[Fred] Chapter 5: A Change of Leadership

Started by Throndir, September 25, 2018, 01:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

《Chapter 5: A Change of Leadership》

You had been deep into meditation, or at least what you thought could be passed as such. The people around you were indeed trying their best to be quiet and silent as they went about their own preparations, but you could still hear them bustle around. You heard the jingles of pots and pans, along with the sound of pouring water at times. Sounds of quick chopping, then the sound of fire being created. Throughout it all you continued to feel the little girl's presence as well. She stayed silent, but continued to huddle close. Altogether, it was hard to concentrate at all.

Eventually, a familiar voice rang out, interrupting your attempt at meditating.

"Attention everyone!" Lai Fen said loudly who had climbed on top of a crate.

When you opened your eyes, you noticed that there were a couple of new faces in the group as well. Along with a few more men who seemed to gather around Wen Chaoxiang《The Silent One》. There was around 50 altogether who were in the room. Lai Ju was standing just behind Lai Fen to the side.

"First off, we lost a few of us earlier in the raid... I think you guys had been talking about it already, and there are a few who are still missing. I had both Eris and Han Tu continue the search above."

"Next, We have a new member, even if potentially temporary. Or maybe two..." Lai Fen said, pointing her finger towards both you and the little girl beside you.

"We all know Fred. But the little girl beside him, for those who weren't with us on the raid, is one of the daughters of the ex-emperor. Her name..." She paused for a moment.

"Hey kid, what's your name?" She asked, not expecting any sort of answer. Indeed, the little girl just seemed to huddle closer to you.

"Well kid, til you give us a name, we'll call you Mei." Lai Fen said simply, rolling her eyes.

"Eris and Han Tu have also reported that the rest of the royal family had been hunted and killed once we let them go. The rioting up in the city is still fairly bad, and from the report, a good chunk of the city is already up in flames." Her eyes fell on the little girl.

"That said, the kid, Mei here, will be the newest member of the Dark Ravens until we can find a place for her once the fighting's calmed a bit, so everyone, I expect you all to make her feel comfortable."

She paused for a moment, looking at each and everyone of the members of the Dark Ravens.

"The last announcement is that I'm stepping down as the leader of the Dark Ravens. The replacement..." Then finally having her gaze fall on you. Before your eyes, the title that once adorned her as Lai Fen 《Leader of the Dark Ravens》, changed into Lai Fen 《Dark Raven》

"... will be Fred."

Linwelin

Fred smiled with Lai Fen's arrival. He still wasn't sure what the tears were for earlier, but couldn't help being impressed by her posturing. Despite her actions during battle, she definitely had the bearing of a leader. He kept nodding along, munching on small clusters of bird seed, not mining when 'Mei' stepped closer. If anything he was already getting used to it. But then, the unexpected occurred.

"PFFFFFFFTFTFTFT!" Fred directly sputtered out whatever seed was in his mouth, coughing and standing up. "WHAT!? NO! REJECTED! VETOED! WHY!?"
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Throndir

When Lai Fen spoke, she didn't directly answer you.

"I didn't really take the reigns when our old master died... This mantle of leadership. It was more like everyone just went along with what I did. Everyone just went along with things that I wanted to do. My own goals. My own desires. My own vengeance. My own anger. My own hatred. Do you guys remember those days? When that bastard of an emperor came, when so many of us lost are lives? And even the master? He and the others died protecting all of us..."

"Don't think I've forgotten... I screamed the most out of anyone here! I wanted to march straight to the emperor, to kill everything and anyone I can. I was prepared to, he already took my first family, and I did not want him to take any more. If it wasn't for you, Jed, I probably would have been dead too by now. But you held me back. Everyone did. And thinking back on it, it was probably for the best."

"And do you guys remember what we did for years after? We plotted and planned. We schemed here in our hideout, like little vengeful brats. And for the most part... most of us were little brats!" She grinned slightly.

"But all of you just went along with what I wanted. You do remember that it was me making most of the plotting and planning. I wanted to kill him. It was the only thing driving me. But he had too many followers and supporters. It was hard to find the right time..."

"The bastard continued to mess with the people. Han Tu... Lin... Heng... Many of you joined us after. We took you in. And that's when I realized that it was more than just the emperor that I wanted to kill. It was the nobles too. The people behind powerful sects who think they can do whatever they want. I hated them all."

