[Hanako] Chapter 12: Idyllic Days

Started by Throndir, April 23, 2019, 07:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

With cup in both of her hands, she smiled warily.

"Thou have met a goddess? But... Thou is the hero, mayhaps that makes sense. Many of the other valkyrie would die just to meet their goddess." Kari rolled her eyes. "Fools." She said as she shook her head. "I hath prolonged my life through magicks that the rest of the valkyrie forsake. Tis something I hath learned when I was young. I know not how many years ago now, for age simply becomes just yet another number to keep track of. Mayhaps 2,000 years ago? In hindsight, my learning this kind of magic... twas what started mine fall from grace from the rest of mine kin." She placed the cup of tea down, then took a deep breathe.

"The rest of them scorned me for what I was learning. Even the drotten, mine own mother, forsook me. I was banished, to fend against the wolves of winter in the harsh tundras of mine home. At first I despised mine magick, or of pursuing learning it from the wanderer who hath befriended me then. But then... I hath realized that twas the blind devotion to the 'Light' that hath the rest of them forsake others. Mine magic... the magic of death, tis not an evil, nay, but tis a tool. But to the rest of mine kin? Tis an abomination equal to the demons. For a time I lived in the outskirts and fringes of society, I grew accustomed more to traders from the southern human kingdoms, and twas I found tales of the Goddess of Darkness. Her true tales. Not the lies that mine brethren speak when they speak of her."

"Tis true, that the Goddess of Darkness and Goddess of Light are sisters. But that's as far as the relation meets. The Goddess of Light created the valkyrie. Dost thou know how? Thousands upon thousands of years in the past, she hath walked the lands of humans, and made children from them. Their offspring t'would have been the valkyrie. A race of women, where our offspring too become one of art own. She bedded perhaps hundreds of men. And when she was through, the start of the valkyrie began. Tis a Goddess that seeks only pleasure, and though she claims to be of the 'Light', I hath started to see such things more as a mask for true evil-doing."

"Whereas the Goddess of Darkness, ever she be a true ally of the valkyrie, and of men. The Goddess of Darkness receiveth other names from the people of this world. The Goddess of Sin, of Anger, of Hatred, and of all negative emotions. Tis true... I make no battle against such accusations, for mine goddess tis indeed the goddess of all those things. But dost thou know why? A reason more important that the denizens of this world choose to ignore, forget, or rewrite their stories to fit their view. The Goddess of Darkness contains such emotions, she holds sway over them as they occur, and as they weigh on one's consciousness. But that darkness, tis a part of everyone. Even heroes, as blessed by the goddesses themselves, are prone to the taint and darkness that dwells within all of us. The Goddess of Darkness teaches one for controlling such emotions, even it be a part of one's own self. Tis said in some of the oldest scriptures about the goddesses, that the Goddess of Darkness fights too against the demons and their dark master. In her own way. Surely mine goddess knows that her position would give her scorn from the rest of the gods, and their followers, but in mine eyes, ever she is more noble for continuing to choose her path. Tis why I swear my fealty to her. For I, Kari Vollan, know that I am not a perfect valkyrie, nay, I have killed many, and though I wield the powers of death at my beck and call, I let it not rule me. Like any valkyrie, I believeth in justice, honor, and self-worth. Mine enemies art the enemies of mankind... But... Unlike mine own kin, I shalt not stay my blade whenever my kin or any man showeth evil. Thy pet demon tis in such a category, but of course I shalt stand by my word."

Asta

Hanako raised an eyebrow when Kari mentioned her age. 2000 year old loli. Classic trope.

"That sounds... very complicated." Hanako said, when the valkyrie had finished speaking. "Then again I guess it isn't really. Everyone does feel those kinds of emotions, and in the end it's more about how you make use of them that determines if they're bad or not. Just tools, as you said. Your goddess doesn't sound all that bad to me."

She shifted her weight in the chair. "She's half human by the way. I don't know if that really makes a difference since I admittedly have little experience with demons. She seems to struggle with it though, being torn between two different worlds. I don't think she want's to hurt anyone that hasn't mistreated her though."

Hanako leaned forward to rest her head on her hand. "We didn't get off to a great start, but I hope that we can be friends despite that. Whenever you feel comfortable enough, if ever, I'd like to learn some more about the kind of magic you use. I did an... interesting spell the other day that nobody really knew anything about, but the nature of it seemed... uhh, dark? I guess... is the best way to put it? So perhaps I have an affinity for it. Don't know for sure though, a little over a week ago I thought magic was something made up for stories and games."

Throndir

"Half human? That explains why she looks almost human. Truth be told, there art other types of demons which can mimic humans. Succubus type demons for one such example, but theirs is more of a glamour and magic the hide their true selves. Ever since this way started with the demons, I hath heard of half-demons that roam the lands. This is the first I hath laid my eyes on one."

