[Pili] Chapter 2: Spirit Forest

Started by Throndir, August 04, 2018, 03:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fellow Rabbit

Pili

He perked up at the suggestion. Pili? He rather liked it. Was that how they were named, too? Was 'Fora' also the name of some kind of other nut that he hadn't heard of. He would like to try whatever nut that would be, too!

"I... I love it!" he chirped. The idea of being associated so closely with something he had come to enjoy the taste of so much was perfect! And it would forever be a reminder of what he believed he owed both to himself and everyone he cared about: to bring back the pili tree. And also saving the forest. The two ideas were slowly beginning to grow synonymous in his mind.

He was tempted to jump into Fora's arms again and give her another big hug, but he fought the urge. Although it now felt official that he was part of their group, he wasn't even entirely sure the first hug was something he was comfortable doing. It just sort of happened. Instead, he scuttled over to the gathering of food and retrieved two walnuts, which he gave to both Fora and Pea (whom he finally caught the name of as the butterfly repeated it a third time). He also went to get a blueberry for himself.

"I must ask before I forget again." He held the now-half-eaten blueberry in his paws as he started to jog his memory. "Since I got here, I started to see these markings in front of me. Things I've never seen before, but somehow I can understand them. 'Summoned Hero'. 'Shock Absorber'. Mana Sensini- mimty'. I don't understand what this means. What is a 'blessing'?" He knew what blessing was supposed to mean, but the context it was used in seemed... different. It was nagging on the edge of his mind since he arrived in the third world, but things just kept happening and he very nearly forgot. It would be hard to ignore these markings if they kept appearing, and the distraction of not knowing what they were could be a big problem if he ever found himself in a bind and needed to think quickly. Plus they very well just might be important. This butterfly apparently know about it, since it knew to tell him about 'Status'. The more information he could gather now, the better.
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in horuls Db Mt Lr Ts Fl Pd Es Rg Mt Ag Bk Ag Sb Au W Fr Og Ra Er voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Throndir

The two squirrels began jumping in glee. Especially Fora who had given the name. Pea was nodding in agreement vigorously.

"The blessings are a gift from the goddess." The fairy said. "Blessings are things that you get that are beyond what you normally could have done... For example, if suddenly you got the ability to fly, that would be a blessing because normally... squirrels like you can't."

"There are some that are similar... Such as the one you have that lets you understand spoke and written languages... However, unfortunately... Blessings are unique and are sometimes very different. Sometimes you just have to experiment to figure out what your specific blessing can do. What are your blessings? Did Status show you?"

Fellow Rabbit

Pili

Pili was intrigued by the possibilities of what this could mean. He could fly? Back in his home, he counted jumping across the branches of the trees among the greatest of feelings because it was the closest he could ever get to flying. To learn how to fly for real would be one of his most fantastic dreams come true. He dropped the half-eaten blueberry he had been holding and inched in a little closer to the butterfly as he listened.

"So I could do things that other creatures would be able to do?" His takeaway was mainly that he could copy what the other animals of the forest could do. Flying would be one thing, but what else? Could he pounce or bite like the red-furred creature? Could he dig like a gopher? Could he turn into a snake and squeeze the creatures that made him mad until they died? Actually, that was a little morbid. Maybe that one wouldn't be so great.

"Status!" he said again. This time he was a bit more excited about what it had to say. As the words again began to appear before him, he started to skim through it. Much of it he was still uninterested in since it didn't make sense, but when he reached the final two lines, he began to repeat what he saw. "It says I am a quick learner. I have mana sensi-vimy, great mana senisimy, translate all, personal status, shock absorber, and-" the idea of the last one sent his mind reeling with possibilities. "-multiply."

He had caught up just as the words began to fade again, and he returned his focus to the butterfly in hopes that it could explain the ones he couldn't understand.
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in horuls Db Mt Lr Ts Fl Pd Es Rg Mt Ag Bk Ag Sb Au W Fr Og Ra Er voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Throndir

When the Status screen appeared, the first thing you noticed was that your new name was at the top. You didn't recognize the characters, but you knew it was your name.

[okay]Pili
Summoned Hero
Level 15

Condition: Uninjured, Refreshed

HP: 34/34
MP: 40/40
STR: 14 +
DEX: 25 +
CON: 22 +
INT: 10+
WIS: 10 +
CHA: 15 +
MAG: 26 +

Blessings: Quick Learner, Mana Sensitivity, Greater Mana Sensitivity, Translate All, Personal Status, Shock Absorber, Multiply

You have 3 unspent ability points.[/okay]"Yes... Every hero's powers can differ from any others though..." The fairy replied. "Let's see..."

"Quick Learner allows you to learn much faster than the average squirrel. Much much faster. You will find that just be putting some measure of effort into learning something, you will be quicker on the uptake. You will gain insights as you use your powers and abilities... You'll be able to pick up new skills faster too. You will get stronger and stronger. You'll rise above every other creature here, even me. If the fairy queen were still with us, you would have risen above her as well."

