Juror's Guilt

Started by Throndir, July 13, 2016, 10:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

"Evil dwells here. But it's secure as it can be." Sir Rekkart replied.

Throndir

Aetius:

"Madge How's Tablark? Is he safe to transport?"

Throndir

Madge shook her head.

"It'll take him atleast a few days to get over those bruises. The cuts too. As for his eye..." She shook her head sadly. "Unless he pay a fortune for a cleric, he isn't going to get that back. But we can move him if needed."

Throndir

Aetius:

"Once Jarbin is dead, we will all be safe. We'll go up there." I point to the left spiral staircase. "I'll go up first, next Killian, then Madge carrying Tablark, then Patrissa, Ebin, Halgrak, and Rekkart protecting the rear."

Throndir

"Carrying?" Madge asked. "You mean dragging right? The dwarf is at least 300 lbs."

Strangely enough, Halgrak spoke up.

"I'll..." He said. "I'll help." His eyes were downcast, but he proceeded to sling the heavy dwarf on his shoulder.

[info](Halgrak is now considered heavily encumbered and will not fight)[/info]One by one, in a line, the group goes up the stairs. Aetius lead the way, followed by Killian who continued sipping on his silver flask, then Madge, then Patrissa who clutched her fire-opal amulet, next one Ebin, who's hat continued to slightly jingle as he walked up the stairs, his chuckling somewhat subsided, though there were times where he would start up again. Halgrak came next carrying Tablark's unconsious body. He took his steps slow and deliberate, though he kept his eyes upwards towards the direction of the stairs up. Finally Rekkart made up the rear as he continued to keep an eye behind them.

Rekkart's torch had about 20 or 15 minutes left of life, while Killian's still had about 45 minutes left until it was out. Both of their torches spread out in a 20 ft. radius, while beyond that was low-light stretching for another 20 ft.
Soon enough you made it up the stairs with everyone in tow. There were two double doors you had to pass through once everyone climbed up, but eventually a decorated room, though strewn with rubble, was before you. Fine leather couches and a mahogany table now covered in a thick layer of dust stand undisturbed around this chamber. Portraits line the walls here with plaques bearing names below, both now obscured with thick cobwebs. A simple iron icebox sits in one corner of the room, a few empty bottles perched precariously atop it.
The portraits alongside the walls catch your attention. Your eyes drawn towards them, and you start seeing another vision, much like the first one you had encountered when you first woke up. It was similar to that first vision, yet was much more detailed.

"Jarbin Mord. For the brutal and savage slaying of your own wife and six-year-old boy, it is the verdict of this jury, with which I concur wholeheartedly, that you shall hang by your neck until dead. May the gods take mercy on your blackened soul." Silence falls over the courtroom in the wake of this pronouncement of doom. The faces of the assembled crowd grow solemn as everyone feels the finality of the sentence, with a few exceptions. Several members of the assembled jury are smirking at each other. The hobgoblin, a female halfling, a halfling with a jester's hat, and young woman all seem both pleased and highly amused by this turn of events.

The vision suddenly vanishes, and your eyes up staring at the closest portrait on the wall. It was that same judge you saw in your vision. Beneath it was a placard that dictated his name clearly 'Silman Trabe'.

"You okay my boy?" Killian asked, noticing you seemed out of it. "There's an icebox in the corner." Killian stated, for the fact he carried with him the torch, and kept a good eye as he followed right behind you.

[info](I did not create the grid map for the second floor yet. For now assume its slightly smaller than the first floor 7 x 14 tiles. There are 4 exits, 1) a door to the southwest that's barely visible in the moonlight from the window next to it, 2) Staircase on the southeast that leads upwards. 3) a door to the east. 4) the double doors on the north which the part came out of, that leads to a small mini hall with both the stairs.)[/info]

Throndir

Aetius:

I tell Rekkart to help the rest of the party craft some new torches and that I need just a minute to gather my thoughts. Once no one is immediately around me I turn over my shield to look over the crest on it. I am looking for some inspiration. I think about the state of my party, their wounds, and peer into my memories for any training, any fizzle of inspiration.

