[IC] In Defense of the Guild: Vault

Started by Throndir, June 22, 2016, 07:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throndir

[info]Ryine, Jornathel, Kin[/info]
[spoiler=Open/close for music]http://www.youtube.com/v/rUHB-KPV7pc&autoplay=1[/spoiler]

It was already late in the night. Past midnight even, and the only sources of light were from the various lanterns lit about the guild's courtyard and the streets beyond. It was quiet in this immediate area where the guild hall stood, yet you knew that most of the activity was further and deeper into the city. The finals of the Tournament of Ternadan was still in full swing after all. The majority of your guild members were out there at the arenas cheering for their favorite team alongside thousands of others who gathered to view the spectacle of the final fight in the final day of the New Years Festival.

Yet there were a few of you who stood by at the guild, from either misery from previous defeats earlier, lack of any sort of interest in the proceedings happening at the arenas, tired from the day's activities, or simply drunk from the over consumption of alcohol during the day's festival events.

The fifty who stood by at the quiet halls simply passed the time waiting for their companions to return again. It would be a grand evening. The final two groups facing off against each other were none other than members from their guild, not a small feat for any guild in the large bustling city filled with hundreds of organizations. Regardless of who won, there would be celebration to be had.

It was then that you heard something. Someone yelling in the distance. You heard the warning shouts as some of your fellow guild members unseeable, but within earshot, claimed of an 'attack'. You didn't think much of it. After all, you very well knew that the guild was full of people who would more often than not over react from the slightest of things. Not to mention that more than half of the people who stayed behind were simply drunk. They were likely seeing things.

Someone near you shouted for them to shut up, but the yells grew more insistent, you were half inclined to see what was actually wrong. But you never had that chance. In a loud ear-splitting crack, the magical and seemingly impenetrable doors of the guild hall was forcefully opened, shattered as splinters of wood exploded and dust from the ancient oak scattering and filling the immediate area of the double doors. Shortly after that, the various windowed glass panes higher up, lining the walls of the guild hall too, shattered, with the glass pieces splintering even further as they fell and smashed against the cold floor.

Arelia

"Kin, Jornathel, Ryine, come with me!" It was Arelia shouting above the crowd as intruders began to pour in from the now open windows. Each of them wore an emblem, similar in style to the ones each of you wore. Yet it was distinctly different.

Arelia's voice almost sounded worried, though she kept a stern gaze at each of the guild members as they gathered. She began moving away from the fight that was occurring, literally at their doorstep, and instead pulled the three guild members deeper into the hall.

She would cut off any arguments that the guild members would throw at her, but she eventually began explaining.

"If you haven't recognized them already. That was the Guild of Teras'nor. Normally where I'm about to lead you is restricted to almost everyone. Even the elite members that disappeared with our guild leader would have not been allowed. But if that particular guild is here, that means they only have one goal, and with the rest being gone... It falls down to us."

Eventually, the guild members made their way to an end of the hall, facing a set of large doors.

It was the Guild Vault. It was the domain of Arelia, as she handled many of the guild's transactions, book-keeping, reparations, and repairs. She mumbled some sort of words, and the vault's doors began to glow, and soon enough it was opened. You notice some sort of crystal-like material, or glass, lining the walls of the newly opened room, but it was pitch dark beyond the portal, making it harder to see what was beyond. The look of concern on Arelia's features were hard not to miss.

"Something's not right. The entrance should be lighted as it was opened. The protective magic we have on the vault should glow." She pulled out a rapier on her side, as well as a gladius for her other hand. She touched the crystal-like wall as she began going through the entryway.

"The protective magic... it's gone."

Throndir

[info]RP Opportunity: Up to 500 exp for your introductory post.

Roll stealth, and perception if you choose to follow Arelia.[/info]

Linwelin

Kin slams his drink down on the table in frustration as the guild hall is breached. "REALLY? I only JUST got back from the arena infirmary. I finally get to relax, then THIS!" He was ready to go full-force on the incoming crowd, but picked out Arelia's voice in the turmoil. With all the main guild leaders in unknown, undisclosed locations, Arelia was essentially the top authority in the guild. And she most likely had a clue what was going on. Kin was just thankful that Ana was with Katrias today, and hoped that they didn't get involved.

