Chapter 1: First day on the job

Started by pringerbeam, July 27, 2017, 04:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mysticsage

"agreed," said Trevor after a moment. "Hey Gando can we talk over there for a moment?" he asked nodding off to a corner at the front of the cargo bay. I have a few questions and all of us huddling like this is bound to make people nervous."

pringerbeam

The isselessian arches his brow a little at your request and pauses for a moment.  "Okay, sure cadet."  He gives Zatch a hard look.  "Whatever your deal is get over it and for fucks sake don't shoot anyone."  He turns and waves you along to the corner.  You arrive at the corner of the docking bay, an empty spot except for a dusty emergency alarm and communications console built into the wall.  "Alright, here we are cadet.  We're now lurking in the corner instead of menacing a possible smuggler.  I know you're fresh out of the academy but you've got to know the advantage we have in keeping the pressure up on this captain.  If you weren't acting as a go between we would probably have cracked him open like a buzzard egg by now."

Mysticsage

"look, I couldn't sleep at night with the specter of this hanging over me if he really is smuggling something bad. Now he strikes me as not the type of guy to do that, but I need my beauty rest so I'd rather you get that scan and prove me right then let it go unanswered."  Trevor said running his hands through his hair as he could feel his own patience wearing thin. "But I worry that if we burn what good will we have we're putting evidence and or a crew's livelihood at risk."

"Now I have information that will force him to hand the entire ship over to you on a technicality, but the additional paperwork and man hours gives far to much time for things to go sideways. So I have a suggestion for a compromise you and Zatch agree not to repo his ship and in exchange the captain cooperates fully with the scan. Now if the captain refuses well then he's made his own fate."

"I don't think its the worst thing to bring common sense into a discussion of the law. You seem the type of guy who has been around long enough to understand that the law cares about both the law itself and the principals of those enforcing it in order to get things done well. So what do you say think its worth a shot? I'm going to give the information to you regardless I just would rather things work out without people being drug off in handcuffs if at all possible."

[info]Quick common sense check,
when cops suspect someone of smuggling enough to do this normally they have a whole team of people. And walking into a theoretical smugglers den with only two people seems dangerous if its true. So am I right in assuming there are probably more harbor officers waiting outside for the green light to come in? Or is this all done with robots at this point? [/info]

pringerbeam

The isselessian listens to your offer, arms folded with one hand scratching his chin as he does so.  He takes a minute to respond after you finish.  "So what you're saying is that he's guilty of something but you won't say what and whatever it is isn't as bad as smuggling but still will hand his ship over to us.  What else aren't you telling me cadet?  You asked for a scan of your belongings but you're still covering for these guys."  He curves his long neck to look back at the ship and his partner and the trade council agent still hanging out at the loading ramp.  "I'll be honest cadet this whole thing is looking off and you're not in a good spot.  Zatch had a point when he said this isn't a good start to your time on the station." 

[info]     The need for additional personelle would depend on the estimated need.  If there is only a handful of 'probably' unarmed perps, or if the arrest targets aren't expected to make a violent escape then there isn't much percieved need to bring backup.  From a regulations perspective, it is advised that whenever an officer is expecting to encounter any possible armed resistance they should call for additional backup to ounumber the target by at least 50%.  This is rarely ever pracitcal and is usually reserved for heavily armed or numerous adversaries.  Keep in mind, officers are permitted to 'shoot first and ask questions later' if they belive they are in danger.
     Similarly, the use of drones as shock troops/cannon fodder/to round up perps depends more on the local security force's access to riggers and drones.  While there are some situations where this is more common (very violent breaches into holdout positions for example, where they are used as expected casualties/expenses), the use of drones tends to be more common for more mundane needs such as traffic duty and even then usually restricted to very safe locations where offenders will actually obey autonomous drones instead of outright bashing them with the nearest blunt object.  This is done as a cost saving measure (most police sevices have long since given up on trying to use drones in mid-level risk situations... that's your job afterall).[/info]

Mysticsage

"Like you said I asked for the scan because I felt something was off, but I don't want to ruin people's life on my gut feeling without facts it's our job to have the burden of proof before making an arrest for a reason. Even more so, I don't like the fact that me doing my job and bringing this information to you the moment I found out about it is being seen as shady. All I'm saying is that there is a current risk since the captain is uncooperative that we could miss something, and you pushing that risk seems short-sighted. So instead of repoing his ship because he bought a used ship with unlisted compartments, now, we could not only get the scan we need but also make sure that the crew won't screw us in the process if we use a bit of tact, and if those rumors really are fake then its a win for both sides and if you do find the smallest evidence of actual smuggling then hit him with the entire manual."

I know what It's like to have to scrap your way up from nothing working with what you have that's why I got into this job in the first place. to make sure that everyday people are safe and can live there lives. My loyalty to the job is not the thing under review here if you have a problem with me you have channels to complain but I want to do my job just as much as you do. So what its going to be? Are we going to drag them off by force and possibly lose not only evidence but useful contacts, or are we going to give them a chance for a carrot and try to make sure that today ends with all angles covered?"