Throndir

"Of course Aetius." Sir Rekkart responded as snapped to attention to take a look at the surroundings. He was specifically looking for any piece of rubble that they could convert into a makeshift torch. It didn't take him very long to find some suitable pieces, and along with Madge, Patrissa, and Killian began attempting to create torches. Ebin continued to chuckle slightly to himself, his unnatural mirth giving the scene an even more eerie feel. Halgrak continued to sling the unconscious dwarf on his shoulder. And whether or not it was from your speech earlier, he seemed to have calmed down more, though, he was sullen and quiet as ever. To his credit he did take the role of watching over both Tablark, on his shoulder, as well as keeping an eye on Ebin.

[info]The party's rummaging, and crafting will take a couple minutes.[/info]While the rest of the party was busy, you looking into your shield and emblem for inspiration. Going through your memories of training in the Order of the Light Eagle, as well as racking your mind for any clues or memories about your own parents. Specifically Varius, your father, who was one of the original jurors of the sentence a decade ago. You began going over everything that the jurors with you know claimed, as well as trying to make sense of the vision you had when you had first awoken in the courthouse, as well as the vision that you had just seen just moments ago.

[info]Overall: Intelligence: 12, Wisdom: 20, Sense Motive: 14[/info]As your thoughts wandered to the vision you just had, you considered the smirks that Malgrim, Madge, Ebin, and Patrissa had. Your time in the Order of the Light Eagle had given you some qualities about discerning others. Both Malgrim's and Patrissa's smirk had a sense of being pleased with themselves. While both Madge's and Ebin's smirk looked as if there was some hatred for Jarbin as well. You had a feeling that those particular four haven't told their full stories yet.

[info]Malgrim: Sense Motive: 10[/info]Malgrim was already dead so he was no longer able to answer any of your questions. But from the short time you had known him, as well as his willingness to claim he was in some sort of gang in the city, more than likely he had something to do with the guilty sentencing of Jarbin Mord. You recall that Halgrak had admitted that it was Malgrim who had forced the half-orc to sentence guilty, though you never had a chance to clarify what exactly had happened or the circumstances.

[info]Madge: Sense Motive: 10[/info]From Madge, you still weren't able to get a good reading from, though from the last time had gathered everyone around the fire on the first floor, you recall that Madge seemed to have been hiding something, or at least not telling the full story.

[info]Ebin: Sense Motive: 18[/info]You recall Ebin's story of why he sentenced Jarbin Mord as guilty, and his case was from simple vengeance. Jarbin Mord had upstaged him during an important councilman's birthday party, and the jester took offense that the fact a simple man had managed to do such a thing. His demeanor in the vision you just had aligned perfectly with his story.

[info]Patrissa: Sense Motive: 16[/info]It was from Patrissa's smirk in your vision that surprised you the most. During the time she had been in your group, there was little you could point to for anything suspicious.

In terms of the party's health, it was Sir Rekkart who seemed to be injured the most. He was already treated with the healer's kit earlier that day, so all that was left was simple resting, or magical healing possibly from the potions you carried with you. Tablark was still unconscious, with his left eye completely gone. His right eye was severely damaged as the dwarf continued to rake it, but it was still salvageable. He had wounds form when Ebin had begun beating him from earlier as well. Killian had wounds from the axe in the courtroom earlier that evening, though it wasn't anything serious. As for Ebin, the halfling had bruises on his face as well as cuts from you slamming him into the floor. His state of mind seemed to be the worst out of everyone however, as even now he continued to chuckle to himself.

You weren't quite sure how long you were thinking about the situation, but soon enough, it was who Patrissa tapped your shoulder. She had a wistful smile as she held out a torch in one of her hands.

"You seemed to be deep in thought so I apologize for interrupting, but we've finished creating the torches."

