[Carrie] Chapter 3: The Leaders of Thura Forest

Started by Throndir, January 29, 2019, 04:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erynn

As all three of the assembled clan matriarchs simultaneously catch on to what Carrie was planning, she grins.

"Yes.", she confirms, "That's precisely the idea. To be quite frank, when I was first made aware that your people had so many different clans that possessed physical abilities above and beyond the human norm I could scarcely believe that this occupation hadn't suffered greater losses."

Carrie pats Synithise' hand, acknowledging her gesture before continuing, "Yes, that's exactly why I was interested in summoning an earth elemental. As for using a summoned hero as a banner to flock to, that might not necessarily be the best idea. Synithise tells me that if the Felencorp United Alliance were to know that a hero had been summoned, they would stop at nothing to secure that individual for themselves. For the time being, I don't believe it wise to make the presence of a hero in Darmona known beyond the minimum extent to which it becomes necessary."

Carrie pauses both to gauge the reactions of the two visiting leaders as well as to emphasize the gravity of the situation.

"The gathering of all the clan leaders in this country was intended to discuss the selection of a new leader for what remains of this country in order to have a central authority to unify around.", Carrie explains, "However if it turns out that everyone wants to rally around a summoned hero, we encounter a catch 22. Keeping the existence of a summoned hero a secret from Felencorp while simultaneously making that same existence a banner to follow will present...... unique challenges. It would become very difficult for me to move about this country freely should my face become widely known. Right now, I know very little of the world I've suddenly found myself in. Ideally, I'd like to observe the culture of our enemies first hand in order to better understand their mindset. This war will be won or lost depending on the information we're able to gather and sift through, and my primary role as a soldier in my own world was covert reconnaissance. Moving among the enemy undetected would be an incalculably great boon."
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Throndir

Jasna nodded solmenly.

"They came in quickly. Within the first few days of arriving here when we were still figuring out what had happened, soldiers from the Felencorp started to sweep over the country, from all our borders, except the east. As it stands, our country only has two large cities that made it to this world, and that was the primary target that the soldiers had occupied. After that our countrymen either went into hiding, and those that resisted had their villages raided."

Synthise agreed with your sentiment.

"This is why I call her by her name, rather than her title as a hero!" Synthise said looking at the other two leaders carefully. "It is true, that the moment we announce we have a hero that we, the Lamia Priestesses, have been hiding, there will be repercussions. Even if the Felencorp can't get their hands on Carrie herself... Well, they'd probably start burning and threatening villages and tribes until they get their hands on her."

Eveleen reclined back into the chair, she had since placed her head back on top and her eyes were deep in thought.

"What you are suggesting is a leader... Those tribe leaders that voiced dissent in the first few months of our arrival had been executed. Most other tribe leaders either went into hiding, like the three of us did, or simply chose not to paint a target on their backs, and follow our new oppressors."

"Heroes are generally well-respected by our countrymen... And regardless of race or kind, our people will follow them. however Carrie, if you would suggest for Darmona to select a leader among their own. Perhaps it will be one from the Harpy races. The royal family was a line of Harpy Matriarches. This option will probably win most of the populace."

"Then, there are nightwalkers, such as us, the Dullahan, or the vampires, who are said to be of noble lineage too. The potential problem with that however, is that our race can be one that lives on for eternity, a never-ending seat of power can have both its pros and cons. Not to mention that in terms of raw physical and combat abilities, it's the nightwalkers that stand above the rest. "

"Next, any of the leaders from the various beastmen tribes could work, as they are generally charsimatic as much as they are ruthless."

"Lastly, there are the mer-people. Specifically the Mermaid. The all-female race had many close ties with the royal family in the past. Where the Harpy Royal family ruled above the ground, and were officially known as the leaders of our nation, the Mermaids governed the rest of our kingdom under water. They are not land-locked either, as they can freely transform their fins to walk amongst us. They too exude a nobility much like the vampires."

