Chapter 2A - The Jewels of Beenleigh

Started by pringerbeam, February 19, 2017, 04:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oath

Annalise sat in the seat offered to her.  She listened to the explanation of the association provided by Blackblade and the commentary of the other guest before speaking herself. "Your organization sounds interesting, sir." She paused a moment, and came to the realization that she had not introduced herself to the other guest, nor Blackblade himself. 

"My apologies, I've been rude. Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Annalise Schwarz, I hail from the fair city of Potsdam and have left my motherland seeking education at the fine university of Oxford. I'm not aware of what benefits a student such as myself can offer your organization, Sir Blackblade, but I must admit I do find the prospect of such an organization quite intriguing. I know not of these dangers that lurk in the shadows, but if you think that I may be of assistance, I shall give it a go. Though, I do have a question for you, Sir. What do you mean by first true members? Have you contacted others before us?"

pringerbeam

"I have tried to recruit others but they have been... lacking.  I will not lie to you, this organization will take you to the darkest corners of our world.  I have seen many falter agaisnt the forces of the maelificum.  I only hope you don't falter yoiurselves.  You may refuse if you don't think yourselves up to the task.  I would never ask you to abandon any duties you may already have and if you fear your ties will weigh you down then it might be best if you return to your lives as if you had never come here.  One never knows where evil lies and corruption can find its way into the very hearts of nations.  I would not wish to ask you to betray your nations but someday I may not have a choice.  Order must triumph over chaos and the price might be too great for you to bear."

Oath

Annalise listened to his exposition, fingers locked and hands resting on her lap. As he finished, she took a sip of her tea and thought a few moments before responding. "With all due respect Sir Blackblade, I've no clue what you see in one such as myself, but if you believe that I provide some sort of value to your endeavor  I will gladly lend my aid. One cannot live solely off of their family's name and I must seek out accomplishments of my own. This seems to be a perfect opportunity to do so. Should we require another meeting area in the future, I would gladly offer up my own home, though it is not as glamorous as this, or my box at the Lyceum theater, where we could enjoy a night of entertainment and discuss relevant matters."

Asta

Ilsa listened intently to what Blackblade had to say, as well as the enthusiastic response of the aristocrat Annalise. She pinched the bridge of her nose softly in contemplation.

Championing the cause of Order? Surely it could be considered a noble pursuit to beat back the demons pounding at the gate, but why her? Following the war she had used this "tour of Europe" as an excuse to coast along and push aside the troubles she had dealt with back home. Furthermore she couldn't understand why of all the powerful and and elite Europe had to offer, a lowly sergeant in the Swiss military was among this man's chosen. She wasn't even from a prominent family like the woman beside her.

Finally after a moment, she gave voice to her concern.

"Why me?"

With aught else to do besides go home with her tail between her legs, Blackblade's response would help her make up her mind. Besides, she was curious to know how he had gathered any information on her at all.

pringerbeam

"Why not you?  A soldier's skills are always useful.  Things lurk in the darkness that are often best dealt with down the sight of a musket or at the end of a sword in my expierience."  Lord BLackblade took a sip of tea.  "However, as I said before my previous recruits have been lacking.  If you will not be able to uphold a standard of honor, dignity, and courage then it might be best if you leave for if you are uneasy now, then I doubt you could stand in the face of some of the challenges of the future.  I would rather you not be faced with the loss of an ally at a time of greatest desperation.  Surely you would understand, having walked the fields of war, that one needs to be able to rely on the man next to them not to panic at the first shots of battle." 

Asta

Ilsa leaned back in her chair. He is straightforward, this is good at least. His response wasn't quite as revealing as she would have hoped for, but his direct nature had struck a chord with her own mentality.

"My apologies, Herr Blackblade if my caution appeared as cowardice. Please lay to rest your concerns about my integrity. It is my nature to try and look at a situation from as many ways as I can. If you require the fruit of my training, make use of it. I am sure that if I am called to serve my country, something can be arranged."

It was enough for her, whatever this man had planned she would at least see it through for the time being. As with everything, she would approach it with prudence.

pringerbeam

"Excellent!  Now, we must get on with building a foundation for this organization.  I appreciate the offer of use of your theater box, we may very well need it in the future.  In a similar vein, I have been asked by a minor noble house for aid.  The Beenleigh family has apparently come into some kind of difficulty which they need discreet aid in solving.  While they are no major house, they are an old family with a good reputation and influence, a helpful family to have in our debt.  If you could go and speak with them and see how you can help, that would be a good start to rally some influence for our organization."  Lord Blackblade rose from his seat. "Unfortunately, I am unable to come with you.  I have some personal business to attend to.  Carlson can give you the address to the Beenleigh household.  You are free to stay and finish afternoon tea.  This may very well become a second home for us all."  He smiles warmly as he begins to make his way out of the hall.