"Then do you remember that day when I told everyone, we're going to be killing them all? No one opposed it. We all felt it too. That anger. That hatred. The plotting and planning that I did suddenly became a lot more tangible. We went on raids, hunting down the lesser of the nobles that were corrupt. Killing them one by one. Then taking their things and handing them out to people."

"We're all branded as criminals, and in all honesty, we're probably a large cause of that fighting going above us right now. But you know what? The bastard is dead. Wasn't it revenge that we were seeking for in the first place? I'll never forget what he did to master. Or all the atrocities the rest of those in power did. Han Tu, do not forget your mother. Or Chaoxiang, your daughter. Or Lin, your brother."

"For me, that bastard emperor took almost everything I cared about! I hated him the most! Believe me, I would kill him over and over again if I had to! He deserves death a thousand fold!" Lai Fen had been yelling, but she paused to calm herself.

"And look... we've finally did it. That bastard emperor is dead! But also... but also the city above us is in turmoil for things that we've set in motion. I know there are innocents up there being killed right now. I know there'll be more people like us... without anyone to turn to. I know more will be living on the streets. Master probably would have told me that what we did was wrong too."

"But... but this is what I wanted to do! And everyone just went along with the vengeance that I carried with me for years! And now... and now it's complete. That bastard is dead, but for some reason... I don't feel complete."

"There's nothing more I want from the rest of you guys... You've done enough for me, and I'll forever be in your debt for letting a kid like me get you all caught up in my vengeance. But you all stayed with me. It's why..."

"It's why everyone here is family."

She finally turned towards you, her eyes meeting your gaze.

"Fred. I find it laughable that so many give the heroes honor, when there are already other heroes in this world who haven't done anything for us. The Baolong Dynasty, that country everyone turns a blind eye to on the horrors their government commits. Including you heroes... But, you're also a symbol of hope for many of us."

"Me? I'm just a nobody who wanted to kill the emperor. I'm probably the one who gives the Dark Ravens a bad name anyways. But you, Fred, you're different. Even if you were some sort of bird back in your own world, which, I still find hard to believe... Here, you are something else. If there's anyone who's going to pull the rest of the country out of this turmoil, it's going to be a figure they all believe in and turn to..."

"And that's you, Fred."

Linwelin

Fred's panicked, rejecting stance slowly eased as Lai Fen carried on, detailing her actions since taking the leader's mantle. I knew she had her vengeance to settle with the emperor guy, but hearing how almost everyone here had suffered a similar loss...she hadn't been joking that he was an awful human. Seeing how much she was getting out of her head, Fred let her continue without any interruption, even when he was addressed.

"...Fine, I'll take the mantle. You're logic is sound enough, but you forgot one thing..." Fred paused before giving a meaningful smirk, "Nothing goes entirely to plan when I'm involved!" He turns to address everyone else, "Everyone! I don't know what the rules were before I was leader- hell, I don't even know much of anything about you all- but I've decided my first action as Leader of the Dark Ravens. I'm going to need some extra support before I can hope to lead you all, so we'll be having TWO vice-leaders now."

Fred turns back to Lai Fen, "Let me ask you a quick question, 'VICE-LEADER' Lai Fen. If people here stopped you before when they thought you were doing the wrong thing, why didn't they stop you at any other point? That whole 'going along with your whims' thing? There's a word for that: LEA-DER-SHIP. They agreed with what you were doing. And the work isn't done! We have an empire to pacify. I look forward to working with you-" He spins a little to gesture his arm to the rest of the room, "And all of you to make that happen. I hope a great family like this will welcome me."

"Oh, and Lai Fen? I wasn't just 'some sort of bird'."

"I was a raven."

GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Throndir

[info]Heroic Action Point Earned[/info]Notifications appeared in your head, a new title, along with another stat increase.

[okay]You have gained a new title『Leader of the Dark Ravens』
You have gained +1 CHA[/okay]Upon your words of there being two vice leaders, there were a murmur of support from the rest. The other members of the Dark Ravens had been shocked at the announcement, some of them still attempting to process what had just happened.

"That's a marvelous idea oh handsome hero! ☆" Jed was the first one to break the silence. "You hear that my honeys? The Handsome Hero himself will be our new leader!"

