[Amelia] Chapter 11: Economy

Started by Mysticsage, March 11, 2019, 12:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mysticsage

《Chapter 11: Economy》
Date: Day 11 - Noon

After finishing her duties as a tour guide from the morning she picked up her bag from her royal quarters then headed out clothes in hand to meet with Adhelm. She gave herself a good half hour to make it to the villa and have everything she needed to try again and show him what clothes from her world are like. She purposely brought things like her swimwear and her jeans to show him various other pieces.

"I hope he likes what I have."
She said only realizing how silly that sounded once she heard it spoken out loud.

Date: Day 11 - 4pm

[info]Amelia goes to Ilyaveere to see if she can get Nyx attached to her guild card as an animal companion.[/info]

Date: Day 11 - 5pm

Amelia arrived in Ebner's office late in the day hoping that she had given him enough time to have an update for her as promised. She was curious about how the various craftsman were doing adapting the memories that she had shown him into practice. But in truth, she was the most nervous whether or not he had been successful getting in contact with the slavers of the nation on her behalf. She did not like the knot forming in her stomach, she wished she had more help dealing with people in the shadows.

Though sleeping in Kurt's room last night and dealing with Thyra had given her an idea on an avenue to search for a reasonable spymaster. Knocking on the door as she entered she spoke, "Good day Ebner, I hope I'm not keeping you too late. I'm here for our scheduled update."

Throndir

You met Adhelm at his temporary lodgings.

"Oh! Your majesty, this is splendid!" He cooed as he took up each of the clothing and examined them carefully, along with taking in the general look of them.

He didn't seem to blush at all when he picked up the swimsuit you brought.

"A swim suit you say? These might very well work with the younger generation... The ones most people use don't show this much. It might potentially hard to sell too... You know, we never had much of a sunbathing culture in our country, much less this city, being so far from the ocean. But now that we're bordering one, it might be time to consider selling more of these... At the very least, I know there's an island country that might find these fascinating..."

Next he went over to the jeans and examined them closely.

"Fascinating. The weave of this is much thicker than regular cloth we use... Durable too? This might be good clothing to use for the workers of our country."

"You don't happen to know how this was produced, do you?"

"Hello again Suzaku!" Ilyaveere announced when you were finally up next at the counter.

"One second... let me check something..." The receptionist said as she pulled out what looked to be an notebook, she leafed through it a couple times.

"Aha! I thought so... It looks like your Adventurer Card is ready to be picked up. Wait one moment!" With that she quickly ran to a backroom, after a minute, she appeared again carrying the card in her hand.

"This card, along with the wooden Rank plate I gave you last week, signifies your membership to the guild." She explained as she handed you the card to look at. It had your alias 'Suzaku', along with bars that represented statistics.

QuoteI'll use Photoshop magic later on, to make an actual pretty card, for now, just use your imagination. Also, instead of Amelia, it should say Suzaku on there.

"One more thing... You haven't started any missions yet at the board. The Guild imposes a 2 month requirement. Meaning, you'll have to get one mission in every 2 months in order to be qualified and recognized as a Guild Member. Any potentially long contracts over 2 months need to be reported at your nearest Guild though."

"As for your animal companion... Generally we don't require animal companions to be registered. It simply is noted in our records that you do have one, along with other information such as its race and size. However, if the animal companion is sentient, and can talk... Then we require them to sign up as actual Adventurers. Traveling with a sentient companion can be thought of as travelling with another adventurer. Likewise, if you own any slaves, the same is done for them."

"A good day to you too Your Majesty." Ebner said as he bowed. He seemed to be enjoying a glass of wine as he was pouring over some records, but invited you to sit with him, as he himself poured wine in a new empty glass.

"Not late at all, I find I get the most done in the evenings like these anyways. But I'm glad you could stop by!" He said grinning as he placed the new glass of wine in front of you, then took a sip of his own.

