[Amelia] Chapter 10.1 In the Hoard of the Dragon.

Started by Mysticsage, January 18, 2019, 05:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mysticsage

Date: Day 10 - 2 PM

Amelia sat in the greeting room of the house given to the representative of the Dragon Knights she did her best to steady her hands. Her cat on her shoulder as ever the security blanket to dissuade any dangerous thoughts on the part of the guards. She chose to meet here in neutral territory so that they would be comfortable at the same time she was left open. At least with Nyx her, if something went wrong they would be in for a surprise. She chose to drink her glass of water while waiting for the holy man to arrive.

The reason she had asked for this meeting was that in all of her readings she heard little about the Dragon Knights and she wanted to get the truth from the horses or dragon's mouth.

Throndir

The maid that served you hurried on to fetch the visitors, and soon enough three individuals were before you. One was the High Priest of the Antwarch Dragonknight Kingdom, his name being Clifton Atwood.

"Greetings Amelia, servant of the Mendernich hero."

Next to him was a beautiful lady in a dress.

"This is my wife, Angelena."

On the other side was the young aid that had helped with the translations with the other representatives.

"And this is my squire. He helped with translating with the other delegates..."

"However... You don't seem to need it... As you spoke in my language, the hero of Mendernich certainly has a capable servant."

QuoteWe'll just assume Ragnar did most of the talking, rather than you. Due to your translation ability that will arose suspicion.

Mysticsage

"Thank you for meeting with again so soon after the meeting High Priest Atwood. And your praised is misplaced while appreciated. With the blessing of our hero's partner a number of things are possible," Amelia said trying to maintain her composure.

"And if I may be so bold, both you and your wife Angelena make a beautiful couple."
Amelia smiled earnestly.

"My lady asked me to have a conversation with you because she was curious about you and your people. She is a bit of a bookworm you see and while she read about a number of our neighbors she found little about the Dragon Knights. Add to that she liked what she saw of you from her connection with her familar and she wished for us to talk for an hour or two." She said pointing to Nyx as his eyes reflected in the afternoon light.

Deciding to break the mood a bit. "If you don't mind my impertinence, from what I know of my lady's world I think dragons are the thing of make-believe and the sheer concept that your nation might have some dragons demanded she investigates." Amelia chuckled.

looking to the squire and smiling, "Please won't you sit as well my lady is interested in every perspective. She would be upset with me if I turned away such an opportunity. What is your name?"

Throndir

"My name is Bentley, ma'am." The squire said politely as he attempted an awkward bow. Clifton nodded approvingly, then turned his attention back towards you

"How is the Mendernich hero doing? I do indeed understand the need to maintain an appearance. But I personally have been to the front lines, where even commanders and generals have fallen ill and are at death's door." Clifton said as he sat on the couch across from you. His wife soon joined him.

"Dragons are indeed real, they always have been. A proud and noble race that had been in this world since its creation. My wife Angelena, is one such being actually." Clifton said as he gestured towards his wife. Angelena nodded, but remained quiet.

Mysticsage

"She is recovering I assure you. Her will to live is strong and she refuses to allow something like an injury to stop her. While moving her long distance is out of the question the fact that she has survived as long as she has is proof of her power." She smiles warmly trying to reassure Clifford.

As he explains that dragons are real and can, in fact, take human shape her eyes sparkle with excitement. "Your country is truly blessed. How do you handle the relations between dragons and the other races? I can tell based off of how you act between each other that your relationship is more than just a matter of convenience. Lady Angelena your wisdom on how to integrate a populace would be very much appreciated."

"Also if there are any matters of state like trade or politics you wish me to pass on outside of the religious matters please feel free to do so. While I cannot make a promise that we can help. Our nation and everyone involved in its ruling mean to be as friendly as possible to those already here if we can manage it."

"I know our hero wishes to make deep ties with the people of this world and make as many bonds and allies across the races and nations."

Throndir

"I see... Well, with the meeting of churches Father Barnabas has created, I thought that I would be able to meet the hero of Mendernich as well... Is she not taking visitors? It need not be a formal visit, but heroes in our world ought to be respected... They are a force given to use by the goddesses themselves. Something that the kingdom of Felothia have forgotten."

"We share this continent with only a few other nations... The Hierdsvain Valkyrie, the Lassetaure Kingdom, the Kingdom of Felothia, making up the three largest ones. But in terms of losses, Felothia has had it the worse. Not only from demons, but by the phenomenon called the Shifting. They've attempted to reintegrate countries that had fallen under their rule... They still remain the largest force of humans, and for good, in our fight against the demons. Yet, they renamed themselves to the Felencorp, absorbing as many other countries that appeared."