"Fred! There's nothing else left for me to want to do... Look, the death of my master has been avenged. I never wanted to be the leader in the first place."

Linwelin

"I thought so, too, Jed." He gave a bright, semi-mischievous smile at his actions. "And that's not true, whether you know it or not, Lai Fen. You're just as upset about demi slavery as the rest, right? And you'd like to live in a peaceful town, yes? Well, those are two things I see above ground that still haven't been accomplished. If you're not going to step up and do it, then you're going to help ME as I do. Like it or not, you're the most experienced at leading this group. And if you're signing me up for this, I'm dragging you in with me!"

"Now, on to my second request as your leader." He scanned the room. "Teach me." Fred casually sat down where he stood, taking a relaxed position while the group mulled over his statement. "You're all combat experts in some form, and know the inner workings of this empire much better than a newborn like me. I need information if I'm going to help you all. What weapons am I best suited to wield? How can I use Ki like the rest of you? Are there any other abilities I should be aware of, and try to learn?" He paused to then switch information topics. "And socially, what should I NOT do? Are there people I should avoid? Do we have allies? How does this slavery work? Who are the enemies of our agenda?"

He bowed his head in a semi-pleading manner. "I don't even necessarily know how to act around people in general. I need guidance if I'm to lead you all. Please, teach me whatever you can that will help me lead you."
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Throndir

Lai Fen looked like she wanted to say something, but she couldn't find the words.

"Ehehehe... My brother! H-hehehe... My brother.... m-my brother..." Deng Lin《The Bloodied》 said, as her memories came flooding back in. Her demeanor changed. "Hero Fred is right though..." She said a bit more calmly as she covered her face with her bandaged hands.

"You pulled me out of it Lai Fen... hehe"

"Mmm, it's... true." Duan Jun《Dark Raven》continued as she stifled a yawn.

"You've been the one guiding us for all this... time..."

"Hmph! All this talk... It's not like I personally wanted to be here! This place is just... comfy!" She paused as if trying to find the right words to say, she continue in a quieter voice.

"Having you lead us was comfy, is all."

Cai Yuhan《Mass Killer》 spoke next.

"I will kill again for this family."

The masked Wen Chaoxiang《The Silent One》, along with the other men who surrounded him nodded in agreement at Cai's sentiments.

"We looked up to the few adults who were with us... but it was you who lead." Duan Cai《Dark Raven》 as she saluted Lai Fen.

Jed strode up to the crate Lai Fen had stood on. Being as tall and large as he was, they were eye-level. The large man proceeded to grab and lift Lai Fen in a large bear hug.

"Jed... You know I don't like to be touched." Lai Fen said dangerously, but she let herself be lifted up and squeezed in the man's embrace.

"You must help our hero and new leader my honey. ☆ Stay as his vice-leader." Jed said as he let go of her. Lai Fen groaned and rolled her eyes.

When you asked the room to teach you, Abrielle Moreau《Cold-Blooded》 spoke up.

"My, my, my, not only is the hero good-looking, he's quite respectful too." She smiled. "Chin up. you're the hero, you bow to no one."

"Fred..." Lai Ju said again, this time, not quite as bashful. "Of course we'll teach you..."

The Hudson sisters, Moliane and Oliana came in then, bringing a cart full of various foods, along with dishware. The fires that were stoked earlier had been cooking a large cauldron which was filled with soup.

QuoteWe can either paraphrase, or RP out the scene, while food is consumed and questions answered.

Linwelin

"That title means nothing to me until I can back it up. And right now, I can't." Fred said bluntly to Abrielle, standing back up. "I may have been summoned as a hero, but other than supporting the combat, I've not done anything noteworthy. I can recognize my own weakness compared to everyone else."

He then nodded to Lai Ju, "Thank you, I look forward to it. Oh, by the way, I tried sensing 'Ki' earlier, when you all left for a moment. There was some strange...well, I feel like it's best described as a lake, inside me. I know I never felt that in my other world, is that it? Did I manage that 'meditation' you mentioned before?"

Fred noticed the food being carted out before him, and his eyes immediately began to shimmer in excitement. "I've never been able to eat like this before! It looks delicious, thank you!" He began to gather food and take his seat like he'd seen in his past life. Both actions proved a bit more difficult than he'd expected, but thanks to his dexterity, he managed to adapt to the actions after a couple attempts. He purposely left space next to him for the little girl that wouldn't let go of his shirt, as it'd be too awkward to just have her standing behind him.

