Chapter 2B - By the seat of one's pants

Started by pringerbeam, February 19, 2017, 05:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mysticsage

Exploding 6s
[blockquote]Rolled 1d6 : 6, total 6[/blockquote]

pringerbeam

[info]Black Dice[blockquote]Rolled 9d6 : 6, 1, 5, 1, 5, 6, 2, 1, 2, total 29[/blockquote][/info]

pringerbeam

Lord Darby opens the door, his eyes flaring with rage at the sound of your voice.  "I thought I had sent you off vagabond.  It is bad enough that you insult my company and I give you the benefit of leaving unmolested.  If you do not leave me and the lady at peace I will have to throw down the gauntlet."  His voice seeps with anger and contempt.  Behind him Kusanagi stands looking somewhat relieved at not having to use the pistol she was holding at the ready.  Her expression quickely turns to impatience after Darby makes his statement as she waits for the two of you.

Mysticsage

"My apologize I honestly did not expect to even see anyone here I imagined she would have left." He looked past Darby to the lady behind him. "I wish I could have heard your lecture today, but it seems fate had other plans for me. If we meet again I hope it is under more amenable circumstances." He gave an imaginary tip of his hat and then turned to leave quickly heading out of the museum left to mull over his own thoughts. His first job was to dig through his own memory of the high society to see what he could remember that was worth while but he would have to dig later.

[info]
To leave a positive/pitiable/intrigued impression on kusanagi
Presence+Charm+ High society+ Handsome dice + (curse? not added but i imagine she is curious from seeing all this)
[blockquote]Rolled 9d6 : 6, 4, 4, 5, 6, 4, 4, 6, 3, total 42[/blockquote]
[/info]

Mysticsage

[info]Exploding d6
[blockquote]Rolled 3d6 : 6, 4, 6, total 16[/blockquote][/info]

pringerbeam

As you exit the museum a massive coach pulls up to the front steps.  From it emerges the large frame of Lord Blackblade who looks up from keeping an eye on his step down from the coach to look you in the eyes.  "Jace? I mean, mister Lord.  What are you doing here?"  He appears to be surprsed at seeing you as he fidgets with the gold ring on his hand that rests on his large silver headed cane.

Mysticsage

Jace looked back behind him for a moment hoping that his intrusion with Darby had caused him to delay enough not to stumble upon this little encounter. Looking back to Blackblade he held a finger to his lips. He could still feel the paranoia of the other lord hanging on him like a shroud of cobwebs after walking out of an aged basement. "I'm sorry my lord have we met? I'm just a humble man looking to make some extra coin do you need help getting your things down? I'll help for just a few pence." He was not certain just how far his security would be spread in this moment or who could be watching.  He nodded back towards the carriage  and motioned him to step back inside with some urgency. Hoping that some privacy would be enough to get his message across.

He moved closer then pretending to step up to the carriage like a normal vagabond might in an attempt to get a little coin. From this close proximity he would be able to speak quieter. "I don't have much time to explain, but there was a theft in the museum and one of this interested party is close to having a breakdown. If that lord sees you in there now he might do something foolish he's already doesn't like you and has been hearing whispers so if you go in blind I doubt it will end well. I won't stop you from going, but prepare yourself for possible fire balls if you even look off." He opened the carriage door shuffled around for a moment and pulled out the few odds and ends like his jacket and a box out before going to hand it to him "I'll fill you in on the details later its important for you to hear what I learned I might have information useful about Holt's death. There are multiple parties at play here. Now say you don't have enough spare coin to pay me and offer for me to come over to be paid in case the walls have ears." He gave him an earnest look of determination his eyes alight not breaking eye contact with Blackblade.

pringerbeam

The lord gives you a very serious look.  "You will have to tell me right now because the only lead I have on Holt's death lies in that museum in the form of that very theft and I intend on seeking out this lead.  The tantrums of another lord who dislikes me are hardly new nor enough to stop me.  I don't fear a good fight.  Now, if you would please cut to the chase."  He planted his cane before himself, resting his hands on it as he awaits your response.

Mysticsage

"Blackblade this will not be a good fight this lord was close to having a mental breakdown and leave me as a dark stain on the floor. If you walk in there trying to dig for answers he'll jump to conclusions worse then he did with me and do far worse in an attempt to cut out of you what his manic thinking imagines to be in your head. Every street kid learns not to back a wounded dog into the corner" Jason hissed "Darby is not even the person who killed your friend in the first place so if you go on the warpath or worse let him go on his then who over went to these extents will have near total free rain to in act their plans. Then no revenge for your friend or justice for those who are caught up in these schemes. Now I have names and an additional angle to help you dig for better answers but they are worthless if you burn those bridges now."

