A Lesson in Roughin' It

Started by Linwelin, February 02, 2016, 12:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linwelin

You were all surprised at the beginning of the week with the announcement of a new class on Wednesdays. A Survival course, which as far as you could tell meant a new teacher, since the current staff at the academy didn't seem to have anyone to teach the subject at the caliber of the other classes. For the two days leading up to your Wednesday class, the academy was a-buzz with gossip of the curriculum change. But there was still no news. What was this class going to be like?

The morning finally came, and upon arrival to school, you proceeded to the track field as instructed. There, you were greeted by hiking bags set in rows, one for each student, and a sole man sitting in a folding chair, watching your approach expectantly. He seemed to be in his thirties, with brown hair and blue eyes. You couldn't be sure from his sitting position, but he seemed fit and of average height. beside his chair was a similar bag to the rest, though obviously more worn. Once you were closer, he stood up to address you all.

"Good morning! I'm Mr. Daniel Rask, and I've been assigned as your Survival teacher starting today." The murmurs rose of other students with whisperings of the St. Jude. It seemed that the past few days had led to some speculation about this possibility. "I realize that many of you come from prestigious households, and as such do not know much of the wilds. You may even be scared of them." He turned turned his rather stern face into a smiling one. "That's where I come in. You see, as a trainer, there will times were you are stuck spending the night out of town. Sometimes, the environment might even be perilous, depending on what kind of trainer you wish to be. I want to show you that it can be fun, and welcoming, too. After all, the best Pokemon are often far from civilization, and the most beautiful locations are within the depths of places people rarely wander. Some day, I hope you can experience those things. So."

Daniel stops his small speech and motions to the bags before you. "To start things off, we're going on a nature hike. Nothing too intense; we'll be hiking the northern forest up to the base of the mountains. I've packed all the things you might need. Once we find a spot, we'll sit down to eat. Oh, right." Dan walks to his backpack on the ground and digs out a good-size zip-lock bag. "In case you haven't eaten yet, I made these. You'll want the energy."

There were various energy bars in the bag, all home-made. Though hesitant, after taking the first bite, you realize that they're delicious, almost candy-like.

"Now then, grab your packs. They're all the same. Let's go check out the hills."

[info]RP as you like here, I'll be asking for skill checks at a later point.[/info]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

?Why did your first encounter end up as yourselves?? -Ella

?What'd he drop?? -Lance, asking about loot from a slain enemy.
?Well, he dropped his arms.? -Linwelin, after slicing off said enemy's arms.

Fayleen: "It's my sister..."
Kedric: "Did she fall into a hole? THAT SOUNDS GLORIOUS!"
Fayleen: "No! I mean, what, how did you even-" -Throndir
*Her sister had actually fallen in a hole.

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
"Because no one else thought of it." - Kryas Windsell
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Throndir

Fayleen

The energy bars were delicious, and the student wondered if there was anything special made to create the morsels. She decided then that she'll look up energy bar recipes. Classes weren't normally Fayleen's strong point, but this particular one seemed interesting. At the very least the free food was a plus.

She listened to the teacher carefully, she had heard the rumors after all. From what she was hearing he was a ranger too. That piqued her interest quite a bit.

When the teacher finally finished speaking, she had begun a quick stretching routine.

Mysticsage

Grey stood in the back of the class, he had not been planning for this kind of physical gym class when he had signed up, but his time on that Island had made it clear that he needed to learn a thing or two if he wanted to survive in this world. Though he was  far from the most fit person here. His lanky average form did little to instill confidence in his physical aptitude. He probably weighed less then a lot of the other students who were already preping for their travels. Everything being equal he knew he would have to depend on his Pokemon to much to make it through he had to change that. Make himself into something that his pokemon could depend on for a change maybe this would be his first step. Most likely not but this was at least something.

He began doing stretches far away from the other students but still close enough to see the teacher. His elder sister's concerned face popped into his head at the moment. She was am alumni of the school though he wondered if anyone would have made the connection. She had been a star student one of the best in the school for battling. Himiko had been a gift from her for one of his birthday's since she knew he wanted to try his own means. She had suggested the academy one night instead of him trying to run off on his own into the mountains to walk across the world. She and Mira the young starlet of the competition spent the better part of a month stopping him from leaving the house and instead worked to get him into the academy. They promised to keep it all a secret from his parents till after he was going to leave. Now here he was looking for his own path.