"So first, tell me about yourselves! Dreams, aspirations, hobbies, likes and dislikes. Take your pick! And feel free to ask me anything."

Finally, a normal, calm group conversation! It's a dream come true! Thank you, God!
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Throndir

"A lake? It's not something like a lake when I picture it... It feels more like a steady stream, that if I take from it, more gets refilled quickly."

Eris Alaster《Dark Raven》 perked up, hearing your description.

"That description sounds like mana actually... When everyone else was first trying to teach me how to use Ki, I just assumed it was the same thing."

"Ms. Eris... you just learn way too fast..."

When the food was delivered, the little girl sat beside you and peered at the contents too. She seemed to have made a face of disgust however.

You noticed Oliana Hudson《Knife Juggler》kneeling behind you.

"My lord, your ordeals to get here must have been harsh, please allow me to ease you." With that she began to place her hands on your shoulder.

"If there is anything else you need, please don't hesitate to ask." The other sister, Moliane Hudson《Dark Raven》, said.

"My! It looks like our new leader is already trying his best to get to know everyone.That's quite commendable of you, hero." Abrielle Moreau《Cold-Blooded》. "Then... I shall go first. My name is Abrielle Moreau, I am... or... was a noble in my own country, before joining this band of merry thieves. Like the old leader, I watched over the many here... There is no home that I have to return to, so the Dark Ravens have become my family."

She smiled wistfully.

"Actually! Why not introduce yourself? A couple of us saw you being summoned... appearing out of nowhere, but how was life in your previous world?"

Linwelin

"A stream, huh? I'll keep trying, then." Fred noted thankfully to Lai Fen. "And mana? I do have a skill called 'Mana Sensitivity', so maybe the reason I can detect it so easily is related? How do I use mana, Eris?" Fred asked excitedly.

Fred was surprised by Oliana's offer, enjoying the light massage. Admittedly, it felt a bit awkward to be the only one receiving it, but he wasn't about to pass up the experience. I had no idea humans could enjoy something like this, I always thought the best feeling was a good scratch with the beak or talon. This is so...calming. He couldn't help a light sigh. I most certainly won't, but I won't be greedy either. After all, I still feel it's unfair to get preferential treatment when I'm a skill-less as I am now."

He immediately began to try the food before him, doing his best to recall how these utensils were used. His grip was awkward, to say the least, but he did finally manage to get a morsel into his mouth and chew. His face immediately lit up. "Mmmf! Delicious! I can't believe I've missed out on something like this all my life. What is it!?" Of course, Fred had eaten human food before, but it was usually cold, and bird taste buds worked differently. Thus even the least exceptional food was acceptable, or even gourmet compared to what he'd tasted before.

"Country? Hmm...Ah, I remember that word now. Then I take it you're not native to this land, Abrielle? I suppose that may actually be true for many of you?" Fred spoke his internal question aloud as he worked out what he'd been told. "As for myself, well. There's not too much to really speak to that you'd understand or be interested in. I was a bird, a raven actually. Pretty coincidental, right?"
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Throndir

"Mostly everyone uses it for spells... But I have this special ability that makes use of my mana too. How magic works is invoking one of the elements, then chanting some words to give it form."

"At least that's how Jed taught me."

"My, my, my, the leader of the Dark Ravens was..." Abrielle furrowed her eyebrows.

"... a raven?"

A couple of the others too looked at you curiously.

"Truly? Is that even possible? Why are you a human now...?"

Abrielle looked on you, but continued answering.

"I am not from this country! My, it was years and years ago now that I think about it... I was in fact from a different world too, much like yourself. This phenomena called the 'Shifting' has been occuring here for over a hundred years now. Why... for me, I was travelling to visit my relatives, when the shifting occured, and I suddenly found myself... here. I didn't know at first, when it happened, I thought the skies had just briefly darkened and shimmered. It wasn't until the road I was travelling on suddenly stopped, as if the land itself was cut with a blade, then placed right on top of something else, that I realized something was wrong!"

"Not long after, some hooligans had found us... My dear coachman tried to put up a fight of course, along with the guards I had hired, but the rascals threw balls of fire and bolts of lightning at us! Imagine my surprise! People throwing around balls of fire? Quite ridiculous, wouldn't you say?"

