[Zurlane] Chapter 5: The End of a Kingdom

Started by Throndir, September 12, 2018, 09:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Licel

Zurlane remounted his horse. The message was clear to him. The goddess did not have a place for him either it would seem... but there was one who did.

Before he could ever leave, he thought. He at least had to speak with Alvilda first, and if he was about to be stabbed in the back by this circumstance he found himself in, he could at least say goodbye first.

Zurlane turned his horse and rode off hard after the cart that he last rested Alvilda in.
Thank you for letting me fight in the war.

Throndir

You rode your horse hard, to catch up to the wagon. Your had your horse sprint, so catching up was relatively simple, once there you found the wagon Alvilda was in. She was being tended to another Valkyrie. The Valkyrie were wiping her forehead. You noticed too that they had stripped her armor off, and she was in more comfortable clothing. Someone had also wrapped her in a couple of bandages, with some parts of it stained red with blood.

Licel

"Sister, how is she doing?" Zurlane called out to the Valkyre tending to Alvilda. His horse ridden up close keeping pace with the cart."Is there anything I can do to help you and to lessen her suffering?" He said with great concern.

Throndir

The Valkyrie shook her head.

"Only time and rest shalt heal her wounds..."

The moment you spoke however, Alvilda's eyes fluttered open.

"Mine hero..." Alvilda said as she brought up a weak smile. She continued laying on the makeshift bed that they created for her. "I hear we shalt be meeting the queen soon..." She said weakly, as her voice started to get more faint.

"I'm glad... Tis my desire for thee to meet with... with mine mother... for art that I am thy... companion..." With that she started to doze again. The Valkyrie tending to her checked her vitals.

"She is exhausted and tired... She's used too much of both her Spirit and Mana, and pushed herself to her limit."

Licel

Upon hearing Alvilda speak Zurlane couldn't help but smile. This is someone that cared for him. Someone that valued him for him, someone that he felt he could truly trust, and he couldn't help but need her.

With a bright flash of intensity Zurlane quickly went up to the nearest Valkyrie on foot, called out to her. "Sister, take this." Jumped off his horse and ran as fast as he could to the cart.

He grabbed right onto the side of the cart and pulled himself up and in.

When Zurlane made it into the cart he sat right down beside Alvilda and helds her hand. Unsure of what to do he proceeded to rub the side of her face and hum. Ocasionally he would look up at the other Valkyre tending to Alvilda but said nothing.

Throndir

Eydis flew down to you as well.

"Mine hero... We shalt be meeting the queen soon... With both the princess and Iona the way they are, tis falls to me to tell the queen what hath happened in Hiedelswatch. Tis would be of great help and honor if thee can accompany me for it."

Licel

Zurlane nodded though it pained him to leave Alvilda's side. He kissed her hand and rose. walked to the edge and stepped off the cart to the ground.

He asked Eydis to lead the way and after walking a little bit at Eydis' side He turned his head to her talk as they were walking. "Eydis... I'm a little scared to meet her. Do you think she'll like me?"

While he is walking Zurlane looks around. He remembers that moment that he ran to assist that badly injured Valkyrie fighting in the city center before he was forced to retreat. He looks around to see if she made it out.

Perception

[blockquote]Rolled 1d20+3 : 14 + 3, total 17[/blockquote]

Throndir

Eydis reached out to hold your hand.

"Surely the queen will. Art thou not our Summoned Hero? Forsooth, tis told that tis thee who shalt save our race... Look o'er yonder, that one on the front is our queen. Queen Ingrid Hierdsvain."

"High Mage Eydis... Where art Princess Alvilda and High General Iona?" The queen asked. Like the rest of the Valkyrie she wore armor, though, much like the rest of them, there was still a good amount of skin showing. It was surprising to think that this lady in front of you was Alvilda's mother, as she didn't look that old at all. She looked as if she could pass as Alvilda's older sister instead. She moved with surety and confidence however, and her eyes were stern. She glanced at you.

