Arc 1 Clark Solo: New Town Old Tropes

Started by Mysticsage, July 06, 2017, 04:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mysticsage

Clark exits from his third-period class right after role call without much issue, mumbling something about needing the bathroom as he went. From watching how frantic all the teachers were he doubted that anyone would even take a second glance at an empty chair for the period and the art teacher had to demo a lesson as well. The stress the teachers were under was even more obvious to him than the other classmates due to his interactions in open air markets and less than savory auction houses. The teachers were sweating something, sweating something bad, and trying their best to cover for it.

All of them were coming with an identical ipad that they set to the side in addition to the papers and lesson plans that would be usual for the first days of class an expense that seems off for a school like this. His first two classes the teachers refrenced the tablet when they thought no one was looking or when they seemed to lose their train of thought. But if one was not looking for the oddity one would have simply thought the school was trying to keep better records and catch up with the times. Which from the general care of the school it was obvious they lacked the funds for that sort of thing.

Speaking of the school this free time gave you the space to gain a basic understanding of the school. It was obviously a building out of time the kind of school you would have expected was from some kind of cutting edge of public works back in the 60's. Warn from years of constaint weather and lack of protection from the forest and feilds that surrounded it. The building was two stories in that narrow and crampt way that was meant for a more populated city center then out in boonies.

The Gym, Cafeteria, and Lab rooms and a few teacher offices (closets) were on the first floor along with a handfull of class rooms. On the second floor were things like the nurse's office art rooms and home ec class along with the rest of the class rooms. Outside they had a cleared and fenced patched in the back mostly surrounded by wood that could be used for whatever countined for sports practice at this school. As you exit the art room you can hear people calling outside through the closed windows but the halls are otherwise dead helping with the heat but not by much.

Other then going outside, hiding in the bathroom, pretending to be sick at the nurse's office, or sticking out in the library was the best options outside of just roaming the halls. If anyone passes you by they don't give you a second glance the school has done away with things like hall passes expecting you to be responsible in general. Though your reputation may come to reflect repeated skipping if you are not careful resulting in someone calling home.  It was then that you remember that have access to things like a map and a basic school email and a directory through the comically bad school website. The only problem being that a large portion of the school was in a dead zone due to it being in the county and the password was on the back of your student id.

[info]
You have just under an hour to do as you like before class ends. Depending how little you care about this sort of thing you don't have to head back till the next bell
[/info]

pringerbeam

Clark gets outside and takes a stroll along the edge of the woods, trying to clear his head with the outside air.  He into the woods, wondering how far they reach and what kinds of local animals dwell there.  Rememering that he technically was suppoesd to be in class, he moved a little bit into the woods, just enought to keep a line of trees between himself and the school so that if someone looked out the window he would not be immediately visible as a stark contrast with the treeline as well as to hopefully gain some shelter from the sun and heat.  He continues to make the circuit until he either finishes circling the school grounds or he runs out of time.

Mysticsage

Clark moves through the surprisingly thick woods at the edge of the campus grounds that acted as a kind of natural fence of sorts. This Appalachian landscape rolled in and out of valleys in this entire region leaving long strips of forest and once fertile soil that was nowadays barren due to farming and mining over the decades. Most likely due to the school being public a sizable portion of this land seemed untouched at least at first glance. There were a few game trails and paths weaving in and out but it appeared for all purposes the school left these woods generally alone to do as it pleased only barely managing a barrier in the process. If these woods had ever been used for anything in the town it was obviously long out of service. The woods themselves after that first line of trees is much thicker and harder to traverse, however.

The thick underbrush makes it hard to move as he attempts to continue his circuit. In the process, he has passed by a group of boys passing a cigarette in a dark corner where they think they will not be noticed, A gym class during laps on what patch of turf was considered a lawn for this school, and a girl in glasses trying to wipe away tears hoping that no one noticed her tears trying the best to gather themselves. All told it seems like the usual high school life but the energy around the entire place was like a middle east dig. Even more so with this distance from the building something was roiling in those halls that made the hair on his neck stand on end.

[info]do me a favor and roll two dice for a perception[/info]

pringerbeam

[info]Perception[blockquote]Rolled 2d6 : 3, 3, total 6[/blockquote][/info]

Mysticsage

As Clark keeps walking making sure that he is not seen from the treeline does not notice right away as his foot gets caught on an upturned tree root. Pitching forward in the process arms wheeling for anything to grasp he ends up spinning and landing ass first look at the tree top. In the half seconds that felt like minutes, it registered that this was a rather large tree perhaps one of the largest in the tree line meaning that when he hits his head he just might not feel that pain afterward. As the adrenaline pumped and his heart caught in his throat stopping him from yelling out time caught back up and he fell without a way to catch himself. However, instead of hitting solid ground or tree he hit something soft and cottony that had been obscured by the brush.

"Heyyy- what's the deal I'm up I'm up teach~ no need to slam those books down like that."
groaned this air bag turned teenaged boy around your age, wearily rubbing his eyes coming out of a peaceful snooze away from prying eyes. He was using a worn cowhide bomber jacket as a blanket this giving you the most of the protection. As he finally came further out of sleep a look of realization. "Wait a second, you aren't Mr Micheals."

pringerbeam

Clark's response flies from hiw mouth before he has a chance to think it through.  "And you aren't a well endowed girl ready to make out with me.  I guess we both have to live with disappointment." Clark got to his feet and shrugged off the daze from the fall.  "So who are you, the grand druid of the class ditchers?"  Clark asked as he looked around to see if there might be anyone else nearby.  Peering into the woods before looking over his shoulder back towards the school in case a teacher was comming his way.