He laughed.

"Believe it or not, I'm actually 87 years old. I was born during war-time, but it was still during the time when the Felencorp were still called the Kingdom of Felothia. There were many stories where that kingdom would vainly fight the demons from the east and south all by themselves. At the very least, up where Antwarch is, we had the Valkyrie, the elves, and the dwarves to help us. True, we were the dragon-knights, but it was still inspiring to know that many of my kin and fellow humans were holding their own without anyone else's help."

"They've lost their way. But to me, they're still the Kingdom of Felothia."

Lady Angelena then started to answer you question.

"Integration isn't so bad... But perhaps different for other people. You see, the Antwarch Dragon Knight Kingdom was first settled by a dragonknight centuries ago. And since then our two people have went into contracts for life with each other. Not only that, our Kingdom bordered the elves to the west. And the dwarves and Valkyrie to our north. It's... different for the fact that new countries or lands would spring out of nowhere. Our history had been created over the course of centuries, alliances forged between our respective kingdoms..."

Clifton Atwood smiled warmly.

"Nothing official in terms of trade or politics... Though, as the High Priest of Antwarch, the only request I have is to meet with the Mendernich hero. Amelia, if you can pass that on to your hero, that would be much appreciated. My wife and I will be staying here in Mendernich for a week more, then after that, we plan to head back home."

Mysticsage

Amelia did her best to hide her shock of Clifton's age, of course, people in a world where magic existed would be deceiving. She then nodded to Angelena's words, "It will be difficult for us who are newcomers on the world stage to make such strong bonds. But those insights help give a great deal of context thank you."

"As for meeting the hero," she paused contemplating. "I assume you have heard about Felencorp's, Farothia as you calm them, means of getting countries to submit. They swoop in and offer newly shifted countries aid in return for debts that are meant to be unsustainable. By bankrupting the country they create a legal claim to absorbing the country wholesale along with its holdings. But as you heard in the meeting today that is not the only reward that felencorp demands. They wish to claim the hero of the new nations as a servant and weapon as well."

"It seems that one of the common factors across most if not all of the nations brought to this word is not only the goddesses, but also the summoning ritual for heroes. Felencorp takes advantage of this and a nation's weakness to claim ownership of heroes." She spat the word ownership out as if it was laced in lemon juice.

"Add that to the fact that our hero was wounded and reacted poorly to the summoning process and you can understand why we wish to take responsibility for her recovery."

She told Nyx to jump off her shoulder so that she would have an excuse to open her friend's list. Taking a gamble that these people could be trusted. She whispered into his mind, "But who knows my lady does enjoy her theatrics. Dressing up as a man or even a low born maid sent out on an errand. She might have even decided to come to the meeting of religions in person. Some people may even say that I am the hero,"

As Nyx came back to sit on his perch Amelia smiled warmly as she returned to her previous position and gave Clifton a wink, "So please if you have anything to say to our hero just imagine she is sitting with you and I will ensure you she gets every detail. If you wish for a tour of the castle I could also arrange to be your guide. Assuming you find me suitable of course."

Throndir

Clifton's eyes widened as he heard your voice in his head. He did a strange thing then. Talking to you in his mind, while continuing the conversation all at the same time. It was hard to imagine how the man was able to do that.

You can hear my thoughts then... It's much like the bond shared between a dragonknight and their companion.

"Felothia has lost it's way indeed. However, even the Antwarch Kingdom can't deny the progress they've made. Tis true that heroes are summoned for this very purpose after all."

Angelena and I share that bond, speaking thoughts and speaking at the same time is something she and I have honed.

QuoteThis is a very specific technique that you can learn from him if you wanted.

"We do not approve of their methods of course. But, it's not as if we can enforce anything else, as we're already busy with our own front lines."

I wonder... If you can talk with Angelena through this as well?

I hear Amelia, our so-called 'low-born maid' who is really the hero through you, dear. Amelia, can you hear me as well?

"Strangely... Many of the countries summoned into this world have things dealing with the summoned heroes, or have their own rituals... A huge boon as well. But another way to think about it... If it were not for the Kingdom of Felothia's insistence in rallying the countries that had appeared, or pushing them into providing resources or men for their armies, the southern fronts would have been lost by now."

"A tour of the castle would be splendid, or at least, the sights of the city."

Mysticsage

Amelia smiled pretending to eat something and nodding along while she listened to both sides of the conversation. "I can indeed hear you, Mrs. Angelena, I would really love to learn how you are able to talk and think at the same time. Both my cat and I share a similar bond but it is not yet as deep as yours. It would be particularly useful for talking with Nyx. He is not just an animal as you might have guessed." she internally chuckled. "Though if you could teach him to take human form Mrs. Angelena that would also be a great feat."