"Next is your Mana Sensitivity... This allows you to see mana, sense it, and use it. Usually this sort of thing takes years to practice for non-magical creatures. Some people never learn it as well. Most of the animals in this forest, for example, even though they have mana within them, cannot sense or access it."

"Greater Mana Sensitivity... That one I believe is the reason you can see me. As how I am. To others out there, I would be invisible to them. Or, perhaps, even just a ball of light. I can focus my powers to be visible, but that takes my own power to do, and it's not something I can continue to maintain. The reason why the animals can see me, is because they've spent enough time here in the forest, and they are who we form bonds with. They are kindred to spirit, more so than the humans. I am one of the protectors of this forest, I am a being made out of mana and spirit."

"Translate All allows you to understand and read any kind of language. Though, writing it would still be beyond your grasp, until you learn it yourself."

"As for Shock Absorber and Multiply... Those must be your unique powers. Special abilities that only you have."

The moment you said 《Multiply》, some characters appeared in your field of vision, like before, you could understand it. This time however, the notification wasn't fading away. You also felt just slightly more tired.

[okay]Multiplier: x2[/okay]

Fellow Rabbit

Pili

There was a lot of info to take in all at once. Quick Learner sounded like an extremely convenient blessing for him. He may have lived in a forest his whole life, but evidently there was so much more to the world - this world, anyway - that he had never even imagined before. Without this extra learning power, he wasn't sure he would be much more than a burden. The two Mana Sensitivity blessings, even if he had a hard time pronouncing them, seemed useful in their own way as well. Particularly if that was the only way he could see this strange butterfly. Translate All did exactly what he thought it did, and it looked like he had already been using that one since his appearance in the second world. He hadn't thought of making the marks he had been reading on his own yet. Being a Quick Learner would come in quite handy there if he understood it correctly.

He was only partially distracted when a new line showed up over his vision, and slightly more so when he felt some of his energy just drain away. It was a shame the butterfly tell what exactly Multiply meant based on its name, because he may have accidentally just did whatever it does.

"I see something else," he said, "It says 'Multiplier: x2'. What do I do?" he was slightly in a panic, not knowing what he had done or why he was suddenly more tired than before. Would this happen every time he said the word? For all its trouble, it had better be useful.

Throndir

"Well... Multiplier means... to multiply..." The fairy said thinking about it.

"So..." She paused.

"I don't know!" Finally giving her answer.

Fellow Rabbit

Pili

He could feel a tiny bit more panic rising in his small body. Suddenly losing such a sizable amount of energy like that was quite alarming, especially for a squirrel, who not only didn't have a lot of energy to begin with, but whose instincts told him that he needed to be at the height of his game at all times in case he was faced with unexpected danger. Whatever he had done that cost him this much energy was something he knew he would have to quickly learn to control, and at the same time learn if it was even worth the cost.

He reeled his mind with what might answer that second concern. He tried simply willing the words away, but barring that, and trying not to let his tiny panic attack show to the others around him, he was having little luck. It occurred to him how awkward it was learning this and seeming so naïve to the ways of this world in front of all these folk who were apparently looking to him for protection.

"Move!" he found himself saying to the words aloud without realizing, albeit quietly. He quickly covered his mouth with his paws in reaction, and if squirrels could smile sheepishly, he would have been doing just that behind the cover of his hands. He glanced up at the butterfly creature again. "I mean... done reading?" Again, the words remained, much to his frustration.

Okay, he had to clear his mind. While panicked. Somehow. He took a moment to reason things out. Multiply. What else could that mean but making copies of something? What did that mean, though? Copies of himself? Copies of other things? Copies of his own thoughts that would be sent out to others? What if he could use it to multiply his energy? Would that work? He would certainly like some of that back.

He flicked his tail again, unknowingly showing his frustration, and put a hand on his chin as he thought. What did he have to say? "Confirm"? What would be multiplying, though? What if he multiplied the red-furred creatures by accident? He could barely keep his composure with just the ones that were here, but to have more? He suppressed a shutter and slightly tilted his head so those creatures were more closer to his center of vision. Maybe he had to name something. That was it! He would try that.

"Multiplyyyy..." he said, starting his words without knowing at first where he was going with them, "blueberry!" He quickly turned and looked at the half-eaten blueberry he had dropped. Perhaps not the greatest target if this ability did what he thought it might do, but at least he would know if it worked.

Throndir

Spirit Forest
Morning

The denizens of the forest watched eagerly as you began to experiment. The amount of energy you had expended did seem sizable, at the very least, being tired from simply stating a word would be a new experience for most wildlife. But whatever it did, at least it resulted in something being multiplied.

Those words of 'Multiplier x2' in your vision didn't disappear either even as you focused on them or tried to will them away. The notification of 'Multiplier: x2' remained in the corner of your vision, though it stayed in place at a very static location in your vision. Moving your head or eyes around wouldn't have moved the location of the notification.

Next, you focused on the blueberry. As a result the fairy and everyone else stared at the blueberry as well. Although half-eaten, it still looked pretty good. It was good enough as any to be the next target of your ability.

So you tried. The moment you said 'Multiply' however... your vision blacked out.

