[Jean] Chapter 10: Ceremony

Started by Throndir, January 01, 2019, 05:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

《Chapter 10: Ceremony》
Location: New World - Wind Temple of Velothia - Dalina's Home
Date: Day 3 - Morning

This morning you dreams of the city of R'lyeh, that same place that the large creature was in. It lingered in your mind, about your 'mission' that you were sent here to do. With Renenutet helping with that said goal of finding out a way for that being to ascend to godhood.

When you stirred awake, Anja had started to wake as well. Dalina, of course, was still sound asleep.

"Good morning Jean..." Anja started, then as if remembering something, her features lit up.

"You're going to come with me to training today. Well... hurry up and get ready. I'll get some breakfast going." Anja said excitedly. She crawled out of bed, then dropped down from her second bunk, being careful not to be too loud as Dalina was still asleep.

She was grinning as she zoomed out the door of the room.

QuoteNote any preparations you will do. When you finish, Anja will have some eggs again ready.

pringerbeam

Jean looked for a moment at Ren sleeping, reminded of the dream he had that night.  He shook his head and roused her from her sleep, taking care not to wake Dalina, then took his breakfast with Anja.  He also grabbed the book, tucking it into his clothes, and grabbing a quill and some ink in case he needed to write anything down.  He then followed Anja off to her training.

Throndir

Date: Day 3 - 7 AM

The journey to Anja's training didn't take very long. The girl was visibly excited for having you come along with her. Apart from Ren who followed behind you, the slimeling on your shoulder, and your white hair, the robes you had worn made you fit right in with the rest of the locals. It was during the journey that Anja explained why she requested your presence.

"You see... Yesterday, my instructor told me I should bring you with me today. He didn't tell me what for, but he told me that it was important. He specifically told me that I should bring you no matter what... Which I thought was strange... I was... kinda not myself yesterday morning, you know... about mother? But the instructor picked up on it I think."

You found out that the instructor was one of many, and there was an institution similar to a school that taught young acolytes the basics. They taught them all aspects of life on the island, then, finally once they've decided on their chosen course, they specialize further with other instructors. The schooling system was similar to the one back on earth, though, much more centered with living life on their floating islands, along with studies of their history and the Goddess of Air, and less important on other sciences or mathematics that you were used to.

Through the trip many people had cautiously looked at you, the rumours they had heard, probably not the best. But there were a few that did come up to both you and Ren, and greeted you warmly.

Location: Wind Temple of Velothia - The Wind Temple School for Acolytes
Date: Day 3 - 7:30 AM

Soon enough the three of you made your way towards the school. Anja lead the way, and finally she came into a room where a few other acolytes were already lounging around. There were plenty of birds in the room. But you noticed that not all of them looked like Dalina's bird. Some looked more like parrots, some looked like small eagles, there was even one that looked like a green-colored pigeon. There was no adult yet in the room as far as you can tell. Immediately one of the boys started shouting.

"Haha! It's Birdless!" He said, the boys around him started to giggle, along with a couple of girls.

Anja did her best to ignore them.

"We're a bit early... But I like to be prepared before the instructor comes. You can sit beside me though!" Anja said, forcing a smile while looking at you. She gestured towards the floor, where a mat was laid out.

pringerbeam

Jean sat down with Anja on the mat next to hers.  "I didn't realize not having a bird was such a thing for you."  He remarked at the other kid's jab.  "In my experience it's more normal for people to not have companions so I have a hard time seeing the big deal."  He motioned for Ren to sit with them.  "Is there anything we need to do to prepare?"

Throndir

"Everyone has one... except me." Anja said gloomily. "There really isn't much of anything else to do but to wait. For me, I like to read..." Anja showcased a book to you. It looked to be religious text.

The boy who had spoken earlier didn't relent.

"Looks everyone, she's so embarrassed she isn't talking back! And who are those anyways? That guy with the white hair and that... girl thing... sitting with us. Isn't he a bit old? You wanted to bring someone bigger than us, is that it, huh? Birdless!"