She then began to talk. "I think you are wrong, about the purpose of heroes, our own nation was born because of a hero that had been summoned in our previous world. They acted as more than just a weapon they were a lover and a leader to create a brighter future. Even if they are uniquely capable of fighting this war I think it is short-sighted to see them only as weapons. Each person is unique and has the right to use and be used in the fullest extent of their capacity."

"I understand that the older nations have been fighting the demons for years but such routines can make people blind to change and better options. But please ignore me I know little about such matters. I would be more than happy to show you around the city or the castle.

"The hero is managed to communicate a number of ideas for new industry. I can show you around and tell you of happier topics."

Throndir

I suspect I can hear you through my husband... But it's different too. I get emotions and feelings from Clifton, but I don't sense a presence at all from you.

Can Nyx hear us now? Turning into a human has been a unique trait for us dragons, I'm not sure if it's something that can be taught.

Quote[size-10pt]Your ability isn't being actively used on Nyx right now, so he can't.

"I mean no disrespect of course. But yes, making use of the heroes to their most potential has always been the way with the Felencorp. However... For the most part, most heroes that were ever summoned have no experience leading, and their powers are generally combative in some way. Many times, the pressing need to drive the demons back have resulted in training for a few weeks, and having them defend our land."

"It's the people of this kingdom that have made some waves... By that I mean the transfer of the royal crown to the newly summoned hero once she is well again."

In truth, those in the Kingdom of Felothia are at rage with the entire thing. They are taking it as a sign of disobedience. Though, coupled with the fact that they do not know your blessings, or when and if you will 'recover', they had been willing to postpone making their demands to you.

You will have to be wary of them.

Mysticsage

Amelia mentally chuckled "No he can't hear us now my power is not as versatile as that, and that is also why you can feel so little of my presence as well. Though I can feel his heartbeat and he can feel mine when we stay like this. He is my protector after all. Please, anything you could teach us would be very much appreciated."

"I understand that Felencorp must see us as a wasted investment, but they must understand the risk of the summoning ritual each is unique and difficult to calculate. Ours, in particular, appears to be, interesting, compared to others. Our history and the way that our hero seems to be fairing is proof of that. They took a gamble it seems and we'll have to make sure they get what is due to them one way or another."

She takes a sip of tea and speaks mentally, "As for being wary, I may not be a fighter, but they'll find that I am not someone who bows their head lightly. I will be wary of them but when the show drops they should also be wary of me. The tides flow in both directions and I have plans of my own to strengthen my position without harming theirs."

Throndir

"Yes, from the rumours around town, the fact that you are to lead this country, at least to the Kingdom of Felothia, is not a good use of the combat potential each hero can have within them. To them, the job of management can be left up to regular humans. It's this sort of allocation that has even placed me, the High Priest of Antwarch, into the front lines when the situation calls for it."

Mysticsage

"Our placement in the world has been well-favored it seems to be protected from the worst of the fighting thank the goddesses. We will endeavor to repay them and their goodwill even if the hero dies. We are a honorable people. Though I am just a lowly servant talking about more would simply show my ignorance. I do hope that I have not taken up to much of your time. I know our hero would want to meet you in person if they could.

I will do my best, however, to show you a good time around town. As an act of our new found friendship please take your time here in our city as a much-needed vacation. And if you need anything between the time I show you around and you leave please send word to the castle. I will personally see to the matter. When would be the best time to do the tour?"

Amelia smiled, "Thank you for the warning, I will work hard to show that I have earned your concern, and I hope I can call you both friend. If you both have time to stay for a while I would appreciate any time you can spend to help train me."

"Oh, speaking of nicer topics do you both like books or any hobbies that I might point you towards? Our hero seems to be quite the bookworm though it may just be due to bed rest."

Throndir

"My wife and I were thinking of going out to explore the city, then look for dinner somewhere... If you would like, you and the hero's familiar could join us?"

QuoteKeep in mind you plan to meet with the Valkyrie at 6.

Of course hero Amelia, count the Antwarch Dragonknights among friends. We've always had a strong devotion to the goddess and the heroes, much like our neighboring Valkyrie.

Mysticsage

"I would be happy to, I won't crash your lovely evening for too long." Amelia smiled. "I'll then let you both have a wonderful date together."

Amelia will spend the rest of the early to late afternoon attempting to entertain the couple and their companions. The goal was to show them a fun night and hopefully deepen bonds and get them to relax for the evening. She will, however, bid them a good evening at 5:30.

[info]Diplomacy check to play host again
[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+8 : 18 + 8, total 26[/blockquote]
[/info]