[Jean/Rosalie] Chapter 12: Rescue Operation

Started by Throndir, April 13, 2019, 11:54:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pringerbeam

"Interesting...  Alchemy you say?  The whole lead into gold, immortality potions, and philosopher's stone thing?"  Jean tapped his free hand on his chin.  "And you're here to escape the city.  Well I guess you succeeded by quite the long shot what with being in a whole 'nother world.  Who runs the town?  Is your father just a wealthy citizen or is he also the mayor or whatever leader your society uses?" 

Throndir

"Transmutation from one material to the next requires some knowledge of both substances, but yes... We're a wealthy family. But father isn't the mayor, no. That's Mayor Felson. The mayor is more than happy having our family stay here though."

pringerbeam

"I see... and how does the martial prowess fit into the whole alchemy thing?"

Throndir

"What my father teaches... It's all forms of alchemy. Transmutation, Projection, and Alkahestry. All three disciplines have a lot of interweave with each other, and there's lots of applicable uses for them all. Martial combat is just one of the uses." Amie explained. At that moment she held her hands out, and a second later, the two blades she had used materialized into being.

Dalina stared wide-eyed at what just happened. "Seeing this up close is really something. No incantation... and alchemy is some sort of magic?" Dalina asked, to which Amie simply nodded.

Amie then pulled back her sleeve, showcasing a thick metallic bracelet. "This bracelet is actually made of a couple of vials that hold mercury. When I create these weapons, I use the mercury inside along with some magic to temper and harden them, and seal their toxicity. Training in how to use these weapons was something my father did as well. He has a dojo at our home, but none of the other villagers show as much potential as I do in both fighting and alchemy."

pringerbeam

"Amazing...  perhaps he could teach me?  Magic is useful but my ability to expend power is limited.  It would be a good alternative to needing to summon my weapon at the start of every fight."

Throndir

"I don't know... The magic you and umm... " Amie glanced at Dalina.

"Dalina." The priestess replied.

"The magic you and Dalina use is different than mine. I can do things like... Change the properties of objects, or transform them into other things, but the two of you... Uses something with ice and wind? Like the elements... I can approximate the ice by turning something into barium hydroxide octahydrate and amonium nitrate. But that whole thing with the tornado? Hero Rosalie on the other hand does even weirder magic. Like bringing me back to life..." She shook her head. "Your guys' magic seem more interesting."

The swords she held in her hand disappeared again.

"It is handy though... And it's not just limited to mercury, it's just that mercury is the easiest to work with. Plus I noticed you guys had to chant awhile to bring forth that magic. For me..." She flicked her hand again. "It can just happen if I concentrate enough."

pringerbeam

"Ah yes that reminds me.  Uh, Rosalie was it?  I don't suppose you could use your magic to heal my apprentice when we get back to the mountain?
She was injured in an accident and I don't seem to have the same magical ability that you do."

Oath

"I can't say for sure that I could help her, but I could try. Not really too sure what my magic can do yet, if it is a simple injury, I'm sure that I can do something though."  Rosalie looked around the village as they walked, surveying what destruction the demons had done.

[info] checking for anything worth noticing
perception
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+16 : 9 + 16, total 25[/blockquote]
[/info]

Throndir

[info]Perception: 25
Almost every one of the houses were burning. There were many villagers too who looked like they were trying to leave their homes only to be cut down. Men, women, and children. The demons killed anyone they would without regard or care. But thankfully, the destruction started to become less and less the closer to the river you came. From this distance you could see that past the river, there weren't any fires at all.[/info]

pringerbeam

"Good, she isn't in any immediate danger but she is crippled.  It would be nice if she could regain the use of her legs."  As they approached the river Jean noticed the lack of devastation.  "Huh...  This part of the town seems less damaged as the square.  Almost as if the demons only just got here and haven't had a chance to go through the whole town.  When did the townsfolk first encounter the demons?"

[info]Perception check to see if anything pops out as amiss[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+12 : 8 + 12, total 20[/blockquote][/info]

Throndir

When you finally reached the bridge, there was no one to greet you. There were no dead bodies at all on the other side of the river, nor were any of the houses on fire. There didn't seem to be any damage either. It was completely different to the side you were just on, and you couldn't help but feel something was off.

[info]Perception: 20
There were signs of battle. Though, it was strange as well. There were patches of ground where there were no grass at all, yes patches where there were. At times there were scorch marks on the dirt ground, though, they seemed staggered, and sometimes the scorch marks would abruptly end as if someone had purposefully cleaned them up. Another unique thing you noticed was the fact that some of the scorch marks that seemed as if it should have affected the bridge too, simply weren't there. You could clearly see dark streaks on the dirt right after the bridge. But where you expected the same streaks to continue, the bridge did not have any.

It was also then that you noticed the bodies of a few demons sitting on the river bed beneath the bridge.[/info]

pringerbeam

"Huh...  Maybe they were able to hold off the demons at this bridge.  It seems like a decent choke point."  Said Jean, leaning over the edge slightly as they walked to look at the demon corpses that were in the riverbed.  "Hey!"  He shouted towards the mansion as they drew closer.  "We're here to rescue the village!  Anyone there?"

Throndir

There was a second of silence after you called out, but soon enough the ground started to open up. Like a gaping maw the ground was parted, and from it, appeared a man wearing a white suit and pink hair. "Father." Amia said recognizing him immediately. Once the ground was parted, the man willed the dirt beneath him to rise up, or perhaps rather than willing it, he was creating more, expanding them, or simply moving them to his feet.

"Amie, you're back. These were the help you got?" The older man looked towards you and your group. "You made short work of them. Impressive." He glanced to the skies. "But your allies look like they're struggling."

pringerbeam

"We would help them but we needed to know that there were no more demons down here in the village before we split our forces.  Is it safe to say that there are no demons here?"  Said Jean as he looked at the mansion behind Amie's father.  "Given the state of your house is it also safe to assume that there were other villagers that managed to survive the demon's initial attack?"

Throndir

The man nodded.

"We knew there were demons, and we thought we were prepared. But when they appeared from the woods, it caught most of us by surprise. We lost... many. The remainder of the survivors in my mansion though. The basement floors are quite heavily fortified. But it's just as well that you arrived when you did. I fought off a couple of the demons, but with how many of them raging in the rest of the village, I wasn't quite sure how long it would be until I ran out of mana."