[Jean] Chapter 14: Escape from the Treants

Started by Throndir, May 27, 2019, 12:53:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pringerbeam

[info]Perception check[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+17 : 14 + 17, total 31[/blockquote][/info]

Throndir

At your pace, you kept your ears alert and listening, and that was when you realized that the treants were closing the distance to you. At this particular pace, you knew it wouldn't be long until they actually caught up.

QuoteDid some quick math, and I'd have to shorten the travel time to 30 minutes, until you get the description above.

Current journey
60 minutes (600 rounds) west, at 60 ft per round (hustle).
30 minutes (300 rounds) west, at 40 ft per round (walk).

[include u=2]1 hour west, at 60 ft (hustle)
1 hour west, at 60 ft (hustle)

Nonlethal damage taken: 1, Fatigued

Distance away from first Treants: 6,000 ft.[/include]

pringerbeam

"I think they're getting closer to us."  Said Jean as he listened to the approaching march of the treants.  "When they get here, be careful and don't attack immediately.  I'm going to see if I can talk to them this time but if this goes south we all jump on Gust and get out of here as fast as we can."  Jean kept walking west, keeping at the ready and trying to keep an ear on their pursuers.

[info]Continuing west at walk rate[/info]

pringerbeam

[info]Perception Check[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+17 : 15 + 17, total 32[/blockquote][/info]

Throndir

QuoteRoll Perception, area is Medium Forest

As you continued walking, keeping your eyes and ears alert. That was then you caught sight of something moving further behind you. You walked a couple more steps honing in on the movement, and that was then that you realized it was the trees. They had caught up. They seemed to slow their march as they neared. Choosing so slow their movement in order to more easily blend into the forests around them. They would move quickly, then stop and pause whenever you would look around. But you had already caught sight of them. There were many of them, and the closest ones was about 90 ft. behind you. With the number of moving shapes behind you, there was at least 10. However, from the sounds you were hearing further behind, there was much more that was incoming.

Dalina and Ren, on Gust, hadn't been able to catch the movements yet, and they continued keep up the pace with you, with Gust on the ground, but occasionally flapping his wings to continue keeping up his pace with you.

QuoteCurrent journey
60 minutes (600 rounds) west, at 60 ft per round (hustle).
30 minutes (300 rounds) west, at 40 ft per round (walk).

[include u=2]1 hour west, at 60 ft (hustle)
1 hour west, at 60 ft (hustle)

Nonlethal damage taken: 1, Fatigued

Distance away from first Treants: 0 ft.[/include]

pringerbeam

"They're here."  Said Jean to Ren and Dalina as he slowed and turned around to face the trees.  "Weight Control!"  He decreased is his weight to prepare to dodge any incoming boulders.  "Halt!  I demand an audience with your leader!"  He shouted, keeping an eye one the trees that were trying to hide.  "I know you're there and I have been told you are lead by the dryads.  I will not negotiate with anything less than the leader of the dryads."

[info]Weight Control to decrease Jean's weight by 15 steps for 30 MP

Diplomacy roll assuming it's needed[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+12 : 10 + 12, total 22[/blockquote][/info]

Throndir

QuoteGoing to try to be following PF Diplomacy rules more closely rather than the way I used to do it (a lot more just judging by result rolled), though I'll still add circumstantial modifiers depending on what's been said/etc. As reference: Pathfinder: Diplomacy. Basically, targets with high CHA or hostility will be harder to convince/sway.

Ren and Dalina immediately took flight, with Dalina guiding Gust upwards, and Ren wrapping her tentacles around Dalina from the sudden change of movement. At that same time too, with the treants realizing you had caught sight of them, they had begun to pick up boulders, rocks, and even fallen trunks. You knew exactly what was coming.

QuoteInitiative requested

pringerbeam

[info]Initiative[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+23 : 3 + 23, total 26[/blockquote][/info]

Throndir

QuoteJean to take turn

Initiative Order: Jean 26, Ren 9, Dalina 5

pringerbeam

Jean leapt backwards to watch the various hurled objects crash where he was standing just before.  "Alright, time to go!"  He shouted as he ran up to Gust.  He leapt up jump on to Gust's back with the others.

