[Hanako] Chapter 3: Herr Klein's 'Properties'

Started by Throndir, December 03, 2018, 09:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asta

"Oh!" Hanako exclaimed surprised that she actually got a response.

"Ah, my sincerest apologies I've never had the privileged of talking to a lock before. Pleased to meet you, I'm Hanako. If you don't mind I'd like to ask you some questions" she apologized in thought-speak.

Poor misstep oh her part, first impressions were important. Whatever language the lock was hearing translated from her thoughts in Japanese probably didn't have a handy gender neutral form of respectful address like -san so she had thought it out in English.

Throndir

"If it so pleases you, go ahead and ask! Yeah? So, what is it?" The lock replied back.

Asta

"Well, you see the thing is..."

Hanako proceeded to explain the general situation to the lock; debating internally on whether to be specific on how Klein had died, wondering if it may be less inclined to help after learning that she had been instrumental in his death, but she decided that honesty was the best policy and told it everything up to that point. As she finished coming to the end of her explanation it was time to ask the question.

"Do you think it would be possible perhaps, that you and your fellow locks could maybe open and let these people go? Id rather not try and force any of you to do it, since that would be rude. If uhh, there's something you may wan't in return for helping me I can do what I can."

She tried very hard to ignore the absurdity of bargaining with an inanimate object.

Throndir

"Eh? Well, you ain't no master of mine. No can do." The lock replied almost smugly.

Asta

"Right, yes that seems fair. Do you happen to retain masters after they die, or can you get a new master? And if that's the case, how does one go about becoming one?"

Naturally it couldn't be that easy. Nothing in life ever was, which is why she usually just gave up. However, this situation felt a little different. This time if she didn't see it through, other people would actually suffer the consequences for her indolence.

Throndir

"When the master dies? Well, the maker of course. It's the so-called back door put on me. There's some mumbo-jumbo that can be done to change the master too, but you need my current master for that. Some of his blood would work, or anything really. Yeah? So, what? You want to be my master or something?"

Asta

"Well if you wouldn't mind that, I would be inclined to do so. Will jewelry or other possessions of his work? Or does it have to be part of his body? Lets say he's a pile of ashes now, is that usable?"

With luck, this could be resolved before too long. The people locked in the cages needed serious care, and there were other matters she needed to find solutions for before the night was over.

Throndir

"You got some of him? Any part of his body would work. But ashes? That might not."

It was at that moment that one of the slaves spoke up.

"You've been staring at that lock for awhile now, is everything okay? Are you able to get us out?"

Asta

"Hmmm. I'll have to see what I can find. If I can find a part of him would you be able to explain how to perform the change?" she thought-spoke to the lock.

She had been so intently focused on her silent conversation that when one of the slaves spoke to her she realized just how odd she must have looked.

"Oh I'm sorry, I was... err... having a conversation with the lock, which I know sounds crazy but it's apparently something I can do. Long story short, yes, probably I can get all of you released but it's going to take some doing to accomplish it safely. What exactly needs to happen is what I'm trying to figure out. I promise you though that I'm going to get all of you free." She tried to smile reassuringly, hoping to put the slave's mind at ease though she was sure it probably didn't.

She returned her attention to the lock for a moment. "Oh, about the person who made you, can you tell me who that was?"

Throndir

"Explaining it? Me? Some mumbo-jumbo I don't know about." The lock responded back.

"You're having a conversation with the lock? The others said they have the hero, is that you?" The person who spoke looked to be a woman, she had blonde hair, but it was the ears that was unique on her, as they were long and elongated. Most of the other slaves looked to be human, though there were a few who had strange features like animal ears and tails on them.

"The person who made me? Yeah, that old chap, short, a full thick beard, barrel-like body. Don't know the name though. I was made in this city if that helps you any at least."

Asta

"One last question, do you happen to know who could tell me what needs to be done to change your master?"

To the woman she said: "People have been calling me that yes, though I'm not exactly sure I'm deserving of a lofty title like that." Hanako then sighed in a resigned fashion, "Yeah, it seems like when I got 'summoned' here or whatever I picked up some odd talents. One of them apparently lets me talk to items, so I was asking the lock how I might get it open without..." she trailed off gesturing at the twisted blackened metal of what once was another cage.

"Ive got some ideas, but it seems like we need some 'parts' of Klein as well as the process for transferring ownership of the locks to someone else. Or alternatively I need to go find whomever made them in the first place."

Throndir

"The maker, or maybe a slave trader. Or one of those people who practice the mumbo-jumbo." The lock replied.

"The others told us that you can remove the collars, will that not work on the locks? And..." She paused. "Would you be willing to remove them?"

Asta

Hanako scratched at her chin pensively before answering. "Yeah I can definitely take the collars off, that shouldn't be an issue and I'm more than happy to. These cages on the other hand are a different story. The locks are rigged to explode if someone tampers with them and if we're being honest here I don't really know the extent of my ability to do what I did with the collars. It's highly likely I can open them the same way, but if the locks decide that counts as tampering then they'll explode which I'd rather not want happening."

Oh I guess I could have asked about that huh? she thought sheepishly.

"Apologies, but another thought occurred to me. Let's say I have some mumbo-jumbo of my own that could probably unlock you. If I use that power, will you explode?"

Throndir

"Are you the master? No. And I suddenly open? Well, of course I'll blow up! I can't very well open without the master, can I?" The lock said.

It was at that moment, that you heard someone running down the stairs, a few moments later Trudy appeared with a bag.

"These were the items on him... Hanako." Trudy said, still a bit uncomfortable with using your name directly. "Except the clothing anyways. Its the bag of coins, and I threw in the jewelry in there too. There were three rings, and a necklace."

The rings inside were varied, there was a rather plain silver band, and the other two had were golden and were decorative. One had a symbol on it that was like a cross with a circle at the intersection. While the other golden ring was set with some sort of jewel. As for the amulet, it was a locket, and inside was a picture of a woman, along with a lock of hair with it.

Asta

"Right, that makes sense. Thank you for your time Mr. Lock, I'll be be back to talk with you gain soon."

Hanako breathed a small sigh of relief, it was good she hadn't carelessly tried to open the doors with her powers. She turned to Trudy, thanked her and took the bag, rifling through it to check its contents. The locket with the hair piqued her interest but before trying anything she took a few moments to explain the situation, including the conversation with the lock, to Trudy.

"That's the long and short of it" she said with a shrug. "Can't just unlock the cages like I did with the collars so we either need to talk to the guy who made them or get someone that knows how to change the owner of the lock to someone else. Hard part about that is you guys burned the body, but maybe there's some hair or skin or what-have-you stuck to the rings."

She pulled the locket out and examined the picture closer, and spoke again. At the very least I could probably unlock those collars if they promise not to try and force the locks. It won't end well for them."

While she waited for Trudy's input she tried waving the rings and locket near the locks to see if that did anything.