"Needless to say, they captured me, drugged me, brought me here, sold me, and after I killed the degenerate that claimed me as a slave, I found myself in with the Dark Ravens."

Linwelin

"Ohhhh~? So Jed can cast magic? And you as well? Can either of you show me something basic? If can feel this energy, I want to try." Fred says, his curiosity building even further.

"It's the truth! And I'm just as surprised as you are that I'm human. After all, I'd just died. But the guy I met just kinda...made me into this when I was 'summoned'." Fred said with a shrug of confusion himself. "And 'shifting'? You were from another world, as well? This place is just getting stranger and stranger. Showing up from different worlds. Throwing fire and lightning. It's been a lot to take in, I tell ya."
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Throndir

"Oh honey! ☆ I can cast magic as well as anyone else! Earth magic is what speaks to the heart! If you'd like handsome hero..."

"I can give you private lessons later." Jed winked at you.

"I can cast all four elements... along with darkness. Everyone tells me that's rare, but, I don't actually use it very often. I haven't really taught anyone before hero... but I can show you a bit of what it's like."

The moment Eris mentioned showing it off, the room erupted all at once.

"That's a little dangerous?"

"Ohoh, Eris dear, please don't!"

"Oh honey ☆, maybe we can do that outside..."

"Ehehehe... Do it! Boom!"

"Mmm, if you... are... I'm... going back to... sleep..."

"Eris! I just fixed my dress. Hmph! If you're burning more, then you're in charge of stitching everything back right up!"

"Please do! This is a perfect time to test your spells..."

"A guy that you met? You mean the emperor?"

"I very well was in a different world, dear hero! Some of us here have similar stories... Especially those who come from worlds when only a village or town was taken, and everything else was left behind. They made the perfect targets for raids, where everyone would be sold as slaves to the war effort, or any of the other countries."

Linwelin

For some reason, a shiver went down Fred's spine. His gut told him that Jed's offer was not an entirely good idea.

Taking a hint from the crowd, Fred realized that she probably didn't use magic often for the sake of her allies. Whatever it is, it sounds dangerous, and hard to control. He chuckled nervously as he responded. "We can save the demonstration for later. How about just finding out what my potential is? You both said you have specialties; it sounds like you can't just choose your affinity, so how can you tell?"

"No, no, not the dead guy. This was before being summoned here. Like in between my world and this one. I think he called himself...'God'?" He waved his hand dismissively at the thought that it was the emperor.

"Sold to other countries? So slavery isn't just an issue in this place, but the whole world? That's a bit sickening." Fred couldn't help but frown. He didn't fully understand the concept of slavery, but he at least realized that it was basically forcing someone to live lower on the 'food chain'. Like a lion being treated as a hyena. "Well, let's try to change that as much as we can."

GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Throndir

"From what I was told... normally one is to train for awhile attempting to use magic, then 'feel' within, for any change. Normally this helps the person figure out where mana is and how it feels like. This step is actually the hardest for most people... Sometimes even a mage can take months to learn to even sense mana in the first place. But... from your description, it looks like you can already sense mana? It's... actually similar to me when everyone first found me..."

"After that, is being able to move and manipulate the mana you sense inside you. Again, moving mana is a different thing that being able to sense it, and this step usually takes another few weeks or months of attempting and application... For whatever reason, it came naturally to me too though, and I was able to move it without much problem... Mana itself is invisible to the naked eye, even if one can sense and manipulate it, it's only after it's turned into a spell, with an actual manifestation, that you can make use of it."

"You're the handome hero of the Dark Ravens! ☆ I'm sure you can do it... Let's see, you can sense that large pool in you? Imagine... grabbing it with an imaginary set of hands, cupping it so that it won't spill, and moving it out of that pool, into... here."

QuoteDue to having techniques Sense Mana and Use Mana, you are able to do this just fine, feel free to describe it. You are able to see it as motes of light.

"God?" Filiane Darkspinner《Dark Raven》asked in amazement. "You mean... the goddess? Aren't the summoned heroes said to be of the goddess herself..?"

"It's a sad state of affairs, it truly is...! There was slavery in my world too, though my family treated ours well, and we didn't many of them... We even paid them too."