[Jean/Rosalie] Chapter 12: Rescue Operation

Started by Throndir, April 13, 2019, 11:54:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pringerbeam

Jean squinted in the whipping wind and reached out to grip Alyona's front claws.  "Thank you lady Alyona.  Vitaliya, I'll see you at the village!"  He shouted as the dragon took off.

Throndir

QuoteWe can just paraphrase on direct plans, but here's what it is so far, let me know if I have anything wrong:
  • Rosalie heading down the mountain to distribute swords to the other 25 dragon knights. Diplomacy requested If success, they'll follow you obediently. You'll get a hidden bonus from the work you've done earlier to train them.
  • 15 minutes for Captain Charles to head down the mountain to start readying the men.
  • Another 15 for Charles to get the rest of the foot soldiers readied with wagons and horses.
  • Vitaliya to take off with Combat Wind Priests, totaling 25, on their birds. Will be following Jean. Diplomacy requested If success, they'll follow you obediently. If you choose actual Trainees, rather than Teachers, then you'll get a hidden bonus to the roll, confirm which one you wanted Vitaliya to bring. (Teachers will be a few levels higher than the Trainees).
  • Dalina with Ren taking off, to follow Jean.

Oath

Rosalie grabs hold of her partner as she takes off, wings beating wind into the ground. She grips tightly as Valeriya dives down the mountain towards the camp. Even though she know she can, Rosalie is afraid to lift her head and take in the views. Moments later, Valeriya comes to a halt, her wings beating in the air above camp. Trainees gathered below, curious what was going on.

Rosalie stood on Valeriya's back, holding one of the enchanted swords high into the air and throwing it down into the ground.

"It has been decided that Valeriya, and myself along with the hero of the Wind Priests and some of his companions will be lending aid to Amie's village. We would like some of you brave men to join us on our quest! Many of us do not know the features of the area. You may think that you won't be useful because you're not a hero yourself, but you would be mistaken. Each of you has a unique skill. knowledge that others do not. Some of you know the woods and trails like the back of your own hand. Some of you may excel with husbandry, knowing how each and every horse in the stable behaves, and what can calm them down when they're scared. Each and every one of you can bring something to our effort.

We have blades as this one in the ground, that are enchanted to be effective against demon kind. It will enhance your prowess in combat. Captain Charles is on his way down the mountain as I speak with more weapons. We should have at least 25 such swords to distribute among those who choose to join us. If you are willing to help save an innocent village that has not the means to protect itself, step forward. You have my word that each and every one of you will make it home safely with new bonds forged through combat and a new ally in a village that you helped defend. Who is with me?!"

Rosalie drew her own blade and held it towards the sky, letting out a cheer.

[info]
Diplomacy
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+9 : 13 + 9, total 22[/blockquote]
[/info]

pringerbeam

Jean turned, dangling from Alyona's claws to look at the priests that Vitaliya had chosen to bring.  "Well here it is: the moment you've all been waiting for!  You have sat on your island for years preparing to face an enemy you have only heard tales of, an enemy that will kill you without hesitation."  Wind continued to whip around Jean and he had to spit out an errant hair that made its way into his mouth.  "I don't know most of you and I'm sure my reputation precedes me so here's the deal:  I don't care what you do as long as you try and save as many of the land-dwellers as you can.  I'm not here to earn your respect, your obedience, or your loyalty.  I'm here to kick ass and kill demons.  So let me be the first to welcome you to heaven and hell: where heroes die!  I hope you've all prayed to the goddess!"

[info]Taking instructors

Diplomacy[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+2 : 10 + 2, total 12[/blockquote][/info]

Oath

[info] requested acrobatics check
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+10 : 11 + 10, total 21[/blockquote]
[/info]

Throndir

Jeans's Perspective
Date: Day 7 (Jean), Day 9 (Rosalie)

The gathered wind priests that Vitaliya took with her looked to be a variety of the instructors. They ranged in ages, though, you could tell they were either near Vitaliya's age, or in one case, older. In fact, you recognized him almost immediately.

"It's the fault of the land-dwellers to get caught up with the demons. But to vanquish them under the name of the goddess is something we have all been preparing for."

He, along with Vitaliya took flight, followed by 23 others that hovered in place.

"We've all prayed to the Goddess." He said, locking eyes with you.

Vitaliya, noticing the tenseness hovered closer to the front of the group.

"Ve're going to give zem hell!"

QuoteVitaliya will be commanding the fighters from the priests.

Rosalie's Perspective

The dragon knights were confused at first as you descended from the mountain, hovering above them all, standing on top of Valeriya. It took a few moments, but many of the dragonknights, both those with their dragons, and those without, started to gather. You launched into your speech then as the men below listened.

At first the soldiers were hesitant, but as you described the need for them, one by one they had stepped forward. When you called out who would follow, every soldier in the camp cheered.

It was Thurston, that same dragonknight who had first challenged you during the ceremony a week ago who roared the loudest, even being the first one to grab one of the swords that you had managed to stick, blade-first, into the ground.

"Dariya and Thurston will aid you!"

Each of the other dragonknights called out their own fealty to the mission and took one of the swords. You recognized many of them, having trained with most of them through the last week.

QuoteDragonknight army will have an extra +1 OM and +1 DV to their Army stat sheet for the remainder of the mission. You'll be considered the Commander of the army.

pringerbeam

"Fuuuucking shit are you for real?"  Yelled Jean, rolling his eyes as hard as he could.  "Well I'm going to rendezvous with the other hero before I expose this fair maiden to your shitshow of a presence for too long."  Jean turned and looked up to the dragon carrying him.  "Don't uh...  tell Vasillisa about this exchange?  I don't think she thinks it would be proper for a young girl such as yourself to hear that exchange."