"I've got to make sure I try new things as much as I can."
He mumbled to himself he would find his path.

Oath

Lynne Lockley

Before Dan could even introduce himself, Lynne was pointing at him with her mouth agape. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE!? DON'T TELL ME YOU'RE A TEACHER" Her outburst likely struck those around her with surprise, after all they concidered her to be calm and collected, the type of girl who could take charge of a situation when the chips were down. But Lynne had many memories of this so-called teacher from the shipwreck she had been involved in not too long ago. Some were fond, some less-so, but to imagine that this guy was a teacher. He certainly didn't look like one. He prattled on about the dangers of hiking, but after what had happened on the island, a hike around Xan Academy, even in the more "dangerous" zones was a literal walk in the park. She was however, quite thankful for the energy bars. Dan was a good guy at heart, but it would be hard to rely on him as a teacher.

Linwelin

[info]Starting this mission. Others may still join if they wish. But as soon as I resolve the rolls this is closed.[/info]

Daniel blinked a few times. "I know that voice..." He muttered to himself. Upon seeing a flabbergasted Lynne, his own eyes widened! "Lynne! I didn't expect to see you here! So you're a student at Xan Academy. Small world." Dan smiled at her exasperation. "Yes, I am the teacher. Looks like you'll be stuck with me a while longer!" He teased.

Once the group had gathered up the prepared gear, Daniel addressed them all once more. "Alright, now that everyone's suited up, let's head to the hills. Oh, first order of business." Daniel turned with a serious expression, but then smiled. "Call out some of your Pokemon! I'm sure they would enjoy walking around with you all." Dan drew out one of his Pokeballs. "Come on out, Bolt! Let's go for a walk!" After the releasing flash of light cleared, you all saw a Shinx take form, letting out a joyful chirrup, excited to move out. He was surprised, however, at the large crowd of people, looking up at Dan in a bit of confusion. But seeing that Dan wasn't worried, Bolt decided not to mind.

[info]Everyone roll one each of Athletics, Survival, Perception, Intuition and Stealth. Each of these will determine the kinds of events you face. You may opt out of rolls if you wish, but you must make at least one.[/info]
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

[spoiler=Quote Collection]"It could be a rock that was intricately chiseled into...a rock." - Throndir

Romanian Dumitri writes "Writing for the sake of writing, Going to beat that Maeve. What is she trying to do writing MORE than me?! I swear she's not going to take my place as the most buff occult reporter. She doesn't hold a candle!"
_
World-renowned author and chronicler, Kryas Windsell, presents: "The Bestiary of Galas'nor"

Quote from the Author:
_

"Oh so there's a wizard? With magic pills? LET'S FEED IT TO RANDOM PEOPLE" -Throndir, refering to 'A Strange Visitor' RP[/spoiler]

Oath

[info]Will RP later, getting the rolls down!
Athletics: [blockquote]Rolled 2d6+1 : 5, 3 + 1, total 9[/blockquote]
Survival: [blockquote]Rolled 3d6+1 : 1, 6, 1 + 1, total 9[/blockquote]
Perception: [blockquote]Rolled 4d6+1 : 6, 3, 1, 2 + 1, total 13[/blockquote]
Intuition: [blockquote]Rolled 3d6+3 : 6, 5, 2 + 3, total 16[/blockquote]
Stealth : [blockquote]Rolled 1d6+1 : 6 + 1, total 7[/blockquote]

Mysticsage

[info]
will rp based off rolls
Athletics
[blockquote]Rolled 2d6-1 : 4, 4 - 1, total 7[/blockquote]

Perception
[blockquote]Rolled 3d6+2 : 2, 6, 3 + 2, total 13[/blockquote]

Intuition
[blockquote]Rolled 2d6+4 : 3, 3 + 4, total 10[/blockquote]

Stealth
[blockquote]Rolled 1d6-1 : 6 - 1, total 5[/blockquote]

[/info]

Mysticsage

[info]Missed Survival oops
[blockquote]Rolled 2d6-1 : 3, 3 - 1, total 5[/blockquote]
[/info]

FoxyPox

I stumbled into the group, bearing a quaint messenger bag chock full of mostly useless trinkets, a textbook on edible plants, six granola bars (and twice as many candy bars), binoculars (Which in my case were two telescopes taped together), and other miscellaneous amateur hiker paraphernalia. I had to sprint to reach the class on time, and with my immeasurably pathetic endurance, it was quite impossible to make it. Oooh, why did I oversleep today ,of all days!? I also got lost, twice. Eventually some nice upperclassman pushed me down the right hallway, out to the track. I ran over, out of breath five minutes past but still going.