"It's a few more days yet til the report from the Gladenstadt Auction House, our courier might just be arriving tonight, or tomorrow... But I'd like to show you something else..." He said with a glint in his eye. He then pulled up a crate full of all sorts of equipment from the floor near his desk to his table. They were filled with the various sports equipments from the list of sports that you had given him.

"I worked with plenty of our craftsmen the last couple of days to get these just right. They're prototypes, mind you, and they're not as well-crafted as the ones in your memory... These lightweight but durable materials aren't something that we can easily create." True to what he said, most of the items shown were made out of wood, though, there were some with metal, or was made entirely out of metal.

He then pulled out what looked to be a few cards.

"These were difficult to make as well. I had asked some paper craftsmen on sturdy and thick paper, so they ended up experimenting for the first day. At the same time, I had some of the printing presses try out to see what it would take to crate something akin to a painting through the presses. It's far from what you imagine... But it's a start at least."

He then displayed some 'cards' in front of you. They were indeed thick, though, the cuts on them weren't as clean as you would have liked. The 'paintings' on them too looked similar to various attempts at pressing with different dyes or paints. Frankly, they didn't look as good as the ones from back home.

"I did have an artist attempt to create one from scratch... He had just finished it this morning."

With that, Ebner pulled out another card. This one was much more well-done. It had the look of a painting, and there was indeed some precision required to make it look the way it did. It was a picture of a 'Legendary Creature' named 'Kurt von Engel', and had the close likeness of the prince of Mendernich, brandishing two rapier-like swords.

"As you can imagine, we'll have a problem mass-producing these..."

After that, he pulled out what looked to be an 8 by 8 grid, with various pieces. It didn't take you long to realize that it was a chess board. He too had created matching ones for Shogi and Go from the specifications you shared with him.

"These ones I'm excited for... I'm rather enticed by the possibility of having other players to play with me..." Ebner explained. "I've been thinking about these 'board games' since you introduced them, but right now, there's only two people in the world that I know can play this... And one of them, only learned through the first's power." He grinned.

"Up for a game?

QuoteWe'll dumb down Chess/Shogi/Go, to a series of opposed skill checks if you choose to do it. We can say you're playing as you continue the conversation with him. Include an INT check per post.

Mysticsage

She took back the various clothes from him to read the still attached tags that described their exact makeup. After she lets him take additional notes she continues, "As for how they are specifically made I know a number of them are industrial products that we cannot replicate at the moment. But we can use things like cotton and silk to make up the difference. If you want to know about other styles that I don't have on hand. Let me try something."

Opening the friend's list and focusing on Adhelm she tries to replicate what she did to Ebner before by sharing her modern memory of things like men's clothes, different types of uniforms, sportswear, suits her father wore, things her little brother favored, different cultural outfits like kimonos and saris and various bits from video games and anime that she could not help but bleed in. Those almost outlandish outfits continued to flow, pictures of school uniforms and only half dressed with far too many belts filled her mind. The more she thought about what kinds of different fashions that would work the more the different styles seemed to just flow out of her.

[info]using a hero point to transmit clothes memories
let me know if I also need to roll[/info]

"Thank you Ilyaveere!" Amelia said taking the card with a smile, "I'll also keep what you said about sentient companions in mind. As well as the need to take a mission every two months."

She moved over to the board in thought,  "I wish I had seen the rats quest earlier I would have brought all those tails home. Well, I might as well take it and see what I can do." She said moving back to Illyvvree. "Are the rat tails just for proof? because I've killed a number already and I would like to get credit if possible. Do you have any other interesting missions that have yet to be listed?"

Amelia smiled looking at all the progress they had already made as she sat down. "This is far beyond any kind of expectations I had she smiled this is already a huge step forward."

Her smile grew as he brought out the game, "I apologize I was only able to remember the basics, and I did not spend a huge amount of time reading game theory. As a result, I fear you've missed out a huge amount of collective practice and plays that I just had no clue about. But I would love to play a game."