Mysticsage

[info]roll negotiation
Cha +negotation
[blockquote]Rolled 8d6 : 2, 3, 4, 5, 3, 6, 6, 6, total 35[/blockquote]
[/info]

Mysticsage

[info]spending 1 edge rerolling 6s
[blockquote]Rolled 3d6 : 4, 1, 4, total 9[/blockquote]
[/info]

pringerbeam

Gando's expression remains carefully neutral as he listens to your response.  "Okay cadet, I still have a lot of questions but if you think you can get him to fold then show your stuff but you only get one chance.  If the next time you walk down that ramp you don't have something then we go to the judiciary and everyone's day gets complicated." 

Mysticsage

Nodding he broke away from Gando and went to look for the captain trying his best to ready himself for what was to come next. This would be his first real moment where he was representing authority outside of training, Though he had already gotten past the hard stuff now all he had to do was give the Captain his choices. The key thing for Trevor was just making sure that something didn't go wrong in terms of paperwork after this. He might end up in some heat but this way he could at least validate his suspicions and make sure that the customs team did not get into hot water without realizing it.

pringerbeam

You are able to find the captain still in the cargo bay.  He is waiting near the doors to the main coridor of the ship with the three crewmembers that were working in the cargo bay.  The captain and one of the other crew members are taking breaths from vaporizers, exhaling out quicly disperising clouds that nonetheless leave a faint chemical tang to the air around them.  The captian has a weary expression on his face as his gaze seems to absentminedly look through the cargohold while deckhands' expression is one of irritation.  None of them notice you as you approach and you are able to cath part of their conversation, which they don't seem to be making any effort to conceal.
     "Hey if we're stuck on this station we better be getting paid." Says one of the crew members.  A big man, possibly a type B judging by his muscular bulk, with plenty of mismatched tattoos.  "Look, you know how it is.  Everyone will get paid, even if I have to dump the cargo on Barag'ho.  I haven't stiffed you guys before and I don't plan on starting.  If you want to jump ship to find another captain, you can do that too but I'm not tracking you down to deliver your cut if you want it in chips."  Explains the captain, a tinge of exhaustion in his voice.  As you get closer, one of the deckhands notices you and tugs his head in your direction.  The deckhand that was talking to the captain appears to have had more to say but clams up at the signal from his crewmate and joins his comrades in giving you a thoroughly dispassionate look.  The captain, seeing the signals as well turns to look at you.  "Hey there greenhorn, sorry about these guys.  Everyone's getting antsy with all the commotion."  He says as he fails to hide his fatigue behind an more upbeat look.

[info]Quick memory test (LOG + WIL) to see if you can remember everyone's names.[/info]

Mysticsage

[info]memory
[blockquote]Rolled 5d6 : 4, 1, 6, 1, 4, total 16[/blockquote]
[/info]

pringerbeam

[info]You remember the tatooed deckhand's name as Jeanpierre, a surly man that didn't make much conversation with you throughout the trip.  The other deckhands were Francis, distingushable by the cyberarm he got after a cargo crate crushed his original, and Luke who was sitting back and watching the conversation while he dragged on a vaporizer.[/info]

Mysticsage

"Do you want to talk in front of the guys or alone Captain? I managed to get you good news but I doubt it is what you want to hear at the moment." Trevor said trying his best to both keep a professional demeanor and yet keep his body language open and compassionate. The key in situations like this was to keep the air moving. Don't let anyone back you into a corner and keep an eye on all the exits just in case things went bad.

pringerbeam

The captain takes a quick look at the deckhands before looking back at you.  "How's about we take this elsewhere?"  He looks back at the deckhands.  "You guys sit tight and don't worry, everything is going to be alright.  Everyone is going to get paid and we can all take a break when we get the reactor cleaned out."  He turns around to head for the doors to the main corridor of the ship.  "We can talk on the bridge.  Place should be empty right about now."  He sticks the vaporizer his mouth and takes another puff.  "Sorry about the guys going cold on you.  It's been a while since we have been able to get a break and everyone is getting a bit worn.  This whole thing may have just pushed them a bit over the edge.  Since we're dropping a good amount of cargo off at Jerrus 5 everyone is looking forward to payday...  At least that's the plan, not going to work out if we can't get out of here soon."

Mysticsage

keeping his back to the exit he frowned as he heard the inconsistency about how much time they actually had, "Well like I said I have good news just probably not what you want to hear. I stuck my neck out and got them to agree not to impound your ship for having illicit compartments as long as you submit to a full scan to make sure you are not carrying any serious illegal goods. Refusing at this point is not an option or they will simply repo your ship and tear it apart at their leisure." He paused letting it sink.

"Besides, you have more time then what you are letting on I know because I plotted the course through the Tentacles for you. You were planning on going to the same destination and would have gone the long way if I hadn't been here, so surely two hours can be accounted for even less if you get them started immediately."