"Sorry I'm late, teach!"

I then flopped onto the ground, exhausted.

After I got my bearings again, I picked one of the backpacks left and consolidated the necessities. Three sketchbooks would be more than enough, but to bring the pastels or the markers...?

Promptly sorting out the fact that I would definitely not be able to lug an entire art studio out to pasture and resorting simply to one sketchbook, one pencil, one eraser, I released my Pokemon and shouldered my pack. The weight was... bearable, but only just. I made a mental note to sign up for some weight training courses later. It was a wonderful day out and they were all happy to be outside. Even Rose, surprisingly, though if more dust was kicked up that would soon change.

[info] Athletics:[blockquote]Rolled 1d6+1 : 1 + 1, total 2[/blockquote]
Survival:[blockquote]Rolled 1d6+1 : 6 + 1, total 7[/blockquote]
Perception:[blockquote]Rolled 2d6+1 : 1, 1 + 1, total 3[/blockquote]
Intuition:[blockquote]Rolled 3d6+3 : 3, 1, 4 + 3, total 11[/blockquote]
Stealth:[blockquote]Rolled 2d6+1 : 3, 2 + 1, total 6[/blockquote][/info]

Throndir

Fayleen Ains

[info]Athletics:
[blockquote]Rolled 4d6+6 : 2, 4, 3, 6 + 6, total 21[/blockquote]

Survival:
[blockquote]Rolled 3d6+6 : 5, 4, 3 + 6, total 18[/blockquote]

Perception:
[blockquote]Rolled 4d6-1 : 3, 5, 2, 2 - 1, total 11[/blockquote]

Intuition:
[blockquote]Rolled 3d6 : 3, 1, 3, total 7[/blockquote]

Stealth:
[blockquote]Rolled 2d6+6 : 3, 6 + 6, total 15[/blockquote][/info]

Linwelin

The hike into the mountains behind the school turned out to be a lot more interesting than you'd first imagined. It had never really occurred to any of the student body to venture out into these mountains, so seeing that there was still land untouched by Celadon City nearby was surprising. After around 20 minutes, however, you begin to realize why it was good you had not wandered far without guidance. The incline into the mountains was becoming steeper, and the terrain was more mountainous and rocky. Caverns were even appearing here and there. The hike was a bit demanding, but you were all taken aback by how much depth and life the area had; it was considerable the schools "backyard", after all. Around 40 minutes later, Daniel stops at a small, but unremarkable clearing and turns to address the group.

"Here we are!" All of you looked around, not really seeing why he chose this spot. Seeing your confusion, Daniel spoke up about what he had planned."I did say it wouldn't be too intense, but I never said all we'd be doing is walking! The only thing I brought with me for lunch was water and spices. Today, we'll be gathering for our meals. Bring me anything you find, and I'll let you know if it's usable. Do NOT taste any of it." He paused for effect, making sure that command sunk in. "For the most part, I want you to look for fruit, berries, and mushrooms. But you don't need to spend your entire time gathering. Feel free to wander around the area. I chose this spot because it's central to various mountain habitats. I encourage you to explore. Due to your potential newness with navigation, I convinced the academy to rent gps devices that home in on the locator I have on my person. Just follow this device to return here once you're ready."

With that, Dan signaled you off and began looking around the camp grounds with Bolt. It seems he would be joining in the gathering efforts, at least for a little while.

Foxy and Lynne

The two of you ended up heading in the same direction as you explored. It seemed your guts told you to look around a more crag-like area of the woods, and soon enough you stumbled across a cave. Not only did it seem an interesting location, but it occurred to you both that a different assortment of mushrooms might grow in caves. Thus you both took out your flashlights and headed inside.