There was a couple of other whispers too, though you picked up on it.

"That's the hero and his companion, Fedya! Don't talk to him like that!"

"The hero? He doesn't look that tough. He's like an old man, with that hair!" A couple of the other boys near him were smirking,

It was at this point, that Ren, who had sat down on the other side of Anja, began to glare daggers at the kid. You noticed Ren's tentacles morph and change shape. They took on a metallic-hue as well, and became like giant sharp blades.

"Master... Let me kill it."

pringerbeam

"Don't Ren."  Commanded Jean as he reached over and put his hand on her shoulder.  "Adults are supposed to show an even hand when children get out of line."  He looked at the boy that was making the scene. "Hey kid, lay off.  There's a new sherif in town and he doesn't take your shit."

Throndir

Some of the girls covered their mouths when they heard you speak, wide-eyed they were as they stared between you and Fedya. The boy glared at you and Ren however.

"You have to get the hero to help you! Is that it Birdless? Can't fight your own fights, huh? I knew it! No wonder you haven't been given a bird yet, you're a COWARD!" The boy picked up a nearby book, and threw it at Anja.

QuoteI'll let you attempt a Reflex, or otherwise stop him before he does it if you'd like. Just beat his initiative.

[blockquote]Fedya Initiative 1d20 : 18, total 18[/blockquote]

pringerbeam

[info]Agility Save[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+11 : 15 + 11, total 26[/blockquote][/info]

Throndir

You quickly reached out, and caught the book in mid-air.

This only further upset the boy.

QuoteRequesting an actual initiative

pringerbeam

[info]Initiative[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+5 : 12 + 5, total 17[/blockquote][/info]

Throndir

[blockquote]Anja Initiative 1d20+4 : 14 + 4, total 18[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Ren Mental Resist 1d20+8 : 10 + 8, total 18[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Ren Initiative 1d20+1 : 19 + 1, total 20[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Fedya Initiative 1d20 : 13, total 13[/blockquote]

Throndir

At that moment the kid was about to pick up another book, and throw it at you. Ren was the first to react, her tentacles moved, but she shortly grit her teeth, and instead moved her tentacles in front of you as a shield.

At that same time, Anja had rushed from behind you, aiming a blow straight to the kid's face. The attack connected, and the kid was knocked out.

The rest of the kids stared in shock at what had just happened. And a second later, a voice came from the doorway.

"Class is dismissed for the rest of the day. Anja, stay put. And hero... Please stay as well."

The man began to make his way towards the front of the class, while the rest of the kids started to pick up their things, and leave. Fedya, was still left unconscious on the floor, though, you noticed that the teacher simply stepped over him.

pringerbeam

"Your pupils need to work on their manners."  Remarked Jean to the man as he sat on the floor.  "Thank you Ren for showing such restraint.  You did not need to protect me though, I doubt the child could even scratch me."

Throndir

"Forgive me for him, Fedya. His parents are in the council that governs our island, sometimes he lets that get to his head." The priest glanced at Fedya's unconscious form, then kneeled and bowed his head.

"His actions show poorly on the rest of us."

"N-no... It's my fault. I got angry... and..."

The priest raised his hand in a calming gesture.

"And you protected your own honor, as well as the hero's." The priest finished for her. "Do you know why I haven't yet pushed you through the ceremony of your bird companion, Anja?"

Anja shook her head. In response the priest smiled.

"It was a worry that I had, but no longer... You've proven that just now. Come... Anja... Hero Jean... We'll begin that ceremony." He started his way back out of the classroom. He glanced back.

"For the both of you."

pringerbeam

"I guess that would need to be done eventually."  Remarked Jean as he stood to follow the man.  "Tell me though, I'm curious as to why it has apparently taken so long for Anja to receive her bird when that young man had his.  Surely it's not a matter of maturity if that..."  He nods back to Fedya.  "Is all it takes."