[info]Perception roll in case it's needed[blockquote]Rolled 2d6 : 3, 6, total 9[/blockquote][/info]

Mysticsage

Scanning the horizon you don't manage to see any teacher's coming as the boy you landed on stood and began to stretch. He looked about your age now that you've had a good look at him with messy brown hair and bright blue eyes complementing his smirk. He had that slight tan of someone who even at his age was used to working outside with worn jeans and muddy sneakers. "I don't know anything about any arch-druid. The name is Owen, Owen Law. I'm a member of the Gardening Club." He added that last bit almost automatically.

Noticing your glances back at the school as he brushed some detritus with a free hand from his jacket due to your fall he added. "If you are worried about teachers most have classes around this time. The school doesn't have enough resources to let many teachers have a rotating schedule and those that around have a list of usual suspects they are keeping an eye on." Looking you up and down this time for real he continues. "You don't seem like the type to be skipping classes, so what's got you stumbling into my fair weather napping spot? I don't recognize your face." He rubs a small bandage across the bridge of his nose that you swear was not there before when you glance back at him a second time.

pringerbeam

"I'm new.  Just getting out of the classrooms.  Too stuffy inside for my tastes...  Just what is the type to skip class by the way?  You're not one of those other kids hanging out to catch a smoke and there are places inside to sleep at.  So why are you out here?"  Clark waved one of his hands in the air, gesturing to edges of the small clearing.  "What's your story?"  Clark took a seat on one of the large tree roots and crossed his arms.  Leaning back for some comfort with his legs stretched out and crossed, he settles in a bit for comfort.  "Not your spot by the way, just another piece of woods."  Clark looks up to the tree canopy and watches the sunlight filter through.

Mysticsage

"Ah, that explains why I didn't know your face." He said nodding to himself, "I'll make sure to remember it since I'm horrible with names." Following your gaze from before he looked at the back of the school building before continuing with that same smirk. "This area is dying on the vine like grapes ever since my grandad was a kid. It makes people restless when they have nothing to do, like a fox who stumbles into a farm. You don't seem to have that sense about you. I've seen plenty of the class either trying to kill themselves to escape or just give up trying. But then every town has those people in them, doesn't it? They tend to find a path to follow given enough time to think about it or at least that's what my father says."

He ran a hand through his hair then, "As for me, I don't do too well in cramped spaces after a while on days like today even despite the heat I just have to get outside. So, on the occasional day where I've been up since four in the morning, I duck out of math and take a nap where the teachers can't give enough effort to come and find. I make sure to get my work handed in on time but if I cannot focus it's not worth anyone's time." he gives you a smirk followed by a long yawn. "Though that's the cross to bear from being born to parents who both need you up before dawn. And now I'm going to add after school responsibilities to the list for clubs. Just makes you want to pass out at the thought."

pringerbeam

"Whatever, anything that keeps my mind off of being stuck in this shithole helps as far as I'm concerned."  Clark continued to stare at the canopy.  "Mark me up for the 'kill myself trying to escape' crowd."  Clark looked at his watch to check the time, trying to gague how long he had before he had to go to the after-school clubs.

Mysticsage

"Noted," He laughed fully his voice carrying through the wooded area more than Clark may have liked. He still had lunch and two other classes to get through before he could get out to check with his clubs. Owen noticing the glance at the watch continue's "If you have to be somewhere its no problem to just leave. I'm sure we'll be seeing plenty of each other with how small this school is, so you do need to hold back and worry about me. In fact, I'm awake now thanks to your grand entrance so I might as well start heading back inside myself. I can show you a sneaky way in if you like."

pringerbeam

"Sure, might be useful for later."  Clark gets up and pats off his pants.  "Lead the way arch-druid Owen."

Mysticsage

"Follow the leader then," Owen said continuing to smirk, heading back towards the school he led Clark over to a small gardened area with a tree. Pointing up to an open window on the second floor Owen continued while leaning against the tree, "The nurse normally keeps her window open and spends enough time out of the office. Students athletic and quick enough should have no problem clambering up this oak without much trouble. Though there are a handful of weaker branches that you have to be careful of that if you weren't aware of might land you on your ass." With that he scampered up the tree like a monkey without a care in the world.

He stopped straddling one of the top branches and offered a hand, "Well, you coming or what?"

[info]give me an Athletics check with a bonus die if you accept his help.[/info]

pringerbeam

"I'm fine."  Clark looks around before running at the tree and kicking off the trunk.  Aiming to grab the thickest branch, he stretches out his arms gain purchase.
[info]Athletics check[blockquote]Rolled 4d6 : 5, 1, 4, 3, total 13[/blockquote][/info]

Mysticsage

Clark scampers up the tree refusing help feeling cocky and self-sufficient, however, he slightly misjudged the actual size of the tree is taller than he thought with less foot holds then Owen made it appear. In order not to lose his momentum and fall, as a result, he takes the last of his footing and attempts to spring up to latch onto a branch like a cat attempting to escape pursuit. Clinging to one of the upper branches. Not the most graceful of attempts, but he at least made it to a safe spot or that's what he thought until the branch he was clinging to began to creak and give way before he could regain his composure.

He would have fallen then with the branch in hand the 15 or twenty feet, butt first, as he had before. Luckily at the last moment, Owen stepped in and grabbed him by the back of the shirt and waist. "I told you the climb was trickier than it looked." He grunted as he took on the majority of your weight as you wouldn't fall. He took more effort to let you than making sure that you did not fall as you cleared the gap into the small nurse's room both of you panting heavily. "Glad I was there, or you probably would have gotten hurt if your luck would have kept going."