Once inside, you find that the environment was especially damp and humid, and you soon stumbled upon a plethora of mushrooms. You spent a decent amount of time finding and picking healthy specimens, but Lynne noticed the sound of water. Not rushing, but a bit of splashing and dripping. Venturing further toward the sound, you come across a room with a small underground lake that seems to be indirectly lit with a blue, dim light; this made your flashlights remain necessary for detailed vision, but not necessary for tracking movement and forms. It seems to be a sort of 'water hole' for local wildlife, and after a while you realize that you weren't alone. Something was in the water!

[info]Find multiple mushrooms for lunch! You both manage to obtain 2 red and white mushroom, 2 fat, cylindrical mushrooms, and 3 squat, disc-like mushrooms that are whole enough for use

There's something in the water! Roll stealth and perception sneak up and gain a better idea of what you're dealing with.[/info]

Fayleen

The hike thus far had been a breeze to you, someone who made exercise a daily routine. It had been no more than a pleasant stroll. Definitely not what you'd expected from a survival class. Left with that thought, you decided to take the chance to challenge yourself. You made your way further north and came to a steep cliff face.

Perfect for rock climbing. And you might possibly find something useful where people won't normally search!

The climb itself was exactly what you were looking for, strenuous, but not over-exerting. You scurried right up the cliff side in no time. Upon reaching the top, you found yourself surprising a small group of rock Pokemon, who'd happened upon a small mineral deposit and were enjoying a meal. Past them, a small part of the forest looked to have been able to thrive at this altitude, and there were a couple fruit trees mixed among the small grove.

[info]Found Fruit Trees! Found a group of Roggenrola![/info]

Grey

The hike had taken a lot out of you. An hour long walk through rough terrain at your current stamina left you a bit sore. But at the same time, this was the kind of strain that you knew you needed. The main drive for you attending the survival class was to gain strength and confidence in your own abilities.

Still, considering you needed to walk back as well, you decided to take it easy, and simply wander the forest around the camp ground, searching the ground for mushrooms and the like. You have a small amount of success, finding a couple small patches. But at certain times during your wandering, your gut tells you to look up into the canopy. There's movement each time, but your continue to miss what's causing it. Finally, you manage to see one before it moves. A small, red bird with a black beak and white belly. And there's more than one!

[info]You find 2 small, round mushrooms! You find 2 bird Pokemon![/info]

QuoteDo your rolls and/or RP as you wish. I'll be making separate threads for each encounter so it's less cluttered.
GG - Kin Sheel
GG - Vladimir Ludwik
Hero - Viktor Kozlav
SA - Uthaal Nailo
JE - Sebastian Zweigart
SH - Roman Ilya Pajari
EoD - Corey Grieve
EoD - Daniel Rask

_

Quote from the Author:
_

FoxyPox

The mushroom I was absentmindedly eating clunked to the ground with a massive bite out of it, only a tiny piece of the stem left. Rose sniffed it and then promptly squished it with her paw. Ergh... why'd I try eating one of these instead of the perfectly fine, absolutely safe granola bars I had in my pants pocket this whole time... I think teach said something about these Mushrooms. Can't remember, I'll ask him later. Besides, there was no time to lose... there's Pokemon afoot... *^*

[spoiler=Rolly Dice]
Stealth[blockquote]Rolled 2d6+1 : 3, 3 + 1, total 7[/blockquote]
Perception[blockquote]Rolled 2d6+1 : 1, 4 + 1, total 6[/blockquote]
Not. Dying. {Survival} [blockquote]Rolled 1d6+1 : 2 + 1, total 3[/blockquote]
[/spoiler]

Oath

Lynne Lockley

Lynne examined the mushrooms, taking note of what each looked like and comparing it with some studying she had done before hand. After some of her prior experiences, she knew it was important to know what was safe and what wasn't. The noise in the water made her wheel around on her feet, forgetting about the mushrooms for a moment. "Foxy, I think there's something in the water..."

[info]
Rolls!
Stealth: [blockquote]Rolled 1d6+1 : 6 + 1, total 7[/blockquote]
Perception: [blockquote]Rolled 4d6+1 : 6, 6, 1, 2 + 1, total 16[/blockquote]
[/info]