your population but even with plenty of room surely you need to expand to find new resources.  Actually speaking of resources, what do you eat down here?  How do you grow crops underground?  Or do you not have any vegetation based food?"

Throndir

[info]Knowledge (engineering) (mechs): 29
You had done plenty of reading in the past about engineering in general, and though mechanized suits were really a thing of fiction, you could tell there was a lot of technology involved to make the creation. Looking at the mech, it seemed to make heavy use of hydraulics. There were plenty of pistons in place, specifically around the arms and legs. The dwarf operators on it controlled the suit through one terminal at their right hand, along with two steering handles one either side of them that they could grasp with their hand. However, you couldn't quite tell what the power source could be for the mech. Lili had mentioned the use of electricity and magic to make the lifts and train work, and it was likely that the mech before you used something similar. If the suit did use magic in some way, it wasn't overly noticeable, a similar creation could possibly have been created in your own world just with simple engineering and electricity. Until you got into the actual inner workings of the suit, you weren't able to glean any more information from it.

Knowledge (engineering) (city construction): 31
The construction of the entire cave was breathtakingly complex to say the least. The buildings embedded into the walls themselves meant that the dwarves have mastered construction in hard-to-reach areas. Their entire population could have lived just fine on the ground floor, yet, the dwarves seemed to have chosen to build on the walls on the cavern, telling you that they either had motivation to do so, or building in such a way was trivial to them. Most of your marvel was at the tower at the middle of the large cavern however. It was perhaps the biggest man-made construction you had ever seen, even compared to the ones on Earth. You realized a couple of factors that could affect it. One, being underground, there was no air or wind to contend with. However, it didn't solve the problem of earthquakes, and being underground effects of those would be a lot more turbulent than on the surface as well. If this particular city had been built in the last 100 years, that meant they at least had a few earthquakes hit considering they were at a mountain range where a fault line lay. This meant that the construction method of the dwarves were able to handle each quake well. Lastly, the size of the construction itself would have normally meant that the structure would fall in on itself due to weight and its structural integrity, but the fact it was still standing told you that they're either using some amazing engineering design, or materials that your own world didn't have.[/info]
"Th' suits are fairly common. We found something similar in th' ruins too, broken 'n' in disrepair, bit bad enough components that we managed to reverse engineer bits o' it. 'n' we haven't expanded into other settlements. We never wanted to. Thare are some outlying outposts that we have, bit due to th' batch o' monsters doon 'ere, thay git evacuated often. As fur food thir's a couple o' things... Primarily types o' edible fungus, bats, fish, 'n' vermin lik' beetles, lizards, 'n' rodents that we uise as livestock."

The train zoomed forward, riding along the rails that held it aloft in the air, heading straight to the central city-tower.

pringerbeam

"Huh, sounds tasty.  I look forward to sampling your cuisine."  At mention of this his stomach let loose a dull rumble in protest.  "Maybe sooner rather than later?  Is there something we can get for a snack on the way down to the ruins?  I haven't eaten anything since this morning.  Nothing too much, I'd like to hold off on a full meal until my other companion gets here but I'm famished."  He asked as he looked over the edge of the rails of the train, keeping a firm grip on the rails.  He looked up at the nearing tower.  "So where do you live?  Is you palace at the top of the tower?"

Throndir

Lili nodded her head. "We have a palace, bit only due to insistence from th' rest o' th' clan."

She pointed to the domed structures sitting on top of the city-tower.

"It isn't th' tallest building, that title is reserved tae th' clocktower, 'n' tae be honest, neither me, mah da, or grandpa uise th' palace much. We'd be more inclined wi' practicing our swings, or helping in tunnel fights. Bit ye'r hungry? When we git to th' city proper, we'll mak' a stop at some food stalls for ye and ye're companion."

pringerbeam

"The clock tower..."  Said Jean absentmindedly as he looked to the towering clock's face, checking the time as the train whizzed along.  "I guess keeping time must be important without a sun to tell you if it's night or day.  Does no one venture to the surface on a daily basis?  It seems like without regularly checking the status of the surface it must be hard to tell the time of year...  Actually...  What is your calendar even like?  I don't think I've actually asked how the people I was summoned by mark their years and months, if they even use those same terms." 

Throndir

Lili nodded her head. "Remember that wee outpost at th' peak o' th' mountain earlier? We have plenty o' they along th' peaks o' th' mountains. One o' th' controls for each o' the outposts 'n' shafts are for it to self-destruct, so even if one o' them is compromised, as long as we know, we kin collapse any o' th' tunnels. We don't really associate wi' any o' th' surface dwellers anymore, except for our clerics speaking to th' dryads. We lost tae many o' our people wi' whit's bin happening up there.

But we have 12 months in a year. A month is anythin' from 28 to 31 days. 3 months mak' up a season."

The train was getting closer to the city, and soon enough it had slowed down and stopped. Each of the dwarves continued to eye you warily, and the rest of the dwarves on the platform you had just arrived at also looked at both you and Ren suspiciously, though, their gazes were tampered when they noticed Lili talking with you. More than a couple of them shook their heads. However, none of them decided to approach or talk with you. As for Lili, she ignored the stares from the others, and began to get off the train, beckoning you to follow her.

pringerbeam

"Oh good, that's pretty much what I had back in my old world."  Said Jean as he got up from the bench to follow Lili off the train.  "Speaking of the dryads, I don't suppose you can get your priests to talk to them?  I would like to be able to return to the other mountain without putting any of its people in danger and...  Wait, what've you lost people to one the surface?  I thought you said you didn't fight the demons above."  He asked, paying the stares of the dwarves no mind as he kept at the princess's heel.