"As for the products its important to work within our means, choose which items make the most sense for our nation and the ones that are cost effective and start there. Things like soccer for instance that only require a ball, is a great place to start. So please for most of the prototypes stick to wood and you only use metal where it makes the most sense. I understand that blacksmithing requires a great deal of additional labor."

"As for the cards, I think the same philosophy applies. While having a few high-quality cards in circulation increase their values keep that kind of work limited to the rare cards like the prince. Use them as prizes for sanctioned tournaments and the like. Otherwise, the ones that have been printed are a perfectly fine place to start. Don't get discouraged just because new things take time to develop."

"Please, tell everyone who has worked on these projected how overjoyed I am with what they have managed to accomplish. That goes just as much for your efforts to Ebner." She smiled as she made her first move.

"Do you have any other concerns for me? I'm sure the sovereignty wants us to pay some portion for their new temple of water, that is if the word has gotten back to their leaders yet."

[info]int check
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+2 : 4 + 2, total 6[/blockquote][/info]

Throndir

Suddenly that notification morphed and change rather than being scrolled up.

[okay]Your wish is granted.[/okay]
"Wha- What is- Oh. Are you doing this? Ooohhh. Ahhh, I see... To think this was... Ooooh, interesting. Wow..."

Like before with Liudger, the process took around a minute. By the time it was done, Adhelm was blinking his eyes in shock and wonder at the sudden new information in his head.

"A-amazing Your Majesty..." Adhelm stated. "That is... Your Majesty, The Hero..." Adhelm continued. "I wasn't sure how much I believe in the otherwordly powers heroes possessed... But you definitely shown that. It's as if.... It's as if I know the clothes myself, and could almost touch them in my mind."

Adhelm was visibly getting excited.

"Your Majesty... Unless there is more you would like to discuss, I think I want to start designing clothes, and seeing how I can replicate them..."

"Unfortunately you do need those rat tails as proof." Ilyaveere said. "For other creatures, we generally accept the right-ear of any slain monster. For one, the ear itself isn't worth as much as say... the horn, or a creature's tail. There are always bounties available for large rats and goblins though!"

"As for interesting missions... Well, I'm not sure if they would be interesting, but apart from the slaying bounties, there's requests for reagents and material harvested from monsters all the time too. For example, one of our local 'kebab' stores continually gets its food-stuff from adventurer kills. The same is said with furs, horns and bones, among other things. Mendernich is a fairly safe town though, so don't expect anything too out there. Apart from that, there is a dungeon we have nearby designed for beginners just a short distance from the Mendernich east gates."

The two of you began playing chess. In the opening turns, Liudger was already starting to get a lead, seeing more of how the game works, and eager to test the strategies he had come up with.

"I will definitely tell the rest that Your Majesty thanks them. With these variety of sports, I think it's best to introduce them slowly, and one at a time, so we have enough time for the citizens to truly appreciate tests of skills such as these. Usually these type of things were only reserved for the nobles in jousting tournaments, or sword-play, and the like. It's a new concept! Which of these sports do you think would work the best? Likewise, do you have any input on how much we should spend in it?"

QuoteLet me know how much BP from the Kingdom Treasury you would like to assign to each endeavor. Think of these as initial payments to get it going.

"Sanctioned tournaments.. Ah, a quite interesting idea you have, Your Majesty. That would indeed keep the rarity high for these ones... Well, I'll go over these prototypes with the crafters, but perhaps starting something to promote the new sport, and these new games would be of benefit?"

Liudger thought for a moment.

"A grand celebration of its opening of some sort?" He said, throwing out ideas.

QuoteAnother INT check request, we'll conclude the game after a total of 3 checks.

Mysticsage

"Absolutely,"
Amelia smiled, "I'll leave you to your work, and if you need anything to better the process please let me know. Also, don't feel pressured to work outside your means. Use natural fabrics and the things that you do well before going overboard."

"And thank you again for agreeing to help me stay informed about the nobles in your hometown. Your help means a lot to me"
Amelia gave him a small smile before leaving.