Erynn

As Eveleen disclosed that nightwalkers stood head and shoulders above the rest of Darmona's people in combat, Carrie had her question as to the presence of only two bodyguards answered. 'Well, that's useful information.' Carrie thought to herself before speaking on the rest of what she had just learned,

"It sounds to me like politics between the various tribes could get quite messy, and knowing that some tribes have simply fallen in line before Felencorp's jackboot brings up the issue of information security. We have to consider the possibility that those who've declined to resist the enemy may be compromised by the enemy. The last thing we need is to have an informant attending while we're in the process of selecting a new leader. If there are any doubts in any of your minds about any who would be in attendance, we'll need to do everything in our power to either put those doubts to rest, or to confirm them as the case may be. The selection of a new leader will be a vulnerable moment in the opening stages of this insurgency."

Carrie then turns to Jasna specifically, "We'll need to contact any tribe that will be particularly adept to assist us in creating our subterranean infrastructure. We should also make an effort to watch over those in transit to our location. We'll want to know if Felencorp personnel are shadowing any of their parties. Your people will be best suited to facilitating secure communication and aerial reconnaissance for the moment, so I'll be counting on you for a great deal."

Carrie now addresses Eveleen in turn, "Dullahan cavalry strike me as being the best possible rapid reaction force one could possibly ask for. If the shit hits the fan, we'll be relying on your people to gather the enemy's attention long enough for an escape to be made by either a shadowed party or those here if the meeting becomes compromised. Our priority in the event of enemy contact will be to survive and escape, not to inflict damage. As previously stated, we're trying to avoid being present when the enemy suffers losses so we don't take losses ourselves. The simple fact of the matter that we must at all times bear in mind is that we can't defeat them in a pitched battle on an open field. Allowing ourselves to be pinned in place or entrapped will spell death."

Carrie finally addresses Synithise, "You know these tunnels better than anyone. If Felencorp shows up, we'll be relying on you to lead an evacuation effort. Hopefully, we won't need to put an evacuation plan into action, but planning ahead will save lives if it does become necessary."

"Of course, the big question will be whether or not the various tribe leaders will cooperate, or if we're in for front row tickets to political chaos...", Carrie's tone following this last statement carries a degree of cynicism mixed with genuine curiosity.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Throndir

Jasna nodded.

"I can begin sending scouts over to the tribes who have more-willingly shut themselves away from the Felencorp. As for those who can help with the underground network, I'll begin sending scouts to seek them out as well." Jasna then turned towards Synithise. "Matriarch Synithise, are you still able to send correspondences with the Royal Seal?"

Synithise paused for a moment, but eventually nodded.

"On behalf of the country, yes, I still have that authority." Synithise responded. "With the fact most of our country vanished, its authenticity might be called into question... but why do you ask?"

Jasna turned towards you.

"In this way, we can relay messages to other tribes, with at least a degree of credibility. But again..." Jasna bowed her head towards you. "If you think this is wise, we can proceed with this. Otherwise, messages will be relayed through spoken words instead."

"Do not worry Carrie... The dullahan and I will be by your side through life and death."

Each of the three leaders looked visibly more vibrant than they did when you first gathered in the room. Even the two batfolk guards who tried their best to be impassive seemed to be paying rapt attention to the conversation. Everyone's eyes were a glow with hope.

Erynn

Carrie listens and nods in approval as Jasna elaborates on her intended course of action, and puts forth a suggestion.

"That's a sound idea, though any messages conveyed on a physical medium should include instructions to destroy the message once read.", Carrie explains, "Any documentation that could serve as evidence of our plans can't be allowed to fall into enemy hands."

Carrie then turns toward Eveleen as she hears a sentence uttered expressing a deeper allegiance than she had been expecting to inspire during the course of the meeting, and responds accordingly.

"I'm glad to hear such an expression of solidarity.", Carrie admits, "I was initially concerned that being human would put you ill at ease, so I find myself relieved that it wasn't an issue."

Carrie pauses a moment before her curiosity finally gets the better of her. A behavior that she had observed over the course of the entire meeting was still ongoing, and she couldn't help but wonder about the 'why' behind it.

"I'd actually like to ask you a completely unrelated question if you don't mind.", Carrie informs Eveleen, explaining the sudden request, "I couldn't help but notice that not even once during this whole meeting have you broken eye contact with me. I'm curious if there might perhaps a specific reason behind that, or if there was something you want to say, or maybe ask me?"

