[Charlene] Chapter 4: A New World

Started by Throndir, December 09, 2018, 04:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

《Chapter 4: A New World》

Making your way out of the cavern, you noticed that there was a small path that lead out from it, to a larger main road a distance away. From there, the road itself went into a walled city. It was surprising. A random cavern dungeon, that was right next to a city? Not only that, this was a large city. The architecture wasn't something you've seen before. It looked quaint and stylized. If you had to guess it gave of a German-vibe to it.

From a distance, you see two people on the road, making their way towards you. You were able to pick out what they were wearing. One had leather armor, while the other one was a girl with who held a staff with both of her hands, and wore a pointy hat, which you could only describe as a wizard hat.

akicheeto

Charlie stops for a moment to gaze at the massive city before her. She knew she was no longer in Europe, much less her own world, but this...really confirmed it.

"Toto...I've a feeling we're definitely not in Kansas anymore." Charlie murmurs. She pats the daggers on her person and takes a deep breath. Does everyone speak English? Is it even called English? What if she stands out and is mistaken as an enemy of some sort.

Charlie self-consciously looks down at the armor she's wearing over her own clothes. She probably looks a little odd given she had a hoodie and jeans and Vans sneakers but she didn't want to spend any extra gems just to fit in.

Shrugging, Charlie keeps walking. She'll worry about encounters when she gets there. Speaking of...

There was a girl just down the road wearing a wizard's hat. Wizard's hat?!

Trying to look as least threatening as possible, Charlie waves her hand in greeting.

"Hello! Could either of you...by chance tell me what city this is?"

That was a safe thing to ask...right?

Throndir

The one wearing leather armor looked to be a boy, he was younger than you at the very least. The girl looked to be of similar age to the boy. Both had been chatting merrily. It almost seemed like some sort of renaissance fair or convention to yours eyes, if not for the fact that you had seen magic-like things, and had even killed a man not too long ago.

"This town? You should know... But you don't seem like you're packed for a long travel?" The boy said hesitantly as he looked at you.

"Oh shush Lenny! I'm sorry ma'am. This is the city of Mendernich. It's the newest country here, so that might explain why you don't know... We're from the adventuring guild!"

akicheeto

Oh thank god, they spoke the same language.

Charlie sighs in relief. "Mendernich, huh? I'm also pretty new myself. What's the adventuring guild? Would that be a place where someone could learn more about, um, magic?"

Charlie looks at the boy, Lenny with a small smile but then turns her attention to the girl.

Throndir

Though they spoke the same language, you couldn't help but notice the words they were speaking didn't seem to quite match correctly with their mouth movements. If you focused enough you could almost hear different words as well, just, that when you were actually listening you understood them perfectly.

"Definitely! There's free instructors for the first week. After that you have to pay them, but it's worth it for the starting lessons. Most people take months to learn how to use it though... I've been studying and practicing for months now! And I'm able to cast my first spell!" The girl announced happily.

akicheeto

Charlie is mesmerized by the fact she could understand the words the girl was speaking and yet speak correctly in return. That's a sweet perk.

"Great! Could you point me in the direction of the adventure's guild by chance? I'm not sure how good I'll be at magic but I'd like to try at least."

Throndir

"It's at the city, it's a few blocks from that gate over there." The girl said pointed back towards town. "There is a board with all sorts of postings in it. But you can probably figure out its the guild with the amount of people outside it.

Anyways, we're off to clear a dungeon! Wish us luck!"
She exclaimed as she bowed.

QuoteJust mention where in the city you want to go.

akicheeto

"Dungeon, huh? I would avoid the one right down there. I cleared it out and there's nothing there." Charlie points behind her as she makes her way towards the city. "Thanks for the directions!"

Charlie makes her way to the city but slows down at the gate. She looks around warily and tries to see if there's anyone that's watching her or if it feels like a normal city probably would.

QuoteI want to look around and see what kind of people are around, city guards, the stores, etc and the general atmosphere.

[blockquote]Perception 1d20+10 : 13 + 10, total 23[/blockquote]

Throndir

"Oh..." The girl said, while she and Lenny stared at each other. "Well... umm.. alright! Maybe we'll see you at the guild later? I'm Heidi, and this is Lenny! We usually hang out at the tavern next to the guild hall along with a lot other adventurers!"