Throndir

The dragon let out a giggle. It was strange to hear it coming from the large creature.

"I won't..." Alyona said. "Sometimes my sister says worse things."

QuoteNote any other preparations you might do for both the armies. Once I get confirmation, then the two armies + heroes and their companions will move out.

Oath

Rosalie hopped off Valeriya's back as she neared the ground. She wanted to wait for Charles and the rest of the weapons before heading out.  She approached Thurston and gave him a fist bump. "Glad to see you've come around, Thurston. Remember that your own safety comes first. You were chosen as one of the few to become a full fledged dragon knight this year, Use this fight to learn about your enemies and bring that knowledge back to grow into a stronger fighter and a better leader."

She went around to each trainee that had joined the effort to save Amie's village and thanked them for coming. Exchanging words and easing any fears that they had about the upcoming battle, while waiting for Charles to arrive with the rest of the goods and the means to further organize the volunteers.

pringerbeam

"Thank you m'lady Alyona.  You possess a wisdom beyond your years...  I think...  I don't actually know how old you are come to think of it."  Said Jean as they flew through the air.  "That other girl, the one that also was a dragon, is she your sister?  She said you were too young to partake in the ceremony.  How old do you need to be?  You certainly seem strong enough to carry a rider if you can carry me like this."

[info]No other preparations to make on my end as far as mechanics go[/info]

Throndir

Jeans's Perspective

"Yes mister hero..." Alyona said. "All the dragons here are family, our mother is the mommy. But sissy Valeriya is the who is most likely family?" Alyona explained. "We share a cave together, but ever since she got contracted with hero Rosalie, I haven't been able to hang out with her as much." Alyona sighed.

"She always talks about her. Like Rosalie did this, and Rosalie did that. I mean... She is okay, I like her too, but I miss when it was just us two. She's going to go with her since Rosalie is the hero... I tried to get everyone to take me along but..."

"I'm too weak..." Rosalie then flew upwards, taking you along with her and gently dropped you as she herself landed next to you. Dalina with Ren decided to land as well. Apart from that, Vitaliya was handling talking with each of the people in her squad, giving them precise instructions. And you saw Anja further below who seemed to have engrossed herself into reading some sort of book.

QuoteAnja's book doesn't have to be the book, but let me know if it is. If not, it'll just be random light reading for her, probably one of the books about teaching Priests of the Hero.

"I'm 49 years old. Only recently, due to the war, the contract ceremony has been pushed earlier and earlier for us. So next year, on my 50th birthday, I'm to do the contract ceremony too! Just like sissy."

Rosalie's Perspective

It took another 15 more minutes for Captain Charles to arrive with the rest of the blades. Since you had flown down earlier already, many of the knights had already begun their own preparations. Charles quickly found you as he he trotted his horse over to you. You also noticed Amie riding with him.

"Hero Rosalie! Look at you taking my job like that. Sooner or later they'll demote me to a captain of some rear guard, and let you run this place." The captain grinned as he watched the men. "They're all a little rough around the edges, and perhaps are not quite the cream of the crop, but they'll manage."

It was then that the captain called out to the rest.

"You all have fifteen minutes to assemble and gear up! Get all wagons ready. Prepare to bring medical supplies and food rations! Minimal staff needed to watch the camp, the rest are to prepare to move out!" The captain barked his orders as men saluted. "You there! Send words back to headquarters. Report the Velothian Wind priests have arrived, and that we're headed enroute northwards to prepare for refugees."

Captain Charles turned back to you.

"The ground units will be leaving in 15 minutes. It takes more to prepare the wagons and supplies than our dragon-mounted troops. Most of those are already ready... All the swords have been distributed too." Captain Charles grinned as he dismounted. He then started to make his way towards you, and with that grin on his face still mixed with a solemn expression in his eyes, he reached out his hand for you to shake.

"And hero Rosalie... May the goddesses be with you."

pringerbeam

"Your mother...  You mean Vasillisa?  You are all related?  Who is her mate?  How...  I mean...  Um...  Do you know what the word inbreeding means?  You know what?  Forget I asked."  Jean set down on the dirt when they arrived where the other hero was.  "Are we all ready here?  Every second we waste not flying is a moment longer the villagers need to survive."

Throndir

Jeans's Perspective

"Oh no..." Alyona said stammering while still in her dragon form. "When the dragonknights form contracts with us dragons... They umm... make children with us. There are no boy dragons... Sometimes what comes out is a human, but sometimes, what comes out is an egg. When it's an egg, that is brought back up to the Elder to take care of and raise. If it's a human, then the knight and dragon take care of it."

After conversation

Next, Jean and Alyona, along with Dalina and Ren would fly down the mountain towards the camp. Vitaliya and her squad continued to finalize their plans, but had followed after you a few minutes later.

QuoteWaiting for a post from Rosalie before I resolve that last bit

pringerbeam

"When you make the contract?  But...  You're so young and...  You're supposed to start fighting next year?  I mean, the difference between 49 and 50 seems small and shouldn't you be...  Uh...  Bigger?"  Inquired Jean.

Throndir

Jeans's Perspective

"Y-yes..." Alyona stammered. "But this war has been going on for a hundred years now, before I was born... It used to be that age 150 was when we would be contracted according to what Valeriya told me. Valeriya's the only one at 169 without a contracted dragonknight until she met Rosalie. She kept putting it off... But with the war going on, you see, the age went down to 120, then 80, and now it's 50."

"I can refuse, just like my sissy, but... we used to have a lot of other dragon mountains. Like Mount Hafr up to the north in Hierdsvain, or Mount Alona in old eastern Felothia as the largest ones. Here on this mountain, Mt. Velothia, is the last refuge of the dragons."

"Soooo... we try to do our part. Even it means getting contracted early."