Carrie waits patiently for a response, her expression faintly resembling the gaze of a curious cat. As much as Carrie enjoys experiencing other cultures, the real draw for her was making new friends through that process. She hoped that she might be able to learn a bit more about the Dullahan matriarch, given how closely they would no doubt be working together in the future.

Throndir

"Was I?" Eveleen said off-handedly, though as before, she continued to keep her eyes on you. In another moment, she smiled. Though, it wasn't a warm smile that you would expect from someone like Synithise, it seemed to be a curious smile, like how one would smile at something interesting or fascinating.

"You're an attractive specimen for a human," Eveleen said. "But not for the ideals you are probably thinking of." She hurriedly explained.

"There's a thick aura of death around you. Perhaps of what you had been through, or... what you will be bringing." Her eyes, never blinking continued to take your form in. "To the Dullahan, there's nothing more enticing."

Eventually however, she broke eye contact perhaps for the first time, and bowed her head.

"You should expect a similar reaction from the rest of my people, and others who are as keenly tuned to death as my people are."

Erynn

"Yeah, the could definitely be recent events.", Carrie replies with a sudden monotone as she considered the possible causes Eveleen had laid out for an aura of death, "There's more than one way I can think of just off the top of my head."

Carrie's expression had changed suddenly at the mention of what she had been through. Being reminded once more of the purple crystalline creatures and what they had done at Paris Island had brought a 'thousand-yard stare' to the young marine's face again as unpleasant images forced themselves to the forefront of her mind.

Carrie simply nods in acknowledgment, while making a mental note of the fact that she'd no doubt be a giant beacon to anything or anyone attuned to death. As unpleasant as the current mental images were for Carrie, she was still curious. The Dullahan were an object of cultural fascination for her, and she continued her line of inquiry.

"I can't help but wonder what makes an aura of death so enticing.", she explains, "That's a difficult perspective for me to even imagine. Though, I suppose it might be less so if I were sensitive to such...."

Despite the sudden shift in Carrie's tone and demeanor, her curiosity continues to be betrayed by the thought process taking place aloud.

Throndir

"Each member of the tribe of the nightwalkers radiate an aura of death. It's not always visible. In fact, there are many who can't sense it either. Sometimes the live ones describe it as a chill they feel, something similar to fear. But it's different than that too. Let's see..." She paused for a moment.

"The dullahan consume the life or spirit of individuals, once we partake of a meal, all that's left is a husk. Likewise, creating more of us is a process attuned to death; where our life begins, an existing one ends. The other nightwalkers too have their own aura of death around them. The intelligent undead whether powered by magic, or through other means, their 'life' is death. For the vampires who must consume blood, and to turn more into their own kind, they must effectively 'end' the life of another. What makes you enticing is just that."

"You aren't a nightwalker, but that feeling of death weighs heavily around you."

"Though... I have seen other beings in a similar state, though, not as defined as yours. People coming back from atrocities to their village, and circumstances like those."

Erynn

As Carrie listens to Eveleen explain the aura of death to her, she recognizes, to her surprise, that she has experienced the very 'chill' described. That macabre sensation one gets when looking at a dead body, or skeletal remains. Carrie found that she knew the sensation all too well, but also found that she had been completely oblivious to the fact that Eveleen was no doubt giving off such an aura at that very moment. That she had been oblivious to the fact she herself was giving off one such aura. Perhaps being immersed in her own aura of death had dulled her senses, she reasoned.

At the mention of exposure to atrocities being sufficient to cause a living being to exude an aura of death, the images flooding through Carrie's mind began flashing before her eyes, and she began to hear the chaotic din of battle once again. She knew full well that what she was seeing and hearing wasn't real, but to her eyes and ears, the sounds of metallic and crystalline screeching punctuated by the staccato bursts of automatic weapons fire were indistinguishable from the real deal, save for the knowledge that she was nowhere near the battlefield that was replaying itself before her. As her senses were assaulted by the experience of the battle for a second time, Carrie's expression changes once more, a pained frown appearing as she grits her teeth, trying to ride out the hallucination. It, unfortunately, doesn't cease, nor does it show any signs of doing so. Carrie then makes a conscious effort to return her mental focus to the world around her by speaking. She barely hears herself speaking at first, but despite persistent visual hallucinations the auditory component begins to subside.