"And pray tell, who is this?"

Licel

Distracted by how beautiful the queen was, for just a second Zurlane froze mid stride, forgetting everything around him and everything that had happened for a moment. His next action he did instinctively.

Through his injuries and pain his back snapped into perfect posture his legs snapped together so that his boots clicked and his hand went up into a fiery salute as if he was a soldier again addressing a higher ranking officer. "Staff Sargent Zurlane Rhomedes, 175 Guards Rifle Brigade, Escyae Defense Force."

Realizing what he had just done, he paused and felt embarrassed for a moment but maintained his salute. His eyes quickly darted left and right while he thought about what to say next and then continued. "And summoned hero your majesty. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

Throndir

The queen smiled knowingly, though her gaze to you was softer and gentler, than how some of the other Valkyrie looked towards you, which seemed to be a bit more hungry.

"Ah, so mine daughter succeeded in summoning... Tis must have taken a lot from her." She glanced at Eydis as if expecting an answer to her previous question.

"Mine queen... Iona was assaulted by a demon and thusly was she taken down... She is still recovering from her ordeal. Alvilda hath succeeded in the summoning, tis true, but she hath suffered many awound in the fight against the demons, she is being tended to as well. A sad day, for both art not conscious."

"I see..." The queen turned back towards you. "Zurlane, mine name is Ingrid Hierdsvain, and thy've met one of mine daughters, Alvilda, hath you not? Praytell, what does thou think of her?"

Licel

Zurlane takes the question inside himself and holds it, he closes his eyes. Then once the words come to him, after a few seconds pass, he opens his eyes and speaks. "Ohh your majesty, Alvilda is simply wonderful. She fights with tenacity and determination in spirit, of the kind, I have never before seen. She carries herself with confidence and grace that is inspiring to behold. However, I think the most stunning thing about her, is her heart, large and caring. You have raised her well in these times of war and I applaud you sincerely for that. You are strong as a queen that your people look up to, and stronger still as a mother." With that he bows with a small smile.

Throndir

"I am glad. I am looking forward to meet my future granddaughter." She said without looking at your reaction. She instead turned towards Eydis.

"Our losses art heavy this day. We've lost a quarter of all the remaining Valkyrie... Mine fear that we hath tarried too long tis true. Without the stronghold of Hiedelswatch, we must warn the southern countries of the breach. The Antwarch Knigdom and Felothia further yonder south is exposed."

She turned back towards you.

"Tis foretold that a summoned hero shalt save our kingdom... But hardly any of it is left. New heroes art varied in their abilities when they first arrive to our world... Zurlane Rhomedes, how adept are thee with the sword? Or art thou a mage?"

Licel

Zurlane blushed at the Queen's suggestion that he help give her a granddaughter.

Zurlane nodded as the queen explained the story of the hero that was prophesied to save them. He took a moment to think but then he answered. "I think my gifts that I can offer to you and your people are two fold. First and foremost I spent the last 8 years fighting alongside a ragtag group of veterans and partisans without a kingdom or home to call our own. We learned to live without many comforts and were always light on supplies. I hope that my experiences can come in handy for us. For example the plan that we used to escape was one i used back then... We called it Slash and Burn. As for my powers... One of them I have yet to unlock... The other I'd like to explain..." Zurlane lowered his head and took a deep breath.

"...There is a being that lives inside me, Sent with me by the goddess, someone from my past life. Her name is Aurora and she has been with me since my second hour of life. Before, she was an emotionless and souless machine who did as I asked. Now She has emotion and free will. She serves as my bodyguard and can do many things including the ability to fire a mana railgun that she used to save Alvilda and I's life... but that is not what I wished to tell you... You see tt was not a demon that incapacitated High General Iona... It was Aurora." Zurlane looked up into the Queen's eyes, his eyes beginning to tear

" I do not know why... we were only talking alone and Aurora used the last of her mana, which rendered hers unconscious. Because of this I can not ask her why she did what she did. Originally, when Aurora fired her last mana railgun, I believed she had killed Iona and so I was going to take her body to Alvilda to explain what happened but I discovered that she was still alive and I was terrified. I went into a building nearby and tried to understand what had happened when all of the sudden Winona called out looking for Iona and I answered... When She entered, she saw me with my sword drawn, afraid and unsure of what to do my weapon pointed at Iona's unconscious body. I had never had Aurora betray me and it didn't make sense, nothing that happened makes sense. Winona came over to me. She talked to me... She convinced me to let her take Iona away and she bandaged her..."