[info]Rough Time Estimate: 8:25 PM

Resources:
Madge's Healing kit: 3 uses left
Aetius' healing kit: 8 uses left
Rekkart's Torch: 5 min left
Killian's Torch: 35 min left
Madge's Torch: 60 min left
Patrissa's Torch: 60 min left

Relevant Inventory
Malgrim's Spiked Chain "Grindle-Slash", currently in Aetius' inventory
Unlit Torches: 2, currently in Rekkart's inventory
Potion of Cure Light Wounds: 5, in Aetius' inventory

Current Status/Damage Taken:
Aetius: 5, already used treat deadly wounds
Madge: 0
Sir Rekkart: 5, already used treat deadly wounds
Patrissa: 0, -1 Will
Tablark: 0, -1 Will, already used treat deadly wounds, unconscious
Killian: 2,  already used treat deadly wounds
Halgrak: 0, -3 Will,  already used treat deadly wounds
Ebin: 3, already used treat deadly wounds)
[/info]

Throndir

Aetius:

"Ohh, yes, thank you Patrissa. I was just drafting up a plan. We've come this far, we'd best not mess it up now." I walk closer to the remaining party members. "I have a few questions before we go up to face what evils lie ahead. Questions about Jarbin. I need to know a little more about the trial and your verdicts that day. We may need to go about fighting him another way... I simply want a quick vote, raise your hand if you agree, keep your hands down if you disagree. Just to keep things as open and free from guilt as possible please face away from each other and keep your eyes closed. Do not open them until I say to."

After they are ready I begin with my questions making sure to pay attention to hesitation.

1. I judged Jarbin based on the facts of his crime and was not impacted based on my prior knowledge of his character or encounters with him.

2. His death, the strongest penalty of law, was necessary as no other punishment would be sufficient for the crime he was tried for.

3. I was able to separate myself from this case so that I was acting purely for the sake of justice and could not benefit from Jarbin's death.

4. I can be laid to rest knowing justice was served the day of our verdict.

5. I would have handled things differently if I could go back in time to the time of the trial.

After voting is done I assess the parties moral as best as I can.

Throndir

The group hesitated, though eventually they followed through with the commands, some more grudgingly than the others. Ebin had resisted the most, even Madge didn't think the questioning would be useful, and a flash in Halgrak's eyes told you he was starting to feel more lethargic and dismal. It took the counseling of Sir Rekkart to nudge the others into action, but soon enough the 6 turned around, and closed their eyes as you began your questions.

[info]Madge: Diplomacy: 10, Sense Motive: 25
Sir Rekkart: Diplomacy: 23, Sense Motive: 25
Patrissa: Diplomacy: 21, Sense Motive: 25
Killian: Diplomacy: 17, Sense Motive: 18
Halgrak: Diplomacy: 20, Sense Motive: 19
Ebin: Diplomacy: 21, Sense Motive: 17[/info]"I judged Jarbin based on the facts of his crime and was not impacted based on my prior knowledge of his character or encounters with him."

Madge was hesitant, and it took her longer to answer, she first slowly raised her hand, but she seemed to stop mid way. However, a second later, as if deciding something, she shot her hand back up. If anything this hesitance gave you an idea that Madge had not yet fully told her story.

Sir Rekkart listened intently to the question and raised his hand immediately. He had no hesitation and the way he raised his hand agreeing to the statement made you think he believed in his verdict wholeheartedly.

Patrissa raised her hand quietly.

Killian raised his hand quietly as well.

Halgrak did not raise his hand. He seemed to hesitate, and the question seemed to make him uncomfortable.

Ebin snorted and did not raise his hand. From his earlier confessions, you already knew he did this out of vengeance against Jarbin Mord, and you were surprised that he didn't attempt to conceal his reasoning for his verdict.

"His death, the strongest penalty of law, was necessary as no other punishment would be sufficient for the crime he was tried for."

Madge immediately raised her hand. From her movements, it was easy to tell that she was angry. But what exactly, was hard to tell.

Sir Rekkart raised his hand as well, though not as resolutely as the first question. He still believed wholeheartedly with the decision however, and you got the impression that Sir Rekkart, more so than the rest of the group, probably saw the world as black and white with no room for grey in between.

Patrissa raised her hand, you noticed she did this calmly.

Killian did not raise his hand, and he seemed to sigh, though caught it and stopped himself as he attempted to hide the sigh from the others.

Halgrak did not raise his hand, and he seemed to get into an even more dismal mood.

Ebin raised his hand immediately as well. He even began to chuckle to himself as the bells on his cap jingled with his sickening mirth.