"You've likely hit the nail on the head in more ways than one.", Carrie begins, her frown twisting uncomfortably into a morbidly amused half-grin, "Both in regards to one life ending and another beginning, whether you look at it metaphorically or literally, and with respect to witnessing hell on earth. It has been......perhaps not quite twenty four hours since I left my world, and I didn't leave it peacefully. Not even close. No,...... I left my world after fighting against overwhelming odds and an inhuman, purple enemy that left me likely the last person standing after they had shredded and piled all of my fellow soldiers around me."

Carrie then began laughing in an unsettling, pained fashion as she thought about all the friends that she had lost over the course of the short, bloody battle before speaking once more as a single tear rolled down her cheek.

"There really was no winning that one, was there?"

The question wasn't spoken for the benefit of anyone else, and was rhetorical in nature. It was more a moment of acceptance for Carrie that there truly was nothing more that she could have done to save the Marines and recruits at Paris Island. It finally hit home for her that the battle hadn't actually been a contest, but was instead a last stand much like Thermopylae and the Alamo before it. A deep despair began to set in as Carrie's vision slowly cleared of hallucinatory images. Her best hadn't been enough because Nobody's best would have been enough.

Throndir

Whether or not you had realized it, the moment you had started to laugh in your unsettling and pained fashion, Synithise began to reach out for you.

"I'm not sure what there was to winning, Carrie... But... It'll be okay. Things here will be different." Synithise said, speaking softly as she attempted to wrap her arms around you in a gentle embrace.

QuoteAny resistance, and Synithise will stop her action.

"I don't know what happened back in your own world, or who you left behind, and I know all of this might seem so much for you right now. But at least... But at least I'll be here every step of the way. Or I'll die trying!" She said, trying to force a smile.

Both Eveleen and Jasna had different reactions to your outburst and Synithise's attempt to comfort you. Jasna glanced away, choosing not to look towards you, perhaps in a way to show respect or space.  Though likely, it may have been a sense of awkwardness at seeing the private and raw display of emotion. As for Eveleen, she only started to stare at you even more intensely than before, her eyes unblinking as she captured your every movement.

"Overwhelming odds?" Eveleen echoed. "Were there... circumstances in your own world?"

Erynn

As Synithise tried to comfort Carrie, Carrie noticed that for the first time since they had met, Synithise was having trouble managing a smile. The bubbly, compassionate personality that Carrie was familiar with appeared to be slipping a bit as the young soldier tried rather unsuccessfully to manage her grief over the ordeal she had recently been through, as well as the pain that losing so many close friends had caused her. Carrie briefly tensed though when Synithise uttered the phrase, "Or I'll die trying!" She had no desire to lose any more friends and the idea of losing the first friend she appeared to have made since arriving in this new world caused her a not insignificant degree of anxiety.

The words that truly got Carrie's attention though came from Eveleen. As Carrie herd her own words echoed back to her, her gaze met Eveleen's directly once again, a bit of confusion mixed with irritation added on top of what she was already feeling. As Eveleen directly inquired further about the events in her own world, Carrie's outward expression rapidly flashes between subtle involuntary expressions of shock, exasperation, frustration, anger, anxiety, fatigue, curiosity, confusion, and finally resignation as she briefly facepalms. With a deep breath and a correspondingly deep sigh, she responds.

"Circumstances is an understatement for the ages.", Carrie begins before inquiring after Eveleen's motive in continuing to press for further information despite the obvious pain that recalling the event was causing, "What exactly is so important for you to know that you're willing to ask me to essentially relive the event in recounting it?"

Carrie hadn't meant for her voice to convey quite as much emotion as it had at the tail end of the question, and the emotion evident was anger.

Throndir

Eveleen's eyes continued to stare at you, and it was a few more moments until she finally responded.

"Forgive me, hero..." Eveleen said as she forcefully pulled her eyes off of you. "You shine ever so brightly to me eyes, and more so with these emotions you no doubt are feeling. I meant no disrespect, and as matron and tribe leader of the Dullahan of Thura forest, I shall take care of..." She licked her lips. "... being drawn towards you. The Dullahan's ways are much different than many of the people in these lands. Though, it is the idea of diversity and acceptance that binds us all into a coherent society. For us, even our show affection is a process akin to consuming part of another's soul or souls. A painful process for mortals, though, only a slight prick for the Dullahan."