"Yes well I understand, I might as well sign up for that beginner dungeon and see how it goes."
She said with a smile. "Can I bring anyone along or do I have to also sign them up so the guards know who are entering?"

Amelia smiled as she took some time to think. "I believe our best bet will be a sport like soccer to start with. The game is simple, easy to follow, and does not require any particularly special equipment. That will give all the time we need to refine the places to play and the needed bureaucracy in place for the other sports. We also don't need high-end arena's to play the game."

She details her plans to use parks as play fields along with the needed money that she planned for.
[info]Spending 13 bp
2 to update a park in Mendrich for play
8 to build parks that can be used for field sports in Gladenstadt and Schleitz
1 BP for 3 full teams 1 in each of the 3 major cities coaches for each a medical unit and 2 refs per city
1 BP for 30 people marketing the new sport and drawing attention also covers equipment
1 BP for surprises and additional expenses that are unforeseen. [/info]

"I would be more than willing to have some kind of grand celebration!"
Amelia said with a large smile. "We can make it a whole spring festival across the three cities to draw in all kind of attention with games and food."

She moves to make her next move as she speaks.
[info]Int chess check
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+2 : 9 + 2, total 11[/blockquote][/info]

"Speaking of paying for things I had a few questions for you. Is there any way I can get a telescope? I would love to go stargazing in the near future."

"Oh, and there was one more thing." She paused, "Who is the most famous courtesan in the region? What do you know about them and do you think they would take a meeting with me discreetly if I asked?" Her face was as red as a beet when she finished the last part.

Throndir

Adhelm Schröder grinned.

"I'll be staying here for another few weeks likely... I originally came here for your coronation after all. However... It is tempting to spend a week travelling to get back to Gladentstadt to being production. However... I shant miss your coronation Your Majesty. I can at least use this time to come up with designs. Yes, yes...!" His eyes were absolutely gleaming.

With that, he bowed.

"Oh... One more thing Your Majesty... By chance can we have some of the local weavers here help with this? I'd be willing to pay of course, but having the crown sanction it would do more for having the populace help."

QuoteUpdate your calendar of when you gave Adhelm this new direction (Day 11), and update your calendar again for when you plan to meet up with him, if you do. So we don't lose track of this.

"There are no guards of that dungeon. We prefer if only adventurers or their animal companions enter it, though. You may also keep any treasures you may find in it, but don't expect too much of a dungeon delve! It's a small dungeon, 3 rooms total. And it's primarily meant to let new adventurers have a taste of dungeon delving before venturing to the farther ones. I have a list of those, so feel free to come back whenever you think you're ready."

"There is one rule... and one rule only, you are to not destroy the Dungeon Core of that dungeon, doing so will result in a heavy fine, along with imprisonment."

QuoteAlso just realized... Is Suazaku in his man-disguise right now, or no? Totally forgot to mention that at all.

"That much? I see you are serious with these after all." He grinned. "I'll begin preparations immediately."

"A Spring Festival... Do you have any ideas what we should call it? Spring Sports Festival... No, too literal?"

"For the telescope, our court mage, Conrad Esser has one. Reading the stars is part of his arcane studies. As for a famous courtesan... Those kinds of businesses are more frequent in Gladenstadt or Schleitz, so I'm afraid I do not know."

QuoteInclude your final INT check for the game of chess.

Update your calendar on today's date for when Liudger beings this process. Also update in there when you plan to meet up with him again, so I can have an idea of how much progress he would have made by that point.

Mysticsage

"I will certainly try to organize some of the local weaver's with my economic advisor and have them report to you for instruction. After all, I think that will go very much in tandem with other plans I am trying to get in motion."
Amelia smiled.

"And I very much look forward too seeing you at the coronation."

"Oh before I forget please put together a number of designs together for the demihuman and any race with additional considerations as well if you could. Size considerations, tail holes, cover as many bases as you can think of. It is an important consideration that I would like to keep an eye on."
She smiles.