She nodded when you asked about the magic.

"The valkyrie were created to be the guides of man, and though I despise thy choice of willingly bringing demons, half or no, innocent or not, tis a choice fraught with peril. Mine capture, twas only because I fell for the guile of demons. But fear not, hero, I shalt be thy servant, if thou truly art on the side of man. If tis magic that thou wishes to know, speak to me when thou has decided."

With that, the girl picked up her cup of tea, and had once again began to sip on it.

Asta

"That's a gamble I'm willing to make. The stakes will be a little lower in the near future anyway, once things start moving. I dunno if you meant it literally or not, but you aren't really my servant. True, I technically paid money for you but it was really more of a way to ensure you were freed. People aren't property, and I want us to be friends."

Hanako held out her hand amicably. "And I'll be sure to come to you when I get a free moment, I'd love to learn anything you're willing to teach. Also, I might be heading out to do some field work here in another day or so. I could probably use your help, but we'll need to be stealthy and diplomatic at the start though I anticipate the possibility for violence. I can fill you in on the details later if you're interested."

Throndir

The girl reached her hand out to hold yours.

"Let me know when thou plans this 'field work'. I shalt ensure the demons stay far from thee. And those that draw near shalt taste mine blade." She paused for a moment. "Save for thy own demon of course."  She let go of your hand then. "Tis a pleasure to meet the Refedorian hero."

Asta

"I'm not sure if we'll have to fight any demons yet, but it will be reassuring to have you along. Glad to meet you too. I look forward to working together." Hanako said, and then stood up. "I'll see you around the estate, feel free to make yourself as comfortable as you want to be."

She took her leave. There were some other things that she would like to ask Kari about, but they could wait. For now it was just important to establish a rapport. Hanako knew the limits of her own abilities (for the time being) so having a wide pool of allies with unique talents would be essential to everyone's survival. She made her way towards the firing range in the basement, asking a passing soldier to tell Minette that she wanted to have a meeting with all of the major players at the estate later that night.

Down at the firing range she selected one of the mundane weapons with which to train, and joined any of the soldiers that were down there in practice.

[info]Doing two normal sessions of firearms proficiency training.
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+7 : 20 + 7, total 27[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+7 : 20 + 7, total 27[/blockquote][/info]

[info]When training is complete, she'll make her way to whatever room the others meet up in. Provided nothing else happens.[/info]

Throndir

QuoteYou complete Firearms Proficiency after the first session. State something else to train with the second session.

Asta

[info]Starting light armor proficiency for the second training.[/info]

Throndir

Date: Day 11 - 7 PM

QuoteYou have a timeslot from 3PM -> 7PM you can use to help train someone, or attempt Forced Training rules if you'd like.

Training
Light Armor Proficiency: 2/8

Your summons made it around to everyone, and after dinner everyone decided to meet at the first floor's meeting room; the same one that was used for all previous meetings in the past. The instructions were vague enough that almost everyone you knew had appeared. There were more than enough chairs for everyone in attendance.

Asta

Hanako stepped up to the table and glanced around at the slightly-more-crowded than she had intended room with a raised eyebrow.

Well... I guess this is technically all the major players... she thought, more amused than anything else.

She cleared her throat, and waited for anyone that was having a side conversation to stop speaking.

"Friends, I've called you here because I think its time to discuss how we move forward with my plans. Also, coincidentally I'll be going over the broad strokes of the operation to make sure everyone is on the same page. It's been a busy couple weeks and I cant exactly remember who I've told all the details to." she announced, smiling bashfully at her own forgetfulness.

"Anyway, the situation is this..." she began, and launched into a brief recounting of the events of the last eleven days. She then proceeded to outline her plan to leave Refedora in broad strokes; explaining how they were going to shuffle the people Klein had enslaved at other locations to a new lumber mill that was being purchased, claiming they were to be used as labor to build the mill as a cover for the mass migration. She detailed how a deal had been struck with Sofia to acquire ships to transport everyone to Isikawa and then use them to smuggle newly manufactured arms to other countries to fight the demons; how Aldric was to remain at the estate to keep up appearances while Sofia managed the actual Klein company so that there would be a continued stream of revenue making its way to the colony Hanako hoped to make overseas. At last she came to the final part of her plan, the one that she hadn't discussed with anyone, but was sure that by now people had figured it out.

"Using a foothold in Isikawa as a base we are going to mount a guerrilla resistance against the occupation here. Hopefully we will be able to coordinate and cooperate with the Isikawan military and be able to serve as a surgical strike-force and eventually carry out attacks from within Refedora itself from concealed cells of independently operating agents." Hanako explained, then took a breath.

"Does anyone have any questions or concerns?"