[info]Acrobatics in case it's needed[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+32 : 5 + 32, total 37[/blockquote][/info]

Throndir

You were extremely light. In fact, jumping made you simply zoom up into the air. You weren't expecting that kind of reaction, so Ren had to take hold of you tightly in her arms, then place you down next to her. You hardly weighed a thing, and even Ren was surprised that you weighed nothing. She could feel herself wrap around you, but there didn't seem to be any resistance or drag as she jostled you back down.

Before Dalina could give directions, Gust took the initiative and lifted off. His flight unhampered, he weaved his way around the boulders, rocks, and logs that were thrown at him. Altogether, there were 14 projectiles. He managed to dodge many of them, but all three of you winced whenever one of the projectiles would hit. At times Gust would swerve out of the way to soften the blow with his armor deflecting most of it, however there was at least 2 times where he took the full brunt of the damage.

Ren then proceeded to stretch her tentacles out, forming a metallic shield for Gust facing towards the treants. Lastly Dalina began casting her own spell as well.

"Goddess of Air! Let your merciful wind endure, lest the dangers of the world strike. Guide dangers away from your servants Wind Shield!" With that a gust of wind started to encircle all around Gust. Ren held everyone tightly down, and had even wrapped herself more closely towards Gust. Four of her tentacles were used as shield. One tentacle wrapped around Gust. Another tentacle held the slimeling. Then her last two tentacles held you and Dalina.

"Master... I don't like... heights..." Ren said, her face a bit bluer than usual.

QuoteJean to take turn

Distance from Treants: 290 ft.
Initiative Order: Jean 26, Gust: 23, Treants: 19, Ren 9, Dalina 5

pringerbeam

Jean held onto Gust with his legs as best he could, holding an arm each around Ren and Dalina, trying to fight the buffeting winds.  "Just fly us as high as you can so that we are out of range of their ability to throw stuff at us!"

[info]I don't think there are any actions that Jean is able to take  if he is occupied with riding Gust.

STR check in case it's needed to fight the wind/hold on.[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+11 : 2 + 11, total 13[/blockquote][/info]

Throndir

You felt yourself being buffeted by the winds. And swayed easily from side to side. You felt like a balloon. Thankfully, Ren had her tentacles wrapped around you tight and wasn't letting go. Gust's flight was strained, and as you were jostled back and forth, you could see blood pouring from beneath his armor. He continued to fly straight up again.

Another barrage of projectiles came flying from the ground as well, each of them aiming surprisingly well considering the distance. However, instead of just 15 projectiles, there were 25 this time around. These ones coming from a more northern direction. Gust barely dodged all of the large boulders. He was already bleeding profusely, and one more shot would have taken him out.

QuoteMade a mistake on Gust's speed, so it's corrected below. He's flying 320 ft. per round, with run, using 3.5 rules as Pathfinder is unclear with flying and running. Gust is normally 80 ft.

Distance from Treants: 680 ft.
Initiative Order: Jean 26, Gust: 23, Treants: 19, Ren 9, Dalina 5

QuoteAssuming you have no other actions

Gust continued to soar up in the sky, and finally you were beyond the range of the treants, hovering at about 1,000 ft. in the air.

pringerbeam

"Well that was sufficiently harrowing..."  Said Jean as they soared over the forest.  "I guess the treants weren't that big on diplomacy."  He said, hugging Ren and Dalina.  While he was sure that Ren's grip was steely enough that he wouldn't fall he still was uncomfortable with the feeling of being so weightless it was as if a stray breeze would send him flying away out of control.  "I wonder what it was that made them attack us in the first place.  Alyona said they don't usually do anything to travelers in the woods..."

Throndir

"I'm not sure either." Dalina said. "Gust though... he's badly hurt. I didn't think about bringing my pack with me when we left to help Amie's village, but I didn't think we'd end up side-tracked this much." Dalina admitted. "Which direction are we going?"