Without hesitating, Kin ran toward Arelia, noting the emblems worn by the invaders on the way. He felt like he'd seen it before, but wasn't recalling exactly where he might have seen it. Finally, he reached the end of the hall, having dodged and ducked past multiple foes in the process. "Lia, what in the nine hells is going on here?"

Quote"If you haven't recognized them already. That was the Guild of Teras'nor. Normally where I'm about to lead you is restricted to almost everyone. Even the elite members that disappeared with our guild leader would have not been allowed. But if that particular guild is here, that means they only have one goal, and with the rest being gone... It falls down to us."

Kin listened intently, and with her mentioning the restricted areas, his expression became grave. The Lia he knew would never, on her life, let anyone in there. "Ah, Teras'nor...This situation is beyond dire, huh..." Kin looked at Arelia. "What's their goal? I didn't realize we had anything more than a rivalry with Teras'nor. And probably more importantly, what do you need us to do?"

It was then that they came to the vault, into which he'd never actually seen. But the notes of concern on Arelia's face as she examined the entryway were alarming.

Quote"The protective magic... it's gone."

"They must have somehow nulled the magic around the guild. How else could they break down that door? I've heard it's barred much more than mere men from entry." Kin paused, then looked to Arelia. "This is their goal, isn't it, Lia? Down here." The halfling's mind calls back to the the raffle a year or two ago where they received items produced by the guild relic. When he'd asked to see the relic, he was denied without a real chance for argument. "...The sword?"
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Oath

As the invaders poured into the windows, Ryine looked up from his drink, begrudgingly. He rose with a howl, unsheathing Eclipse. "After that last match, people have the nerve to interrupt the festivities? Eclipse. We're going in." His tone was quiet, yet violent. He began to stalk the intruders. It didn't matter who they were; he just knew that they weren't here for fun.

Before he could get more than a few feet from the table, he heard Arelia shout for him. A personal request to follow her. He quickly scanned the room looking for familiar faces, and seeing that there were enough around that he recognized to get the job done, he followed as ordered. They seemed to be going in the direction of the vault.

The vault.. The greatest doors in the guild, so naturally also my greatest enemy. However, I'll be the one to end them. Not these ruffians. I think they say the enemy of your enemy is your friend or something like that. As much as it loathes me to think it, perhaps today I'll become the door's greatest ally.

As they approached the door, Ryine noticed something was amiss. Perhaps ajar. "Someone has beaten us to the door? Is it safe? Would it be possible for someone to already be inside?" His heart was racing. His greatest foe could not be bested by someone aside from him. He readied Eclipse, and tried to peer into the darkness. Checking that each of his allies was ready as well.

[spoiler=Rolls!]
Stealth: [blockquote]Rolled 1d20 : 8, total 8[/blockquote]
Perception: [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+7 : 3 + 7, total 10[/blockquote]
[/spoiler]

Linwelin

[info]Forgot Kin's Rolls >.>
[blockquote]Perception:  1d20+14 : 11 + 14, total 25[/blockquote]
[blockquote]Stealth:  1d20+17 : 14 + 17, total 31[/blockquote][/info]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Manzokushi

Jornathel and Sytheer had only recently returned to the guildhalls. They had been out deep in the forests these past few days spending time basking in the solitude. Though it came as a shock, it was good to be back amongst friends celebrating and cheering over one another's successes and failures in kind. It was a great notion to get a drink before heading home and calling it night. But as with all things when one let's their guard down, it is in those moments that an enemy will find weakness.

The sounds and commotions were sudden without any prediction. Jorn took note of Kin, always his companion in arms, and the call of a woman's voice. This was not the time to tarry and piece it together, perhaps answers would come on the way. The moon elf whispered under his breath as they "Goddess bless us this night, and let your moon light pierce any who should dare to do your champions harm."