"And please try not to overwork yourself. As a future queen, you'll make me worry."
She chuckled.

[info]I would be in costume lol[/info]

"Thank you for that information, I'll probably head out that way in a few days." Suzaku smiles at his elven handler warmly.

"There is a saying in my world, that to make money one must spend money." she smiled. "For the Spring Festival," she thought for a moment, "Let's go with The Festival of Renewal?"

She played her next move of the game than, she already knew that she was going to lose but she might as well make a fight of it.

[info]
This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 1d20+2 : 19 + 2, total 21
[/info]

"And I'll go talk to Conrad then, as for the other matter do you know of anyone in the castle or in the capital I could trust give me that answer. Perhaps Father Ragnar, now that I think of it?"
she asked trying to think of who she knew that would walk in those circles.

"Also, Before I forget Lord Adhelm requested that we send some of the capital weavers over to the villa to help with designs and production of the first stages to designing new clothes. I told him that I thought it was reasonable can you organize what he needs for me?"

Throndir

"Demihuman and other races too?" Adhelm thought about it. A moment later he nodded his head. "You might mean the Kingdom of Darmona, our neighbors to the east? Slavers of my city bring them in at times, with naught but rags thrown together. The sale on those clothing is much rare however..."

"But... Your Majesty, if we can secure a way to sell them? I will at the very least design them as well."

"Great, Suzaku!" Ilyaveere said cheerily. "Well is there any other way I can help? Don't forget you can drop by any time! For any advice or updating your card. I'm in charge of you specifically while you're here in the city."

"Adhelm? Adhelm Schröder? Yes... I've worked with his father in the past. Though with how hectic it has been since we arrived here in the New World, I haven't had a chance to meet with the new head of the family. The Schröders are loyal to the crown. And very well, I'll schedule a meeting to meet with him tomorrow."

Mysticsage

"Actually, can you do me a favor and procure me a high-quality bow and some arrows? I don't know the best sellers in town yet. I do not need anything extravagant just something reliable that I know I can handle. I promise to pay for the actual purchase I just need someone with a good eye for these things."

"I don't want to rely on the prince for everything." Amelia smiled.

"Yes, the Schröder family was suggested to me by the king to aid in dealing with the noble class. Offering him my memories of clothes, and the chance to design substitutes for things like the uniforms we need for sports was enough to solidify our new partnership. He seems like a very nice boy as well which helps a lot when wanting to do favors for me." Amelia chuckled.

"Well," She sighed, "I'll be awake for at least another few hours if that report comes during the night please feel free to wake me. I'm going to see if I cannot find that answer I was looking for. Thank you for all your hard work Ebner. Please try to get some sleep as well, I cannot be worrying about you getting sick with all we have planned." she smiled.

"By the way, I believe you won the game."

Date: Day 11 - 6:30

Amelia sat on her bed and sighed, "Things have yet to slow down. I'm actually looking forward to going hunting with Nyx tomorrow."

Opening her friend's list she saw just how many people she had met in the short time that she had arrived here. Finally, she found Ragnar's name and focused for a while.

"Ragnar, I'm sorry to disturb you, this is Amelia. Are you free for a moment? I have a question for you."

Throndir

Ilyaveere wrote somethign in her notebook.

"Very well then! You are in the castle with the prince, correct? I will have the bow and arrows delivered. The delivery agent will tell you how much it all costs, feel free to pay it then, or come by any Guild Hall to settle that payment. For things like these, you'll need to secure the payment within a week, or that will go as a strike on your record. If the bow or arrows aren't satisfactory, we can also refund the payment, though, the service charge won't be refunded."

"At the very least, expect the lowest prices from the Guild! We work with the best merchants in the city after all." The receptionist stated, as if she was reciting a well-memorized line.

"That ability you have to share memories... Is quite useful, you know?" Liudger commented.

He then grinned as he moved his final piece into place.