"I was able to separate myself from this case so that I was acting purely for the sake of justice and could not benefit from Jarbin's death."

Madge hesitated. Like the first question she seemed to be in conflict about whether or not to raise her hand. In the end she raised it however. This only added to your belief that Madge had not fully told her story.

Sir Rekkart raised his hand quick and stoically. Like the knight he was, he truly believed it was for justice.

Patrissa once again raised her hand fluidly up in the air, a seemingly practiced motion.

Killian raised his hand as well, though wordlessly and not reacting much to the question.

Halgrak did not raise his hand. More so than the previous questions, he seemed to be very uncomfortable, he had even begun to cover his face and eyes with his two large hands.

Ebin did not raise his hand, but only continued to chuckle.

"I can be laid to rest knowing justice was served the day of our verdict."

Madge raised her hand up immediately again, though it didn't quite have the fire as compared to the second question asked.

Sir Rekkart raised his hand, truly believing in their actions.

Patrissa, like the times before, raised her hand again, calmly and precisely.

Killian raised his hand, and much like Patrissa was silent and did his best to remain calm.

Halgrak did not raise his hand, and instead he began to mumble incoherent words as he covered his face into his hands. He was visibly disturbed by the questioning.

Ebin who still chuckled simply raised his hand, the burden of conscious didn't seem to affect him much at all.

"I would have handled things differently if I could go back in time to the time of the trial."

Madge did not raise her hand.

Sir Rekkart did not raise his hand.

Patrissa did not raise her hand.

Killian raised his hand, and he seemed to do so with confidence.

Halgrak, shaken from his pitiful state did raise his hand up high.

Ebin, who only seemed to smirk throughout the entire thing, kept his hand down.

Final Impressions
Madge seemed to still continue hiding something from you. And the questions asked only seemed to accentuate this point. For Sir Rekkart, it was easy to tell that the knight held true to his beliefs, and would not waiver. Patrissa was harden to get a read from, however though she acted calmly, it almost felt as if she were acting, or reacting as if in a way that is expected. Killian seemed calmed, but you recall his sigh on question of Jarbin's capital punishment, you did not feel anything suspicious from the old man. Halgrak was a mess. You knew that Halgrak claimed that Malgrim had forced him into his verdict, and it seemed the entire trial of ten years ago was heavy in Halgrak's mind. From Ebin, surprisingly, you did not feel any sort of deceit, at the very least his actions and what he's told you so far aligned with his answers.

Area
The questioning took awhile, and Rekkart's torch had run out. Killian's, Madge's, and Patrissa's were still burning bright however. Sir Rekkart didn't bother with lightning one of the two extra make-shift torches, choosing to save them for a later time. Apart from the portraits on the wall, the only other defining feature of the area was the simple iron box in the corner of the room.

Throndir

Aetius

I was going to take the party downstairs to a room we had cleared out, but not the one with the cursed axe. One with just one way in, and I was going to take the clock we blew up and make a barricade. I was going to pull down the banners that lined the walls either on the first or second floor, I don't remember and make, makeshift beds or at least more comfortable sleeping places and tell the party we need to rest. I tell them we're almost done, I know that, but we need to rest up and process everything that has happened. I also wanted to apologize to the party and explain to them that I  put understanding this creature and obliterating its evil above everything else, but I want them all to understand something... I don't want doubt to enter their minds. Our cause is just and that this machination is not the man you put on trial. It is a trick, an evil lie we can all kill together. There is dangers yes, but again I must stress to you this is not the man you put down. We must unite, we must be vigilant, but we have earned a rest. Then I want to put my hand on each of their shoulders, look them in the eyes and thank them for their bravery and have seen hardened veterans cower from less than this. I also want to keep my eyes on the jester at all times and ready knocking him out if he goes crazy again.

Throndir

Soon enough, after the questioning was over, you left the upstairs room, traveling back down in the same formation that you had previously suggested. The only other room you knew to be safe was the one with all the carrionstorm, where Malgrim was brutally killed. Along the way you had gathered the banners you had seen earlier, along with getting both Sir Rekkart and Halgrak to gather as much rubble as they can from the central hall to the western courtoom. This included the broken down grandfather clock as well, which took the three of you to safely move the large thing into the courtroom. Sir Rekkart and Halgrak, other than yourself, was perhaps the only ones left you could count on with a strong-arm.