Spirit Forest
1 hour later

The cool sensation of the ground, the sounds of the wind rustling through the forest leaves was what greeted you when you began to stir. Above you, as one of the first things you would have seen, was the fairy, Mollyianarasoletteasharae.

"Pili!" The fairy said excitedly raisined her arms up in a minor celebration. "You Mana Blanked out." She explained.

"It's what happens when someone spends too much mana. It's not a thing that happens too often for those who live in the forests, since almost no one but you and the fairies make use of it..."

"Are you okay? You're okay? Right you're okay?" Fora chirped as she moved over to you hurriedly. Pea was right behind her as well.

"Pili! You're awake!" Pea said right as Fora finished, no pause in between their comments.

The last thing you noticed was the fact that the 'x2' multiplier, was now listed as 'x3'.

[info]Color change for the fairy and Fora due to forum skin change.[/info]

Fellow Rabbit

Pili

Pili could barely remember what had happened as he began to recover from his blackout. Slowly, it was coming back to him, but at first the most recent thing he could remember was receiving his name. He pushed groggily off the ground to sit on his hind legs as he recounted the events. He had received a name, and then... asked what all these 'Blessings' were about. It all started to come back to him from there. He was trying to figure out what it all meant when he... said the wrong things? Or said something right, but in the wrong way? All this 'Blessings' business was so bizarre and hard to understand. How could he become so exhausted that he blacked out just by saying some words?

It took a short moment for it to register in his mind that the butterfly creature had started talking, but he managed to catch the majority of what was said.

"M... Mana?" he asked quietly, half to himself, as she was explaining. He wasn't sure if he was just not recalling everything correctly just yet or not, but for now he actually didn't remember if he ever got an explanation of what 'mana' was. From the context, he could guess that it was something like his energy levels, but had to do with whatever these 'Blessings' were.

Pea and Fora quickly jumped in not long after, drowning out his thoughts for a moment. They were understandably a bit worried about him for getting knocked out. "I'm okay!" he said in response, "I maybe need to learn how to control that... whatever it is that I just did."

It was right about then he noticed the update to the words still on the edge of his vision. 'Multiplier x3', it said. And suddenly he remembered what he was going through all this for. "The blueberry!" He quickly turned around to see if anything had happened to the blueberry from before. For all it put him through, he super hoped it had done what he expected it to.

Throndir

Spirit Forest
Late Morning

"Mhmmm... Remember when I was explaining your sensitivity to mana? It's that... and I guess this is the first time you're actually experiencing mana blanking out too." The fairy continued to explain even as she looked over you to ensure you were still fine.

"You've woken up though, meaning you've regained some back!"

"I don't know what you did!" Pea said cheerily.

"But you worried us! You worried everyone!" Fora quickly replied.

"Atleast until she told us not to worry." Pea bounced back.

"Not to worry!" Fora repeated. "And the blueberry? Oh..." Fora hesitated, though you noticed that she looked towards Pea.

"I ate it!" He exclaimed. "It was normal though! Not strange!"

Fellow Rabbit

Pili

His ears drooped a bit when her heard Pea's answer. "What do you mean you ate it?" It wasn't so much that he wanted the blueberry, but more that it was kind of part of an experiment. Though his chagrin waned rather quickly as other questions came to him.

"What did it taste like?" was the first among his questions. "Did anything happen to it? Did it really multi- uh... make copies of itself?" From what he had gathered in his somewhat-not-entirely-fully-awake state, it seemed that saying the word 'Multiply' was what caused it to do... whatever it is it did. More importantly he recalled the moment he first said it as the moment he suddenly felt exhausted. Without knowing what had even happened, he would like to refrain from using it accidentally.

"What happened when I fell asleep?" he asked more generally, not quite sure the term 'fell asleep' carried quite the connotation he was looking for. For having caused him such inconvenience, he really wanted to get as much information as he could on what this 'Multiply' really did. And from the way they were talking, he had a suspicion that it didn't quite do what he had imagined in his head. He took a look around, noting the missing blueberry and hoping to find what else - if anything - had changed because of whatever it is he just did.

Throndir

Spirit Forest
Late Morning

[info]OODM: You can roll perception if you'd like, otherwise I assume these implied rolls are done via Passive Perceptions.[/info]

[info]Perception (the area): Passive
Apart from the animals who have since moved, more of them huddled closer, there was nothing out of the ordinary in the area.[/info]

Fora looked uncomfortably towards Pea at the question, realizing that the other squirrel was probably in some kind of trouble by the hero no less. But Pea, not really connecting the dots at all continued to ramble on.

"It was yummy!" Pea said. "Like a blueberry. It was blue!"

Fora crossed her arms. "I told you not to eat it!" Fora said, glaring at Pea.

"Hmm... you mean if it did anything strange? No... After you said 'multiply' you passed out. But nothing strange happened with the berry. Fairies are able to see mana as well as heroes, because we're actually made up of both mana and a divine essence given to us... I could tell you used a lot of it up with whatever you did, but there was nothing outwardly changed though?"

"But... since we're on the topic of mana, we can talk about magic too? As a hero, blessed by the goddess, you should be able to use it."