"Checkmate." Liudger said agreeing with your sentiment. "I really would love to show this game to a couple of others..." He thought about it. "Of course, after all my work is done." He laughed. "But fear not Your Majesty, I do very well enjoy the work I've been doing for the crown. There's a couple of things I'd like to take care of first... But I assure you, I'll get some rest."

"I think I would very much like to introduce 'chess' to King Richmond..." A grin splayed across his face.

The fuck. Can you hear me? Is that you, Your Majesty? He paused for a moment.

Oh... excuse my Felothian. Father Barnabas hurriedly apologized for the profanity before you could make the confirmation. I assume you can hear my thoughts too, I just didn't expect to hear you in my head all of a sudden. Part of the blessing of a hero, right?

Enjoying some time at the tavern next door, but I'm as free as I could be.

Mysticsage

"That was a very good game, Ebner,"
Amelia smiled. "and I will certainly do my best to practice to give you more of a challenge next time. You seem to have picked up the games nuances better than I did. We will have to definitely play again. You may even need to teach me."

As he made the comment about her ability she waved the statement away, "I don't think I can use it all the time, unfortunately." Her eyebrow creeps up skeptically, "Why? Would you like me to try and share something specific with you?"

Amelia began to mentally laugh enjoying the honesty, "Please, I didn't mean to surprise you! Yes, this is an ability that I stumbled upon. I apologize for interrupting your night, I just wanted to ask you a question that I thought you would know the answer too. Who is the most famous and popular courtesan in our kingdom?"

His cursing helped stop her embarrassed about this line of questioning. "And for the record, the average curse is far from offensive in my book."

Throndir

Liudger laughed as he picked up his pipe and inhaled it.

"No, no... Not with all the work I currently have with just the first set of memories. Perhaps in the future, yes. I'm sure there's all sorts of interesting things in your memories you can share from your world. But right now, I have enough work to last at least a month with all of these new sports and game projects. Not to mention figuring out all the financing, and setting up meetings."

He grinned.

"Good work of course. But at least give me a few days to handle these current tasks, that, or let us hire more accountants." Liudger said jokingly.

A courtesan? I didn't realize you would be interested in such things. Male courtesans are generally rarer... But if you're talking about the best, there's a place in Gladenstadt that I had the pleasure to visit once before the Shifting.

The Chaste Cat is the brothel's name. Run by the most exquisite lady I have ever laid my eyes on. She's picky with her partners of course, but a night with her could cost up to an orichalcum piece.

Mysticsage

"If these sports take off as I hope, I will make it a priority to get you more staff." She said seriously. "As I work to develop more revenues of income it will be important that your office can handle the extra work without going killing you in the process."

Amelia fishes for a pencil and her notebook and writes down the name of the brothel. "Do you think if I wrote a letter to her she would respond or do I need an introduction? I imagine a lady like that has dealt with her fair share of nobles. I would like to have her come out to the capital if at all possible."

"But I would understand if at that price she would need more then just a letter to make such a move."

Throndir

"I see you're already thinking of more work. Fear not, I'll be prepared even if I'm the only one handling all the paperwork." Liudger said reassuringly.

For someone like her? Well, you have the special status as the hero of this country, not to mention our next queen. They'd have to authenticate your letter of course, probably a seal from the royal capital along with an official courier, but as for moving all the way to the capital...?

That's not something even I can see if she would or would not. She does have her home over there in Gladenstadt. There are a few brothels here, though, most of the clients seeking a good time usually travel to our neighboring city. The atmosphere in Mendernich afterall isn't so welcoming to anything too seedy.

Mysticsage

Amelia jotted down the rest of her notes while she smiled. "Well, I won't know till I try I suppose. Thank you for your help, Ragnar. It really means a great deal to me."

She jumped up from her bed and left her room as she quickly began heading to the king's office to see if he will help her compose an invitation for this woman.

[info]We don't need to rp it if he lets me do it without questions[/info]