It was at this point you decided to go around trying to placate everyone's nerves.

[info]Diplomacy attempts:
20 Rekkart
19 Patricia
11 Killian
21 Halgrak
13 Ebin
17 madge[/info]One by one you talked to each of them, placing your hand on their shoulder thanking each one individually. They accepted it greatfully, save for Ebin who seemed to continue his slight chuckles and not even focusing on you as you looked towards him.

Halgrak
Halgrak was the most appreciative of your gesture however. The large half-orc only doubled his efforts on getting the barricade ready, making it a point to use up all his strength that he can muster to pick up some of the large pieces of furniture that could be used as a barricade. He had even mentioned Tablark, the dwarf's, carpenty tools that had nearly been forgotten. Being a craftsmen himself, Halgrak had begun showing both you and Sir Rekkart how to use the tools to both bolster and strengthen the future soon-to-be-created barricade.

[okay]+Extra hitpoints for barricade if its come to it[/okay]Patrissa and Killian
Patrissa smiled gently everytime she managed to catch your eye, and also lead in the effort for creating more torches. Killian had helped out as well, and eventually another 2 more make-shift torches were created and promptly handed to Sir Rekkart who had been keeping the rest of their makeshift torches.

[okay]+2 Makeshift Torches[/okay]Sir Rekkart and Halgrak
Sir Rekkart and you began setting up the barricades. Both for the door to the north of the courtroom, as well as the entrance the group had taken. Halgrak, being the physically strongest in the group, along with you, mainly kept going back and forth from the central hall to the courtroom, dragging and at times lifting benches and large wooden planks to be used to help with the barricade.

Tablark and Madge
Tablark, still unconscious, was left on a bench, reclined back with Madge still tending to him. He looked to be getting better, with his wounds being closed and tended. Though the swelling would still take at least a night to go away. At the very least, with Madge's persistent tending to the dwarf, the old dwarf's breathing was no longer shallow and hoarse.

"He'll live." Madge said quietly when you had looked towards them.

Ebin
You kept a close eye on Ebin throughout it all, as the halfling continued to chuckle almost randomly to himself, unnerving the rest of the group each time he did so.

For the next 30-45 minutes, the group had steadily created the northern barricade, with enough rubble and benches to create both barricades, everything was looking good. Makeshift rest areas using the banners were created as well, and overall, the mood of the group didn't get worse, though being stuck in the courthouse, it didn't quite get better either. Ebin was the most disturbed out of them all, and many times the halfling did little to help with the preparations. Killian's torch had eventually run out as well, though with the fact Madge's and Patrissa's torch burned, along with the two more extra torches they had created, he had chosen not to light another. After the first barricade to the north was completed, with the second one on its way to being completed, it was then that you noticed one among the group was missing.

Halgrak was gone.

[info]Roll20 Link: https://app.roll20.net/join/1522231/DzXnWg

Rough Time Estimate: 9:15 PM

Resources:
Madge's Torch: 15 min left
Patrissa's Torch: 15 min left

Relevant Inventory
Unlit Torches: 4, currently in Rekkart's inventory
Sack containing Carrionbird, in Aetius' inventory

NPC Inventory
Halgrak: leather tool belt, mwk hammer, tongs.
Ebin: mwk sap, patched motley (his jester outfit), coxcomb (his hat).
Patrissa: feather token (whip), mwk dagger concealed in garter sheath, necklace of 12 fire opals, ruby ring of protection +1, sequined red evening gown, two of pentacles from a deck of illusion (illusion of herself).
Killian: potion of cat's grace other gear +1 dagger (concealed in belt buckle), padded costume (and armor), rapier disguised as a silver (lead-weighted) cane, 4 throwing darts fashioned into quill-pens (coated with blue whinnis), two identical flasks (one filled with brandy, the other with his potion of cat's grace).
Sir Rekkart: +1 banded mail, +1 longsword, silver snuff box (30 gp), ten pinches of Tullen snuff (10 gp).
Madge: 4 mwk daggers, mwk padded armor, mwk thieves' tools, small backpack, 50 ft. of silk rope, healer's kit
Tablark: leather jerkin and pants (counts as leather armor), mwk carpenter's tools.