Throndir

Lili nodded her head. "Aye. We used to be a million strong. Then most o' our kingdom suddenly vanished. Hundreds o' miles o' mountains suddenly disappeared. Taking wi' it cities, villages, 'n' many o' our people.  Th' only ones left remaining o' th' dwarves o' Velothia are 'ere in this city 'n' some outlying outposts. Ah think thare are other settlements o' dwarves that chose to live on th' surface, not to mention th' ones that chose to live in th' human countries... Bit a don't know o' thaim.  As fur speaking wi' th' priests. I'm not sure if that's a good idea. A'm juist glad we haven't run into any o' th' clerics sae far." She shook her head.

As the three of you (plus the slimeling) ventured into the city, the more an more dwarves you had seen. As you neared each, they all had quieted down to stare at your passing, and many of them whispered to each other. You couldn't help but notice a few hostile glares as well. Eventually you reached what looked to be a market area, with stalls lined up selling food products primarily, though there were clothing, and other goods as well.

pringerbeam

Jean walked up to the first food stall that they encountered and looked at its wares.  "You uh...  Do have money on hand right?  I have no currency to speak of on me.  What do you recommend?"  He asked as he took in the aroma of the food.  "So those dwarves on the surface left the kingdom?  How often do people leave?  How is your population growth?  With migrants leaving and whatever you're fighting down in the tunnels it seems like your people have a lot on their plates maintaining this city.  Starts to make sense that there is a faction that wants to sit back and maintain what you have."

Throndir

The food stall seemed to be selling a type of kebab. At least, according to the displayed food they had on the front. You weren't quite sure if kebab was the correct term either, but it was the closest approximation of it that you could figure out. The bread wasn't the normal color you would have expected, this one was dark, almost purple, and the filling used for it wasn't the normal kebab either. There seemed to be types of mushrooms in it, along with a dark meat of some sort.

"Here's a guid stairt. Mara kebabs. Tis as guid as any." Lili suggested when you neared the food stall. "Three o' th' kebabs, 'n' three o' th' mushroom ales." 

Lili asked as she fished out a few coins from her pouch strapped to her waist, and handed it to the dwarf handling the stall.

"A'richt princess Seadhg. Three kebabs comin' richt up. Fur ye 'n' yer... twa companions." The dwarf looked at you and Ren hesitantly, but he proceeded to quickly create the four kebabs anyways. Eventually, he handed the three of you the finished products, along with three dark ales. The bread used for the kebab, though had a similar texture to unleavened bread, had a taste similar to black truffles. There was some sort of mushroom or fungus in the actual kebab that was black in color, but thin like lettuce. Unfortunately, it didn't have the same crisp as lettuce. There was some sort of clear sauce used in it, that had a slightly salty and sweet taste. Lastly the meat itself was rather gamey and rough to eat, but still edible. Finally the ale given to you in a metallic mug had a distinct taste of mushrooms as well.

"Thir's bin a few o' mah people who decided to go up to th' surface, bit mah father 'n' grandfather have already decided to stay away from th' matters above us. Th' monsters down 'ere kin be tough, bit thay aren't lik' demons. Down 'ere we're free to pursue engineering marvels lik' this town, or th' trains, fur example. Especially after th' ruins were found... Efter that, faither hud decided that th' remainder o' our kingdom wid be down 'ere, where tis safe. At th' same time though, ah know th' surface dwellers have bin at war fur th' last hunner years. Isolating ourselves from everybody wouldn't do us any guid in th' long run... If th' people up thare fall, th' demons wid likely seek us out, richt? Sure, faither hud plans to collapse all th' tunnels to th' surface world, bit... A'm feelin' lik' mah people wid be missing a lot if we did that. Not to mention that ah believe mah people kin really help everybody above. As fur population... Weel... We aren't pure getting bigger, bit at least we're nae getting wee'er either."

pringerbeam

"I see..."  Said Jean as he took a bite of the kebab.  "Mmm!"  He emoted through a partially full mouth.  "This is pretty good.  What is it?"  He asked as he washed it down a with a swig of ale.  "What do you think Ren?"  He took another bite.  As he chewed the meat, his mind went back to the demon they had killed earlier that day.  "Damn...  We should have taken that thing's head as a trophy.  Maybe even checked to see if it was edible.  If we can eat our enemies it would go a long way in helping prevent food shortages.  Guess we'll just need to see next time."  He crammed the rest of the kebab down his throat before chugging the rest of his ale.  "Now that's better.  Sorry, I was really famished.  We can continue the tour.  Though...  One for the road?"  He asked, raising the tankard in a questioning gesture.

Throndir

"Tis a type o' vermin that we uise as livestock down 'ere. They're cried mara." Lili explained as she too took a bite into hers. "'n' aye. Twa more orders o' th' kebabs please." Lili asked the kebab seller again, to which the dwarf grinned and started making more.

Ren too happily dug into hers as the slimeling watched. She had almost devoured the entire thing, but she stopped midway and attempted to give the slimeling some of it. The slimeling tasted it, but it quickly recoiled. "Icky!" It plopped. Ren simply shrugged and continued eating the kebab. Next, using one of the tentacle, she glanced at the ale, and then started to drink it down as well. She stopped at the first sip though, and scrunched up her face. "Master.... it... tastes... weird."

Lili drunk hers down. "Don't lik' th' taste o' alcohol? Ye'll git used tae it."

Soon enough the rest of the kebabs were made.