Throndir

"I have one darling." Wendy said as she raised her hand. She was sitting to your right, on one of the chairs against the wall. "There's a lot of other slaves and employees of the Klein company at both the moneylending and trinkets storefront and the refining factory that we have in the city. I know we've kept things under wraps of what's happening here in the estate, but how do ya plan to move them? Are we shutting down the factory? Is Sofia replacing all the workers with her own? I know the plan is to downsize the businesses, and pretend to move them to nearer the transport ships. But we can't downsize each part of Klein's company to nothing, that would be too suspicious."

"If I can have my input here?" Aldric said raising his voice hesitantly. "I've been spending my time lately catching up on Klein's businesses, and Minette has been helping me understand how Klein's company worked. I've also been looking at the contract that was signed between Hanako and Sofia... I'm no businessman, it was never a thing I looked into... But I can't help but wonder if we need to make deals again with the Birkensen Trading company. Here me out now. You have what you need to escape: the galleys, the weapons, the goods to smuggle to Isikawa, then me, along with Sofia's employees coming in to 'fill' this estate with a false-life once everyone else has left. But there was nothing in the contract for the rest of the businesses like what Wendy had mentioned. We can probably get away with downsizing some things and moving some workers... But with what I've been reading into Klein's records, this company was very heavy into the mining and refining of metals, and creation of objects afterwards. Believe me, there's many traitors of Refedoria who would be willing to sell their fellow countrymen for their own safety or favors from our demon overlords, if word gets out, it would be horrendous."

"I think... And I'm sorry if this is presumptuous of me, I'm no businessman... But I think we need to think of some way to make it look as if Klein's ventures in his core areas, such as mining and refining aren't completely abandoned. Here's my idea..."

"Klein has enough assets to live a comfortable life without the need for his company. We could have Klein announce retirement, nothing so grand of course, perhaps simply sending that notice to the company's business partners. Sofia could then come in and potentially buy the entirety of the company, not just the 50% of all profits. This would give the company an excuse to shuffle people around. And with how fast the Birkensen Trading Company has expanded in the last few years, I doubt anyone would bat an eye if that company went on to suddenly create new factories and lumber processing mills that just happen to be near the port where we want. We could completely shutdown the foundries and stores here in Elstergen or anywhere else without much suspicion. After all... With a public sale of the Klein company to the fastest growing company in the last few decades, it would certainly be obvious huge changes will come to Klein's company. It would hopefully be enough to mask whatever other activities we might end up doing."

"It's a bit theatrical... But again I'm no businessman. But... If you can keep your audience's eyes and expectations on a pair of characters, they'll never notice the stagehands moving the props right behind them, changing the entire scene."

Asta

Hanako rubbed her chin in thought considering the points being raised. "Mmmm... you may be right." she said hesitantly. "I guess I had assumed that by splitting profits, Sofia would have moved her own workers into the locations we are pulling out from to keep them running. But if she's only taking a slice of the income while providing all of the manpower I could see where that looks like a raw deal on her part. I'll consider it, but giving it all over to her might be the safer choice to serve as a smoke screen of sorts. I'll need to make sure we have the funds to set up the colony if we go that route, then I'll make a decision."

She turned to Minette. "After this can you and Wendy run the numbers and see how well we'll fare with just the assets we can take with us? You know the ones." she said, intentionally being vague about the large chests of coinage that were in the basement. "If we have to start with less, we are going to need to figure out a way to become self sufficient quickly with the number of people we plan to leave with. A group of starving refugees showing up in a foreign land is a lot less favorable than a group of people that can actually contribute to a local economy."

Hanako turned her focus back to the group. "Anyone else?"

Throndir

Minette nodded as Wendy's eyes lit up. Elyse Dietrich spoke next.

"I have one. When do you plan to leave the estate? I have instructions from Frau Leiningen to accept any of the Birkensen employees coming in to replace what we have here. Not too many at one time to avoid suspicion, at the same time, we need to ensure there are enough of Frau Leiningen's men to continue to maintain the site, and to put on airs for any future meeting with officials, or contracts to be created from our fake Herr Klein. Apart from me and the men that came with me, along with the men that came with Aldric, we have another few more soldiers coming in the next few days to continue filling the void in. If need be, I can request Frau Leiningen to send the men sooner."

Asta

"I can't give you a specific day yet, the logistics for moving all these people onto the ships without being detected still need to be figured out. The man who runs the port town is a crony for the demons and I assume his power is largely symbolic so manipulating him wont have much effect if the demon presence in the town is heavy enough. It's easily the largest hurdle from where I can see. If anyone has a suggestion I'm more than willing to listen. Though I've been musing over it myself. Ideally the sooner we can be prepared and make the move the better, but I have something in the area I need to investigate first."

Throndir

Elyse nodded though had nothing more to say. Looking around the rest too had no more questions.