Quote"If you haven't recognized them already. That was the Guild of Teras'nor. Normally where I'm about to lead you is restricted to almost everyone. Even the elite members that disappeared with our guild leader would have not been allowed. But if that particular guild is here, that means they only have one goal, and with the rest being gone... It falls down to us."

The name Teras'nor did not ring a bell. Perhaps these actions had happened in his absence. No matter this guild had chosen to cross sword with Galas'nor and this would be their last mistake. "I am not familiar with this guild, that you speak of. But whomever they are you have my blade."

Quote"The protective magic... it's gone."

A vault of some kind is where the group had ended up. It was quite impressive to behold but it did not take Jorn any time to recognize that all of the protective energies had been removed. "Well I suppose we are on guard duty until help arrives. While we wait could someone explain to me who this Teras'nor is and why they would be interested in attacking us."

He passed his thoughts to Sytheer, "Keep your ears up in case someone attempts to get the drop on us my friend."

[spoiler]

Jorn Rolls
Perception: [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+2 : 18 + 2, total 20[/blockquote]
Stealth: [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+7 : 15 + 7, total 22[/blockquote]

Sytheer Rolls
Perception: [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+1 : 1 + 1, total 2[/blockquote]
Stealth: [blockquote]Rolled 1d20+8 : 4 + 8, total 12[/blockquote]

[/spoiler]

Arelia

Once the three of you entered along with Arelia. The guild banker spoke some words again, and the door behind you closed shut. You noticed it wasn't sealed all the way, potentially to let other allies come help. The lights from the guild hall vanished, leaving you in complete darkness. Arelia's two weapons began to glow soon after that however, leaving enough light to see the way ahead.

"A little bit of history then." Arelia said as she began leading the way down into the light-less entrance one step at a time, keeping her eyes alert peering into the darkness ahead. Both of her weapons put out a blue-colored glow, which cast enough light for the companions to realize that the walls, ceilings, and even the floor that they walked upon was made out of crystal, or some sort of glass-like material similar to it. The light reflected throughout the crystals, though seemed to diffuse the further the light shone out.

"A couple hundred years ago, Teras'nor and Galas'nor were both one single guild." Arelia explained. "It's why their mark mirrored ours so completely. Though, where they believe the ends justified the means, so to speak, many of us did not share those same sentiments. Back then they had proposed the elimination of an entire nation, our guild leader opposed the idea. I myself would have probably agreed with Teras'nor's assessment of things, but it wasn't my place to disobey, nor did I have the power to even if I wanted. It was because of that dispute then that the current leader of Teras'nor, Caelum, among many, many others, split from our guild, taking with them one of the two artifacts our guild carries. Theirs is the Tome of Galas'nor, and ours-", she looked towards Kin specifically confirming his thoughts. "The Sword of Galas'nor."

"For awhile it was guild members against guild members. Friends against friends who soon became enemies. I remember it as if it was yesterday. The guild had split in uneven terms. And for a few decades after that, there were open hostilities. Our guild leader had successfully prevented their plans, yet not without cost. There were quite a few who quit altogether on both sides and it took another few decades for our leader to salvage and repair the guild's reputation as well. But eventually things calmed down. Most of the original members of both guilds had already passed, save for the more longer-lived ones. The conflict was forgotten. There was peace, if only strained by those who still remembered."

"It's not something that is talked about much anymore. And ever since our guild leader just took off a few decades ago, leaving me, the guild's forced banker in charge. Well, let's just say I didn't bother explaining to every new recruit our colorful history. On the surface we're much like any other adventuring guild out there. It doesn't surprise me that neither of you three have heard, even when you are among the most veteran members of the guild as it stands."

"The only reason they could be back is for the artifact still left within our guild's vaults. In some ways their Tome is useless without our Sword. But if they were to strike, this very night would have been the best, with most our members out at the arenas. Never underestimate our enemies. And their leader, Caelum was one to always have multiple plans happening all at once for his goals. It wouldn't surprise me if the reason why we had so many guild members in the semifinals and the finals was because of strings Teras'nor pulled behind the scenes."