Erynn

As it became clear that the meaning behind Eveleen's stare was deeper than originally disclosed, Carrie immediately felt guilty at the revelation and Eveleen's withdrawal. Carrie immediately spoke up, hoping to clarify the situation,

"Look, I'm not actually angry. I'm just in a very painful place emotionally.", Carrie explained, the regret she felt over not keeping a better handle on her emotions evident in her voice, "I'm not trying to lash out of push you away. I just don't know hardly anything about this world or the cultures that exist within it. I've clearly made the mistake of judging the situation by my own cultural standards because I don't yet have another point of reference. Culture shock like this is all but inevitable when being suddenly immersed in a culture completely different to one's own."

Carrie then realized that Eveleen had emphasized the word souls. Souls. Plural.

"Wait a tic. Did you just say that people can have more than one soul?"

Carrie's expression was now a mix of shock, wonder, and intense curiosity, clearly conveying that the subject matter of the statement was a completely foreign concept to her. The sudden arrival of a new and exciting potential discovery had managed to divert Carrie's mind from the painful memories she had been dealing with only moments before.

Throndir

Eveleen nodded. "In a way. When a Dullahan is... created. It is from a fresh corpse. Whether or not the subject is unwilling or not, the process can still work. Though, those that are unwilling generally become something more akin to ghouls as their souls themselves reject their new existence. During a ritual that the Dullahan initiate, the souls of all other Dullahan present inhabit the body, sharing memories, thoughts, and our history with the new Dullahan. The result is that we leave something of our own soul into the new Dullahan."

"It's in this way that the Dullahan have shared souls. And it's why... when we share in affection, we take part of another's soul. To fully understand and know them. Of course, for those we care about we don't consume the entirety of the soul. But at the same time, it is detrimental to one's health. The older Dullahan members are less 'themselves' and more of... 'everyone else'. When we consume souls... and we did, many hundreds of years ago when the country of Darmona was not yet founded, that process chooses less of an integration of the subject's soul to our own, and more of a consumption." Eveleen continued to eye you, and eventually smiled. "I never thought I would be discussing as private matters of the Dullahan to the hero today, but I suppose it was to be expected."

Eveleen then strode up to you, her eyes locked into yours for as long as you held them, and even if you had looked away, Eveleen would continue staring.

"The process can be reversed too... Rather than your soul being drawn out, my soul can be consumed by you." Her eyes had a slight almost predatory look to them. "Would you like the taste of a Dullahan's soul?"

Erynn

As Eveleen describes part of how a new dullahan comes to be, as well as how they show affection, Carrie listens with not insignificant fascination. The truth behind the dullahan legends was stranger than fiction but far more interesting. Of particular note to Carrie was the way that shared souls, as well as consuming part of a soul, seemed to convey some degree of understanding of the individual involved. The concept struck her as rather pointedly simplifying a great many social interactions between two individuals who shared a portion of each other's soul.

As Eveleen approached Carrie, offering an opportunity to experience that particular cultural practice, the young Marine couldn't help but wonder if such a thing was appropriate given the circumstances. She just as quickly realized once more that she had no cultural point of reference by which to judge the scenario, and decided to trust Eveleen's judgment that it was. The idea did intrigue Carrie, but the sharing of information between the two individuals that would result was still presenting Carrie with a bit of a dilemma. On the one hand, it would undoubtedly benefit Carrie to learn more about Eveleen and her people. On the other, if Carrie were to reciprocate, two possible issues immediately presented themselves. The first, and most obvious issue being that Carrie's current headspace might wind up causing Eveleen some distress. The second being that information regarding her own world might wind up being shared.

After considering Eveleen's offer for a few moments, Carrie rises from her seat to meet Eveleen's gaze more closely, then speaks.

"All right,", Carrie begins to respond tentatively, before becoming somewhat firmer in tone, "But if this is something you're interested in going both ways, I'm giving you fair warning right now. Consuming a part of my soul will likely present you with a very strange and psychologically trying experience. Don't go into this unprepared."

Carrie pauses a moment for emphasis before continuing, her curiosity evident, "That aside, how exactly does this work?"