Ebin: 3, already used treat deadly wounds)[/info]

Throndir

Aetius

I'm immediately going to go over to Rekkart, and whisper to him that Halgrak is gone in the most calm way possible and that I need to be on guard but to try and help maintain calm and security. That this is a mental war and we need to keep our spirits up. Then I'm going to have Ebin come with me and I'll tell the rest of the party that the two of us are going to help Halgrak and to keep taking a breather and working on the barricade. Then I nod and go in the direction we last saw Halgrak going very quickly igniting my shield as we leave the room.

Throndir

The last time you had seen Halgrak was him walking out towards the great hall again. His last item he had brought over was a large bench, and as you took a look at the great hall, you realized it must have come from the eastern courtroom. The one that you and the others first had appeared in. Ebin followed closesly behind, his eyes blank, but still occationally chuckling to himself. The halfling probably never even realized Halgrak had been missing for longer than what was expected. The jester's light chuckling seemed to echo off the walls, making the sound seem more eerie than it actually was.

At this point you willed your shield to glow, the minor enchantment on it softly giving you enough light to be able to see the way forward. The central hall of the courthouse had been mostly picked clean by Halgrak, with most of the furniture already moved into the western courthouse. You notice that the doors to the eastern courtroom were ajar as well. Not only that, the door just north of the eastern courtroom was open too.

[info]You can roll Survival, 1d20+5, to attempt to track where Halgrak might've gone. Or just explore.[/info][info]Roll20 Link: https://app.roll20.net/join/1522231/DzXnWg

Rough Time Estimate: 9:15 PM

Resources:
Madge's Torch: 15 min left
Patrissa's Torch: 15 min left

Relevant Inventory
Unlit Torches: 4, currently in Rekkart's inventory
Sack containing Carrionbird, in Aetius' inventory

NPC Inventory
Halgrak: leather tool belt, mwk hammer, tongs.
Ebin: mwk sap, patched motley (his jester outfit), coxcomb (his hat).
Patrissa: feather token (whip), mwk dagger concealed in garter sheath, necklace of 12 fire opals, ruby ring of protection +1, sequined red evening gown, two of pentacles from a deck of illusion (illusion of herself).
Killian: potion of cat's grace other gear +1 dagger (concealed in belt buckle), padded costume (and armor), rapier disguised as a silver (lead-weighted) cane, 4 throwing darts fashioned into quill-pens (coated with blue whinnis), two identical flasks (one filled with brandy, the other with his potion of cat's grace).
Sir Rekkart: +1 banded mail, +1 longsword, silver snuff box (30 gp), ten pinches of Tullen snuff (10 gp).
Madge: 4 mwk daggers, mwk padded armor, mwk thieves' tools, small backpack, 50 ft. of silk rope, healer's kit
Tablark: leather jerkin and pants (counts as leather armor), mwk carpenter's tools.

Ebin: 3, already used treat deadly wounds)[/info]

Throndir

Aetius

I would like to try to use survival and call out Halgrak's name. I also ask Ebin if he sees anything. Also if I have time in this turn without risking Halgrak's life anymore I want to see if I can figure out what is wrong with Ebin. If he's possessed in terrible shock, or something else.

Quotesurvival is 12
Perception is 13
Heal check is 21
Religion is 28

Throndir

Looking for any more hints or tracks that Halgrak might've left behind, you weren't able to get a lot of new information. The only thing that you noted was that the layer of dust on the floor leading towards the eastern room was a lot more thinned out. The door north of the eastern courtroom had been ajar, but you couldn't see any reasoning why it might've been that way.

Examining Ebin, the first thing you noticed was his dilated pupils, his eyes seemingly larger than what you remember when you had first seen him. His face was stuck in a half smile, as occasional chuckles escaped his lips, and though he looked at you, he didn't seem to focus at you at all. This was no possession that you were aware of, and give his symptoms and his increased heart rate and shallow breathing, you assume the halfling to be in shock.