Tears rolling down his face, in shame he continued. "... I wanted you to know the truth. I know that it was not my fault but... Aurora has free will. I can not control her... and she dies with me if you see this would be acceptable justice. I also do truly care for Alvilda and before all of this... I could have seen myself happy with her... but I would understand if... Please if I am to be banished or to be executed... Please let me at least say goodbye to Alvilda." Quietly he sat down on his knees and looked over at Eydis and then to the queen then looked down and sobbed bitterly.

Throndir

She turned towards Eydis then.

"High Mage, from whence did thy hear a demon hath attacked our High General?" The queen stared at her. Eydis shifted uncomfortably, then lowered her gaze and kneeled.

"Mine queen, tis was the rumors the other Valkyrie hath said... Tis Audhild, my queen, that hath started the rumor. After she hath claimed the High General was killed by an demonic assassin she hath took commandeth of about a score of Valkyrie during our evacuation and plan to escape. She hath said that the hero himself, Zurlane, hath approved, and thus we did not question. In the thick of battle, tis true that we needed someone to lead what General Iona hath been leading."

"Then... hero Zurlane, tis thee that hath claimed the death of Iona by a demon? Mayhaps indeed twas to protect this... 'Aurora'. But mine question hero, is why did thou take the High General into the building with thy sword drawn?" She narrowed her eyes slightly. "Tis true that possession art a tactic demons doth employ... Art thou sure this Aurora is as she claims to be? A voice in thy head surely is a sign of possession, tis not?"

She hesitated slightly.

"Hero Zurlane, art thou sure of the existence of Aurora?"

Licel

Zurlane looked up at the queen. "I told Audhild that a demon attacked both General Iona and I... I thought that it would be better that everyone thought a demon than... something inside me... had done that..."

Zurlan looked back at Eydis and the queen."General Iona is going to be ok isn't she?She can't be dead! No no no no no!"

Zurlane put his hands on either side of his head. "I assume you Aurora is real, Urania made her real and brought her back, just for me. She is a my only connection to my past life and I gave half of my soul so that she could come here with me. I... I drew my sword because I trusted Aurora that much... I didn't hurt general Iona though not a hair on her head. I brought her into another building alone so that I could have time to think, so that we wouldn't be attacked by a real demon. I did not want this, were I somehow possessed I would have killed Iona insilence and secrete. I didn't I called out for help... please you have to believe me..."

Zurlane raised his hands up begging to the Queen."Where I am from Valkires, magic, demons, and queens are the stuff of story books, that is why I drew my sword in that room alone. This world is terrifying to me my queen, even though I felt that Aurora had struck an innocent person and one who was very important to you... She was also all I had left. Since a child, sang to me in the darkness like my mother would when no one else around me would. My heart was broken my queen... it still is...and now it sounds as though Aurora broke your heart as well..."

Zurlane cleared his throat. "If I may your majesty Aurora's last words to me were that She had lied to me... She had enough mana left to fire one more projectile which... She hid from me... I don't know why... but then she then asked me if I thought that beings like her could sleep. She was originally a being that... well... if she ran out energy she would be forever dead. She didn't know if she was going to come back to me and she risked death to save me from something. There has to be more to this... don't you think?"

Zurlane looked down. "Who do you love more than anyone or anything else in the world my queen? What would you do if they had struck down Iona... and you were me? Who would you believe? I tell you this because I have to believe that the truth will set us free."