Oath

"The Beenleigh family? I can't say I've heard of them but if a family is having a problem and we can assist it is probably worthwhile. I shall see Carlson after the tea is finished and look into this matter shortly. I'd appreciate your help, soldier. I don't believe I've caught your name." 

Asta

"Ilsa Raisch, Dame Schwarz. I apologize for not introducing myself earlier, I did not want to interrupt Herr Blackblade." She gave as polite a smile that she could muster, in defiance of her normally slack expression.

"You mentioned you are from Potsdam, a lovely city. I enjoyed my stay there several months ago. The Brandenburg Gate is most impressive." she said, then after a beat: "What do you make of Herr Blackblade and his cause?"

Annalise had appeared very much on-board with Blackblade's proposal, but it wouldn't hurt to gain an opinion while he was out of the room.

Oath

Annalise nodded a brief approval before continuing her conversation.

"A pleasure to make your acquaintance, Dame Raisch. Though if you would like to drop the formalities, you may call me Annalise. I do at times have yearning for my home, it is a beautiful city. However I do not experience such freedoms as I do here, away from my family.

I'm not sure what to think of Blackblade or this association, but I see it as an opportunity to better myself. He will likely have resources that I do not, as I have resources that he is likely lacking himself. It is a mutually beneficial agreement, and provides ample opportunity for me to do something as Annalise rather than as a Schwarz. Having someone who seems reliable like you at the table is also reassuring, so I figure I might as well experience what I can while I am here.
" After talking, Annalise continued to drink from her tea cup, curious as to what type it was. She would have to ask Carlson on her way out.

Asta

"Ah, please my standing is not so high as to be Dame but if you are inclined to continue on a first name basis that is more than alright with me, Annalise." It was rare to see a member of the upper crust eschew the use of formalities, but it suited Ilsa just fine.

She waited a moment, while her conversation partner took another sip from her tea.

"I am unsure where this venture will lead us, but I will see what I can do to make sure your faith in my reliability is not misplaced. Whenever you are prepared to pay the Beenleigh home a visit, I am ready."

Ilsa leaned back in her chair, wondering what the rest of the day may hold.

[info]Whenever Annalise is ready to go Ilsa will follow, making sure she collects her firearm from Carlson when he gives them the Beenleigh address.[/info]

Oath

"Formalities are not well suited for a group such as what Blackblade has in mind, in my understanding. Thank you for working with me, Ilsa." Annalise next turned to Jonathan.

"Jonathan, could you arrange for a carriage? The address will be forthcoming."

She rose from her chair and walked across the grandiose, but empty hall back towards where she had entered. When she spotted Carlson, she greeted him warmly.

"Good evening, Carlson. The tea was quite tasty. May I ask what type it is, I am not familiar with it. Also, we would like the address of the Beenleigh estate, so that we may start on our task. Thank you in advance for your assistance."

pringerbeam

Jonathan nods and makes his way out to the street ahead of you.  Carlson thanks you for you compliments and produces a card with the address of the Beeneigh residence along with Ilsa's rifle.  By the time you both arrive out on the street Jonathan has secured a passing coach which takes you away to the Beenleigh's home.  You arrive in a pleasent part of the city.  The homes are not particularly large but they all are freestanding and separated by greenery and tall wrought iron fences.  The lush gardens are somewhat marred by the slight haze of smog beginning to settle in as the sunlight begins to dim despite it still being mid-afternoon.  The fence's gate stands open and welcoming, the Beenliegh house awaits visitors.

Oath

Annalise thanked Carlson and accepted the card before stepping back out into the London streets. Seeing that Jonathan had already managed to get a coach, she gave the driver the address and climbed inside. On the ride over Annalise was quiet, contemplating what she had gotten herself in to and how to approach the Beenleigh family.

Upon arrival, seeing the gates open and receptive to visitors was pleasing. It seemed they were expected. She hopped down out of the coach and proceeded to the door.

[info] If there is someone in the garden she will speak to them, otherwise she will knock on the door.[/info]

Asta

Ilsa nodded politely after retrieving her affects, slung the rifle over her shoulder and followed Annalise to the street. She boarded the coach and sat down, setting her firearm upright between her legs holding it with a single hand on the wrapped fore-stock.

Annalise was quiet during the trip, which was fine as small-talk was not her strong suit. It would have been nice to smoke, but she was aware it was considered to be a foul habit by most people and it wouldn't do to be uncouth to a new acquaintance.

Once at their destination, she disembarked and stalked slowly after Annalise as they made their way through the gate unsure of what to expect.

[info]Since Ilsa is generally cautious she is going to make a perception check to keep on her toes if something happens. Let me know if you'd like me to be more specific. +2 since shes going to use her acute sense of hearing.
[blockquote]Rolled 7d6 : 5, 2, 4, 4, 4, 1, 6, total 26[/blockquote][/info]