Heidi called out to you as you headed to the city. Heidi and Lenny themselves changed their course, instead of going to the dungeon, they started making their way towards the forest.

[info]Perception: 23
When you look around, there were some guards who stared at you, but they didn't seem to get in your way, or talk with you. Most of the people in this city seemed to be lively, and talked a lot with each other. The citizens themselves were not what you would call normal people back in your own world. Many of them had hair colors that spanned the rainbow. There were people with blue hair, green, red, white, along with the normal blonde and dark hairs. There were also people who sported animal ears, along with tails. Along with that, a lot of people were dressed up in either robes, or some sort of armor. To your eyes, just like the two you met on the road, it almost looked like some sort of renaissance faire, with people who dyed their hairs.

Once through the gates, you see a large building with a board in front of it. In front of this too were a lot of people looked at postings. Next to the building, looked to be some sort of tavern. You realized that the first building must be the guild that Heidi and Lenny had mentioned earlier.[/info]

akicheeto

Charlie peers at the board posting but decides to go into the guild building. As she steps through the threshold, she realizes that she has no money of any sort. Eh, there must be some easy way to make money right?

QuoteAny person that looks like they welcome new comers?

Throndir

It was well-furnished. There were portraits of adventurers and other famous people on the walls, along suites of armors, and weapons. A mission board was at the end as well, though, it had less postings up than the one outside. The moment you came in, you noticed there was some receptionists up front. One of them had just finished processing and talking to one of the people, an armored man with a huge grin on his face. He nodded as he passed by you.

The receptionist was free.

"Hi miss, I don't recognize you... Do you need any help?"

akicheeto

Charlie reflexively smiles back at the armored man and her eyes scans the room to see what kinds of people seem to be around.

"Uh hi, I'm pretty new here and honestly have no idea what I'm doing," Charlie chuckles. Charlie asks about the city, a little about the ruling family (if there is one) and what...does one actually do in this city.

QuoteCharlie is mostly trying to figure out the feel of the room. She also wants to see if she can find someone who looks like they might know magic because she really wants chocolate and wants to learn about mana/magic.

Throndir

The room was busy, there were people outside looking at the mission board, but there was also a board posting inside that had a couple of adventurers reading through it. Everyone seemed to be sturdy and hard, and there was a lot laughing and joking that you could hear. It seemed like the adventurers were friendly with each other.

Asking the girl the questions, she begins to answer each of them. She told you that the ruling family are the Engel family. The royal line continuing back many many generations from the founding of the country. She told you the story almost methodically, as if she had told it many times before to many other people. She also mentioned to you that their country has recently summoned a hero, and that the hero would become the new Queen. She also mentioned that the hero is currently injured, and would still perhaps be sometime until she is well enough again.

She then begins to describe the Royal City of Mendernich. From that you learned that the city wasn't always in these lands. One day, around a year ago, a quarter of the city suddenly disappeared, and was replaced by the open seas. Not only that, a large chunk of the kingdom suddenly disappeared, only to be replaced by new countries, and new people. She described it as something called a 'Shifting', and to you, it sounded like they were simply summoned into existence in this New World, much like you were by Dungeon Core 532.

She also tells you that the Guild of the city, which is, the adventuring guild you were in, had many adventurers going to and fro. She tells you about a variety of different jobs, but then finally asks.

"Are you interested in adventuring and becoming a guild member? But yes... we offer-"

Flash Sale! 99% Off on Heroic Mage Companion Gachapon!
Expires in 36 seconds.
Conditions apply.
See Terms and Agreements.
Open Cash Shop for details.

"-a week's worth of training to any adventurer. After that you have to pay of course."

akicheeto

In the middle of the girl's sentence the flash sign appears before Charlie's eyes again. She blinks a few times too many before realizing she's seen something like this before.

"Sorry, sorry I just- something came up could you give me a second? I would most definitely be interested in learning about magic and how to channel it but I need to uh, one sec." Charlie says sheepishly as she turns away and whispers Cash Shop to look at the details.

Throndir

The moment you whispered the keyword, the familiar screen appeared in front of you again. Navigating to the flash sale, it would cost 40 gems. Considering the normal price was 4,000 gems, it looked like a good deal. The picture used for it was a bunch of girls using either staves of wands, in pretty outfits. It seriously reminded you of magical girls. You have 85 gems currently.