"That idiot Caelum should already know that I would be in charge of the sword in our leader's absence. He wouldn't suspect that I break one of our leader's rules of letting other members enter the vault, after that conflict centuries ago. I still have qualms of course, but I'm no fool. Even if he has something to catch me off guard, he at least wouldn't suspect you three."

"So, yes Ryine. Even if no one is already in the vault, we can expect someone to come very soon."

Throndir

Soon enough, the passage down lead to an open area. Crystals jutted from each angle of this particular cave. Like the passage before, the walls, ceiling, and floor were made from the same shiny and translucent material.

It was a large room, with a high ceiling, and you wondered how far underground it was. There were all sorts of treasure, and piles of gold littered through out the entire cavern-like structure. Treasures aplenty with all sorts of other items simply stacked in piles. Countless gems and priceless jewelry littered the floor. It almost seemed like some sort of lair for a dragon.

At the center of the room was the crowning piece, that even with the darkness that covered the rest of the large hall, seemed to generate a bright light piercing the darkness around it. Structures of large crystals jutted from that centerpiece, and at the very top of the mound of crystals was a sword, blade downwards, embedded into the crystals beneath it.

The entire scene would have looked pristine, if not for an oddly shaped entrance carved from the walls itself.  Arelia had begun to shout out a warning the moment she noticed the odd tunnel. But it was cut off as three blades from seemingly out of no where launched out at her. She managed to quickly pull out her blades to deflect all three of them.

Xantaeus Aldorn

"I am the servant of god, and the messenger of his justice. Where devils and the heathen walk, and so shalt I break them with my rods of iron. And so shalt I dash them into pieces, like a potters vessel. Ye who listens, rejoice with trembling. For the judgement is near for those at the ends of the earth."

The figure who spoke smiled wickedly in the light of from the sword in the crystal. He had a pair of white angelic wings, and his robes looked to be one of a priest. Yet his facial expression seemed unhinged - crazy even. The spectacles he wore reflected the light, which only added to the strangeness of the figure before them.

Throndir

[info]Roll for initiative. State any actions/spells/buffs that you may have taken before entering the room.[/info]

Linwelin

This was one of those rare moments Kin quietly listened, as the information was something he'd wondered about for a long time. Who were Teras'nor? Why were they our rivals? Who are our leaders? What is our guild's purpose? Kin had been in the guild for a long while, but these questions have never been answered. In a way, he found it funny; it sounded like Arelia wasn't against telling this information, he just needed to ask. When she began talking about their plan to attack during the apex of the tournament, Kin had to admit the cleverness. This Caelum character certainly knew how to plan out an ambush and assault.

"Smart." Kin paused. "I had not realized the sword was that important. Are these artifacts really so powerful?"

It was then that they entered the crystalline room, and his question was more or less answered. "...Yup, it's important. This has been below the guild this whole time!?" His jaw was dropped in amazement. The halfling almost expected a large hoard of gold, or a dragon to be within the enormous halls. But, it was practically empty. "What's the point of this hall?"

Before he could get his answer, things got chaotic. Arelia was immediately barraged by blades, with a rather off-putting figure standing before them. "Lia!" Kin shouts, rushing over to her and drawing his sword, directing it at the 'angelic' figure. "I don't know what god you worship, but just because she's got horns doesn't mean she's some evil being. There's nothing just about this. Shouldn't you know that?" Kin pauses, then says bluntly, "You really suck at being an angel."
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Linwelin

[info]Activating Formless Dance stance

[blockquote]Initiative:  1d20+7 : 16 + 7, total 23[/blockquote][/info]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

Throndir

[info]Ryine or Jorn, going to roll initiative? Going to skip initiative count by around 9/23/16 and move on to combat/next scene.[/info]

Oath

[spoiler=Super late to the party initiative.]
This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 1d20+6 : 18 + 6, total 24
Sword is readied, as stated in previous post :O sorry for the delay guys.
[/spoiler]