Jason calmed himself then continued. "I don't want to talk more until we are more private then on the side of the street. If Lord Darby is involved with both thefts he is most defiantly being watched by whoever used your friend. You have invested to much to show your hand now. Lord Darby is talking with the traveling scholar Lady Kusanagi inside right now and they were both pulling weapons in public so tread carefully. I cannot in good conscience tell you not to want to find out who was using your friend and why they are doing what their doing. I'm just begging caution and clever thinking over bravado and folly. As long as Darby is in that museum you will not be getting the answers you need. At least not directly he's burning far to hot for anything more then lies and venom, and that snake wants an excuse to off load his furry on whoever he crosses his path next. He is willing to ruin the world at this moment. he'd slaughter an innocent child in full view of her majesty  to reclaim what he lost. He would jump on you even faster then that and while you may beat him down it would ruin your other plans as well as all those who are tied to you who are still living. So if your going in there be ready, but so long as you don't die or kill someone I promise we'll get you justice with time.

pringerbeam

Lord Blackblade sits back in the coach and tugs at his waxed moustace.  "Hmmmm... Darby... How is he tied up in all this?  And what thefts is he involved in?  From what I have found there has been only one theft here at the museum.  If Darby was involved in it then I still need to go in there to learn what I can about the event and if possible find proof to this claim.  Unless you can provide me these answers then I must go in there.  I do not need to worry about Darby, he can't strike another member of the peerage without consequence no matter how enraged he may be.  This I know for a fact.  Now, time is wasting away as we sit here so, as you requested..."  He openeds the door to the carriage and steps down, barking out:  "I'm afraid I have no way of paying you now, do go to my residence later this evening and I can arrange some payment for you."  He tips his hat to you and begins to make his way up the steps into the museum.

Mysticsage

"I can provide some background and information that he will not likely share with you or anyone else anytime soon, but its at best only a portion of the story and best used as context. We might be able to think of a plan to milk him for more information because of certain happenings but that can be dealt with later." He moved to exit the carriage calling out to Blackblade, "I wish you good fortune today sir." in his best accent before heading off down the street. He would have to trust that the lord could handle himself at least for a while in public. For now he could wait a few hours before making his return to that estate and perhaps do some digging in Constantine's "office" for information on the nobles he had names for and this Fang of Anubis. Hopefully it would buy him what he needed to move forward.

pringerbeam

You are able to make your way through the murky smog as evening begins to darken the already dim skies to arrive at Constantine's office: a narrow converted shop in one of the rougher parts of town.  It's sign displaying Aetherial Investigavtive Services hangs above the door.  The windows are shuttered and prevent any glimpse into the office but you don't recall them being open even in the sunlight.  Most of the other businesses on the street have closed their doors for the day and the crowds are thin, the exception being at the pub not too far down the street which seems to be doing a rowdy sort of business judging by the sounds of its clientelle.  Form where you stand though it is merely an orangish blob of illuminated smog.

Mysticsage

Jace stood for a moment on the side of the street wondering where it would be more likely to find Constantine at this hour. It was just the beginning of evening and not the normal time for someone to be getting a drink who had a job. And yet he knew his louse of a friend to well not to check the amber glow of the bar for him first before trying his office. If he was going to be doing any kind of serious research while not an expert in every esoteric form Constaintine was a hidden gem of knowledge and power in the city. Despite his bad reputation with nearly everyone in his life. But the man's fortune was similar to his own and Jace had to admit while he had more often then he would like have to pull him out of some gutter or another he had yet to be killed despite all the trouble he often attracted and i was nice enough to have someone with a similar personality to deal with.

He glanced around the opening of the pub sure that he would either find him gambling cards or red faced trying to drown out whatever recent escapades at the bar.

pringerbeam

You make your way through the murkey haze to the pub, the noise of the establishment becomming louder as you approach.  The sound of a piano playing a lively jig resolves as you get closer.  The brisk business of the pub becomming more evident as you near.  Folk seeking a good time through the pleasure of drink and company mill about the interior as you enter.  The haze of pipe smoke makes only a modest improvement in visibility compared to outside but you are nonetheless able to find Constantine sitting at the bar, a bottle of whiskey open and shot glass in hand.

Mysticsage

"I hope that's the first one of those Constantine" Jace said coming up beside the scruffy man "I was hoping to have you with as much sense about you as possible tonight friend. I could use your help with some research if you can manage." Jason looked the man he called friend over once more looking for more then the usual scruff and wear. "Have you had anything to eat yet tonight? I can put something together to put in your stomach aside from booze back at the office. I'll even pair it with that whiskey of yours since I doubt I can pull you away from the bottle you have paid for." While Jason was only mildly interested in alcohol for its flavor seeing plenty of its downside on the streets to get too carried away he had spent plenty nights playing bar buddy to Constantine when he was around to do so over the past six months he had gotten to know each other. He rarely ever fully fell in the gutter but his detective friend had run the gambit of the chef's morning after cures he had picked up in the trade.

Normally he would be all to happy to sit with Constantine, listen to his grumbling, maybe play a hand of cards,most likely watch him meet with someone he knew and even more likely watch him get socked in the face for it. But tonight Jason had plenty on his plate already and he worried that time might be the real enemy looming in the shadows of all this mess.